Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13
No support. I have trypophobia and jaguar and rosette can be an issue on some colors and species around the face. When they were first released it really was a huge bummer for me because I was excited... and then everyone started calling attention to the spots on the body that were very hard to look at it, so it was hard for me not to look and not see it. But I eventually moved on. The world is filled with unpleasant things and the internet is even worse. When that sort of stuff pops up it's easier for me to just let my gaze drift over it and move on. Jaguar is one of my favorite genes to fall back on and except for it's initial release when everyone was like, "Look! Look how terrible this is!!" And posting blown up images of spots on the face I havent had an issue. And the same goes for irl, if I dont call attention to it, I dont hyper focus on it. My brain doesnt notice how patches of dirt might have a bunch of teeny holes in it unless I'm thinking about it already, or how a certain pattern is honeycomb shaped and implying depth. For the most part my brain just goes over it like it's taking notes by being like "that dort". And the same goes for dragons, I have never stared at a dragon for so long that hypnotic (a gene that also gave me issues and one I complained about when it was changed) or jaguar were a problem. I have freely browsed and not taken notice.

Unless you guys are savoring the sight of every dragon you scroll across like a fine wine then why would you be staring at something that causes you strain or stress? Just keep on scrolling down. Tagging and censoring dragons wont change the things people post on this site. It's the internet. The more you try to escape something and hide it, the more shocking it's going to be when you come across it unexpectedly.

I used to have this weird thing about minecraft spiders. I went from being a kid who would actively pick up spiders to being an adult who freaked out and nearly cried when going into a mineshaft in a video game. It was bad. I would freeze up and it started to affect how I reacted to spiders irl by having the same terrified reaction. I have a gift curse that when I play minecraft I can practically dig down anywhere and find a mineshaft. It was hilarious in hindsight given that I would just freak out and not be able to mine until someone else took care of the spiders. It made the game practically unplayable for me, but I didnt seek out mods to turn off spiders and make my friends use them to play on servers. Eventually I just had to deal with it on my own because friends weren't always online to handle my problem. Avoiding the spiders only ever made me more scared and I'd over rely on other people to make an area safe for me to enjoyably play. That expectation just lent to the idea that without people solving the problem for me, I couldnt play the game. But when I had to face it, I eventually started to find ways to handle my problem on my own, to give me power and control against my phobia, which is really important. When you tell yourself that you cant do something and you dont have the ability because something exists, you're taking away your own sense of control. You are the one controlling your experience though. When people say to keep scrolling that isnt a bad thing, you have the power to be in the presence of something upsetting and click away or move on before it can trigger serious discomfort. You dont have to deal with it until you're ready to deal with it. You already have that power, you just have to be able to set up your own boundaries and exercise the willpower to uphold them.

Most of my serious triggers related to PTSD are auditory, but there are the occasional visual triggers that catch me entirely off guard, so I am not unsympathetic to serious, debilitating trauma responses, however I'm not sure I believe that the average phobia for most users is as serious as a trauma response. Not saying none of it is, but treating every person with a phobia as if they'll go disassociate from reality upon having that phobia triggered by a 300x300 picture is just going to enable that response in my experience rather than normalize the stimuli.

I would support staff overturning the rule against extensions that change things visually on the users end, because then it's every user doing whatever they want and could circumvent a lot of the calls for parts of the site to be able to be hidden.

I know I might get a lot of responses like, "Well you are not everyone." But yeah, nobody is everyone. We arent a hivemind. I can only go off of my experiences and in my experience, avoiding phobias doesnt fix the problem and just cements the sense of helplessness when around them. So, I dont support a feature that would give users the tool to aid in their own sense of helplessness against something that will not hurt them. I'm not saying to go out and cuddle a spider or play with needles, just to seek out coping mechanisms that can help you navigate the internet comfortably on your own without relying on others to help you escape. It's just going to be worse when you do see something you've been hiding from and dont have the coping skills to handle it.
No support. I have trypophobia and jaguar and rosette can be an issue on some colors and species around the face. When they were first released it really was a huge bummer for me because I was excited... and then everyone started calling attention to the spots on the body that were very hard to look at it, so it was hard for me not to look and not see it. But I eventually moved on. The world is filled with unpleasant things and the internet is even worse. When that sort of stuff pops up it's easier for me to just let my gaze drift over it and move on. Jaguar is one of my favorite genes to fall back on and except for it's initial release when everyone was like, "Look! Look how terrible this is!!" And posting blown up images of spots on the face I havent had an issue. And the same goes for irl, if I dont call attention to it, I dont hyper focus on it. My brain doesnt notice how patches of dirt might have a bunch of teeny holes in it unless I'm thinking about it already, or how a certain pattern is honeycomb shaped and implying depth. For the most part my brain just goes over it like it's taking notes by being like "that dort". And the same goes for dragons, I have never stared at a dragon for so long that hypnotic (a gene that also gave me issues and one I complained about when it was changed) or jaguar were a problem. I have freely browsed and not taken notice.

Unless you guys are savoring the sight of every dragon you scroll across like a fine wine then why would you be staring at something that causes you strain or stress? Just keep on scrolling down. Tagging and censoring dragons wont change the things people post on this site. It's the internet. The more you try to escape something and hide it, the more shocking it's going to be when you come across it unexpectedly.

I used to have this weird thing about minecraft spiders. I went from being a kid who would actively pick up spiders to being an adult who freaked out and nearly cried when going into a mineshaft in a video game. It was bad. I would freeze up and it started to affect how I reacted to spiders irl by having the same terrified reaction. I have a gift curse that when I play minecraft I can practically dig down anywhere and find a mineshaft. It was hilarious in hindsight given that I would just freak out and not be able to mine until someone else took care of the spiders. It made the game practically unplayable for me, but I didnt seek out mods to turn off spiders and make my friends use them to play on servers. Eventually I just had to deal with it on my own because friends weren't always online to handle my problem. Avoiding the spiders only ever made me more scared and I'd over rely on other people to make an area safe for me to enjoyably play. That expectation just lent to the idea that without people solving the problem for me, I couldnt play the game. But when I had to face it, I eventually started to find ways to handle my problem on my own, to give me power and control against my phobia, which is really important. When you tell yourself that you cant do something and you dont have the ability because something exists, you're taking away your own sense of control. You are the one controlling your experience though. When people say to keep scrolling that isnt a bad thing, you have the power to be in the presence of something upsetting and click away or move on before it can trigger serious discomfort. You dont have to deal with it until you're ready to deal with it. You already have that power, you just have to be able to set up your own boundaries and exercise the willpower to uphold them.

Most of my serious triggers related to PTSD are auditory, but there are the occasional visual triggers that catch me entirely off guard, so I am not unsympathetic to serious, debilitating trauma responses, however I'm not sure I believe that the average phobia for most users is as serious as a trauma response. Not saying none of it is, but treating every person with a phobia as if they'll go disassociate from reality upon having that phobia triggered by a 300x300 picture is just going to enable that response in my experience rather than normalize the stimuli.

I would support staff overturning the rule against extensions that change things visually on the users end, because then it's every user doing whatever they want and could circumvent a lot of the calls for parts of the site to be able to be hidden.

I know I might get a lot of responses like, "Well you are not everyone." But yeah, nobody is everyone. We arent a hivemind. I can only go off of my experiences and in my experience, avoiding phobias doesnt fix the problem and just cements the sense of helplessness when around them. So, I dont support a feature that would give users the tool to aid in their own sense of helplessness against something that will not hurt them. I'm not saying to go out and cuddle a spider or play with needles, just to seek out coping mechanisms that can help you navigate the internet comfortably on your own without relying on others to help you escape. It's just going to be worse when you do see something you've been hiding from and dont have the coping skills to handle it.
This is tough... I definitely have visual processing issues when it comes to stripes, and I can totally understand that happening with other busy gene patterns. But when it comes to those and phobias, I also feel that there are certain things you have to accept when you sign up for the site. EG Plague has been here since the beginning, when you sign up you are signing up for pustules and grody fleshy stuff and mirrors with their extra eyes. You are accepting that the site is in constantly flux and adding new patterns and apparel etc, and they may not accommodate your niche needs.

I feel a censor might also be a disservice. It could only censor dragons in "official" scenarios. What if you're browsing hatcheries and someone hardcoded dragon images into their graphics and you're suddenly hit with a problem gene while thinking you're safe? or artwork in a dragon's bio? it sucks having to be on guard on a site where you go to relax, but you'd have to be aware when browsing lairs, bios, and forums, etc.

In any case, if it a censor is implemented, I feel the easiest method would be to block the dragon image entirely. Cover it with a warning that says "contains blacklisted genes/apparel," a list of what's blocked for full dragon images, and a button to display it anyway if you wish.

I would also support allowing 3rd party extensions that alter the visuals of the site.

This is tough... I definitely have visual processing issues when it comes to stripes, and I can totally understand that happening with other busy gene patterns. But when it comes to those and phobias, I also feel that there are certain things you have to accept when you sign up for the site. EG Plague has been here since the beginning, when you sign up you are signing up for pustules and grody fleshy stuff and mirrors with their extra eyes. You are accepting that the site is in constantly flux and adding new patterns and apparel etc, and they may not accommodate your niche needs.

I feel a censor might also be a disservice. It could only censor dragons in "official" scenarios. What if you're browsing hatcheries and someone hardcoded dragon images into their graphics and you're suddenly hit with a problem gene while thinking you're safe? or artwork in a dragon's bio? it sucks having to be on guard on a site where you go to relax, but you'd have to be aware when browsing lairs, bios, and forums, etc.

In any case, if it a censor is implemented, I feel the easiest method would be to block the dragon image entirely. Cover it with a warning that says "contains blacklisted genes/apparel," a list of what's blocked for full dragon images, and a button to display it anyway if you wish.

I would also support allowing 3rd party extensions that alter the visuals of the site.

As someone who got nauseated when I first saw keel, I understand that a lot of people can have issue with certain genes. While I no longer have and problems, I know that's not the case for everyone. However I'm going to have to say no support here. Quite frankly it ties back to the very first page, where does this stop?

Genes aren't the only thing that users complain about not liking. Multigaze, plague and shadow primal, and pretty much every plague apparel/aesthetic goes under heavy fire. If you started this, it would just downspiral into censorship everywhere. Sorry, plague already goes under fire way too often for just having a certain aesthetic people hate. I'd rather not see millions of demands for people to censor everything about them. It's an aesthetic that some people, myself included, adore and want more of. It would just snowball because giving people an inch means they take a mile.

Web extensions wouldn't work well either, as there will be someone out there who tries to violate the rules. Staff don't need to monitor all the extensions being pumped out for rule-breaking content, especially not when you can charge for extensions. That's profiting off FR's work and possibly attempting to circumvent their user agreements, big no-no. Biiiiig no-no. I'm not saying that the idea couldn't be implemented well and fairly with no malicious intent, but you really have to put yourself in the shoes of the internet. Someone will try and ruin it for everyone else.

To support other things individuals have said, this would only work on current coded images, even with an extension. If someone saves and puts a scry in a bio, it's still there. Artwork? Still there. Hatchery banner? Still there. Ultimately a censor would just be useless because you're still running into images that can't be censored or changed, and asking people to outright censor their dragon's artwork and pictures isn't gonna fly. Besides, if there was a dragon with a gene I wasn't fond of I wouldn't spend hours just staring at them. I'd probably glance quick and move right along because I know I don't like looking at that.

But yeah, people would take it and run way too far and anything you implement wouldn't even work in the end due to art and saved scry images in bios.
As someone who got nauseated when I first saw keel, I understand that a lot of people can have issue with certain genes. While I no longer have and problems, I know that's not the case for everyone. However I'm going to have to say no support here. Quite frankly it ties back to the very first page, where does this stop?

Genes aren't the only thing that users complain about not liking. Multigaze, plague and shadow primal, and pretty much every plague apparel/aesthetic goes under heavy fire. If you started this, it would just downspiral into censorship everywhere. Sorry, plague already goes under fire way too often for just having a certain aesthetic people hate. I'd rather not see millions of demands for people to censor everything about them. It's an aesthetic that some people, myself included, adore and want more of. It would just snowball because giving people an inch means they take a mile.

Web extensions wouldn't work well either, as there will be someone out there who tries to violate the rules. Staff don't need to monitor all the extensions being pumped out for rule-breaking content, especially not when you can charge for extensions. That's profiting off FR's work and possibly attempting to circumvent their user agreements, big no-no. Biiiiig no-no. I'm not saying that the idea couldn't be implemented well and fairly with no malicious intent, but you really have to put yourself in the shoes of the internet. Someone will try and ruin it for everyone else.

To support other things individuals have said, this would only work on current coded images, even with an extension. If someone saves and puts a scry in a bio, it's still there. Artwork? Still there. Hatchery banner? Still there. Ultimately a censor would just be useless because you're still running into images that can't be censored or changed, and asking people to outright censor their dragon's artwork and pictures isn't gonna fly. Besides, if there was a dragon with a gene I wasn't fond of I wouldn't spend hours just staring at them. I'd probably glance quick and move right along because I know I don't like looking at that.

But yeah, people would take it and run way too far and anything you implement wouldn't even work in the end due to art and saved scry images in bios.
vDH0pGc.png
No, this wouldn't work for every picture and ultimately people would still have to be careful in areas like the forums, but this could go a long way to help some players feel more comfortable playing.

I feel the important thing to remember is that this is a game. It is something meant to be fun. It isn't mean to be a therapy session where players are forced to confront the things that give them trouble. Not every reacts the same way and not everyone deals with things the same way.

I hate spiders. If I could get rid of every spider I would, especially in games that are relaxing. I hate that just about every game HAS spiders, so there really isn't a way for me to find a game that I find enjoyable that I won't have to have a tiny worry in the back of my mind that I might run across a spider. So, when a game gives me the ability to change that there are spiders in it, or at least make sure I have much less of a chance to run across them? I love that game, and am much more likely to be relaxed and have fun on it, than in a game where every time I turn a corner, or click a link, I have a chance to run into one. it doen't matter that it is just an image, images are powerful things. After all, if they weren't, then art wouldn't be so important to a lot of people.

Would it be a lot of work, and difficult? Yeah, it would be, but sometimes things that are worth it ARE difficult and a lot of work to implement.

As for things like saved scries and images in the forums, FR could give us a spoiler tag that would actually hide the spoilers (and thus images) instead of just making it black text with a black background. That way players would have the ability to hide those images while still posting them. Would everyone do it? Of course not, but most players would, because most players ARE courteous (and we need that tag anyway to be able to cut down huge blocks of text into things that players can collapse or expand as they wished)

Same thing for images in signatures. Being able to turn off signatures, something a LOT of forums have, would go a long way to helping that area as well (someone mentioned that they have signatures turned off, but I never found it, so if it is a thing, let me know).

It doesn't have to be a huge all or nothing mechanic either. It could be cut into smaller parts to not only give players more control over things, but make it easier on the developers as well.

Things that affect the dragon, such as genes or eye variants could be done in one mechanic, items such as familiars or food could be done in a different mechanic, tied into the game database perhaps, and so on.

AGain, yeah, it would be a lot of work, but I feel that it is worth it, because not everyone has the same comfort levels as other people, and when sites/games give me the ability to change the site to my comfort levels (Without affecting anyone else) I am much more comfortable on that site.

On the other hand, this could also potentially mean that the rules about certain things could actually be loosened because players would have the ability to NOT see those things. I am talking about plague skins and more plague elements. If players who didn't like gore (or had stronger reactions) to it were able to simply not see those elements then there would be much less of a reason to have strict rules regarding those elements.

I don't really agree with allowing extensions as a compromise, because not everyone can use extentions. Sometimes the extension is only for a certain browser that players might not want to use (I will never use chrome for instance). Other times it might be that they cannot download or add an extension because they don't own the device or they are a minor whose parents won't allow things like that to be downloaded. (my parents were always paranoid, almost literally, about viruses) So, while allowing extentions might help some players, it wouldn't help as many as figuring out a way to do pretty much the same thing as an extention and it would be more powerful as well. Most extentions that I know of, for images at least, you have to see the image first to block it. You couldn't input 'block Hypnotic' and have it automatically block dragons with hypnotic, because each dragon is its own image and it would have to have a way to detect whether or not each dragon had hypnotic. A site mechanic could do that.
No, this wouldn't work for every picture and ultimately people would still have to be careful in areas like the forums, but this could go a long way to help some players feel more comfortable playing.

I feel the important thing to remember is that this is a game. It is something meant to be fun. It isn't mean to be a therapy session where players are forced to confront the things that give them trouble. Not every reacts the same way and not everyone deals with things the same way.

I hate spiders. If I could get rid of every spider I would, especially in games that are relaxing. I hate that just about every game HAS spiders, so there really isn't a way for me to find a game that I find enjoyable that I won't have to have a tiny worry in the back of my mind that I might run across a spider. So, when a game gives me the ability to change that there are spiders in it, or at least make sure I have much less of a chance to run across them? I love that game, and am much more likely to be relaxed and have fun on it, than in a game where every time I turn a corner, or click a link, I have a chance to run into one. it doen't matter that it is just an image, images are powerful things. After all, if they weren't, then art wouldn't be so important to a lot of people.

Would it be a lot of work, and difficult? Yeah, it would be, but sometimes things that are worth it ARE difficult and a lot of work to implement.

As for things like saved scries and images in the forums, FR could give us a spoiler tag that would actually hide the spoilers (and thus images) instead of just making it black text with a black background. That way players would have the ability to hide those images while still posting them. Would everyone do it? Of course not, but most players would, because most players ARE courteous (and we need that tag anyway to be able to cut down huge blocks of text into things that players can collapse or expand as they wished)

Same thing for images in signatures. Being able to turn off signatures, something a LOT of forums have, would go a long way to helping that area as well (someone mentioned that they have signatures turned off, but I never found it, so if it is a thing, let me know).

It doesn't have to be a huge all or nothing mechanic either. It could be cut into smaller parts to not only give players more control over things, but make it easier on the developers as well.

Things that affect the dragon, such as genes or eye variants could be done in one mechanic, items such as familiars or food could be done in a different mechanic, tied into the game database perhaps, and so on.

AGain, yeah, it would be a lot of work, but I feel that it is worth it, because not everyone has the same comfort levels as other people, and when sites/games give me the ability to change the site to my comfort levels (Without affecting anyone else) I am much more comfortable on that site.

On the other hand, this could also potentially mean that the rules about certain things could actually be loosened because players would have the ability to NOT see those things. I am talking about plague skins and more plague elements. If players who didn't like gore (or had stronger reactions) to it were able to simply not see those elements then there would be much less of a reason to have strict rules regarding those elements.

I don't really agree with allowing extensions as a compromise, because not everyone can use extentions. Sometimes the extension is only for a certain browser that players might not want to use (I will never use chrome for instance). Other times it might be that they cannot download or add an extension because they don't own the device or they are a minor whose parents won't allow things like that to be downloaded. (my parents were always paranoid, almost literally, about viruses) So, while allowing extentions might help some players, it wouldn't help as many as figuring out a way to do pretty much the same thing as an extention and it would be more powerful as well. Most extentions that I know of, for images at least, you have to see the image first to block it. You couldn't input 'block Hypnotic' and have it automatically block dragons with hypnotic, because each dragon is its own image and it would have to have a way to detect whether or not each dragon had hypnotic. A site mechanic could do that.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
The problem is, this is not a reasonable accommodation being asked for because no player is ever under pressure to stay on any page viewing something they find upsetting.

A player can go back at any point, a player can close the tab at any point, a player can click the home page at any time. There is no point in time that an image is inexscapable. It is not reasonable to ask that the world shelter them from harmless things due to their own personal mental illness, especially not when it places an absurd burden on someone else.

It’s also ridiculous to claim that self censoring of harmless images is required to be “courteous”.
The problem is, this is not a reasonable accommodation being asked for because no player is ever under pressure to stay on any page viewing something they find upsetting.

A player can go back at any point, a player can close the tab at any point, a player can click the home page at any time. There is no point in time that an image is inexscapable. It is not reasonable to ask that the world shelter them from harmless things due to their own personal mental illness, especially not when it places an absurd burden on someone else.

It’s also ridiculous to claim that self censoring of harmless images is required to be “courteous”.
sBdLZtA.png
I feel like a disclaimer for FR saying something like, "Flight Rising is a site primarily centered around art, created by both the staff of the site as well as the players. Therefore, various patterns, images, and themes are present that could upset some players. Please use caution when browsing," would be much easier and have approximately the same effect.

I'm all for a tag system for skins and such to make finding skins (or even blocking them, potentially) easier. But I think that censoring genes, an integral part of the site, is a little much. We are each responsible for caring for our own sensitivities.

Not to mention I think the effort far outweighs the benefit here, since the benefit will only be for images generated by the site itself. These are by far not the only images one would encounter on the site.

But I'm not opposed to it on general principal, I guess.

Though earlier I had a question about how much lag this would cause. Because, presumably, this would require more checks of some kind to display before generating the image. Because if I post an image of my dragon with Hypnotic, then it would display as Basic. But before displaying the dragon to the user, it would have to check each of its gene slots against the list of disallowed genes. Isn't that a lot, rather than just pulling a single image from the reference? (I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do know that the dragon images aren't like scry shop images...)
I feel like a disclaimer for FR saying something like, "Flight Rising is a site primarily centered around art, created by both the staff of the site as well as the players. Therefore, various patterns, images, and themes are present that could upset some players. Please use caution when browsing," would be much easier and have approximately the same effect.

I'm all for a tag system for skins and such to make finding skins (or even blocking them, potentially) easier. But I think that censoring genes, an integral part of the site, is a little much. We are each responsible for caring for our own sensitivities.

Not to mention I think the effort far outweighs the benefit here, since the benefit will only be for images generated by the site itself. These are by far not the only images one would encounter on the site.

But I'm not opposed to it on general principal, I guess.

Though earlier I had a question about how much lag this would cause. Because, presumably, this would require more checks of some kind to display before generating the image. Because if I post an image of my dragon with Hypnotic, then it would display as Basic. But before displaying the dragon to the user, it would have to check each of its gene slots against the list of disallowed genes. Isn't that a lot, rather than just pulling a single image from the reference? (I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do know that the dragon images aren't like scry shop images...)
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
No opinion on this other than I can't see this working out well (But if they can do it, sure!) when we have the whole plague flight going on and many items and skins containing vasts amount of things which can cause a reaction in people.

For example one of the most common phobias in the USA (Top 10 I believe) is of dogs, yet I never see anyone talk about or tag their images of their pet dogs. Death mentions is also one of the most common phobias and with all the mentions of death in items, and in people's dragons personal lore I feel any major attempt at making a personal censor system would be rather hard. (With allowing blocking on items, wearables, skins, genes, tooltips, and whole flights.)

Not saying they shouldn't go for it, but also saying I'm not sure this is feasible especially when you start taking into consideration even the most common phobias as opposed to the ones we hear about the most.

I think a more balentant warning of "Hey FR contains a lot of things such as dogs, death mentions, and certain textures" might be easier to implement for those who might need a reminder there might be sketchy subject matters.

If FR does plan on putting this in, it might be good for them to show how they plan on doing it to players beforehand, as if it doesn't catch all the issues players might have, especially the more common ones, then this suggestion will just come back up.
No opinion on this other than I can't see this working out well (But if they can do it, sure!) when we have the whole plague flight going on and many items and skins containing vasts amount of things which can cause a reaction in people.

For example one of the most common phobias in the USA (Top 10 I believe) is of dogs, yet I never see anyone talk about or tag their images of their pet dogs. Death mentions is also one of the most common phobias and with all the mentions of death in items, and in people's dragons personal lore I feel any major attempt at making a personal censor system would be rather hard. (With allowing blocking on items, wearables, skins, genes, tooltips, and whole flights.)

Not saying they shouldn't go for it, but also saying I'm not sure this is feasible especially when you start taking into consideration even the most common phobias as opposed to the ones we hear about the most.

I think a more balentant warning of "Hey FR contains a lot of things such as dogs, death mentions, and certain textures" might be easier to implement for those who might need a reminder there might be sketchy subject matters.

If FR does plan on putting this in, it might be good for them to show how they plan on doing it to players beforehand, as if it doesn't catch all the issues players might have, especially the more common ones, then this suggestion will just come back up.
FULL SUPPORT
as someone with phobias myself, it would make browsing flight rising so much less anxiety inducing knowing I was less likely to encounter something triggering, sure it wouldn't be a fix-all and there would still be content with triggers that still gets shown, but some filtering is better than no filtering at all.

To those of you saying "well they just shouldn't sign up" some of us signed up a LONG time ago and only recently had content added that's triggering, we shouldn't have to leave our YEARS of work just because triggering content was added to a game that was completely fine for us to play previously. Putting up warnings and disclaimers about potentially triggering content doesn't change this either, all the warnings in the world won't change the 4 years of time and effort I've put into flight rising, and I shouldn't be forced to leave just because of an obscure trigger I have.

This affects literally no one but the person using it so I really don't see the problem with adding it?? like at all???? Like... it has absolutely no affect on you unless you decide to use it. Accommodating users with disabilities in important, and we shouldn't be forced off of sites we've been playing on, or even want to join, because of our disabilities, sure putting in wheelchair ramps can be expensive and time consuming in a building process but it's still important so people with mobility impairments can access businesses, and adding a filtering system is so, so much easier than building a wheelchair ramp. With the rules about extensions, FR has essentially banned all accommodations for us

Yes sure we're not pressured to stay on any page with a visual trigger, but I don't think you understand visual triggers, viewing one of my visual triggers can cause me to have a panic attack IMMEDIATELY, changing pages won't change that I've already been triggered. Phobias don't just cause a little bit of discomfort, they can destroy your life because they're severe and even thinking of them can often trigger a person with a phobia.
FULL SUPPORT
as someone with phobias myself, it would make browsing flight rising so much less anxiety inducing knowing I was less likely to encounter something triggering, sure it wouldn't be a fix-all and there would still be content with triggers that still gets shown, but some filtering is better than no filtering at all.

To those of you saying "well they just shouldn't sign up" some of us signed up a LONG time ago and only recently had content added that's triggering, we shouldn't have to leave our YEARS of work just because triggering content was added to a game that was completely fine for us to play previously. Putting up warnings and disclaimers about potentially triggering content doesn't change this either, all the warnings in the world won't change the 4 years of time and effort I've put into flight rising, and I shouldn't be forced to leave just because of an obscure trigger I have.

This affects literally no one but the person using it so I really don't see the problem with adding it?? like at all???? Like... it has absolutely no affect on you unless you decide to use it. Accommodating users with disabilities in important, and we shouldn't be forced off of sites we've been playing on, or even want to join, because of our disabilities, sure putting in wheelchair ramps can be expensive and time consuming in a building process but it's still important so people with mobility impairments can access businesses, and adding a filtering system is so, so much easier than building a wheelchair ramp. With the rules about extensions, FR has essentially banned all accommodations for us

Yes sure we're not pressured to stay on any page with a visual trigger, but I don't think you understand visual triggers, viewing one of my visual triggers can cause me to have a panic attack IMMEDIATELY, changing pages won't change that I've already been triggered. Phobias don't just cause a little bit of discomfort, they can destroy your life because they're severe and even thinking of them can often trigger a person with a phobia.
X4sD3Je.png
m3TbcZw.png
UawspVz.png
a69iToJ.png
iQdxS54.gifhe/himETU8zpR.gif
actually a murder of crows in a trenchcoat
It has a huge effect on everyone else actually. Every time the site goes to load a page, instead of just loading the, it now has to cycle through every single gene, check through your censored skin list, go through your censored items, accents etc, and it has to check all of that against every hardcoded image on that page.

That would cause gamebreaking lag. First-NotN levels of lag. For the entire site, all because a handful of people refuse to accept that their discomfort over harmless things, is something they need to deal with themselves.

I have depression, that doesn't mean I'm justified if I ask for a system that auto flags anything that might be considered not purely positive and censor it for me. If some vegan users demanded all their dragons be allowed to eat only plants because it's upsetting to their morals, that's an equally unreasonable accommodation they'd be asking for.

At no point while playing FR are you ever forced to linger on a page for more time than it takes you to click the home button or Alt+F4, and if your phobia is so server that a digital, cartoon image sends you into panic attacks as you say, you need to seek professional help in managing your symptoms. There's really just no other way to put it. You cannot try to replace actual therapy with bandaid solutions like this suggestion.
It has a huge effect on everyone else actually. Every time the site goes to load a page, instead of just loading the, it now has to cycle through every single gene, check through your censored skin list, go through your censored items, accents etc, and it has to check all of that against every hardcoded image on that page.

That would cause gamebreaking lag. First-NotN levels of lag. For the entire site, all because a handful of people refuse to accept that their discomfort over harmless things, is something they need to deal with themselves.

I have depression, that doesn't mean I'm justified if I ask for a system that auto flags anything that might be considered not purely positive and censor it for me. If some vegan users demanded all their dragons be allowed to eat only plants because it's upsetting to their morals, that's an equally unreasonable accommodation they'd be asking for.

At no point while playing FR are you ever forced to linger on a page for more time than it takes you to click the home button or Alt+F4, and if your phobia is so server that a digital, cartoon image sends you into panic attacks as you say, you need to seek professional help in managing your symptoms. There's really just no other way to put it. You cannot try to replace actual therapy with bandaid solutions like this suggestion.
sBdLZtA.png
Huge support! However can I add a suggestion. Instead of converting the image to a basic scry, if your listed triggering genes are found (via a simple text find, which would not be overly taxing) then the entire image would be hidden with a blurred image box or cover image that says "This has been hidden per your preferences". That way it wouldn't be taxing and would function like an ad block in terms of how hard it is to run. [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-08-02 00:34:25" ] That would cause gamebreaking lag. First-NotN levels of lag. For the entire site, all because a handful of people refuse to accept that their discomfort over harmless things, is something they need to deal with themselves. I have depression, that doesn't mean I'm justified if I ask for a system that auto flags anything that might be considered not purely positive and censor it for me. If some vegan users demanded all their dragons be allowed to eat only plants because it's upsetting to their morals, that's an equally unreasonable accommodation they'd be asking for. At no point while playing FR are you ever forced to linger on a page for more time than it takes you to click the home button or Alt+F4, and if your phobia is so server that a digital, cartoon image sends you into panic attacks as you say, you need to seek professional help in managing your symptoms. There's really just no other way to put it. You cannot try to replace actual therapy with bandaid solutions like this suggestion. [/quote] @Contaminate I think you're being unnecessarily harsh in your post. People are allowed to add suggestions for things that would make a site overall much better and more comfortable to use. A lot of sites have a blacklist feature and this could be the equivalent to make it more user friendly. Per your argument about this being laggy, if you see my additional suggestion above it provides a way that would make this work while also not being overly laggy in any way as all it does is a short text check then hides an image.
Huge support!

However can I add a suggestion. Instead of converting the image to a basic scry, if your listed triggering genes are found (via a simple text find, which would not be overly taxing) then the entire image would be hidden with a blurred image box or cover image that says "This has been hidden per your preferences". That way it wouldn't be taxing and would function like an ad block in terms of how hard it is to run.
Contaminate wrote on 2020-08-02 00:34:25:

@Contaminate
I think you're being unnecessarily harsh in your post. People are allowed to add suggestions for things that would make a site overall much better and more comfortable to use. A lot of sites have a blacklist feature and this could be the equivalent to make it more user friendly.

Per your argument about this being laggy, if you see my additional suggestion above it provides a way that would make this work while also not being overly laggy in any way as all it does is a short text check then hides an image.
tXKbExw.png Please take a look at my HibDen for forum games! I store a lot of my dragons there cause I don't have space! Tabs I don't want used say so in tab description.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13