Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I like the replacement image thing. I have a phobia of worms (at least there isnt anything worm-like here) but a lot of people might have phobias of patches, or the color pink. So if they wanted to, just make it have a replacement image.
I like the replacement image thing. I have a phobia of worms (at least there isnt anything worm-like here) but a lot of people might have phobias of patches, or the color pink. So if they wanted to, just make it have a replacement image.
Z1RkWWM.png
[quote name="Servamp" date="2020-09-11 14:23:20" ] I have ptsd so I 100% understand where you're coming from but I don't support this. Therapists actually recommend people face the things that trigger their ptsd/phobias etc. so they can become desensitized to them as opposed to trying to avoid them. I feel like being exposed to things like that on fr is a good thing as we all know logically that what's triggering these strong emotions is just pixels that can't actually hurt us. [/quote] There's a big difference between exposure therapy in a controlled environment with therapist guidance and random encounters, though. @cantrip wrote an excellent explanation of some of the issues that complicate people's getting help. Going back to the practical side of the matter, does anyone know where the plugin/extension rules are explained most clearly? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it, and if it's allowed I think I might be able to make some AdBlock Plus filters that could help. I wonder also about the feasibility of having a site option to replace all images other than buttons with text descriptions, which could be switched off when desired. It seems like that should [i]lessen[/i] the server load, as well as being helpful for slow internet connections.
Servamp wrote on 2020-09-11 14:23:20:
I have ptsd so I 100% understand where you're coming from but I don't support this. Therapists actually recommend people face the things that trigger their ptsd/phobias etc. so they can become desensitized to them as opposed to trying to avoid them. I feel like being exposed to things like that on fr is a good thing as we all know logically that what's triggering these strong emotions is just pixels that can't actually hurt us.

There's a big difference between exposure therapy in a controlled environment with therapist guidance and random encounters, though.

@cantrip wrote an excellent explanation of some of the issues that complicate people's getting help.

Going back to the practical side of the matter, does anyone know where the plugin/extension rules are explained most clearly? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it, and if it's allowed I think I might be able to make some AdBlock Plus filters that could help.

I wonder also about the feasibility of having a site option to replace all images other than buttons with text descriptions, which could be switched off when desired. It seems like that should lessen the server load, as well as being helpful for slow internet connections.
i think this is a good idea

it makes the site more accessible to people

also could be good to let ppl have certain eye types or primals show up as common eyes instead

also maybe a blank logo or icon for familiars with the name of the familiar?

i also like the idea someone suggested for hiding entire dragons if they have a gene u blacklisted, would be helpful on the ah probably

theres already an item encyclopedia i feel like ppl could choose from there to block certain things to show differently

like theres already a feature to fave entries in the item encyclopedia so more stuff can probabbly happen, maybe if there is an encyclopedia for dragon eye types and genes (NOT gene scrolls) then ppl can block those entries to hide them ingame
i think this is a good idea

it makes the site more accessible to people

also could be good to let ppl have certain eye types or primals show up as common eyes instead

also maybe a blank logo or icon for familiars with the name of the familiar?

i also like the idea someone suggested for hiding entire dragons if they have a gene u blacklisted, would be helpful on the ah probably

theres already an item encyclopedia i feel like ppl could choose from there to block certain things to show differently

like theres already a feature to fave entries in the item encyclopedia so more stuff can probabbly happen, maybe if there is an encyclopedia for dragon eye types and genes (NOT gene scrolls) then ppl can block those entries to hide them ingame
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
while i don't fully understand how this site works, i'm sure they could implement a sort of checklist with all the genes on it. once checked, the dragons with those genes could become basic. same could be done with apparel, like the bloody bandages. the apparel would just disappear.

preferably same with forum vistas since the spider one can trigger people, and there's one that triggers me and i hate having to block players just because of their vista. oh, and eye types. really, anything. anything can be a trigger, and that's important to learn.

i know our experience online is controlled by us but having something like this could really help people who use this site.

i also know that it might feel kinda bad that your dragon isn't being viewed how you want them to be, but please. think about how other people feel. if x gene triggers someone, their safety is important. that just means others can enjoy your dragon, not everyone will. triggers are super serious and if it's possible, what harm will adding something like this do? it's optional. if you don't want it, you don't have to use it. but this can help a lot of people.

like i get it, i have dragons i'm very proud of. like my shadow primal dragons. but i'm also aware that shadow primal, while i personally love it, can be triggering to others. their safety matters.
while i don't fully understand how this site works, i'm sure they could implement a sort of checklist with all the genes on it. once checked, the dragons with those genes could become basic. same could be done with apparel, like the bloody bandages. the apparel would just disappear.

preferably same with forum vistas since the spider one can trigger people, and there's one that triggers me and i hate having to block players just because of their vista. oh, and eye types. really, anything. anything can be a trigger, and that's important to learn.

i know our experience online is controlled by us but having something like this could really help people who use this site.

i also know that it might feel kinda bad that your dragon isn't being viewed how you want them to be, but please. think about how other people feel. if x gene triggers someone, their safety is important. that just means others can enjoy your dragon, not everyone will. triggers are super serious and if it's possible, what harm will adding something like this do? it's optional. if you don't want it, you don't have to use it. but this can help a lot of people.

like i get it, i have dragons i'm very proud of. like my shadow primal dragons. but i'm also aware that shadow primal, while i personally love it, can be triggering to others. their safety matters.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
I'd support this- in fact, I made a very similar suggestion when Jag/Ros were released (I love the idea of the genes, but, especially in bright colors like Cyan and Radioactive, they give me headaches... pattern's too busy). I joined in 2015, which was a full two years before they were added. I do filter them out, but sometimes I get served them as the Random dragon or the default Scry Shop derg, and that gets annoying too. Yes, I can click away, but it'd be nice not to have to, yeah?

I think that people are totally overblowing the impact the base suggestion'd have, but also... I'd support a click-through on a spoiler picture (i.e. there's just the Swiftwing with text "spoilered for XYZ") and I could choose if I was feeling brave/foolhardy that day. Probably easier, would still help.

As far as items, I'd note that an adblocker can take care of that easily enough, so no need for action on FR's part (though I wouldn't deny that it'd be cool to be able to block gore tags, etc... I dunno. Being affected by Jag/Ros makes me more sympathetic to others being affected, even though I can't really think of an item that triggers me at all).
I'd support this- in fact, I made a very similar suggestion when Jag/Ros were released (I love the idea of the genes, but, especially in bright colors like Cyan and Radioactive, they give me headaches... pattern's too busy). I joined in 2015, which was a full two years before they were added. I do filter them out, but sometimes I get served them as the Random dragon or the default Scry Shop derg, and that gets annoying too. Yes, I can click away, but it'd be nice not to have to, yeah?

I think that people are totally overblowing the impact the base suggestion'd have, but also... I'd support a click-through on a spoiler picture (i.e. there's just the Swiftwing with text "spoilered for XYZ") and I could choose if I was feeling brave/foolhardy that day. Probably easier, would still help.

As far as items, I'd note that an adblocker can take care of that easily enough, so no need for action on FR's part (though I wouldn't deny that it'd be cool to be able to block gore tags, etc... I dunno. Being affected by Jag/Ros makes me more sympathetic to others being affected, even though I can't really think of an item that triggers me at all).
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

We love a lot of things on FR that are triggering for some people, namely special eyes and especially multi-gaze, but also genes that trigger trypophobia and eyeburners. We enjoy sharing our dragons, and unfortunately we have had people get triggered and as a system with PTSD and SPD that always makes us feel bad.

We don't even have a spoiler/hide box option, so there's nothing we can do for taking matters into our own hands and adding a warning manually for our dragons.

Also people responding "exposure is the best way to deal with a trigger": Last I checked , you're not every user's licensed therapist. Not everyone is ready for exposure therapy nor does everyone recover from PTSD in the same way. Not to mention recovering from OCD, SPD, or other triggers and phobias are different from PTSD triggers.
I was against it at first, thought about it a bit, and now this idea has my support.

We love a lot of things on FR that are triggering for some people, namely special eyes and especially multi-gaze, but also genes that trigger trypophobia and eyeburners. We enjoy sharing our dragons, and unfortunately we have had people get triggered and as a system with PTSD and SPD that always makes us feel bad.

We don't even have a spoiler/hide box option, so there's nothing we can do for taking matters into our own hands and adding a warning manually for our dragons.

Also people responding "exposure is the best way to deal with a trigger": Last I checked , you're not every user's licensed therapist. Not everyone is ready for exposure therapy nor does everyone recover from PTSD in the same way. Not to mention recovering from OCD, SPD, or other triggers and phobias are different from PTSD triggers.
No support because I think it would affect gameplay too much. Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene. I think blocking genes cannot mix with the actual gameplay.
No support because I think it would affect gameplay too much. Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene. I think blocking genes cannot mix with the actual gameplay.
[quote name="pfvupl" date="2020-09-17 06:13:49" ] Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene. [/quote] Blocking genes would [i]increase[/i] gameplay, since players could browse lairs and so forth more freely, and of course there'd need to be an indicator if the dragon was displayed differently. Nobody's going to buy or breed the dragons they'd like to block, even for fodder, because they'd still have to look at them. But blocking allows more chances for finding and buying dragons they would interact with.
pfvupl wrote on 2020-09-17 06:13:49:
Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene.

Blocking genes would increase gameplay, since players could browse lairs and so forth more freely, and of course there'd need to be an indicator if the dragon was displayed differently. Nobody's going to buy or breed the dragons they'd like to block, even for fodder, because they'd still have to look at them. But blocking allows more chances for finding and buying dragons they would interact with.
[quote name="LadyJudica" date="2020-09-17 13:26:40" ] [quote name="pfvupl" date="2020-09-17 06:13:49" ] Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene. [/quote] Blocking genes would [i]increase[/i] gameplay, since players could browse lairs and so forth more freely, and of course there'd need to be an indicator if the dragon was displayed differently. Nobody's going to buy or breed the dragons they'd like to block, even for fodder, because they'd still have to look at them. But blocking allows more chances for finding and buying dragons they would interact with. [/quote] I can't be sure, but I think what they mean is this [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/542706/54270569_350.png[/img][/center] is one picture. The dragon and its component parts are all one. Dragons pictures aren't like scrying workshop pictures where every part of the dragon is its own thing, or like dressing room pictures where each item contributes to the picture. If that makes sense. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=54&bodygene=8&breed=3&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=174&tertgene=12&winggene=12&wings=157&auth=5a4fa3fd4e61aa87a5e2d01e9342eec3a5236856&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] This one has many different parts of the picture that are put together and you can change the way the image looks by changing that part of the url. You can't do that with the picture of the dragon from the lair, above. That is, you cannot block Vipera alone in the first picture, only the second.
LadyJudica wrote on 2020-09-17 13:26:40:
pfvupl wrote on 2020-09-17 06:13:49:
Blocking genes would block a whole dragon, or if they would appear as Basic, then there would have to be a clear indicator that within the function of the game, they actually do have the triggering gene.
Blocking genes would increase gameplay, since players could browse lairs and so forth more freely, and of course there'd need to be an indicator if the dragon was displayed differently. Nobody's going to buy or breed the dragons they'd like to block, even for fodder, because they'd still have to look at them. But blocking allows more chances for finding and buying dragons they would interact with.
I can't be sure, but I think what they mean is this
54270569_350.png
is one picture. The dragon and its component parts are all one. Dragons pictures aren't like scrying workshop pictures where every part of the dragon is its own thing, or like dressing room pictures where each item contributes to the picture. If that makes sense.
dragon?age=1&body=54&bodygene=8&breed=3&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=174&tertgene=12&winggene=12&wings=157&auth=5a4fa3fd4e61aa87a5e2d01e9342eec3a5236856&dummyext=prev.png
This one has many different parts of the picture that are put together and you can change the way the image looks by changing that part of the url. You can't do that with the picture of the dragon from the lair, above.

That is, you cannot block Vipera alone in the first picture, only the second.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Support, im all for accessibility. There are genes on here I know would trigger some of my family members (ghost and skeletal being two of them), and multigaze bothers a few people i know.
Even if its not as in depth as changing a gene to basic, just being able to pick out genes and have it display a warning/blur before viewing i think would be pretty useful in avoiding content that bothers people.

I think itd be useful to extend it to colors and eyetypes as well, just given certain colorations can absolutely worsen things like eyestrain, headaches and migraines to name a few. These are all things searchable in the AH so I think being able to block/filter them would fall under the same sort of ability to do so.

There could even be an option to not show/load dragons wearing skins/blur them as well as there is no system for them. Plenty of people play the game happily without using them, and it would then be each players discretion of whether or not to block/view dragons wearing skins depending on how bad their trigger is.

Basically what im saying is it doesnt have to be this exact methodology of how to go about making the site more accessible (though this is a clever way of doing it). The devs are the experts and if they want to implement it they would best know and be able to figure out how.

I also dont think the 'where does it end' argument is a good one in regards to accessibility, as staff would be the ones to determine that and this is a wholly opt in feature for people who need it.

Certain things are unavoidable, but i see no reason if its within staff's capability to do so, to make the site more accessible for people who need it to be.
Even if its just something staff looks into and ends up saying they can't feasibly do due to how the site has been coded, I support the general idea.
Support, im all for accessibility. There are genes on here I know would trigger some of my family members (ghost and skeletal being two of them), and multigaze bothers a few people i know.
Even if its not as in depth as changing a gene to basic, just being able to pick out genes and have it display a warning/blur before viewing i think would be pretty useful in avoiding content that bothers people.

I think itd be useful to extend it to colors and eyetypes as well, just given certain colorations can absolutely worsen things like eyestrain, headaches and migraines to name a few. These are all things searchable in the AH so I think being able to block/filter them would fall under the same sort of ability to do so.

There could even be an option to not show/load dragons wearing skins/blur them as well as there is no system for them. Plenty of people play the game happily without using them, and it would then be each players discretion of whether or not to block/view dragons wearing skins depending on how bad their trigger is.

Basically what im saying is it doesnt have to be this exact methodology of how to go about making the site more accessible (though this is a clever way of doing it). The devs are the experts and if they want to implement it they would best know and be able to figure out how.

I also dont think the 'where does it end' argument is a good one in regards to accessibility, as staff would be the ones to determine that and this is a wholly opt in feature for people who need it.

Certain things are unavoidable, but i see no reason if its within staff's capability to do so, to make the site more accessible for people who need it to be.
Even if its just something staff looks into and ends up saying they can't feasibly do due to how the site has been coded, I support the general idea.
button_97x95.png[ Please do not PM me. 1623960663678.png
DSfOOlg.png
68388386.png 1623960663678.png 68483984.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13