Suggestions
Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | coliseum bounty trading post npc
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
people seemed to like this idea over on tumblr so i'm posting it here! copying most of the text from my post there. please note that most of this is just building on a basic idea & nothing's set in stone; if you dislike a specific part of it, you're free to suggest alternatives ^^ the basic concept is this: a [b]new npc[/b] is added to the trading post, who hands out [b]coliseum bounties[/b]. you can take a bounty there, at which point you are assigned to kill a certain (random; at least 20 but no more than 80? probably much lower than that) number of a certain (random) coliseum enemy. first of all, the idea is to encourage an [b]alternative way[/b] of coli grinding for people who struggle to do so without clearly defined goals by giving them one, and ensuring that that goal is both realistic but also varied (the bounties are, after all, random!) specifically, it’s also meant to be accessible to [i]anyone[/i] - coli challenges on the forum exist, sure, but not everyone uses the forums, knows how to find them or wants to bother with keeping track of their progress. sometimes simple is good! furthermore, the goal is to have things be as [b]accessible[/b] to new players as well as more experienced ones; ideally, this npc would encourage new players to check out and use the coliseum. i’m leaving exact balancing to the staff, but one possible way to do it is for it to check the levels of the three highest-leveled dragons you have in your lair, capping venues at a certain point based on that. [b]lore-wise[/b], it would work well if the npc is a [b]gaoler[/b], recruiting dragons to assist the seekers in their cause. they’d be sending you to places where the shade fragments are stronger at that moment, so that you can help deal with the problem. as a reward, upon bounty completion, the npc will reward you with a chest item; the [b]seeker’s spoils[/b]. lore-wise, this ties into the gaoler’s practical habit of not making hoards: instead, this npc is giving out the loot from their hunts as rewards to encourage other dragons to fight! the seeker’s spoils would be a chest item, containing a small assortment of [b]coliseum loot[/b]: food, materials and trinkets, as well as a smaller chance of familiars, battlestones, apparel; even vistas, scenes and eggs! droprates are akin to the coliseum itself. i'm not going to be doing exact balancing here but the idea is that it wouldn’t be the new meta for coli profit or anything; rather a nice way to encourage you to keep going as well as to somewhat offset the fact that you don’t get to choose where or what to grind. the spoils would also come in [b]several tiers[/b], with higher tiers awarding better/more loot; which tier you get is based on the number of enemies you were assigned and the venue your bounty was in (so that harder bounties are rewarded appropriately; also so newbies are motivated to train!) spoils could also award [b]unique rewards[/b], rarely, to further encourage people to take on bounties. examples would be a campsite-themed scene, a special vista, or apparel themed after specific coliseum enemies or venues. perhaps even familiars; something similar to the dripcave deputy to tie in to the gaoler npc, maybe? personally i'm thinking that bounties would be unlimited so people can enjoy the coliseum in any way they want, whenever they want. ideally, this is an activity you can pick up at any time, both if you've got nothing better to do or if there's an event going on. but in case you don't like the bounty you get, or it's still above your skill/comfort level, there’d also be a possibility of changing your current bounty that is limited by a timer in some way so that it’s not abused yet still useful. giving you a few rerolls every number of hours, or something like it? also here's a little mockup of how it could look (note that i made this in like 5 minutes in ms paint): [img]https://i.imgur.com/POqOh9g.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/JNBoSVl.png[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/UEmamqv.png[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/DQN6nQh.png[/img] (the bolded enemy and venue names would also double as links to their game database entries!) also, some more possible ideas based on things others have suggested: [quote name="Limanya" date="2021-07-21 02:55:49" ] i think a fiona-like system could work if it's aimed at guiding newbies through the coli process — one of my original ideas for a drop from the spoils was a clanbound xp-boosting item mostly meant for newer players still levelling their team (though i wasn't sure how to balance it to not affect the way people train fodder too much), and i feel like something like that would work very well for a [b]task system[/b] instead. tasks could be things like completing bounties in certain venues for the first time, allocating stats and battlestones, reaching level milestones, defeating bosses for the first time etc. and giving out one-time rewards of spoils & items useful for newer coli users? and then maybe some of the unique drops from spoils - familiars, scene, vista, apparel, etc. could be guaranteed as a one-time reward from the furthest, milestone goals — things that take some time so people starting bounties with a full lv25 don't immediately get them; maybe things like "complete 250 bounties" or "complete 20 bounties in the forbidden portal". bounties themselves are still the main focus, and the tasks wouldn't really be updated beyond the initial list the way fiona's feats are (barring new venues being added), but tasks could definitely be helpful. [/quote] [quote name="Limanya" date="2021-07-21 03:11:32" ] i think limiting it mostly to enemy species is good since i think having tasks be too different from each other might be confusing, but having a chance of getting a different bounty every once in a while — like ones focused on defeating bosses (defeat every boss, or defeat x of x boss) would be nice. could give special rewards, too, or just higher rewards than normal. during events like notn and festivals, you could also get [b]special themed bounties[/b] given out rarely — like you said, you could have "defeat 60 lightning enemies" (maybe with a venue restriction? so that rewards can still be properly tiered) during thundercrack carnivale, which gives you bonus fest currency alongside the spoils you already get. or during notn, bounties for specific mimics or just "defeat x mimics in x venue", and it gives you a special spoils item that also gives notn coli drops including at least one or more guaranteed strange chest. those special bounties wouldn't be given all the time, but they'd be a nice surprise and help shake things up a little bit. [/quote] [quote name="Limanya" date="2021-07-30 08:39:19" ] for fun, here's a couple of items that apparel rewards could be based off of since i was thinking about that: [item=Auburn Woolly Pelt][item=Berserker's Belt][item=Brilliant Length][item=Ceremonial Sash][item=Chipskink Tail][item=Display Frills][item=Golden Key][item=Intricate Weaving][item=Airborne Warrior Belt][item=Ceremonial Scythe][item=Cheerful Chime][item=Clockwork Shield][item=Condor's Breastplate][item=Expertly-Crafted Spear][item=Flute][item=Golden Collar][item=Hardshell Helmet][item=Masked Gryphon Staff][item=Magi Casting Rod][item=Lost Lute][item=Pulsating Pendant][item=Pristine Harpy Leathers][item=Redfin Belt][item=Sharpened Serthis Lance][item=Shining Gladiator's Helmet][item=Stonestomp Tunic][item=Avian Gemstaff][item=Balanced Walking Sticks][item=Battered Gauntlet][item=Stuffed Mith][item=Wolpertinger Hoodie] (they'd be either replicas if they're originally non-dragon-sized items, or otherwise 'pristine' versions not damaged by the shade creatures of the coli if they are) also i think that reintroducing the idea of battlestone recolors/reskins via this would be pretty fun, if those were to be added as a reward too. just seems pretty fitting for a coli-based activity to give special battlestones (even if they functionally aren't anything new?) [/quote]
people seemed to like this idea over on tumblr so i'm posting it here! copying most of the text from my post there. please note that most of this is just building on a basic idea & nothing's set in stone; if you dislike a specific part of it, you're free to suggest alternatives ^^

the basic concept is this: a new npc is added to the trading post, who hands out coliseum bounties. you can take a bounty there, at which point you are assigned to kill a certain (random; at least 20 but no more than 80? probably much lower than that) number of a certain (random) coliseum enemy.

first of all, the idea is to encourage an alternative way of coli grinding for people who struggle to do so without clearly defined goals by giving them one, and ensuring that that goal is both realistic but also varied (the bounties are, after all, random!) specifically, it’s also meant to be accessible to anyone - coli challenges on the forum exist, sure, but not everyone uses the forums, knows how to find them or wants to bother with keeping track of their progress. sometimes simple is good!

furthermore, the goal is to have things be as accessible to new players as well as more experienced ones; ideally, this npc would encourage new players to check out and use the coliseum. i’m leaving exact balancing to the staff, but one possible way to do it is for it to check the levels of the three highest-leveled dragons you have in your lair, capping venues at a certain point based on that.

lore-wise, it would work well if the npc is a gaoler, recruiting dragons to assist the seekers in their cause. they’d be sending you to places where the shade fragments are stronger at that moment, so that you can help deal with the problem.

as a reward, upon bounty completion, the npc will reward you with a chest item; the seeker’s spoils. lore-wise, this ties into the gaoler’s practical habit of not making hoards: instead, this npc is giving out the loot from their hunts as rewards to encourage other dragons to fight!

the seeker’s spoils would be a chest item, containing a small assortment of coliseum loot: food, materials and trinkets, as well as a smaller chance of familiars, battlestones, apparel; even vistas, scenes and eggs! droprates are akin to the coliseum itself. i'm not going to be doing exact balancing here but the idea is that it wouldn’t be the new meta for coli profit or anything; rather a nice way to encourage you to keep going as well as to somewhat offset the fact that you don’t get to choose where or what to grind. the spoils would also come in several tiers, with higher tiers awarding better/more loot; which tier you get is based on the number of enemies you were assigned and the venue your bounty was in (so that harder bounties are rewarded appropriately; also so newbies are motivated to train!)

spoils could also award unique rewards, rarely, to further encourage people to take on bounties. examples would be a campsite-themed scene, a special vista, or apparel themed after specific coliseum enemies or venues. perhaps even familiars; something similar to the dripcave deputy to tie in to the gaoler npc, maybe?

personally i'm thinking that bounties would be unlimited so people can enjoy the coliseum in any way they want, whenever they want. ideally, this is an activity you can pick up at any time, both if you've got nothing better to do or if there's an event going on. but in case you don't like the bounty you get, or it's still above your skill/comfort level, there’d also be a possibility of changing your current bounty that is limited by a timer in some way so that it’s not abused yet still useful. giving you a few rerolls every number of hours, or something like it?

also here's a little mockup of how it could look (note that i made this in like 5 minutes in ms paint):

POqOh9g.png
JNBoSVl.pngUEmamqv.pngDQN6nQh.png

(the bolded enemy and venue names would also double as links to their game database entries!)

also, some more possible ideas based on things others have suggested:
Limanya wrote on 2021-07-21 02:55:49:
i think a fiona-like system could work if it's aimed at guiding newbies through the coli process — one of my original ideas for a drop from the spoils was a clanbound xp-boosting item mostly meant for newer players still levelling their team (though i wasn't sure how to balance it to not affect the way people train fodder too much), and i feel like something like that would work very well for a task system instead.

tasks could be things like completing bounties in certain venues for the first time, allocating stats and battlestones, reaching level milestones, defeating bosses for the first time etc. and giving out one-time rewards of spoils & items useful for newer coli users?

and then maybe some of the unique drops from spoils - familiars, scene, vista, apparel, etc. could be guaranteed as a one-time reward from the furthest, milestone goals — things that take some time so people starting bounties with a full lv25 don't immediately get them; maybe things like "complete 250 bounties" or "complete 20 bounties in the forbidden portal". bounties themselves are still the main focus, and the tasks wouldn't really be updated beyond the initial list the way fiona's feats are (barring new venues being added), but tasks could definitely be helpful.
Limanya wrote on 2021-07-21 03:11:32:
i think limiting it mostly to enemy species is good since i think having tasks be too different from each other might be confusing, but having a chance of getting a different bounty every once in a while — like ones focused on defeating bosses (defeat every boss, or defeat x of x boss) would be nice. could give special rewards, too, or just higher rewards than normal.

during events like notn and festivals, you could also get special themed bounties given out rarely — like you said, you could have "defeat 60 lightning enemies" (maybe with a venue restriction? so that rewards can still be properly tiered) during thundercrack carnivale, which gives you bonus fest currency alongside the spoils you already get. or during notn, bounties for specific mimics or just "defeat x mimics in x venue", and it gives you a special spoils item that also gives notn coli drops including at least one or more guaranteed strange chest. those special bounties wouldn't be given all the time, but they'd be a nice surprise and help shake things up a little bit.
Limanya wrote on 2021-07-30 08:39:19:
for fun, here's a couple of items that apparel rewards could be based off of since i was thinking about that:

(they'd be either replicas if they're originally non-dragon-sized items, or otherwise 'pristine' versions not damaged by the shade creatures of the coli if they are)

also i think that reintroducing the idea of battlestone recolors/reskins via this would be pretty fun, if those were to be added as a reward too. just seems pretty fitting for a coli-based activity to give special battlestones (even if they functionally aren't anything new?)

kD1lSZv.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» randomizer rumble coli challenge
love this idea a lot
love this idea a lot
weasel-s-light-sprite.pngSpinelRaffle.pngYeK8t.gifj5kam.gifi64td.gifZglSQ.gif4wfbC.gifBGoFu.gifFx7Rr.gifpl2a6.gifxpvJG.gif+1 FR time
I wouldn’t be opposed to this, new goals are always good
I wouldn’t be opposed to this, new goals are always good
UBaiWUV.pngfLdYOuE.pngOxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.pngvoyURL5.pngVjdktqS.png
Support! I love this idea, i struggle to find the motivation to coli and coli challenges dont provide enough motivation for me. The most time ive spent in the coli recently was during dustcarve, so having something like this with bounties and rewards would be amazing!!
Support! I love this idea, i struggle to find the motivation to coli and coli challenges dont provide enough motivation for me. The most time ive spent in the coli recently was during dustcarve, so having something like this with bounties and rewards would be amazing!!
1f941ff9fade91da69130c34ccd8ff1d7adc46b7.png
YES YES YES YES ALL OF MY YES. Huge huge support!

Right now the only "encouragement" / goal I have related to the coli is for opening some hibernal den slots and the droprates are just enough that it feels more like a chore than anything. most of the swipp swaps & the baldwin brews that require coli-exclusive items don't appeal to me at all, or I could usually buy them easily off the auction house from other people. Having this NPC would be a great way to encourage someone like me & people who probably have fully or mostly expanded their hibden & have acquired every trade/ recipe item that requires coli items.

I think this site would benefit from having a "bounty" system for quests tbh, could incentivize adventure mode even?
YES YES YES YES ALL OF MY YES. Huge huge support!

Right now the only "encouragement" / goal I have related to the coli is for opening some hibernal den slots and the droprates are just enough that it feels more like a chore than anything. most of the swipp swaps & the baldwin brews that require coli-exclusive items don't appeal to me at all, or I could usually buy them easily off the auction house from other people. Having this NPC would be a great way to encourage someone like me & people who probably have fully or mostly expanded their hibden & have acquired every trade/ recipe item that requires coli items.

I think this site would benefit from having a "bounty" system for quests tbh, could incentivize adventure mode even?
@wickedgarden || they/them || +3 fr
I love this!! Always looking for more interesting stuff to do and more NPCs to fall in love with!
I love this!! Always looking for more interesting stuff to do and more NPCs to fall in love with!
FR +3
she/her or they/them
Sales Tab
FLAMECALLER_sig.png
huge support for this <3
huge support for this <3
64590965-12.png
I have to say no support to any coliseum only/specific mission/bounty system.

The coliseum is already the most lucrative part of the site, it doesn't need to be encouraged any more, and there are people who literally cannot do it (not just do not like it, but cannot do it) and being locked out of more money making mechanics due to that wouldn't be fair.

I would much rather have just plain 'mission/bounties' that utilize all existing and future site mechanics, such as

Hunt (gather meat) 5 times in earth territory
Transmute (reduce) five items at baldwins
Trade with swipp five times

and so on, so that there is something for everyone.

Having it be related to all mechanics would also make it more accessible to all players, including new players, because new players don't always have a team ready, and since the coliseum bounty should pull from all existing venues, it could pull from the higher level venues, which newer players might not have a team ready to go to those specficially.

Perhaps there is a point system, where you can earn points towards getting from a shop, or perhaps the reward is tangible, ie hunt five times in earth: get some high point food items.

However, no 'progressive' quests, IE, if I don't want to/can't do one quest in a day, I am not penalized for it, I just don't get the reward for it.

But again, no support for a coliseum only bounty system.
I have to say no support to any coliseum only/specific mission/bounty system.

The coliseum is already the most lucrative part of the site, it doesn't need to be encouraged any more, and there are people who literally cannot do it (not just do not like it, but cannot do it) and being locked out of more money making mechanics due to that wouldn't be fair.

I would much rather have just plain 'mission/bounties' that utilize all existing and future site mechanics, such as

Hunt (gather meat) 5 times in earth territory
Transmute (reduce) five items at baldwins
Trade with swipp five times

and so on, so that there is something for everyone.

Having it be related to all mechanics would also make it more accessible to all players, including new players, because new players don't always have a team ready, and since the coliseum bounty should pull from all existing venues, it could pull from the higher level venues, which newer players might not have a team ready to go to those specficially.

Perhaps there is a point system, where you can earn points towards getting from a shop, or perhaps the reward is tangible, ie hunt five times in earth: get some high point food items.

However, no 'progressive' quests, IE, if I don't want to/can't do one quest in a day, I am not penalized for it, I just don't get the reward for it.

But again, no support for a coliseum only bounty system.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Want Hybrid Dragons?
Read THIS!
Want Mutations when Hatching?
Read THIS!
Don't like Unnamed Dragons?
Read THIS!
14318365.png
Huge support!

While I do grind in Coli to train fodder and get stuff for Swipp/Baldwin, I honestly barely touch it otherwise.

Having an NPC set challenges and then keep track of them for me would be amazing.
Huge support!

While I do grind in Coli to train fodder and get stuff for Swipp/Baldwin, I honestly barely touch it otherwise.

Having an NPC set challenges and then keep track of them for me would be amazing.
mvLWOQ6.png
____
-She/her or They/Them |
-Call me Stell! |
-FR time +3 |
-Please ping! |
____
>>Wishlist!
>>Accents!
I really like this idea!

You mentioned unique rewards AND generic chests as potential options for rewards-- maybe like Fiona, this could be split? One tab that produces daily quests for coli loot, and another that sets long term goals for special loot?

Either way this sounds like a lot of fun!! :00
I really like this idea!

You mentioned unique rewards AND generic chests as potential options for rewards-- maybe like Fiona, this could be split? One tab that produces daily quests for coli loot, and another that sets long term goals for special loot?

Either way this sounds like a lot of fun!! :00
wHJXBRj.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23