Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Update From a Graphic Design Opinion
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
As someone who loves apparel, to the point where I don't even get Ancient breeds because they can't wear apparel, I have to 100% agree with the opinion that the apparel slots are in a terrible location and the empty boxes are very off-putting.

There are some lovely dragons and lairs out there that don't want to use apparel, and highlighting those empty boxes seems like a negative thing, that they haven't 'achieved' or 'completed' that part of the site's design when it is supposed to be an entirely optional type of play.

Same with skin/scene being an empty box right next to the dragon's image. It just feels like there's something "incomplete" about my dragon's page when I look and see those dotted lines right next to my dragon.
As someone who loves apparel, to the point where I don't even get Ancient breeds because they can't wear apparel, I have to 100% agree with the opinion that the apparel slots are in a terrible location and the empty boxes are very off-putting.

There are some lovely dragons and lairs out there that don't want to use apparel, and highlighting those empty boxes seems like a negative thing, that they haven't 'achieved' or 'completed' that part of the site's design when it is supposed to be an entirely optional type of play.

Same with skin/scene being an empty box right next to the dragon's image. It just feels like there's something "incomplete" about my dragon's page when I look and see those dotted lines right next to my dragon.
hk0zK67.gif
Buttons, buttons, too many freakin' buttons. Staff took a handful of buttons and just... tossed 'em down, it seems.
Buttons, buttons, too many freakin' buttons. Staff took a handful of buttons and just... tossed 'em down, it seems.
[quote name="arboribus" date="2020-06-08 11:49:25" ] Something changed about the background of the dragon bio textbox as well, I think it has some sort of gradient now? It's completely ruined so much of my bio coding and graphics, which is honestly devastating. It almost looks more like some business website design instead of a dragon game [/quote] Yeah I checked against a white-background piece of art I have in one of my bios, and there’s a gradient that gets slightly darker as you scroll down Edit: [quote name="GrandKarkistIon" date="2020-06-08 12:11:45" ] Buttons, buttons, too many freakin' buttons. Staff took a handful of buttons and just... tossed 'em down, it seems. [/quote] And all of this. I hate all the buttons everywhere
arboribus wrote on 2020-06-08 11:49:25:
Something changed about the background of the dragon bio textbox as well, I think it has some sort of gradient now? It's completely ruined so much of my bio coding and graphics, which is honestly devastating. It almost looks more like some business website design instead of a dragon game

Yeah I checked against a white-background piece of art I have in one of my bios, and there’s a gradient that gets slightly darker as you scroll down

Edit:
GrandKarkistIon wrote on 2020-06-08 12:11:45:
And all of this. I hate all the buttons everywhere
sBdLZtA.png
Not just buttons, it's everything, just seems to be floating everywhere where as before it was all in neat boxes
Not just buttons, it's everything, just seems to be floating everywhere where as before it was all in neat boxes
Meal Moth .....
- Arby
- He/Him
- FR+0
- Wishlist

real question though what is the admins' obsession with gradients?
Like we have a gradient in the lineage box? gradient in the bio???? WHy?????
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
Edit: Forgot to say that I agree with OP's first post. I'm angry and I'm sad, and I'm disappointed. This is not what I wanted. Change is hard to get used to, true, but this really to me feels like trying to change things just for the sake of changing them. It feels like they took the saying "Don't fix it if it's not broken" and tossed it in the trash. I understand everything was done with good intentions, but I just don't like it. This is from the "thoughts on the updates?" thread: [quote=Dewberry]Thanks! I hate it! And, yes, I am salty. I expected something else for the anniversary and instead this is what I got. I must admit I typically don't participate in the FRD forum (though I often lurk about) or the Suggestions forum, so maybe I missed it, but was this actually something people asked for? I understand that they are working on the site code and updating things as they go, but to me this felt like change just for the sake of change. My [b]personal[/b] reasons for disliking this update: [LIST=1][*]The dragon should be the first thing I see when I open its page. Instead my eye is drawn to the apparel (or empty apparel slots). I don't care for this information. The apparel is obviously there on the dragon. I don't need the icons next to it. It's rare that I ever bother to check what item a dragon is wearing. Most of the time I just think how it's cool and move on. I want the dragon be the first thing I notice. [*]What's with all the buttons everywhere? It feels cluttered to the point I got a headache when I first viewed my custom progenitor's page after the update was done. [*] I shouldn't have to scroll to see the dragon's information. That's the number one thing I am interested when I click on a dragon. What colours and genes they have. [*]I don't like the familiar being so prominent. It's nice for people who are into lore, but I am not one of them. For me familiars are just another site mechanic to make some extra money from chests. I don't care to see them on my dragons' pages and I don't care to name them. The fact that even if I remove it an empty box stays in its place is like a kick to the groin. [u]Can't get rid of it even in Scenic mode.[/u] [Edit: According to others. I have not checking this out yet, but as the familiar is visible in Scenic mode it makes sense to me that the empty box would be as well.] [*]The Coliseum stone stats are nice to have, but how often do you look for that information? When buying level 25s? And how often do you do that? Honestly, I would have preferred if they would have altered the previous layout, by adding a toggle somewhere to view what stones the dragon has. That way I could hide that information. Why is it above the dragon's biography/information? That seems more important and more useful than the stone information which to me seems like a rather niche thing. [*]I am mildly annoyed by the different ways of separating things - the top third of the page has no vertical separators, everything seems like one big amalgamation, then the Physical Info, Battle Info, and Lineage part is separated by horizontal lines, and then Biography is boxed in. I wouldn't be annoyed by it if everything else was great, but right now it just feels like an over-ripe cherry on top of an over-baked cake.[/LIST] To me this whole update felt like trying to fix something that was never broken. Being able to name familiars? That could have been added to the existing layout. Scenes? Could have been added to the previous layout as well with some minor tweaking. Coli stats? Yeah, could have been hidden behind a toggle or something. Now for those who like this update, I'm happy for you. I just hope you understand that just as you can be happy about it, others can be dissatisfied.[/quote] Probably could have worded it a bit nicer, but it's late and I have a headache and I needed to get it off my chest otherwise I might spend the night mulling it over and over in my head.
Edit: Forgot to say that I agree with OP's first post.

I'm angry and I'm sad, and I'm disappointed. This is not what I wanted. Change is hard to get used to, true, but this really to me feels like trying to change things just for the sake of changing them. It feels like they took the saying "Don't fix it if it's not broken" and tossed it in the trash. I understand everything was done with good intentions, but I just don't like it.

This is from the "thoughts on the updates?" thread:
Dewberry wrote:
Thanks! I hate it! And, yes, I am salty. I expected something else for the anniversary and instead this is what I got. I must admit I typically don't participate in the FRD forum (though I often lurk about) or the Suggestions forum, so maybe I missed it, but was this actually something people asked for? I understand that they are working on the site code and updating things as they go, but to me this felt like change just for the sake of change.

My personal reasons for disliking this update:
  1. The dragon should be the first thing I see when I open its page. Instead my eye is drawn to the apparel (or empty apparel slots). I don't care for this information. The apparel is obviously there on the dragon. I don't need the icons next to it. It's rare that I ever bother to check what item a dragon is wearing. Most of the time I just think how it's cool and move on. I want the dragon be the first thing I notice.
  2. What's with all the buttons everywhere? It feels cluttered to the point I got a headache when I first viewed my custom progenitor's page after the update was done.
  3. I shouldn't have to scroll to see the dragon's information. That's the number one thing I am interested when I click on a dragon. What colours and genes they have.
  4. I don't like the familiar being so prominent. It's nice for people who are into lore, but I am not one of them. For me familiars are just another site mechanic to make some extra money from chests. I don't care to see them on my dragons' pages and I don't care to name them. The fact that even if I remove it an empty box stays in its place is like a kick to the groin. Can't get rid of it even in Scenic mode. [Edit: According to others. I have not checking this out yet, but as the familiar is visible in Scenic mode it makes sense to me that the empty box would be as well.]
  5. The Coliseum stone stats are nice to have, but how often do you look for that information? When buying level 25s? And how often do you do that? Honestly, I would have preferred if they would have altered the previous layout, by adding a toggle somewhere to view what stones the dragon has. That way I could hide that information. Why is it above the dragon's biography/information? That seems more important and more useful than the stone information which to me seems like a rather niche thing.
  6. I am mildly annoyed by the different ways of separating things - the top third of the page has no vertical separators, everything seems like one big amalgamation, then the Physical Info, Battle Info, and Lineage part is separated by horizontal lines, and then Biography is boxed in. I wouldn't be annoyed by it if everything else was great, but right now it just feels like an over-ripe cherry on top of an over-baked cake.

To me this whole update felt like trying to fix something that was never broken. Being able to name familiars? That could have been added to the existing layout. Scenes? Could have been added to the previous layout as well with some minor tweaking. Coli stats? Yeah, could have been hidden behind a toggle or something.

Now for those who like this update, I'm happy for you. I just hope you understand that just as you can be happy about it, others can be dissatisfied.

Probably could have worded it a bit nicer, but it's late and I have a headache and I needed to get it off my chest otherwise I might spend the night mulling it over and over in my head.
H5wuRUy.png
From my rotting body,
flowers shall grow
and I am in them,
and that is eternity.
- Edvard Munch
Bioluminescent
@Amayai and @Celeana these are absolutely gorgeous- definitely better than the 5 minute mashup between the original and the new that i made.
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
5hF3FGk.png
xj6Mn2e.png
dux0Iq9.pngNk21WD8.pngdMSBs9b.pngxpE8Cc3.pngwTBPG5s.pngK3S42IV.pngFtaMYkJ.pngH4wPhGw.png
@dewberry yes, 100% I agree with you. although as a lore lair myself, i do enjoy matching familiars to dragons- be it for lore or identical colors, but not so much that it needed a revamp.

and honestly? as much as feedback to developers should be "nice", it's okay for charged emotions too-
just as long as there's no verbal harassment (something all too common is the i hate this change it featuring various assaults on the entire staff that worked on it) its clear to me that you understand the work and effort that was put in and are respectfully voicing your concerns.

tldr; its important for developers to know people are angry, sad, frustrated- my first gut reaction was "im going to sell everything and then trade in gems for art and leave"
@dewberry yes, 100% I agree with you. although as a lore lair myself, i do enjoy matching familiars to dragons- be it for lore or identical colors, but not so much that it needed a revamp.

and honestly? as much as feedback to developers should be "nice", it's okay for charged emotions too-
just as long as there's no verbal harassment (something all too common is the i hate this change it featuring various assaults on the entire staff that worked on it) its clear to me that you understand the work and effort that was put in and are respectfully voicing your concerns.

tldr; its important for developers to know people are angry, sad, frustrated- my first gut reaction was "im going to sell everything and then trade in gems for art and leave"
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
5hF3FGk.png
xj6Mn2e.png
dux0Iq9.pngNk21WD8.pngdMSBs9b.pngxpE8Cc3.pngwTBPG5s.pngK3S42IV.pngFtaMYkJ.pngH4wPhGw.png
[quote name="Sorel" date="2020-06-08 08:27:38" ] Isn't the photoshopped proposal just the old layout with Background added? I mean I wish the apparel box was somewhere else too but the proposed changes you drew out isn't even what I'd call an update, it's just a slight modification. [/quote] @sorel lmao yeah it is- just a 2 second mockup of a compromise i made before immediately falling asleep that i think would be alright. additionally, thinking about it, scenes could go into the apparel/skin menu, just like before. the need for a complete overhaul is still unnecessary imo. also later in the thread i think on page 3 or 4 there are some really nice, much better, mockups.
Sorel wrote on 2020-06-08 08:27:38:
Isn't the photoshopped proposal just the old layout with Background added? I mean I wish the apparel box was somewhere else too but the proposed changes you drew out isn't even what I'd call an update, it's just a slight modification.
@sorel
lmao yeah it is- just a 2 second mockup of a compromise i made before immediately falling asleep that i think would be alright. additionally, thinking about it, scenes could go into the apparel/skin menu, just like before. the need for a complete overhaul is still unnecessary imo.

also later in the thread i think on page 3 or 4 there are some really nice, much better, mockups.
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
5hF3FGk.png
xj6Mn2e.png
[quote name="SkekMal" date="2020-06-08 12:26:40" ] real question though what is the admins' obsession with gradients? Like we have a gradient in the lineage box? gradient in the bio???? WHy????? [/quote] @skekmal do we? oh god we do- i didn't even realize it but that clashes so bad against the relatively warm tones of flight rising. the shadows even on the forum posts are a tanish color, matching the tan, yellow lighter tan, etc color scheme. having a cold grey gradient is really bad.
SkekMal wrote on 2020-06-08 12:26:40:
@skekmal

do we? oh god we do- i didn't even realize it but that clashes so bad against the relatively warm tones of flight rising. the shadows even on the forum posts are a tanish color, matching the tan, yellow lighter tan, etc color scheme. having a cold grey gradient is really bad.
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
5hF3FGk.png
xj6Mn2e.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8