Back

Art Sales

For commissions and flat-sale of your creative efforts.
TOPIC | Cryo's FR Writing Shop -- open
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
@Cryoluxa

It is Amazing!

I loved every bit of it!! Oooh, so much plot! It's perfect!

So, would you prefer payment through cr or pm? (You did mention it is a rough draft, does that mean it is unfinished?)

Thank you so, so much! I loved reading it!

I thought the ulta-long vegetable name was hilarious! Thanks for adding that in! It further showed how ridiculous the whole competition is!
@Cryoluxa

It is Amazing!

I loved every bit of it!! Oooh, so much plot! It's perfect!

So, would you prefer payment through cr or pm? (You did mention it is a rough draft, does that mean it is unfinished?)

Thank you so, so much! I loved reading it!

I thought the ulta-long vegetable name was hilarious! Thanks for adding that in! It further showed how ridiculous the whole competition is!
@PlushKiwi

XD I'm glad you liked it! And it started as a rough but then kind of became finished so... :P XD

Anyway, PM is preferred. Again, I'm happy you liked it. ^_^ Don't forget to credit me and link back, as per the rules in the opening post! And do let me know if you wind up referencing it in your little bits of lore in your fodderlocke posts. It would be fun for me to read. :)

Edit: And I'm glad you liked the bit with the rhubarb! X3
@PlushKiwi

XD I'm glad you liked it! And it started as a rough but then kind of became finished so... :P XD

Anyway, PM is preferred. Again, I'm happy you liked it. ^_^ Don't forget to credit me and link back, as per the rules in the opening post! And do let me know if you wind up referencing it in your little bits of lore in your fodderlocke posts. It would be fun for me to read. :)

Edit: And I'm glad you liked the bit with the rhubarb! X3
@Cryoluxa - No idea if you're still open...but I'ma slap down my form just in case Im baaaack! Whoo, finally finished a long term project! I'm so excited! Get ready for a ton of parentheses, questions marks, and run on sentences! (I am so, so sorry. My attention span is non existent so I made this form in short bursts) [Quote=Plushkiwi's incoherent rambling] Order: List your whole order. LARGE BIO Character(s): (Link to dragons as applicable) Tora, I'll include an image as well because I genes her up and gave her an outfit (whoo!) [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/48994990][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/489950/48994990_350.png[/img][/url] Premise: Please describe what you want the story to be about. Once again, just spit balling ideas at you. But hopefully you can make sense of them more or less. And please feel free to ask questions! Story of her. She is a slowly rotting corpse that was risen incompletely due to an incorrect or incomplete necromancy spell. Maybe the story has her go through her days from being awoken to slowly remembering that she was the necromancer who cast the spell and unfortunately died (somehow??) before finishing the spell. Perhaps this has unforseen side-effects? Such as no master or goal to accomplish? This leaves her to her own devices? Perhaps slowly remembering her past (some spells) and making "plans" for her future as a new member of the undead that is slowly becoming self-aware and self-sufficient? Once again, go ham with your ideas as well! I'm more than willing to pay for the short story if you do go over the "large bio" limit!! Details: Anything from your personal lore that I need to know. (I may ask questions regardless of what's put in here.) Spooky swamp witch...? Skull face from accent!? Pearl is decaying (brown smoke coming from it, stench?) Hiding in the woods/swamp. Slowly rotting corpse. Discount: If a discount applies, put it here. Returning customer (10%) not sure if it applies?? Payment Type: [b]Treasure[/b] or Gems Payment Total: 45kt+ but once again, if you go over I'm able to pay the short story price! [/Quote] ----------------------- I'm gonna be completely honest, I originally had no idea what type of lore I wanted for her. But I found myself scrolling through some lore clans and noticed a pattern of necromancy! So...here we are!! Hopefully it makes sense and please take artistic liberties with it as well if you choose to write it!
@Cryoluxa - No idea if you're still open...but I'ma slap down my form just in case

Im baaaack! Whoo, finally finished a long term project! I'm so excited! Get ready for a ton of parentheses, questions marks, and run on sentences! (I am so, so sorry. My attention span is non existent so I made this form in short bursts)
Plushkiwi's incoherent rambling wrote:
Order: List your whole order. LARGE BIO
Character(s): (Link to dragons as applicable) Tora, I'll include an image as well because I genes her up and gave her an outfit (whoo!)

48994990_350.png
Premise: Please describe what you want the story to be about.

Once again, just spit balling ideas at you. But hopefully you can make sense of them more or less. And please feel free to ask questions!

Story of her. She is a slowly rotting corpse that was risen incompletely due to an incorrect or incomplete necromancy spell. Maybe the story has her go through her days from being awoken to slowly remembering that she was the necromancer who cast the spell and unfortunately died (somehow??) before finishing the spell. Perhaps this has unforseen side-effects? Such as no master or goal to accomplish? This leaves her to her own devices? Perhaps slowly remembering her past (some spells) and making "plans" for her future as a new member of the undead that is slowly becoming self-aware and self-sufficient?

Once again, go ham with your ideas as well! I'm more than willing to pay for the short story if you do go over the "large bio" limit!!

Details: Anything from your personal lore that I need to know. (I may ask questions regardless of what's put in here.)

Spooky swamp witch...? Skull face from accent!? Pearl is decaying (brown smoke coming from it, stench?) Hiding in the woods/swamp. Slowly rotting corpse.

Discount: If a discount applies, put it here. Returning customer (10%) not sure if it applies??
Payment Type: Treasure or Gems
Payment Total: 45kt+ but once again, if you go over I'm able to pay the short story price!

I'm gonna be completely honest, I originally had no idea what type of lore I wanted for her. But I found myself scrolling through some lore clans and noticed a pattern of necromancy! So...here we are!! Hopefully it makes sense and please take artistic liberties with it as well if you choose to write it!
@PlushKiwi

Hey, yo there bud! Looks like you've come to me with quite the interesting one this time, hm? Sounds fun. Necromancy is an interesting thing to write about, in my opinion. There are so many forms it can take, and so many reasons a necromancer might go into that particular field of magic. And it's not always "I'm evil and destroy what's sacred in order to take over the world muahaha!" (But even that can be interesting if you go into more depth on it.)

And the ideas you put here... Dang, Tora's an interesting one. I have some ideas based on this framework you've laid out. That said, I don't know much about the gal herself. Let's start with some general classification. It's okay if you don't know what motivated her to become a necromancer originally, especially since she doesn't remember much about her past.

However, I need to know some fundamentals about her that would be true of her, even without her memories. For example, core values and general disposition. Is she naturally curious? Does she just take things as they come at her instead of seeking out new info? Does she have any sort of driving ambition or something that makes her keep seeking whatever? (Power, happiness, etc.) What is it? Is she cold? Emotional? Is she more focused on what's right in front of her, or is her head usually in the clouds? Is there anything she finds particularly intriguing (colors, shapes, movement, insight, fresh ideas, history, animals, plants, rocks, etc.)?

For a character who doesn't have much of a past (such as our amnesiac here) this sort of "instinctual" stuff is really important, since they're going to be focused on that instead of their history in order to answer "what do I do now?" and so on.

Also, should this be set in a generic swamp? 'Cause I can do that and it'd be pretty easy. :P It would be great for the overall mood, too.

And yes, you are indeed a returning customer so the discount applies! XD

Also, here's a short list of my own dragons your gal's situation kind of reminds me of (but they're obviously actually very different) if you feel like taking a bit of a read there. :)
Popuri
Tabian
Ophelia

I have various takes on necromancy/undead in my lair, but these guys have some things in common with Tora (even if they're kind of indirect) so I thought you'd find them interesting.
@PlushKiwi

Hey, yo there bud! Looks like you've come to me with quite the interesting one this time, hm? Sounds fun. Necromancy is an interesting thing to write about, in my opinion. There are so many forms it can take, and so many reasons a necromancer might go into that particular field of magic. And it's not always "I'm evil and destroy what's sacred in order to take over the world muahaha!" (But even that can be interesting if you go into more depth on it.)

And the ideas you put here... Dang, Tora's an interesting one. I have some ideas based on this framework you've laid out. That said, I don't know much about the gal herself. Let's start with some general classification. It's okay if you don't know what motivated her to become a necromancer originally, especially since she doesn't remember much about her past.

However, I need to know some fundamentals about her that would be true of her, even without her memories. For example, core values and general disposition. Is she naturally curious? Does she just take things as they come at her instead of seeking out new info? Does she have any sort of driving ambition or something that makes her keep seeking whatever? (Power, happiness, etc.) What is it? Is she cold? Emotional? Is she more focused on what's right in front of her, or is her head usually in the clouds? Is there anything she finds particularly intriguing (colors, shapes, movement, insight, fresh ideas, history, animals, plants, rocks, etc.)?

For a character who doesn't have much of a past (such as our amnesiac here) this sort of "instinctual" stuff is really important, since they're going to be focused on that instead of their history in order to answer "what do I do now?" and so on.

Also, should this be set in a generic swamp? 'Cause I can do that and it'd be pretty easy. :P It would be great for the overall mood, too.

And yes, you are indeed a returning customer so the discount applies! XD

Also, here's a short list of my own dragons your gal's situation kind of reminds me of (but they're obviously actually very different) if you feel like taking a bit of a read there. :)
Popuri
Tabian
Ophelia

I have various takes on necromancy/undead in my lair, but these guys have some things in common with Tora (even if they're kind of indirect) so I thought you'd find them interesting.
@Cryoluxa I'm going to try and answer these one at a time and hopefully have some full formed ideas. [quote=Plushkiwi's rambling 2.0] Is she naturally curious? [b]Yes, I would say the interest in necromancy was more of a morbid curiosity acted on after a long while of contemplation. Not fully thought through. She's a bit of a impulsive one under pressure. [/b] Does she just take things as they come at her instead of seeking out new info? [B] Seeking out new info, I think she's like a scientist in that respect. Has to understand everything around her, and always finding something new to learn about. [/B] Does she have any sort of driving ambition or something that makes her keep seeking whatever? (Power, happiness, etc.) What is it? [B] I think she wants happiness and knowledge (which is power, if used correctly)[/b] Is she cold? Emotional? [B] I think after the awakening should be like coming out of anesthesia, numb and confused. And then yes, I'd like her to be focused and emotional but keep in inside as much as possible. Because trauma, and she doesn't have a face. [/B] Is she more focused on what's right in front of her, or is her head usually in the clouds? [B] Focused, 100%! She does have her fascinations which does distract her from day to day tasks, but I'd say she is focused most of the time. [/B] Is there anything she finds particularly intriguing (colors, shapes, movement, insight, fresh ideas, history, animals, plants, rocks, etc.)? [B] I think we can stick to the plants route. She's got some gardening gear on her! As well as fresh ideas and history, she's a curious one and does her best to be educated on her fascinations. [/b][/quote] And as for the swamp, I'd like it to be deep in a forest somewhere. Because she is a bit camouflaged with all the brown and green. Otherwise yes, Shrek swamp is perfect! I hope this helps a little. I'm sorry I didn't have a whole plot for this one like last time. Also, I love Ophelia's story! It's so sad and creepy. Maybe I need to make a doll dragon next. Thank you for the recommendations, they helped me figure out how I wanted her emotionally!
@Cryoluxa

I'm going to try and answer these one at a time and hopefully have some full formed ideas.
Plushkiwi's rambling 2.0 wrote:
Is she naturally curious? Yes, I would say the interest in necromancy was more of a morbid curiosity acted on after a long while of contemplation. Not fully thought through. She's a bit of a impulsive one under pressure.
Does she just take things as they come at her instead of seeking out new info? Seeking out new info, I think she's like a scientist in that respect. Has to understand everything around her, and always finding something new to learn about.
Does she have any sort of driving ambition or something that makes her keep seeking whatever? (Power, happiness, etc.) What is it? I think she wants happiness and knowledge (which is power, if used correctly)
Is she cold? Emotional? I think after the awakening should be like coming out of anesthesia, numb and confused. And then yes, I'd like her to be focused and emotional but keep in inside as much as possible. Because trauma, and she doesn't have a face.
Is she more focused on what's right in front of her, or is her head usually in the clouds? Focused, 100%! She does have her fascinations which does distract her from day to day tasks, but I'd say she is focused most of the time.
Is there anything she finds particularly intriguing (colors, shapes, movement, insight, fresh ideas, history, animals, plants, rocks, etc.)? I think we can stick to the plants route. She's got some gardening gear on her! As well as fresh ideas and history, she's a curious one and does her best to be educated on her fascinations.

And as for the swamp, I'd like it to be deep in a forest somewhere. Because she is a bit camouflaged with all the brown and green. Otherwise yes, Shrek swamp is perfect!

I hope this helps a little. I'm sorry I didn't have a whole plot for this one like last time. Also, I love Ophelia's story! It's so sad and creepy. Maybe I need to make a doll dragon next. Thank you for the recommendations, they helped me figure out how I wanted her emotionally!
@PlushKiwi

Sorry for the delay! I'm glad you enjoyed those bios and that they helped you pin down where you wanted your gal to be emotionally! I'll do my best to represent her based on what you've given me. Let me know if I got anything wrong!

It started with a groan. With the smell of decay. With the soft, damp moss and mud below her as she raised herself from the ground. The Pearlcatcher slowly, drowsily looked around.

It was sunset, judging by the golden light. Thick fog crept slowly about the ground in wispy curls. She could hear the distant chirping and shrill croaking of crickets, tree frogs, and small brush birds. The air was cool and held a high concentration of water vapor. Quiet, yet noisy. Still, yet filled with life. Indeed. She was in a swamp.

Oddly, it felt like home, though the Pearlcatcher was only just realizing that she didn't remember anything about her past. She had her vocabulary intact, and she could recognize basic facts like what a swamp was, but that was about it. For a moment, she wondered who she was, but was at least able to remember her name.

Tora. the Pearlcatcher thought. My name is Tora. She looked around the swamp again in puzzlement. But...what am I doing here?

Tora tried to remember what her home was like. Nothing. Idly, Tora scratched her head as she pondered this unusual circumstance. But then, she froze. Her hand held something. Uneasy, and with a clenched stomach, she carefully pulled whatever this thing was in front of her face. A hairy lump of flesh. Somehow, she knew it had once been a part of her, herself.

Tora shouted in alarm and chucked the fleshy mass as far into the swamp and the mist as she could. In the distance, she heard a watery plunk. So, there was a body of water nearby. Unsurprising, but that wasn't what took up most of her attention. Once she'd settled her nerves, listening to the sounds of the swamp and calming her breathing, she carefully began to feel around her head. Her stomach churned. She hurried toward where she'd heard the water to confirm what she saw. Gusting away the fog around the water's surface with her wings, she gazed at the rippling natural mirror. All she could do was stare in horror at what she saw: her body was in a state of decay. Her flesh was rotting off of her bones. Her face was basically gone. And then...the mist covered her reflection once more.

Tora sat back onto the springy moss of the water's bank, staring forward in disbelief. It didn't hurt. It wasn't even uncomfortable, this rot that she was afflicted with. Like unlocking a new room, suddenly, new information began to trickle into her mind. And so, without a doubt, she knew... She was undead.

Tora couldn't remember how she'd died. She had no memory nor clue about how she was raised from the dead either. In a bit of a stupor, she sat there, going over what little she knew about herself. She was in a swamp, and it felt comfortably familiar. Her name was Tora. She was a Pearlcatcher. She was undead. She was...alone.

Slowly, once again, Tora took in her surroundings. There was no sign of anyone else. She got up and began blowing around the fog, looking around in the mud for signs of others having been there. Surely they would have left tracks or something in this soft earth. Even with the shadows elongating and the sky darkening, though, she could tell that the only prints in the mud were her own and those of little birds, bugs, and amphibians.

Indeed. She was alone.

~~~~

Time passed.

That first night, Tora had decided that she'd needed to find a place to shelter -- a base of operations, so to speak. She'd let her instinct guide her wanderings, and had found a little hovel made of mud and swamp grasses. She'd been only a little unsure about staying there. What if it had belonged to someone else? However, it had felt so familiar that she'd dismissed most of her worries with relative ease. Sure enough, as the days and nights in the swamp went by, no one came to the earthen structure. Further, the collection of books, scrolls, trinkets, and simple furniture had felt so...home-like to her. She was fairly certain that they were actually hers.

Not needing to go out to hunt or gather, the undead Pearlcatcher instead spent most of her time reading every scrap of text that she could find in the hovel. There were surveys of the wild animals and plant life in the area -- especially the plants -- and pressed and dried samples of particularly interesting vegetation. At least, Tora thought so. Even if she hadn't been the one to put these journals together, she agreed with the author's taste.

Curiosity driving her, Tora continued poking about the hovel...until she found a secret trap door, hidden not only beneath a woven rug, but beneath a layer of mud underneath the rug.

The door creaked on its hinges -- all made of wood, it seemed -- as Tora cautiously pulled it open. There was some sort of scent within, different from the fresh-yet-muddy scents in the swamp. Even as cautious as she was being, somehow, Tora's hands knew what to do. She lit a lantern and shut the glass around it. Then, she lowered it down on a thin rope. It was difficult to see much from above, but once she heard the quiet sound of the encasement settling on the hard-packed dirt floor below, Tora carefully slipped into the opening and glided down to the little light.

As Tora looked around at the walls surrounding her -- even as she was still circling down toward the lantern -- she gaped in awe at what she saw. Ancient tapestries with peculiar writing woven into them hung between tall shelves. Books, boxes, and other unusual objects were scattered all over them. Though she wasn't entirely sure what prompted the thought, she was fairly certain that they were organized by category, rather than by item type. Now deeper into the place, she somehow recognized the scent as being musky and dusty, but with the hidden, older scent of nearly-faded incense mixed in too. A ritual.

Now standing on the ground next to the lantern, Tora paused, wondering why she was so certain that the incense scent had been from a long-completed ritual. She looked around again. There was something on the ground. A quick investigation showed her that there were globs of hardened wax and runny tallow around. Candles. It sure was beginning to feel more and more like her guess was right.

In awe, Tora turned her attention upwards again as she wandered about the hidden room. The tapestries and floor-to-ceiling shelving were simply impressive. She felt like an explorer who had found an ancient ruin, filled with strange and wonderous dangers. However, the thought made her nervous, so she reframed it as looking around a particularly spectacular museum.

Then, she looked down. Her feet had taken her to a desk, shoved up against a wall. There were little wooden drawers built into it, and resting atop it. Vaguely, they resembled a combination of an apothecary's cabinet and a kitchen's storage system. For whatever reason, her fingers went to a specific drawer and pulled it open. Inside was a cloth scrap with some sort of ancient writing on it, and an image showing a jeweled necklace. A single circle seemed to shine above it, and the vague image of dragons were drawn all around it. Tora couldn't read what the text said. However, somehow, she knew roughly what it was depicting.

This necklace contains powerful necromancy magic. She startled herself with the knowledge initially, but shook it off to try to remember more. Ah. Yes... So, this was a memory. She'd been here before. She'd deciphered the cloth scrap before. Somehow, she knew this. If worn by one who can tap into its power successfully, then that person could raise the dead. These undead beings would serve the one who raised them faithfully, bound to their master. If the master loses the necklace somehow, and someone else obtains it, then the horde will stop serving their previous master, and mill about, waiting for someone to command them again. After all, simply possessing or wearing the necklace is not enough to command its power. It takes one equally powerful to call upon it.

But what happens to the previous master? Tora wondered, turning the scrap of cloth over. There was nothing there. Alarm she didn't understand growing, she searched the drawer again. There was nothing else inside. Frantic now, she began searching the entire desk. Then all the shelves. And then she searched them all a second time. Then a third.

It's gone! Tora paused. What was gone? What had she been so desperately looking for?

Her instincts answered her. The necklace. The rest of the text.

Her eyes widened. This had been enough to unlock yet more of her memory. She had been a botanist living in the swamp, surveying nature in peace...but also, secretly, a necromancer. She was fascinated by the craft, and researched all sorts of spells and artifacts, whether they be mere myth or something more...substantial. Here, in this swamp, she came across a sunken ruin. As she explored, she discovered parallels between it and a legend she'd read about: a necromancer who had the power to raise an entire undead army, and who had nearly taken over the world with it. Tora's own ambitions were far more humble. Hers was a scholarly fascination with the craft.

According to the legend, a group of heroes faced down the necromancer and the undead army, and against all odds, had managed to fell the evil dragon. Tora's memory about the very end of the legend was hazy, but she thought that the undead horde had sunk into...the swamp.

Was that why I began researching here? Was I looking for evidence of this legend? Or did I only just happen upon the site? It felt like the latter, really. She'd consumed a lot of similar stories, all of which she'd thought of only as fiction. But this one was real.

Tora tried to remember more. However, at least regarding the legend, the rest of her memories were still blocked. So, she began to wonder about the necklace.

I'd found it. she recalled. I found it in the swamp. If it had been on a corpse or something, then the corpse had long-since rotted away. It was by itself. But then, when I cleaned it up...it was some sort of unnatural, untarnishable gold, with cut, shining rubies set into it. I found a water-tight box, too. Small canvas sheets, scrawled with information about the necklace, were inside, protected from the swamp...

Wait. Sheets? As in, more than one? Yes, she remembered that clearly...though that was the extent of it. Well, mostly. She knew they were important. She knew they somehow had to do with the ritual she had- ... Yes. She had been the one to perform the ritual in which the candles and incense had been used, right here in this room. She'd used the necklace...but how? Had she raised an undead horde? Had she used the necklace for something else?

No matter how hard Tora thought about it, she couldn't remember anything more about it. All she knew for sure was that she had to get the necklace and those cloth sheets back. It was important. Life-and-death level important...and she somehow knew that she wouldn't be able to figure out exactly why it was important until she had them back. They were the key...to unlocking what she had forgotten.

And so, Tora decided. She'd go on a quest to find her lost memories, finding whatever triggers she could, just as she'd been doing since she awoke. And, most importantly, she'd find that necklace, find those canvas scraps. If she did, she was sure she would discover how she became undead, what had happened after she'd performed the ritual, and...

The remaining thought chilled her. It was something so obvious, but that she hadn't thought about before now -- or perhaps, hadn't wanted to think about until now. Just who had taken these things, how, and for what purpose? Who else was involved in this mystery? Just who was...this mysterious threat?

One person? A whole group? How much did they know? More than Tora with her amnesia, certainly. Whoever it was, she knew they were her enemies. And another thought sat in her stomach like an unmelting ice cube... Whoever it was...had probably killed her over it.

The end! I hope you liked it. It was fun to jump into such a mysterious adventure story. :) Though I filled in a lot more story details than I normally do in this shop. XD; Whoops! Well, next time just have more of a concept ready, I guess. This isn't an ideas shop, it's a writing shop. Well, it was kind of my fault this time anyway, so I'm not mad or anything. Just clarifying. :)

Edit: Also, I didn't review it for typos or anything. :P If I go back and reread it and find something that needs to be adjusted, I'll let you know. Otherwise, it's done!
@PlushKiwi

Sorry for the delay! I'm glad you enjoyed those bios and that they helped you pin down where you wanted your gal to be emotionally! I'll do my best to represent her based on what you've given me. Let me know if I got anything wrong!

It started with a groan. With the smell of decay. With the soft, damp moss and mud below her as she raised herself from the ground. The Pearlcatcher slowly, drowsily looked around.

It was sunset, judging by the golden light. Thick fog crept slowly about the ground in wispy curls. She could hear the distant chirping and shrill croaking of crickets, tree frogs, and small brush birds. The air was cool and held a high concentration of water vapor. Quiet, yet noisy. Still, yet filled with life. Indeed. She was in a swamp.

Oddly, it felt like home, though the Pearlcatcher was only just realizing that she didn't remember anything about her past. She had her vocabulary intact, and she could recognize basic facts like what a swamp was, but that was about it. For a moment, she wondered who she was, but was at least able to remember her name.

Tora. the Pearlcatcher thought. My name is Tora. She looked around the swamp again in puzzlement. But...what am I doing here?

Tora tried to remember what her home was like. Nothing. Idly, Tora scratched her head as she pondered this unusual circumstance. But then, she froze. Her hand held something. Uneasy, and with a clenched stomach, she carefully pulled whatever this thing was in front of her face. A hairy lump of flesh. Somehow, she knew it had once been a part of her, herself.

Tora shouted in alarm and chucked the fleshy mass as far into the swamp and the mist as she could. In the distance, she heard a watery plunk. So, there was a body of water nearby. Unsurprising, but that wasn't what took up most of her attention. Once she'd settled her nerves, listening to the sounds of the swamp and calming her breathing, she carefully began to feel around her head. Her stomach churned. She hurried toward where she'd heard the water to confirm what she saw. Gusting away the fog around the water's surface with her wings, she gazed at the rippling natural mirror. All she could do was stare in horror at what she saw: her body was in a state of decay. Her flesh was rotting off of her bones. Her face was basically gone. And then...the mist covered her reflection once more.

Tora sat back onto the springy moss of the water's bank, staring forward in disbelief. It didn't hurt. It wasn't even uncomfortable, this rot that she was afflicted with. Like unlocking a new room, suddenly, new information began to trickle into her mind. And so, without a doubt, she knew... She was undead.

Tora couldn't remember how she'd died. She had no memory nor clue about how she was raised from the dead either. In a bit of a stupor, she sat there, going over what little she knew about herself. She was in a swamp, and it felt comfortably familiar. Her name was Tora. She was a Pearlcatcher. She was undead. She was...alone.

Slowly, once again, Tora took in her surroundings. There was no sign of anyone else. She got up and began blowing around the fog, looking around in the mud for signs of others having been there. Surely they would have left tracks or something in this soft earth. Even with the shadows elongating and the sky darkening, though, she could tell that the only prints in the mud were her own and those of little birds, bugs, and amphibians.

Indeed. She was alone.

~~~~

Time passed.

That first night, Tora had decided that she'd needed to find a place to shelter -- a base of operations, so to speak. She'd let her instinct guide her wanderings, and had found a little hovel made of mud and swamp grasses. She'd been only a little unsure about staying there. What if it had belonged to someone else? However, it had felt so familiar that she'd dismissed most of her worries with relative ease. Sure enough, as the days and nights in the swamp went by, no one came to the earthen structure. Further, the collection of books, scrolls, trinkets, and simple furniture had felt so...home-like to her. She was fairly certain that they were actually hers.

Not needing to go out to hunt or gather, the undead Pearlcatcher instead spent most of her time reading every scrap of text that she could find in the hovel. There were surveys of the wild animals and plant life in the area -- especially the plants -- and pressed and dried samples of particularly interesting vegetation. At least, Tora thought so. Even if she hadn't been the one to put these journals together, she agreed with the author's taste.

Curiosity driving her, Tora continued poking about the hovel...until she found a secret trap door, hidden not only beneath a woven rug, but beneath a layer of mud underneath the rug.

The door creaked on its hinges -- all made of wood, it seemed -- as Tora cautiously pulled it open. There was some sort of scent within, different from the fresh-yet-muddy scents in the swamp. Even as cautious as she was being, somehow, Tora's hands knew what to do. She lit a lantern and shut the glass around it. Then, she lowered it down on a thin rope. It was difficult to see much from above, but once she heard the quiet sound of the encasement settling on the hard-packed dirt floor below, Tora carefully slipped into the opening and glided down to the little light.

As Tora looked around at the walls surrounding her -- even as she was still circling down toward the lantern -- she gaped in awe at what she saw. Ancient tapestries with peculiar writing woven into them hung between tall shelves. Books, boxes, and other unusual objects were scattered all over them. Though she wasn't entirely sure what prompted the thought, she was fairly certain that they were organized by category, rather than by item type. Now deeper into the place, she somehow recognized the scent as being musky and dusty, but with the hidden, older scent of nearly-faded incense mixed in too. A ritual.

Now standing on the ground next to the lantern, Tora paused, wondering why she was so certain that the incense scent had been from a long-completed ritual. She looked around again. There was something on the ground. A quick investigation showed her that there were globs of hardened wax and runny tallow around. Candles. It sure was beginning to feel more and more like her guess was right.

In awe, Tora turned her attention upwards again as she wandered about the hidden room. The tapestries and floor-to-ceiling shelving were simply impressive. She felt like an explorer who had found an ancient ruin, filled with strange and wonderous dangers. However, the thought made her nervous, so she reframed it as looking around a particularly spectacular museum.

Then, she looked down. Her feet had taken her to a desk, shoved up against a wall. There were little wooden drawers built into it, and resting atop it. Vaguely, they resembled a combination of an apothecary's cabinet and a kitchen's storage system. For whatever reason, her fingers went to a specific drawer and pulled it open. Inside was a cloth scrap with some sort of ancient writing on it, and an image showing a jeweled necklace. A single circle seemed to shine above it, and the vague image of dragons were drawn all around it. Tora couldn't read what the text said. However, somehow, she knew roughly what it was depicting.

This necklace contains powerful necromancy magic. She startled herself with the knowledge initially, but shook it off to try to remember more. Ah. Yes... So, this was a memory. She'd been here before. She'd deciphered the cloth scrap before. Somehow, she knew this. If worn by one who can tap into its power successfully, then that person could raise the dead. These undead beings would serve the one who raised them faithfully, bound to their master. If the master loses the necklace somehow, and someone else obtains it, then the horde will stop serving their previous master, and mill about, waiting for someone to command them again. After all, simply possessing or wearing the necklace is not enough to command its power. It takes one equally powerful to call upon it.

But what happens to the previous master? Tora wondered, turning the scrap of cloth over. There was nothing there. Alarm she didn't understand growing, she searched the drawer again. There was nothing else inside. Frantic now, she began searching the entire desk. Then all the shelves. And then she searched them all a second time. Then a third.

It's gone! Tora paused. What was gone? What had she been so desperately looking for?

Her instincts answered her. The necklace. The rest of the text.

Her eyes widened. This had been enough to unlock yet more of her memory. She had been a botanist living in the swamp, surveying nature in peace...but also, secretly, a necromancer. She was fascinated by the craft, and researched all sorts of spells and artifacts, whether they be mere myth or something more...substantial. Here, in this swamp, she came across a sunken ruin. As she explored, she discovered parallels between it and a legend she'd read about: a necromancer who had the power to raise an entire undead army, and who had nearly taken over the world with it. Tora's own ambitions were far more humble. Hers was a scholarly fascination with the craft.

According to the legend, a group of heroes faced down the necromancer and the undead army, and against all odds, had managed to fell the evil dragon. Tora's memory about the very end of the legend was hazy, but she thought that the undead horde had sunk into...the swamp.

Was that why I began researching here? Was I looking for evidence of this legend? Or did I only just happen upon the site? It felt like the latter, really. She'd consumed a lot of similar stories, all of which she'd thought of only as fiction. But this one was real.

Tora tried to remember more. However, at least regarding the legend, the rest of her memories were still blocked. So, she began to wonder about the necklace.

I'd found it. she recalled. I found it in the swamp. If it had been on a corpse or something, then the corpse had long-since rotted away. It was by itself. But then, when I cleaned it up...it was some sort of unnatural, untarnishable gold, with cut, shining rubies set into it. I found a water-tight box, too. Small canvas sheets, scrawled with information about the necklace, were inside, protected from the swamp...

Wait. Sheets? As in, more than one? Yes, she remembered that clearly...though that was the extent of it. Well, mostly. She knew they were important. She knew they somehow had to do with the ritual she had- ... Yes. She had been the one to perform the ritual in which the candles and incense had been used, right here in this room. She'd used the necklace...but how? Had she raised an undead horde? Had she used the necklace for something else?

No matter how hard Tora thought about it, she couldn't remember anything more about it. All she knew for sure was that she had to get the necklace and those cloth sheets back. It was important. Life-and-death level important...and she somehow knew that she wouldn't be able to figure out exactly why it was important until she had them back. They were the key...to unlocking what she had forgotten.

And so, Tora decided. She'd go on a quest to find her lost memories, finding whatever triggers she could, just as she'd been doing since she awoke. And, most importantly, she'd find that necklace, find those canvas scraps. If she did, she was sure she would discover how she became undead, what had happened after she'd performed the ritual, and...

The remaining thought chilled her. It was something so obvious, but that she hadn't thought about before now -- or perhaps, hadn't wanted to think about until now. Just who had taken these things, how, and for what purpose? Who else was involved in this mystery? Just who was...this mysterious threat?

One person? A whole group? How much did they know? More than Tora with her amnesia, certainly. Whoever it was, she knew they were her enemies. And another thought sat in her stomach like an unmelting ice cube... Whoever it was...had probably killed her over it.

The end! I hope you liked it. It was fun to jump into such a mysterious adventure story. :) Though I filled in a lot more story details than I normally do in this shop. XD; Whoops! Well, next time just have more of a concept ready, I guess. This isn't an ideas shop, it's a writing shop. Well, it was kind of my fault this time anyway, so I'm not mad or anything. Just clarifying. :)

Edit: Also, I didn't review it for typos or anything. :P If I go back and reread it and find something that needs to be adjusted, I'll let you know. Otherwise, it's done!
@Cryoluxa

Oh wow what an adventure! Thank you so much!

I'm sorry for the lack of detail in my description. I'll be sure to have a more thorough idea next time! (Guess I was just excited because she is my first completed project)

I'll send the payment through CR!
@Cryoluxa

Oh wow what an adventure! Thank you so much!

I'm sorry for the lack of detail in my description. I'll be sure to have a more thorough idea next time! (Guess I was just excited because she is my first completed project)

I'll send the payment through CR!
@PlushKiwi

No prob! Like I said, it was my fault this time. I just got carried away by inspiration. XD I'm glad you liked the story!
@PlushKiwi

No prob! Like I said, it was my fault this time. I just got carried away by inspiration. XD I'm glad you liked the story!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11