Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
i’d love this because i like a lot of the genes that people find triggering, and i’d want a way for every user to be comfortable viewing my lair while still showing off dragons i personally enjoy. it’s also why i tend not to put up certain familiars (portal watcher, ashpine widow) as regulars, and especially not on dragons i’ve bought from someone else’s pair

so yes, i support
i’d love this because i like a lot of the genes that people find triggering, and i’d want a way for every user to be comfortable viewing my lair while still showing off dragons i personally enjoy. it’s also why i tend not to put up certain familiars (portal watcher, ashpine widow) as regulars, and especially not on dragons i’ve bought from someone else’s pair

so yes, i support
34047237.png
73030014.png
[quote]it’s also why i tend not to put up certain familiars (portal watcher, ashpine widow) as regulars, and especially not on dragons i’ve bought from someone else’s pair[/quote] Even though I think it's kind of unreasonable to try to censor genes like this, this brings up the potential problem of familiars, which I don't think are as unreasonable to make a feature to block, because familiars and items don't get customized the way dragons do. That said, I think there are other ways to block images like this that the site doesn't have to implement itself. I don't know, though, if it's against the rules to use things like an ad blocker to block the site-generated images of their spiders and whatnot.
Quote:
it’s also why i tend not to put up certain familiars (portal watcher, ashpine widow) as regulars, and especially not on dragons i’ve bought from someone else’s pair
Even though I think it's kind of unreasonable to try to censor genes like this, this brings up the potential problem of familiars, which I don't think are as unreasonable to make a feature to block, because familiars and items don't get customized the way dragons do.

That said, I think there are other ways to block images like this that the site doesn't have to implement itself. I don't know, though, if it's against the rules to use things like an ad blocker to block the site-generated images of their spiders and whatnot.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I've posted in this thread before but I'm also going to add this since I've seen some people comment about load times: Ever since the dragon profile page revamp came out I've noticed that load times are a liiiitle bit slower when I'm bonding with my fams and navigating from page to page. I don't mind this because I love the new features (scenes! yay!) and the layout is very pleasing, but I definitely don't want more features that will slow load times when I'm trying to browse my lair or other's lairs. It's one of the reasons that changes to offspring lists or the option to hide unnamed hatchlings on the list will probably never happen, even though that's been requested often as well. All these little changes add up when you're tying to navigate quickly or even when you have bad internet. We have to remember that not everyone has lightning fast internet and that seemingly cosmetic changes might affect them in an extremely negative way or make the site so slow they don't want to play anymore. Quoting myself below because this is still how I feel: [quote name="lugia492" date="2020-06-03 10:13:49" ] I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is [u]my[/u] problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of [i]insert fear here[/i] it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that. Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said: [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-06-02 20:32:36" ] This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility. [/quote] [/quote] After a certain point we all have to look after ourselves. The site is 13+ so extreme stuff (graphic violence, extreme gore, nsfw, etc.) isn't allowed and will never be an issue. Anything that falls into the grey area of what [i]is[/i] allowed on the site and what you are [i]not[/i] comfortable with has to be something that the individual takes care of in my opinion.
I've posted in this thread before but I'm also going to add this since I've seen some people comment about load times: Ever since the dragon profile page revamp came out I've noticed that load times are a liiiitle bit slower when I'm bonding with my fams and navigating from page to page. I don't mind this because I love the new features (scenes! yay!) and the layout is very pleasing, but I definitely don't want more features that will slow load times when I'm trying to browse my lair or other's lairs. It's one of the reasons that changes to offspring lists or the option to hide unnamed hatchlings on the list will probably never happen, even though that's been requested often as well. All these little changes add up when you're tying to navigate quickly or even when you have bad internet. We have to remember that not everyone has lightning fast internet and that seemingly cosmetic changes might affect them in an extremely negative way or make the site so slow they don't want to play anymore.

Quoting myself below because this is still how I feel:
lugia492 wrote on 2020-06-03 10:13:49:
I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is my problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of insert fear here it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said:
Contaminate wrote on 2020-06-02 20:32:36:
This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias

No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility.

After a certain point we all have to look after ourselves. The site is 13+ so extreme stuff (graphic violence, extreme gore, nsfw, etc.) isn't allowed and will never be an issue. Anything that falls into the grey area of what is allowed on the site and what you are not comfortable with has to be something that the individual takes care of in my opinion.
FR+3

Hatchery
Art Shop (OPEN)
Lore Bits Masterlist
g2TOb2t.png
SOMEONE PLEASE
KEEP ME OUT
OF THE SCRYING WORKSHOP
3bOlZcm.png
No support. It would just bring a host of difficulties, such as how far should FR go in order to make sure everyone is comfortable? Should they make sure every single thing on this site can be censored, and if not how should they decide what to censor and what not to censor - popular vote?

If your trouble with jaguar/rosette/keel are so bad that you literally cannot play the game without panicking then I think it's time that you either quit FR or get help, because then we're so far into the 'my phobia is actively making my life difficult' territory that FR enabling you to hide from it does more harm than good long term.
No support. It would just bring a host of difficulties, such as how far should FR go in order to make sure everyone is comfortable? Should they make sure every single thing on this site can be censored, and if not how should they decide what to censor and what not to censor - popular vote?

If your trouble with jaguar/rosette/keel are so bad that you literally cannot play the game without panicking then I think it's time that you either quit FR or get help, because then we're so far into the 'my phobia is actively making my life difficult' territory that FR enabling you to hide from it does more harm than good long term.
by-knighterrant.png
I do like about this in theory, but the problem is that when is a visual phobia common enough to cause X thing to be censored? There are many common phobias, such as trypophobia or arachnophobia and it is pretty reasonable to ask for an option to hide things that will trigger people with those phobias.

But the problem is that what about the people with lesser-known phobias? Like I'm not sure how common it is for people who are afraid of dogs to get anxiety from just seeing pictures of dogs is. But it doesn't make it any less valid than more common ones such as spiders and other insects.

What I am getting to is that many things would need an option to be hidden because they cause discomfort for people, and it can be a pretty challenging thing to do. And I don't see a way to do this while being fair to everyone. And I think it's almost just a better option not to hide anything.
I do like about this in theory, but the problem is that when is a visual phobia common enough to cause X thing to be censored? There are many common phobias, such as trypophobia or arachnophobia and it is pretty reasonable to ask for an option to hide things that will trigger people with those phobias.

But the problem is that what about the people with lesser-known phobias? Like I'm not sure how common it is for people who are afraid of dogs to get anxiety from just seeing pictures of dogs is. But it doesn't make it any less valid than more common ones such as spiders and other insects.

What I am getting to is that many things would need an option to be hidden because they cause discomfort for people, and it can be a pretty challenging thing to do. And I don't see a way to do this while being fair to everyone. And I think it's almost just a better option not to hide anything.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.pngWQA384m.pngdEo6ta2.png
I absolutely support this.
Slippery slope arguments aside (because I am on mobile and don't have the energy to discuss logical fallacies), this specific suggestion is one that would probably help a lot of people deal have an easier time interacting with the central focus of this site: dragons.
Granted, I have no clue how difficult this would be programming-wise, but if there's something you can do to make this wonderful site easier for others to enjoy while not changing our own experience, why would you not want to at least try?

I absolutely support this.
Slippery slope arguments aside (because I am on mobile and don't have the energy to discuss logical fallacies), this specific suggestion is one that would probably help a lot of people deal have an easier time interacting with the central focus of this site: dragons.
Granted, I have no clue how difficult this would be programming-wise, but if there's something you can do to make this wonderful site easier for others to enjoy while not changing our own experience, why would you not want to at least try?

i can't support this. rather, i support it but don't see it happening.

the idea is there, it's solid, but finding a way to implement it is just not feasible with the way dragon images are currently generated and for other reasons i'll get into.

i would love to be able to hide clouded & leopard. i can't even glance at them. i physically react to the sight of them. someone posted a preview image of one in fleshy pink the day they were released and i actually vomited because my trypophobia is so bad.

i get around it by filtering genes when i search for auction house dragons, and luckily since they're not exactly popular i don't really run into them on dragon share--especially not in pink.

i know people who have similar reactions to plague primal eyes have to do much the same.

the problem is, people talk about ad-rev, but without overhauling the way dragon images are created and streamlining the whole system i don't know that there's a way to do this that wouldn't slow the site down even further. it already chugs on profiles more than it used to. the coli update slowed it down when that was released. when the site is grinding like that people don't play it either.

basically i think they'd pretty much have to redo the entire site in order to accommodate this, and the potential losses from the downtime that would cause + the lag and breakdowns and changes as they optimized the feature (because look how the profile roll out went) would be a bigger loss than the self-moderation that goes on now. there's no way to do this that won't affect everyone. it's not a matter of changing the experience for some without affecting others. that cannot actually happen because of the way dragon images work currently and because the site is already a spaghetti mess on the back end. (to the point that they're going through and trying to re-optimize some of the pages because it's that bad.)

i also don't think it's catastrophizing to ask 'where would the end of this be?' the point of accessibility changes is to actually make the site accessible, and the easiest way to do this would probably be to have a page of things you could filter.

but what goes on that page?

which things should people be able to opt out of seeing?

i know my problem with clouded and leopard is not one many people share, but they make me so uncomfortable that i get physical symptoms. would i be less deserving of concession than people who lose their appetite when they see pustules on plague skins?

say we get this, best case scenario. no lag at all, site rolls out with new image generation and none of it hangs on desktop or mobile and it runs perfectly at launch after minimal testing and revision.

every dragon gene should be on that page. every single one. i would be 100% for that.

every eye type should be on that page as well. primals, multigaze, glowing, goat, dark sclera, innocent--people have been outspoken about being squicked by all of these since their inception.

the color wheel should be on that page, because some colors are so saturated they induce migraines in people, and other colors (like coral) look so much like naked flesh that people actively use them in place of accents that are meant to reveal bare muscle and gore.

now we get into the tricky part.

items and UMAs.

there would need to be a tagging system on the back end that assigns a keyword to every single item and every single skin that the staff can use.

lets say the categories are things like 'multiple eyes, spiders, snakes, bugs, flesh, boils, holes,' etc.

easy to add with all new items, but they would also have to go back and tag every item released since the beginning of the site. UMAs would have to be keyworded as they're approved.

users cannot and would not be able to tag items themselves, mind, because that's how you end up with tag bloat like what happened to tumblr where you needed to have 15 or 16 variations of a word blacklisted in order to filter it properly because everyone had their own method of tagging. ('holes tw, cw holes, trigger warning: holes, trypo tw, tw trypo,' my list was an absolute behemoth.)

which means the staff, who are notoriously bad at communication with the userbase, would need to be interacting with it heavily to be as transparent as possible with categorization and which things are going on that filter page.

i need to reiterate: i am for the idea. i LIKE the idea. i would love to be able to hide the stuff that makes me *VISCERALLY ILL.*

but i do not see the site or its staff meeting the criteria to even begin a project like this now, or even in the near future.
i can't support this. rather, i support it but don't see it happening.

the idea is there, it's solid, but finding a way to implement it is just not feasible with the way dragon images are currently generated and for other reasons i'll get into.

i would love to be able to hide clouded & leopard. i can't even glance at them. i physically react to the sight of them. someone posted a preview image of one in fleshy pink the day they were released and i actually vomited because my trypophobia is so bad.

i get around it by filtering genes when i search for auction house dragons, and luckily since they're not exactly popular i don't really run into them on dragon share--especially not in pink.

i know people who have similar reactions to plague primal eyes have to do much the same.

the problem is, people talk about ad-rev, but without overhauling the way dragon images are created and streamlining the whole system i don't know that there's a way to do this that wouldn't slow the site down even further. it already chugs on profiles more than it used to. the coli update slowed it down when that was released. when the site is grinding like that people don't play it either.

basically i think they'd pretty much have to redo the entire site in order to accommodate this, and the potential losses from the downtime that would cause + the lag and breakdowns and changes as they optimized the feature (because look how the profile roll out went) would be a bigger loss than the self-moderation that goes on now. there's no way to do this that won't affect everyone. it's not a matter of changing the experience for some without affecting others. that cannot actually happen because of the way dragon images work currently and because the site is already a spaghetti mess on the back end. (to the point that they're going through and trying to re-optimize some of the pages because it's that bad.)

i also don't think it's catastrophizing to ask 'where would the end of this be?' the point of accessibility changes is to actually make the site accessible, and the easiest way to do this would probably be to have a page of things you could filter.

but what goes on that page?

which things should people be able to opt out of seeing?

i know my problem with clouded and leopard is not one many people share, but they make me so uncomfortable that i get physical symptoms. would i be less deserving of concession than people who lose their appetite when they see pustules on plague skins?

say we get this, best case scenario. no lag at all, site rolls out with new image generation and none of it hangs on desktop or mobile and it runs perfectly at launch after minimal testing and revision.

every dragon gene should be on that page. every single one. i would be 100% for that.

every eye type should be on that page as well. primals, multigaze, glowing, goat, dark sclera, innocent--people have been outspoken about being squicked by all of these since their inception.

the color wheel should be on that page, because some colors are so saturated they induce migraines in people, and other colors (like coral) look so much like naked flesh that people actively use them in place of accents that are meant to reveal bare muscle and gore.

now we get into the tricky part.

items and UMAs.

there would need to be a tagging system on the back end that assigns a keyword to every single item and every single skin that the staff can use.

lets say the categories are things like 'multiple eyes, spiders, snakes, bugs, flesh, boils, holes,' etc.

easy to add with all new items, but they would also have to go back and tag every item released since the beginning of the site. UMAs would have to be keyworded as they're approved.

users cannot and would not be able to tag items themselves, mind, because that's how you end up with tag bloat like what happened to tumblr where you needed to have 15 or 16 variations of a word blacklisted in order to filter it properly because everyone had their own method of tagging. ('holes tw, cw holes, trigger warning: holes, trypo tw, tw trypo,' my list was an absolute behemoth.)

which means the staff, who are notoriously bad at communication with the userbase, would need to be interacting with it heavily to be as transparent as possible with categorization and which things are going on that filter page.

i need to reiterate: i am for the idea. i LIKE the idea. i would love to be able to hide the stuff that makes me *VISCERALLY ILL.*

but i do not see the site or its staff meeting the criteria to even begin a project like this now, or even in the near future.
While I do love the concept of this and can totally understand why people would love this, myself included who would use this constantly, I do agree with concerns of page loading and the site slowing down. There's so many different dragon combos, dragons that exist, users with different preferences, the site working to those peoples and hundreds of other preferences.
While I would like this, it just feels like something that could be a problem website loading wise, so unless someone says there a way this can be done without the website slowing, someone who knows more about coding then me, I'd change my stance, but from what others have said and from websites ive experienced, for now I can't support.

There is also a great point Cantrip made above me. You can't regulate certain things, such as UMAs, staff isn't quick to respond, there's just certain issues that come up with this as a concept, that'd be too difficult to impliment, atleast how I see it.

Also can we PLEASE. PLEASE. Avoid invalidating people who support this or the people who made this thread by saying things such as 'get off the website' or go seek therapy? It's rude and comes off as attacking something they can't control, on things that bother them. Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean you get to invalidate it completely, even if it seems 'ridiculous'.
Making the website accessible to others, while staff doesn't HAVE to do, would make it better for the players experience, which is something that helps.

See it from the technical standpoint atleast, as Cantrip put it.
While I do love the concept of this and can totally understand why people would love this, myself included who would use this constantly, I do agree with concerns of page loading and the site slowing down. There's so many different dragon combos, dragons that exist, users with different preferences, the site working to those peoples and hundreds of other preferences.
While I would like this, it just feels like something that could be a problem website loading wise, so unless someone says there a way this can be done without the website slowing, someone who knows more about coding then me, I'd change my stance, but from what others have said and from websites ive experienced, for now I can't support.

There is also a great point Cantrip made above me. You can't regulate certain things, such as UMAs, staff isn't quick to respond, there's just certain issues that come up with this as a concept, that'd be too difficult to impliment, atleast how I see it.

Also can we PLEASE. PLEASE. Avoid invalidating people who support this or the people who made this thread by saying things such as 'get off the website' or go seek therapy? It's rude and comes off as attacking something they can't control, on things that bother them. Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean you get to invalidate it completely, even if it seems 'ridiculous'.
Making the website accessible to others, while staff doesn't HAVE to do, would make it better for the players experience, which is something that helps.

See it from the technical standpoint atleast, as Cantrip put it.
Jar of Vapors I collect Bottled Embers and Jar Of Vapors!
WishList
Bottled Embers
This is a tricky one. On one hand, I support accessibility very much, and I feel that it's reasonable to want to avoid particularly distressing content when you're playing a game. On the other hand, people have made strong points about it being unfeasible.

I think it's best to consider middle options. For instance:

Filtering select, commonly triggering, dragon characteristics. A survey could help determine what's most common. Yes, this'll leave out stuff, but it's better than nothing. For instance, Mosaic/Breakup give me a headache, but I'm sure that's a rare enough complaint that they wouldn't get filtered. I'd still rather have a common problem like Keel be filtered, even though the stuff I can't stand would still be shown, because it'll help more people.
Offering a "not" option in the Auction House filters. Selecting a few problem genes to exclude would be much more feasible than selecting all but the few problems to include. I suspect this would also make searches easier for a lot of people.
Offering an option to hide familiars when viewing bios. This is the only place you'd typically see familiars when not specifically looking for them, so it'd fix most surprise familiars.
Offering an option to hide the Random Dragon on the front page. I suspect this is less urgent since I at least have to scroll down to see it, but it's AFAIK the only player dragon you can't avoid seeing.
Showing a list of the dragon's colors and genes in the AH search, and offering an option to hide dragon pictures. This'd likely be a lot of work, but seeing a list could be convenient when quickly surfing dragons, I suspect.
Offering an option to hide certain genes in the Scrying Workshop, or keep them from coming up in Shuffle. It seems that as soon as I decide a gene won't work, Shuffle delights in giving me that gene every other time I click it.
Giving a chart on player profile pages (or in a new tab) that shows how often the player has each gene in their lair. This would allow players to know if there are unwanted genes, as well as let them see if there are favorite genes they'd be interested in. I think the stats would be really interesting to people as well.

As temporary measures, players could:
List genes they never collect, or commonly problematic genes they do collect, in their Clan bios. Obviously this would be a courtesy thing and non exhaustive, but it could help.
Create saved searches in the AH with everything but the unwanted elements, and use them as starting points for searching. For instance, you could select all modern genes but Keel and all ancient genes, save that search and name it AllGenes, choose it when you're not looking for specific genes, and add the factors that you are searching for.

I'm sure there are lots more possibilities for middle options, many of which (such as more search options) would improve everyone's user experience. Anyone have suggestions?
This is a tricky one. On one hand, I support accessibility very much, and I feel that it's reasonable to want to avoid particularly distressing content when you're playing a game. On the other hand, people have made strong points about it being unfeasible.

I think it's best to consider middle options. For instance:

Filtering select, commonly triggering, dragon characteristics. A survey could help determine what's most common. Yes, this'll leave out stuff, but it's better than nothing. For instance, Mosaic/Breakup give me a headache, but I'm sure that's a rare enough complaint that they wouldn't get filtered. I'd still rather have a common problem like Keel be filtered, even though the stuff I can't stand would still be shown, because it'll help more people.
Offering a "not" option in the Auction House filters. Selecting a few problem genes to exclude would be much more feasible than selecting all but the few problems to include. I suspect this would also make searches easier for a lot of people.
Offering an option to hide familiars when viewing bios. This is the only place you'd typically see familiars when not specifically looking for them, so it'd fix most surprise familiars.
Offering an option to hide the Random Dragon on the front page. I suspect this is less urgent since I at least have to scroll down to see it, but it's AFAIK the only player dragon you can't avoid seeing.
Showing a list of the dragon's colors and genes in the AH search, and offering an option to hide dragon pictures. This'd likely be a lot of work, but seeing a list could be convenient when quickly surfing dragons, I suspect.
Offering an option to hide certain genes in the Scrying Workshop, or keep them from coming up in Shuffle. It seems that as soon as I decide a gene won't work, Shuffle delights in giving me that gene every other time I click it.
Giving a chart on player profile pages (or in a new tab) that shows how often the player has each gene in their lair. This would allow players to know if there are unwanted genes, as well as let them see if there are favorite genes they'd be interested in. I think the stats would be really interesting to people as well.

As temporary measures, players could:
List genes they never collect, or commonly problematic genes they do collect, in their Clan bios. Obviously this would be a courtesy thing and non exhaustive, but it could help.
Create saved searches in the AH with everything but the unwanted elements, and use them as starting points for searching. For instance, you could select all modern genes but Keel and all ancient genes, save that search and name it AllGenes, choose it when you're not looking for specific genes, and add the factors that you are searching for.

I'm sure there are lots more possibilities for middle options, many of which (such as more search options) would improve everyone's user experience. Anyone have suggestions?
I support this. Yeah, it sucks that your dragon might not show "as intended", but I really want to enjoy the site and not have to feel sick to my stomach when I accidentally see a Wasp or Glowtail dragon. I don't get to choose my phobias or what triggers them.

Especially with the new genes just released, also triggering that phobia. I know it's not personal, but I'm feeling kind of unwelcome here.

Really, what's more important, a dragon being seen as you intend, or everyone's comfort. Not asking for a site wide thing. Just a personal gene blacklist type deal.
I support this. Yeah, it sucks that your dragon might not show "as intended", but I really want to enjoy the site and not have to feel sick to my stomach when I accidentally see a Wasp or Glowtail dragon. I don't get to choose my phobias or what triggers them.

Especially with the new genes just released, also triggering that phobia. I know it's not personal, but I'm feeling kind of unwelcome here.

Really, what's more important, a dragon being seen as you intend, or everyone's comfort. Not asking for a site wide thing. Just a personal gene blacklist type deal.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13