Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Update From a Graphic Design Opinion
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
this this this all of this yes

I am so so bothered by the sizes of the buttons. I get that they're trying to make things easier for mobile users (if thats even the intention??) but it makes the desktop version of the site look so clunky

I am so so bothered by the sizes of the buttons. I get that they're trying to make things easier for mobile users (if thats even the intention??) but it makes the desktop version of the site look so clunky
37adqBC.png
[quote name="reaperbird" date="2020-06-08 09:40:58" ] this this this all of this yes I am so so bothered by the sizes of the buttons. I get that they're trying to make things easier for mobile users (if thats even the intention??) but it makes the desktop version of the site look so clunky [/quote] Definitely clunky. Hopefully, this feedback and all of the other suggestions will change things.
reaperbird wrote on 2020-06-08 09:40:58:

Definitely clunky. Hopefully, this feedback and all of the other suggestions will change things.
1rMtjlm.png
I won’t lie, I think the new page layouts are horribly formatted. The first thing you see are apparel icons, there’s no more compartments so it all just blends into one big cluster of info that isn’t even really useful (energy bar for example). The lineage is fighting with a whole coli spreadsheet for attention. It now takes at least two button clicks to change apparel or skins where it used to take only one.

The only positives are the new art (though many need adjustments because the dragons feet hangs off the line), the ability to bring a dragon straight to the scrying workshop, and the ability to selectively feed dragons

Overall I don’t enjoy the new scattered layout
I won’t lie, I think the new page layouts are horribly formatted. The first thing you see are apparel icons, there’s no more compartments so it all just blends into one big cluster of info that isn’t even really useful (energy bar for example). The lineage is fighting with a whole coli spreadsheet for attention. It now takes at least two button clicks to change apparel or skins where it used to take only one.

The only positives are the new art (though many need adjustments because the dragons feet hangs off the line), the ability to bring a dragon straight to the scrying workshop, and the ability to selectively feed dragons

Overall I don’t enjoy the new scattered layout
sBdLZtA.png
I wish likes feature was implemented to forum posts instead, because I would like this post a billion times. Also, does FR has night vision toggle? I feel like it should have one by now, considering how much brighter the dragon profile currently. [quote name="reaperbird" date="2020-06-08 09:40:58" ] this this this all of this yes I am so so bothered by the sizes of the buttons. I get that they're trying to make things easier for mobile users (if thats even the intention??) but it makes the desktop version of the site look so clunky [/quote] I'm on mobile, and it also feels clunky. A slightly bigger button should have done the job better, no need for a complete overhaul.
I wish likes feature was implemented to forum posts instead, because I would like this post a billion times.

Also, does FR has night vision toggle? I feel like it should have one by now, considering how much brighter the dragon profile currently.
reaperbird wrote on 2020-06-08 09:40:58:

I'm on mobile, and it also feels clunky. A slightly bigger button should have done the job better, no need for a complete overhaul.
e10a1f33e7075ac100a125c7b6d8669ed9be689c.png

DeviantArt ~ Doodle Dump ~ Art Shop
I would LOVE a default scenic mode. The page is...so busy now. As a lore writer, I don't necessarily care if my apparel, skins, lineage, battle info is directly visible.

An option to have a "Lore Mode" type of setting where it's just the dragon, the familiar, and their bio, and everything else in a collapsable menu would be lovely.

ETA:
I'm also a familiar collector, and the bonding process takes way longer now. When I hit max loyalty, swapping to a new one is slower, and the pages load slower as well. It's not the end of the world, but this is an aspect that was made more inconvenient with the update (but I do like it on the whole)
I would LOVE a default scenic mode. The page is...so busy now. As a lore writer, I don't necessarily care if my apparel, skins, lineage, battle info is directly visible.

An option to have a "Lore Mode" type of setting where it's just the dragon, the familiar, and their bio, and everything else in a collapsable menu would be lovely.

ETA:
I'm also a familiar collector, and the bonding process takes way longer now. When I hit max loyalty, swapping to a new one is slower, and the pages load slower as well. It's not the end of the world, but this is an aspect that was made more inconvenient with the update (but I do like it on the whole)
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
I commented on the suggestions post about this, and I'm gonna quote it here: [quote name="EarthTiger" date="2020-06-08 09:46:59" ] I'm no graphic designer by any means, but I was so jarred to see the change. It's just so incredibly drastic, and not in a good way. The buttons are messy, and I especially dislike how the apparel, skin, and scene are right beside the dragon. It just looks ugly - what's the point of having scenes, when you can't see them behind boxes? I dislike having the familiars right beside the dragon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most people have familiars just to bond with them, not for lore or anything important to the dragon. So, to look at a dragon - like my avatar for example - with their bluish tones and scenes, but then have a bright golden brown gryphlet right beside her... it's ugly. Believe it or not, I don't keep familiars for lore or to be matchy. I keep them to bond with them (and in the case of Ancients, to keep them from appearing as an option for sale when they don't have skins and can't wear apparel). I wish there was at least an option to 'hide' the familiar or move it down the page. Honestly, if they're going with this broad, landscape look for the dragon profiles, having almost anything next to the dragon is jarring. QueenAltari's second mockup is probably the only way I would like this update, as the information boxes don't take away from the dragon (or the scenes) like the apparel/scene/skin boxes and familiars do. I also don't understand the point of the Customize button??? We already have buttons on the dragon's main page to change the familiar/apparel/skins/scenes/vista, why also have another button that leads to a page with just those options again??? It's like they put the Customize button there just to fill a void! Some other things I dislike about this update are actually involved with my favourite part - the scenes. They say they have the scenes opaque by default to make text stand out and still be readable, but that wouldn't be a problem if the familiar/apparel/etc [b]weren't up directly beside the dragon[/b], or if they had just used boxes like in QueenAltari's second mockup idea. I hate the opaque background. It's better than nothing, but I want to [b][u]see the art[/u][/b] in it's full opacity all the time, and not have to select some 'scenic view' button that doesn't even keep the dragon's profile looking that way. It's just... to look at randomly, or to save the image if you wanted to. Just make the scene at full opacity, and move stuff around to make it so you never had to worry about text visibility in the first place! My other issue with scenes is that they don't show up with your avatar. One of the biggest reasons I wanted scenes at all was to get rid of the ugly white box most dragons have with the avatar, which is really jarring when using a vista. It would have been especially useful for Ancients, who can't wear apparel like halos to try and fill in that ugly white void. I was beyond disappointed that scenes don't show up with the avatar dragon. It ruins part of the excitement I had about dragon scenes in the first place. [b]So, my tl;dr is basically that I agree with everything cosmacy has said, and I love QueenAltari's second mockup image.[/b] I don't expect these changes though... I honestly don't think they're going to want to change what they've done, even if the majority of the site wanted it (not anytime soon, anyway). Which kind of destroys the excitement I had about today. They completely ruined the dragon profiles by trying to fix something that was never broken in the first place. [/quote]
I commented on the suggestions post about this, and I'm gonna quote it here:
EarthTiger wrote on 2020-06-08 09:46:59:
I'm no graphic designer by any means, but I was so jarred to see the change. It's just so incredibly drastic, and not in a good way.

The buttons are messy, and I especially dislike how the apparel, skin, and scene are right beside the dragon. It just looks ugly - what's the point of having scenes, when you can't see them behind boxes?

I dislike having the familiars right beside the dragon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most people have familiars just to bond with them, not for lore or anything important to the dragon. So, to look at a dragon - like my avatar for example - with their bluish tones and scenes, but then have a bright golden brown gryphlet right beside her... it's ugly. Believe it or not, I don't keep familiars for lore or to be matchy. I keep them to bond with them (and in the case of Ancients, to keep them from appearing as an option for sale when they don't have skins and can't wear apparel). I wish there was at least an option to 'hide' the familiar or move it down the page.

Honestly, if they're going with this broad, landscape look for the dragon profiles, having almost anything next to the dragon is jarring. QueenAltari's second mockup is probably the only way I would like this update, as the information boxes don't take away from the dragon (or the scenes) like the apparel/scene/skin boxes and familiars do.

I also don't understand the point of the Customize button??? We already have buttons on the dragon's main page to change the familiar/apparel/skins/scenes/vista, why also have another button that leads to a page with just those options again??? It's like they put the Customize button there just to fill a void!

Some other things I dislike about this update are actually involved with my favourite part - the scenes. They say they have the scenes opaque by default to make text stand out and still be readable, but that wouldn't be a problem if the familiar/apparel/etc weren't up directly beside the dragon, or if they had just used boxes like in QueenAltari's second mockup idea. I hate the opaque background. It's better than nothing, but I want to see the art in it's full opacity all the time, and not have to select some 'scenic view' button that doesn't even keep the dragon's profile looking that way. It's just... to look at randomly, or to save the image if you wanted to. Just make the scene at full opacity, and move stuff around to make it so you never had to worry about text visibility in the first place!

My other issue with scenes is that they don't show up with your avatar. One of the biggest reasons I wanted scenes at all was to get rid of the ugly white box most dragons have with the avatar, which is really jarring when using a vista. It would have been especially useful for Ancients, who can't wear apparel like halos to try and fill in that ugly white void. I was beyond disappointed that scenes don't show up with the avatar dragon. It ruins part of the excitement I had about dragon scenes in the first place.

So, my tl;dr is basically that I agree with everything cosmacy has said, and I love QueenAltari's second mockup image.

I don't expect these changes though... I honestly don't think they're going to want to change what they've done, even if the majority of the site wanted it (not anytime soon, anyway). Which kind of destroys the excitement I had about today. They completely ruined the dragon profiles by trying to fix something that was never broken in the first place.
1uCNaW7.pngTTTUSP9.pngueG66KW.pngxjP79Zx.pngO0Pbuvo.png
@cosmacy [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/604397461611741194/719598938768015460/suggest.png[/img] I spent more time than I responsably should on this But come on tell me this wouldn't look good if only apparel and info switched places Update: [quote name="Celeana" date="2020-06-08 10:25:12" ] [img]https://i.imgur.com/HqauZtI.png[/img] [/quote] Celeana's layout [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2870775]here[/url] is it. That's the fix.
@cosmacy
suggest.png

I spent more time than I responsably should on this
But come on tell me this wouldn't look good if only apparel and info switched places

Update:
Celeana wrote on 2020-06-08 10:25:12:
HqauZtI.png

Celeana's layout here is it. That's the fix.
JxXWPTT.png
Coli guide
_ BjzISWz.png
FR Goals
_ 9gI0bgp.png
Art shop
_ Undying-Featherback.png
Lair map
_ Rat-King.png
Pixels
_ 4bPVjcz.png
Site
_ Venomous-Toridae.png
BBCode guide
_ WAYSTONECROPPED.gif
if i may give my own opinion as someone who isn't a professional, while i like some of what this update does to the UI, i agree, it looks far too cluttered. some things i personally think would improve it, based on my own criticism and your (very informative) insight:
  • physical info should be up on the same tier as the fam and the dragon.
  • dragon should be more leftward, with padding, remaining space on the right populated by fam and physical info (not in line, but stacked.)
  • buttons and bars should be boxed in (like the og info box)
  • similarly, 3 discrete boxes for the following section instead of the free floating segments
  • the padding on the info box should come back
  • i hadn't looked into how scenes work, and i'm not sure if i like or can accept them working like apparel. i think i'd prefer a system more akin to vistas personally.
ultimately i think the thing i like least is the visual priority given to apparel and the lack of separation between elements. i think a lot of how disorganized it looks and feels is due to that in particular.
if i may give my own opinion as someone who isn't a professional, while i like some of what this update does to the UI, i agree, it looks far too cluttered. some things i personally think would improve it, based on my own criticism and your (very informative) insight:
  • physical info should be up on the same tier as the fam and the dragon.
  • dragon should be more leftward, with padding, remaining space on the right populated by fam and physical info (not in line, but stacked.)
  • buttons and bars should be boxed in (like the og info box)
  • similarly, 3 discrete boxes for the following section instead of the free floating segments
  • the padding on the info box should come back
  • i hadn't looked into how scenes work, and i'm not sure if i like or can accept them working like apparel. i think i'd prefer a system more akin to vistas personally.
ultimately i think the thing i like least is the visual priority given to apparel and the lack of separation between elements. i think a lot of how disorganized it looks and feels is due to that in particular.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
I don't hate it? But this update could have definitely used a bit more time in the workshop. Also I wish we could have had the map update for the anniversary rather than a bio revamp.

Every individual info tab could be collapsible, a default scenic option would be great, and they could do away completely with the dotted boxes where apparel/skins are. I don't mind the button placement, but again, they could be collapsible/smaller. I like that most everything I need is readily available from the dragon's page, especially the direct link to the scrying workshop. As someone who buys/hatches a lot of G1s that's much easier than having to copy pasta the dragon's ID and click through several pages just to scry them to see if I want to buy them or not.

I'll have to play around with this for a few more days before I make a final decision. Overall it's not the worst update, I just think it could have used a bit more work.
I don't hate it? But this update could have definitely used a bit more time in the workshop. Also I wish we could have had the map update for the anniversary rather than a bio revamp.

Every individual info tab could be collapsible, a default scenic option would be great, and they could do away completely with the dotted boxes where apparel/skins are. I don't mind the button placement, but again, they could be collapsible/smaller. I like that most everything I need is readily available from the dragon's page, especially the direct link to the scrying workshop. As someone who buys/hatches a lot of G1s that's much easier than having to copy pasta the dragon's ID and click through several pages just to scry them to see if I want to buy them or not.

I'll have to play around with this for a few more days before I make a final decision. Overall it's not the worst update, I just think it could have used a bit more work.
kPwiKAr.png mlHpBMC.png
PVehrz5.png
hLxdQZ3.png
» g1 addict
» skin n accent hoarder
» Nest Network 3.4
Not necessarily a comment on the new design but a thought provoked by it: It'd be pretty cool if the profiles were modular (a lot of people have already suggested toggle-ability but I'm thinking the ability to arrange it too like we can do in lairs)! All I'd really want visitors to see are the dragon, fam, genes, and occasionally bio/apparel, whereas others might want the battle info prioritised in a more prominent location/size, or everything to be hidden but the dragon+parentage when selling a g1. Coz everyone's suggesting vastly different mockups of their own needs for the page so I don't think there's a unified singular profile layout to suit everyone or even every dragon.

(Ofc it'd be unlikely to happen any time soon (or necessarily ever) since this new design only just went live but I always liked sites that had that freedom coz it opened up a whole lot of possibilities for creativity.)
Not necessarily a comment on the new design but a thought provoked by it: It'd be pretty cool if the profiles were modular (a lot of people have already suggested toggle-ability but I'm thinking the ability to arrange it too like we can do in lairs)! All I'd really want visitors to see are the dragon, fam, genes, and occasionally bio/apparel, whereas others might want the battle info prioritised in a more prominent location/size, or everything to be hidden but the dragon+parentage when selling a g1. Coz everyone's suggesting vastly different mockups of their own needs for the page so I don't think there's a unified singular profile layout to suit everyone or even every dragon.

(Ofc it'd be unlikely to happen any time soon (or necessarily ever) since this new design only just went live but I always liked sites that had that freedom coz it opened up a whole lot of possibilities for creativity.)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8