Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Update From a Graphic Design Opinion
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
those are some good points to think about!

some gripes that i've had with the new design:
  • i also made the mistake of purchasing the scenes and thinking that i could apply it to all my dragons, and not just one
  • i also don't like how the apparel section is the first thing i see. it's as if my dragon is being smothered by the apparel section and the familiar.
  • i'm not a fan of the buttons in the middle row (customize, feed, breed, bond and change familiar). they just feel clunky.
  • i'm not a fan of the battle info being shown on the page. most of my dragons aren't for the coliseum so it feels weird seeing it. besides, i can already see that info while in the coliseum, so i don't need to see it on their page
  • i don't like the dragon likes feature. i think it'll make me feel anxious and/or sad if i see my dragons getting 0 likes and someone else's dragons getting 50+ likes.
those are some good points to think about!

some gripes that i've had with the new design:
  • i also made the mistake of purchasing the scenes and thinking that i could apply it to all my dragons, and not just one
  • i also don't like how the apparel section is the first thing i see. it's as if my dragon is being smothered by the apparel section and the familiar.
  • i'm not a fan of the buttons in the middle row (customize, feed, breed, bond and change familiar). they just feel clunky.
  • i'm not a fan of the battle info being shown on the page. most of my dragons aren't for the coliseum so it feels weird seeing it. besides, i can already see that info while in the coliseum, so i don't need to see it on their page
  • i don't like the dragon likes feature. i think it'll make me feel anxious and/or sad if i see my dragons getting 0 likes and someone else's dragons getting 50+ likes.
DmRdZYl.png
[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/5c705334da55de471b872201029e3d10/a4de3025f7705ba7-07/s2048x3072/9ab9bc3482872c82f5deacab4f37a32175653933.png[/img] i made a very terrible mockup that takes away some of my gripes about the scenic mode, theres now a simple button to switch between ur regular lair and the scenic view, like the hibden and ur dragons name and id is still visible. removed the fade to white too! not sure about the rounded top edge but i like this better for the most part?
9ab9bc3482872c82f5deacab4f37a32175653933.png

i made a very terrible mockup that takes away some of my gripes about the scenic mode, theres now a simple button to switch between ur regular lair and the scenic view, like the hibden and ur dragons name and id is still visible. removed the fade to white too! not sure about the rounded top edge but i like this better for the most part?
owleics.gif
I feel much the same way. I love the addition of scenes, but from a design perspectives the profiles now look a lot more disorganized, disjointed and more annoying to navigate :/
I feel much the same way. I love the addition of scenes, but from a design perspectives the profiles now look a lot more disorganized, disjointed and more annoying to navigate :/
Wishful list of stuff
I'm always willing to trade for

WE DO NOT HATCH EGGS IN THIS LAIR NOT EVER (BUT OPENING CHESTS FEELS SO GOOD) AND ALSO WE LOVE CATS SO MUCH
(She/Her)
skycatpixels1.png
I literally agree with everything you've said here. If staff were half as good fixing the site as they are ruining it then FR would be a lot more enjoyable. They could have easily just tweaked the profiles a bit to allow scenes, familiar naming and vistas instead of changing everything. I think having drop boxes to allow if you wanted to see the battle builds or whatever would have been better.

Everything is so haphazardly places it's just.. bad.

Edit: Did they seriously remove the forward and back button tabs on the profiles that let you move to the next dragon? They aren't on mobile now
I literally agree with everything you've said here. If staff were half as good fixing the site as they are ruining it then FR would be a lot more enjoyable. They could have easily just tweaked the profiles a bit to allow scenes, familiar naming and vistas instead of changing everything. I think having drop boxes to allow if you wanted to see the battle builds or whatever would have been better.

Everything is so haphazardly places it's just.. bad.

Edit: Did they seriously remove the forward and back button tabs on the profiles that let you move to the next dragon? They aren't on mobile now
I'm very blunt and straightforward.
Yes, I never use any vistas.

For ease of access: She/Her.

Also I hoard the hyena familiars.
Not a graphic designer, but I'm hoping to become one :>
Designing the top of the page with minimalism in mind would be the best way to go. As of now, there are way too many buttons and things everywhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates how the apparel was placed- is it really necessary to have those ugly dotted squares? And players want to see their dragons first, not a list of the apparel they are wearing, so it doesn't make sense to put the apparel in a list on the left. I much preferred how it was handled in the old layout, with it having its own separate window down below. For this new update, I would have liked if a dedicated box for apparel, skins and scenes were placed just under the customize/breed/feed/bond buttons and above the stats.

I strongly agree that scenes should work like vistas. The fun of this website mostly comes from its customization. So it's ridiculous that you have to spend 50kt/200g just for a background that you can only apply to one dragon. That's so expensive! I'd be totally fine with the price if they worked like vistas, but for now, a more sensible price would be around 10kt/15-20g(I'm not the best at pricing things but that's a guess).

I'm stuck on the fence about liking the update. I love the ideas, but it definitely needs a few tweaks.
Not a graphic designer, but I'm hoping to become one :>
Designing the top of the page with minimalism in mind would be the best way to go. As of now, there are way too many buttons and things everywhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates how the apparel was placed- is it really necessary to have those ugly dotted squares? And players want to see their dragons first, not a list of the apparel they are wearing, so it doesn't make sense to put the apparel in a list on the left. I much preferred how it was handled in the old layout, with it having its own separate window down below. For this new update, I would have liked if a dedicated box for apparel, skins and scenes were placed just under the customize/breed/feed/bond buttons and above the stats.

I strongly agree that scenes should work like vistas. The fun of this website mostly comes from its customization. So it's ridiculous that you have to spend 50kt/200g just for a background that you can only apply to one dragon. That's so expensive! I'd be totally fine with the price if they worked like vistas, but for now, a more sensible price would be around 10kt/15-20g(I'm not the best at pricing things but that's a guess).

I'm stuck on the fence about liking the update. I love the ideas, but it definitely needs a few tweaks.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
I'll be honest, the worst part for me is the change to the actual 'edit' mode of the dragon bios. They've changed the font or the size of it or something, and it's honestly giving me eye-strain and just making the experience of editing my dragons' bios unpleasant.
I'll be honest, the worst part for me is the change to the actual 'edit' mode of the dragon bios. They've changed the font or the size of it or something, and it's honestly giving me eye-strain and just making the experience of editing my dragons' bios unpleasant.
Lore
Hatchery
Dream Dragons
bepadepadept line long line short boop bepepepep
VPsWmjb.gif
[quote name="LaskaEira" date="2020-06-08 08:33:39" ] The page looks like it's in an edit mode constantly now. I'm not a web developer or graphic designer but it's so messy. I really like Sienne's edit to the layout. It's so much cleaner! [/quote] That's exactly what I thought too. I am definitely not a fan of having empty Apparel squares be so prominent at the top. A combination of that and the large clunky buttons make the page feel cluttered and unfinished.
LaskaEira wrote on 2020-06-08 08:33:39:
The page looks like it's in an edit mode constantly now. I'm not a web developer or graphic designer but it's so messy. I really like Sienne's edit to the layout. It's so much cleaner!
That's exactly what I thought too. I am definitely not a fan of having empty Apparel squares be so prominent at the top. A combination of that and the large clunky buttons make the page feel cluttered and unfinished.
tumblr_inline_njviw527Mu1qg2i5p.png
I'd really just like the basic dragon info to be where the apparel currently is and for the apparel, battle stats and lineage to be a dropdown menu type section.

The whole thing also looks very crisp and clean and clinical, like all my dragons are now in a laboratory.

The buttons also seem rather large, it'd be nice if text and button size (medium or large) was something a user could switch between in account settings so those of us who don't need huge buttons or to see our dragons ID number from across the room don't have to.

Overall though I do like where they're going with this update.
I'd really just like the basic dragon info to be where the apparel currently is and for the apparel, battle stats and lineage to be a dropdown menu type section.

The whole thing also looks very crisp and clean and clinical, like all my dragons are now in a laboratory.

The buttons also seem rather large, it'd be nice if text and button size (medium or large) was something a user could switch between in account settings so those of us who don't need huge buttons or to see our dragons ID number from across the room don't have to.

Overall though I do like where they're going with this update.
Plaguether-naumachy-fr-sig.png
What do you think of making coli builds a hover popup? Like having a "Coliseum build" text below genes/colors that when hovered over would show the build. Because... I honestly do not feel like we need to see the build of every dragon. Next to nobody has a lair full of level 25s, and coli builds are definitely not anywhere near as important than genes/colors. I've seen a lot of people saying now they feel like they have to level all their dragons up.

Edit: A friend mentioned the idea of collapsible tabs instead so you could still easily access tooltips for the stones and stats. I like that even better ngl
What do you think of making coli builds a hover popup? Like having a "Coliseum build" text below genes/colors that when hovered over would show the build. Because... I honestly do not feel like we need to see the build of every dragon. Next to nobody has a lair full of level 25s, and coli builds are definitely not anywhere near as important than genes/colors. I've seen a lot of people saying now they feel like they have to level all their dragons up.

Edit: A friend mentioned the idea of collapsible tabs instead so you could still easily access tooltips for the stones and stats. I like that even better ngl
a1f80d3732a26eb2d3a0a0fc3cb161fa078301cd.png
Fletcher/ Kin | FR+1:00
any pronouns

Hatchery || Playlist Shop
Wishlist || IG
I honestly wish there was a way to toggle off the battle stat window. i have only 3 coliseum dragons (my only team) and it irritates me a lot that the coli stats..are so obvious? Visible? Not sure, how to phrase it.

I guess it's good for people who sell leveled dragons, but, again, all I wish is that this could be toggled off, not removed completely, ya feel me?
I honestly wish there was a way to toggle off the battle stat window. i have only 3 coliseum dragons (my only team) and it irritates me a lot that the coli stats..are so obvious? Visible? Not sure, how to phrase it.

I guess it's good for people who sell leveled dragons, but, again, all I wish is that this could be toggled off, not removed completely, ya feel me?
6655fe4067bf8ca45637cdd30867f01d0c1e2466.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8