Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | Killers in the Clan (waitlist open!)
1 2 ... 408 409 410 411 412 ... 451 452
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/78828651][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/788287/78828651.png[/img][/url] [b]Acier[/b] Interacting: Camryn (@Starwindrider) Karthentr - if he decides to follow (@Cattington) --- “Indeed. May I propose we start by the town center?” Acier flicks his head towards the distant buildings, where some shrill voice was quickly building into a crescendo. His senses weren’t quite keen enough to make out the words, but he could catch snippets of “among us” and “attacked” and “how dare” alongside some childish screeching and rather creatively constructed death threats. It sounded like the same voice he’d heard last night, a fact both comforting and concerning. They were alive. Something [i]had[/i] happened. He was right. The Bargheist wasn’t the only time Acier had failed a task. Far from it. But it stood out in that it was his fault. He’d mistaken misdirection for an opening, and in so doing, doomed the village he had been charged to protect. He can see the echoes of that now, as his feet trod across the worn path. [i]One of them. [/i]No ghost, no spirit or specter. No hound, crying for blood in the night. No beast, no vampire, nothing but a normal dragon. He didn’t know where the mirrors lay, couldn’t sense the daggers at his feet. One wrong move. That’s all it would take to end this charade. If he made the wrong call they would all fall, just as before. Someone had nearly died last night, and what had he done? Gone to sleep like a normal dragon. He’d been so complacent. But it was clear to him now — a night vigil wouldn’t fix anything. He couldn’t stop the killer on his own, and no amount of candles or crosses would keep them at bay. His time was better spent hunting in the daylight, turning their own game against them. His time was better spent praying he could hit the right mark. “Camryn… may I confide in you? I’m afraid someone tried to take a life last night. I… don’t know how to stop it from happening again. I don’t know who to trust. No one’s been here but the members of this clan, I can’t do my job if I don’t know who to be wary of, and I can’t stop thinking… what if Sanctuary hired me for nothing? What if I can’t defend them?” --- Acier votes for [b]Acolyte[/b]
78828651.png
Acier
Interacting: Camryn (@Starwindrider) Karthentr - if he decides to follow (@Cattington)

---

“Indeed. May I propose we start by the town center?”
Acier flicks his head towards the distant buildings, where some shrill voice was quickly building into a crescendo. His senses weren’t quite keen enough to make out the words, but he could catch snippets of “among us” and “attacked” and “how dare” alongside some childish screeching and rather creatively constructed death threats. It sounded like the same voice he’d heard last night, a fact both comforting and concerning. They were alive. Something had happened.
He was right.

The Bargheist wasn’t the only time Acier had failed a task. Far from it. But it stood out in that it was his fault. He’d mistaken misdirection for an opening, and in so doing, doomed the village he had been charged to protect.
He can see the echoes of that now, as his feet trod across the worn path. One of them. No ghost, no spirit or specter. No hound, crying for blood in the night. No beast, no vampire, nothing but a normal dragon. He didn’t know where the mirrors lay, couldn’t sense the daggers at his feet. One wrong move. That’s all it would take to end this charade. If he made the wrong call they would all fall, just as before.
Someone had nearly died last night, and what had he done? Gone to sleep like a normal dragon. He’d been so complacent. But it was clear to him now — a night vigil wouldn’t fix anything.
He couldn’t stop the killer on his own, and no amount of candles or crosses would keep them at bay. His time was better spent hunting in the daylight, turning their own game against them.
His time was better spent praying he could hit the right mark.
“Camryn… may I confide in you? I’m afraid someone tried to take a life last night. I… don’t know how to stop it from happening again. I don’t know who to trust. No one’s been here but the members of this clan, I can’t do my job if I don’t know who to be wary of, and I can’t stop thinking… what if Sanctuary hired me for nothing? What if I can’t defend them?”

---

Acier votes for Acolyte
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66846820][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/668469/66846820.png[/img][/url] [color=#7926b2][b]ACOLYTE[/b][/color] [color=#4d2d89][size=2][i]He / Him[/i][/size] [color=#4d2d89][b]Interacting with:[/b] Arkon @Relics[/color][/center] ----- "...yes," Acolyte grimaced. "I must say that when I arrived yesterday I did not expect to see a giant sentient parasite... thing, someone exploding his own arm, someone stabbing someone else, a ghost, and what appears to be several blood mages all within the first five minutes." There was a pause. "...you get inured to it, I suppose." ----- Acolyte votes for [b]Necroma[/b]
66846820.png
ACOLYTE
He / Him
Interacting with: Arkon @Relics

"...yes," Acolyte grimaced. "I must say that when I arrived yesterday I did not expect to see a giant sentient parasite... thing, someone exploding his own arm, someone stabbing someone else, a ghost, and what appears to be several blood mages all within the first five minutes."

There was a pause.

"...you get inured to it, I suppose."
Acolyte votes for Necroma
mire hates me:(
FR +15, +16 during DST
She/Her
Gray Aroace
INTP
English 1st Language
Mandarin Chinese 2nd Language
French 3rd Language
AR60, 100% all released regions
It's... quite a disproportionate number
zia my beloved
I spent 2.4mil t on her, I think she counts
it hasn't been updated in a while but STILL
sweet holds the clan directory
kobi holds the lore directory
tumblr_p27o7vllRE1wvvm88o2_100.png
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/56216838][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/562169/56216838.png[/img][/url] [b][color=#780415]KARTHENTR.[/color][/b] INTERACTING WITH: Camryn (@Starwindrider), Acier (@nameofuser)[/center] [rule] The Gaoler follows, albeit at a distance. He doesn't hear whatever Acier is murmuring; rather, he once again gets lost in his own wandering thoughts, his gaze taking a leisurely path around the area. [i]Something[/i] had happened, even if he wasn't quite sure what. The old, corpse-scent of blood seemed to crawl down his spine from the tips of his jutting shards to the ends of his curled claws. He could feel his shaggy fur standing on end. Against his better judgment, he could feel himself clenching his jaw. Hungry. He needed blood. His claws felt devoid of their usual spark. ...But that can be worried about later. He'll probably hunt when it's less tense around here. Bloodmages aren't a "normal" thing, he reminds himself with a huff; being caught drinking blood could potentially be alarming to the others. Maybe. [rule] Karthentr votes for [b]Acier[/b]
56216838.png
KARTHENTR.
INTERACTING WITH: Camryn (@Starwindrider), Acier (@nameofuser)

The Gaoler follows, albeit at a distance. He doesn't hear whatever Acier is murmuring; rather, he once again gets lost in his own wandering thoughts, his gaze taking a leisurely path around the area.

Something had happened, even if he wasn't quite sure what. The old, corpse-scent of blood seemed to crawl down his spine from the tips of his jutting shards to the ends of his curled claws. He could feel his shaggy fur standing on end. Against his better judgment, he could feel himself clenching his jaw.

Hungry.

He needed blood. His claws felt devoid of their usual spark.

...But that can be worried about later. He'll probably hunt when it's less tense around here. Bloodmages aren't a "normal" thing, he reminds himself with a huff; being caught drinking blood could potentially be alarming to the others. Maybe.

Karthentr votes for Acier
scrying workshop save me....scrying workshop...save me scrying workshop
5hF3FGk.pngyGbxkXV.png
qeQwZlo.png5iXiC8z.pngmlHpBMC.png
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72803687][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/728037/72803687.png[/img][/url] [color= 008080][b]Aqua[/b] he/him interacting with: no one, near town square zone[/color][/center] When Aqua steps out of his safety-hut, he is blessedly relieved to see that, although this place is still a stinky wasteland of horrors, everything smells... bleachier. A little like chlorine. There are no new rotting corpses- something Scrack seems a little disappointed about, when she starts sniffing around- and it's clear that some of the dragons present and milling about are actually rather sanitary. This is [i]much[/i] better. Aqua's head is still on a swivel as he makes his way back into the town proper, though. Who knows where that wet meaty thing could be. .....It's right there. In the town square, scrabbling at some poor chump's door. At least it's distracted. Aqua tries to subtly gesture for Scrack to form up in front of him and play defense. She glances at his waving talons and then runs off to root around next to a hut. Aqua [i]sighs[/i], and picks the edge of town square not occupied by the... creature. He needs to find more clean food and water- he's not [i]dying[/i] or anything anymore, but it would still be nice to eat in peace. This time he has no intention of being transported in the arms of the meatsack, either. Just the [i]memory[/i] makes him grimace as he cautiously navigates the edge of the area. ----- Aqua votes for [b]Acolyte[/b].
72803687.png
Aqua
he/him
interacting with: no one, near town square zone
When Aqua steps out of his safety-hut, he is blessedly relieved to see that, although this place is still a stinky wasteland of horrors, everything smells... bleachier. A little like chlorine. There are no new rotting corpses- something Scrack seems a little disappointed about, when she starts sniffing around- and it's clear that some of the dragons present and milling about are actually rather sanitary.

This is much better.

Aqua's head is still on a swivel as he makes his way back into the town proper, though. Who knows where that wet meaty thing could be.

.....It's right there. In the town square, scrabbling at some poor chump's door.

At least it's distracted.

Aqua tries to subtly gesture for Scrack to form up in front of him and play defense. She glances at his waving talons and then runs off to root around next to a hut.

Aqua sighs, and picks the edge of town square not occupied by the... creature.

He needs to find more clean food and water- he's not dying or anything anymore, but it would still be nice to eat in peace. This time he has no intention of being transported in the arms of the meatsack, either.

Just the memory makes him grimace as he cautiously navigates the edge of the area.

Aqua votes for Acolyte.
e49ylni.png
P9pWXTH.png
p8qgXPn.gif
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=86272887][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/862729/86272887.png[/img][/url] [font=century gothic][size=5] Shade [emoji=crescent moon 1 size=1] any pronouns[/size] [size=4]interacting with: no one but mentions [b]Botulism[/b] (@WyvernTales), [b]Cinty[/b] (@TrueTerror)[/center] ----- [font=century gothic][size=4]To say they were terrified would still be an understatement. Well, terrified was probably their default state at this point - but Shade felt a sudden surge of primal fear so strong that they couldn't hold back a hiss, accompanied by more scratching on the wall. They were incomprehensible scribbles at the moment, which summarized the situation quite well for them. This Sandsurge was not to be trifled with. She was beyond scary. Shade was praying to any gods that would still listen to them that she would never find their little hideaway. But more importantly were the words that the meat-thing echoed - an attack. An attempted attack, a possible murderer lurking amidst the clan. That prospect alone left the ghostly figure paralyzed with fear - but now, seeing that it seemed to be reality...? As their sort-of friend wandered towards a hut while screaming about the attack, Shade wondered if this was a cruel joke. A sick prank by that Sandsurge in question. But they could sense the brimming anger from even so far away. It was hot, undiluted rage - it was as hard to fake as the same chilling fear they themself exuded at all times. That meant she wasn't lying. Someone was out for blood - a horror that they would have never wanted to witness, dead or alive. ----- [center][font=century gothic][size=5]Shade votes for [b]Acolyte[/b].[/center]
86272887.png

Shade any pronouns
interacting with: no one but mentions Botulism (@WyvernTales), Cinty (@TrueTerror)

To say they were terrified would still be an understatement.

Well, terrified was probably their default state at this point - but Shade felt a sudden surge of primal fear so strong that they couldn't hold back a hiss, accompanied by more scratching on the wall. They were incomprehensible scribbles at the moment, which summarized the situation quite well for them.

This Sandsurge was not to be trifled with. She was beyond scary. Shade was praying to any gods that would still listen to them that she would never find their little hideaway. But more importantly were the words that the meat-thing echoed - an attack. An attempted attack, a possible murderer lurking amidst the clan. That prospect alone left the ghostly figure paralyzed with fear - but now, seeing that it seemed to be reality...?

As their sort-of friend wandered towards a hut while screaming about the attack, Shade wondered if this was a cruel joke. A sick prank by that Sandsurge in question. But they could sense the brimming anger from even so far away. It was hot, undiluted rage - it was as hard to fake as the same chilling fear they themself exuded at all times. That meant she wasn't lying.

Someone was out for blood - a horror that they would have never wanted to witness, dead or alive.

Shade votes for Acolyte.
ytkEBod.png
FObX7rS.png
1WgaLgV.png
hWPjBUy.png
5hF3FGk.png
lAvpyOQ.png
37M5LiF.png
my name is essence, your local gay unicorn!
HHNwjaN.png
gFoIMov.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=5526909][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/55270/5526909.png[/img][/url] [color=#850012][b]C A M R Y N[/b][/color] [i]Any Pronouns[/i] Interacting with: Karthentr (@Cattington), Acier (@NameOfUser)[/center] ----- Camryn follows Karthentr and Acier. Her companion seems to be deep in thought, so they walk close to the Pearlcatcher, hoping to provide some reassurance with their presence. Both Acier and Karthentr have noticed something that happened the night before, which she had not. When Acier speaks, Camryn hears shadows of his previous journey weighing down his words. They put a comforting claw on Acier’s shoulder, and says after a moment, “You didn’t fail, Acier. Someone tried to kill, but they didn’t manage to. But that’s no sign of any incompetence on your part. I am sure Sanctuary was confident of your ability when hiring you and he still is, and for a good reason. Your eye for detail and determination have made many feel safe and I’m sure this time will be no different.” She pauses and takes in the sound of yelling from the distance. It seems that it is an urgent issue to be looked into. “We can start investigating and meeting some of the residents here. That would give us a better idea of who our suspects are. What do you think?” She glances at Acier. “Also, I think I have some power to spare. I can watch the night with you if you’d like.”
5526909.png
C A M R Y N
Any Pronouns

Interacting with: Karthentr (@Cattington), Acier (@NameOfUser)

Camryn follows Karthentr and Acier. Her companion seems to be deep in thought, so they walk close to the Pearlcatcher, hoping to provide some reassurance with their presence. Both Acier and Karthentr have noticed something that happened the night before, which she had not.

When Acier speaks, Camryn hears shadows of his previous journey weighing down his words. They put a comforting claw on Acier’s shoulder, and says after a moment, “You didn’t fail, Acier. Someone tried to kill, but they didn’t manage to. But that’s no sign of any incompetence on your part. I am sure Sanctuary was confident of your ability when hiring you and he still is, and for a good reason. Your eye for detail and determination have made many feel safe and I’m sure this time will be no different.”

She pauses and takes in the sound of yelling from the distance. It seems that it is an urgent issue to be looked into. “We can start investigating and meeting some of the residents here. That would give us a better idea of who our suspects are. What do you think?” She glances at Acier. “Also, I think I have some power to spare. I can watch the night with you if you’d like.”
xxxxx11291.png xxxxxxxxxxx star | she/her | fr +15
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxdisplay dragon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkillers in the clan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxfriend rising discord
[center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/905493/90549221.png[/img] The Warden Interacting with: Necroma @Peanutbuttergay [center] The Warden slept uncomfortably in his small hut. None of the people respected him and he never got any soda last night. He woke up and stumbled out into the burnt sun, to see a large amount of chaos, with all the dragons from last day scattered everywhere. The Sandsurge and the Coatl from yesterday, as well the disgusting meat thing. Yuck! He walked up the Coatl, uh Nacroma yeah that was his name. "What on earth happened here? Some kind of a ruckus? Tell me!" ----- [b]The Warden[/b] votes for [b]Acier[/b]
90549221.png

The Warden

Interacting with: Necroma @Peanutbuttergay

The Warden slept uncomfortably in his small hut. None of the people respected him and he never got any soda last night. He woke up and stumbled out into the burnt sun, to see a large amount of chaos, with all the dragons from last day scattered everywhere. The Sandsurge and the Coatl from yesterday, as well the disgusting meat thing. Yuck! He walked up the Coatl, uh Nacroma yeah that was his name.

"What on earth happened here? Some kind of a ruckus? Tell me!"

The Warden votes for Acier
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=72560621][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/725607/72560621.png[/img][/url] [color=#5C34E5][b]NECROMA[/b][/color] [i]He/Him[/i][/center] Interacting with: The Warden (@strangeflesh), open! ----- Necroma lost focus, disrupting the aura and whipping his head around to hear who was speaking to him. “What in the blazes- You!” He smiled, laughing nervously. “Oh! It is so good to see you alive and well, my friend! So good! Um..well..” He looked to the commotion, which was mostly just their leader screaming. “Yes well, it appears someone tried to..” The coatl dropped to a whisper. “..murder.. Someone in this clan! That dragon over there! Whose..name I don’t really know.” For a moment he pondered, then figured he just didn’t introduce himself and exchanged pleasantries with the dragon known as CINTY. “Now, the leader is saying we’re under attack, we’ve had some new arrivals and I was trying to perform a simple calming aura spell and it appears… I was unsuccessful. Ugh.” Either it didn’t work because everyone was strong willed, or the aura wasn’t big enough. “If he were here, I’d have about 10 lashings by now.”
72560621.png
NECROMA
He/Him

Interacting with: The Warden (@strangeflesh), open!

Necroma lost focus, disrupting the aura and whipping his head around to hear who was speaking to him.

“What in the blazes- You!” He smiled, laughing nervously. “Oh! It is so good to see you alive and well, my friend! So good! Um..well..”

He looked to the commotion, which was mostly just their leader screaming.

“Yes well, it appears someone tried to..” The coatl dropped to a whisper. “..murder.. Someone in this clan! That dragon over there! Whose..name I don’t really know.”

For a moment he pondered, then figured he just didn’t introduce himself and exchanged pleasantries with the dragon known as CINTY.

“Now, the leader is saying we’re under attack, we’ve had some new arrivals and I was trying to perform a simple calming aura spell and it appears… I was unsuccessful. Ugh.” Either it didn’t work because everyone was strong willed, or the aura wasn’t big enough. “If he were here, I’d have about 10 lashings by now.”
giphy.gif
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=90743645][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/907437/90743645.png[/img][/url] Waltzing past Camryn (@Starwindrider), Acier (@nameofuser), and Karthentr (@Cattington) [rule] Cinty hissed to herself as she marched back over the pockmarked ground, head held low and strong. Oh, what an absolute [i]fool![/i] As if she couldn't recognize such an easy trap. What did this amateur think was going to happen? She could've done a better job killing a dragon- no, she [i]had[/i] dome a better job. And even her slapshod murder of passion was more thought-out than [i]this.[/i] Acht, once she got her hands on this smooth-brained buffoon, they'd wish they'd finished the job. Or couldn't feel pain, because Cinty full-well intended to draw out her retribution for as long as possible. Good "research" was thorough and would satisfy all of Cinty's newest questions. As she thought about it more, the more she hungered for the experience. Yes, this would necessitate at [i]least[/i] two chapters of spilling her thoughts like blood in order to calm herself. She realized she'd been smiling inadvertently as she neared a cluster of three. Torture ideas always cheered her up. She raised her head and gave a polite, yet pointed nod to them as she passed. And then she paused. Cinty turned back around. Why walk past them? Who knows what wonderful things could be lying just beneath these dragons' scales (or metal plates, in the case of the one)? She waved remaining sparks away from her face by puffing out her frills just enough that dhe no longer looked like a murderous tea kettle and did an odd, dancing hop to join with the others. Or lag half a dozen paces behind and follow, like a creep. It was all the same to Cinty. From here, she could easily overhear anything she could possibly need to. Nib floated over with one of her notebooks as if it knew just what its master desired.
90743645.png

Waltzing past Camryn (@Starwindrider), Acier (@nameofuser), and Karthentr (@Cattington)

Cinty hissed to herself as she marched back over the pockmarked ground, head held low and strong. Oh, what an absolute fool! As if she couldn't recognize such an easy trap. What did this amateur think was going to happen? She could've done a better job killing a dragon- no, she had dome a better job. And even her slapshod murder of passion was more thought-out than this.

Acht, once she got her hands on this smooth-brained buffoon, they'd wish they'd finished the job. Or couldn't feel pain, because Cinty full-well intended to draw out her retribution for as long as possible. Good "research" was thorough and would satisfy all of Cinty's newest questions. As she thought about it more, the more she hungered for the experience. Yes, this would necessitate at least two chapters of spilling her thoughts like blood in order to calm herself.

She realized she'd been smiling inadvertently as she neared a cluster of three. Torture ideas always cheered her up. She raised her head and gave a polite, yet pointed nod to them as she passed. And then she paused. Cinty turned back around. Why walk past them? Who knows what wonderful things could be lying just beneath these dragons' scales (or metal plates, in the case of the one)?

She waved remaining sparks away from her face by puffing out her frills just enough that dhe no longer looked like a murderous tea kettle and did an odd, dancing hop to join with the others. Or lag half a dozen paces behind and follow, like a creep. It was all the same to Cinty. From here, she could easily overhear anything she could possibly need to. Nib floated over with one of her notebooks as if it knew just what its master desired.
Wishlist -->Untitled1133-20231107165239.png
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/78828651][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/788287/78828651.png[/img][/url] [b]Acier[/b] Interacting: Camryn (@Starwindrider) Karthentr (@Cattington) Cinty (@TrueTerror) --- The tension leaves Acier’s body as Camryn places a talon on his shoulder. Any other day, he’d prefer to stay on his own. But right now he feels so lost. For all his training, he’d never experienced something so dubious. He needed a friend, someone he could lean on. Someone worth trusting. Camryn might be only metal and electrical charges, but they’d known each other for so long. How many nights had they spent together? How many battles? Acier gently threads a hand over their metallic talon. His ears still droop with worry, but there’s a note of determination in his voice as he speaks. “Thank you. I-I would like that. Maybe we won’t accomplish anything, but the clan’s counting on me… I have to try.” A faint smile crosses his face as Acier untangles himself from the automaton’s arm. He turns to face them, gratitude equally matched with concern. “I’m glad you’re here, Camryn. I can think of no better dragon to tackle this with.” His eyes flit to the crimson Gaoler standing a couple feet away. [i]Why was he still following them?[/i] He reaches out with his magic, but before he can even touch the dragon he’s confronted with a familiar sensation that sets his hair on end. This was a fellow blood mage, but their magic was… different. Dangerous. This Gaoler could easily be a threat, but he seemed passive for now. Acier would keep an eye out, but given his own nature he wasn’t keen to judge someone off of their powers, no matter how corrupted. He nods at the Gaoler. “You’re welcome to come with, if you desire. Perhaps you can find something we would miss. Though, for all my stalking, I never actually caught your name. What are you called?” A few moments later, Acier finds himself in the town’s central plaza. If it could be called that. The dragon he’d heard last night is still there, though she seems to have quieted down slightly. If he had to guess, she’d been talking to Botulism, who was now scrambling around the clan, yelling about an attack. Maybe they’d talk later, but prime witnesses came first. “Excuse me,” he says as he approaches the Sandsurge. “I heard you saying something about an attack. Would you tell us what happened?” He offers a hand, casually slipping his magic beneath the dragon’s scales in hopes of catching a glimpse into her memories. Instead, he finds himself in a shadowy mind that seems to prod at him even as he threads around it. A grimace crosses his face for a split second, before returning to its previous expression. “I am Acier, monster hunter, and presently employed in the defense of this settlement. I apologize for not being there last night, but I swear I am going to do [i]everything[/i] in my power to secure the clan against future attacks.“ As the Sandsurge responds, Acier draws his magic deeper into her mind. If any impression of the scene crosses her thoughts, he’ll know.
78828651.png
Acier
Interacting: Camryn (@Starwindrider) Karthentr (@Cattington) Cinty (@TrueTerror)

---

The tension leaves Acier’s body as Camryn places a talon on his shoulder.
Any other day, he’d prefer to stay on his own. But right now he feels so lost. For all his training, he’d never experienced something so dubious. He needed a friend, someone he could lean on. Someone worth trusting. Camryn might be only metal and electrical charges, but they’d known each other for so long. How many nights had they spent together? How many battles?
Acier gently threads a hand over their metallic talon. His ears still droop with worry, but there’s a note of determination in his voice as he speaks.
“Thank you. I-I would like that. Maybe we won’t accomplish anything, but the clan’s counting on me… I have to try.”
A faint smile crosses his face as Acier untangles himself from the automaton’s arm. He turns to face them, gratitude equally matched with concern.
“I’m glad you’re here, Camryn. I can think of no better dragon to tackle this with.”
His eyes flit to the crimson Gaoler standing a couple feet away.
Why was he still following them?
He reaches out with his magic, but before he can even touch the dragon he’s confronted with a familiar sensation that sets his hair on end. This was a fellow blood mage, but their magic was… different. Dangerous.
This Gaoler could easily be a threat, but he seemed passive for now. Acier would keep an eye out, but given his own nature he wasn’t keen to judge someone off of their powers, no matter how corrupted.
He nods at the Gaoler. “You’re welcome to come with, if you desire. Perhaps you can find something we would miss. Though, for all my stalking, I never actually caught your name. What are you called?”

A few moments later, Acier finds himself in the town’s central plaza.
If it could be called that.
The dragon he’d heard last night is still there, though she seems to have quieted down slightly. If he had to guess, she’d been talking to Botulism, who was now scrambling around the clan, yelling about an attack. Maybe they’d talk later, but prime witnesses came first.
“Excuse me,” he says as he approaches the Sandsurge. “I heard you saying something about an attack. Would you tell us what happened?”
He offers a hand, casually slipping his magic beneath the dragon’s scales in hopes of catching a glimpse into her memories. Instead, he finds himself in a shadowy mind that seems to prod at him even as he threads around it. A grimace crosses his face for a split second, before returning to its previous expression. “I am Acier, monster hunter, and presently employed in the defense of this settlement. I apologize for not being there last night, but I swear I am going to do everything in my power to secure the clan against future attacks.“
As the Sandsurge responds, Acier draws his magic deeper into her mind. If any impression of the scene crosses her thoughts, he’ll know.
1 2 ... 408 409 410 411 412 ... 451 452