Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | marva's magical mgenes
1 2 3 4
EDIT: [b]to those concerned about gene bloat:[/b] this post was originally enormous when i first wrote it, and contained discussions of how things worked in my dream vs how i thought they should actually work. i thought that was a silly thing to include in a suggestion, and i forgot that wall of text contained my entire concept for how the gene scrolls should work. so i'm putting it back at the bottom, with added mockups. those concerned about gene bloat should read the BOTTOM of this post, because i hate gene bloat too and wouldn't have suggested this if i didn't have a solution for that. ------ this suggestion is brought to you by a dream i had. tl;dr: genes that are copies of existing genes, but with an inverted colour palette. and i mean cntrl+i inverted, invert(100%) inverted. these genes would invert the colours in the sense that the colour palette for these genes would simply be inverted. in much the same way that pharaoh/sarcophagous makes all primary/secondary genes black regardless of their colourwheel colour, and the new chrysocolla/malachite genes have their own colour palette that ignores the colourhweel entirely. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/scrying/predict?morph=4245781][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=81&bodygene=237&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=158&tertgene=0&winggene=237&wings=81&auth=01f6c5c2e4aa5c0bac6ee7adcbf883ed739141a4&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] seriously, this is hunter, not eggplant. so these would, mechanically, be ordinary genes just like any other. they'd simply have very different colours than the colourwheel name would make you expect: [img alt="ghost"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77065131_hBaW5gb7sBFjGmR.png[/img] ------ [img alt="inverted ghost"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77065135_J9FDivygBuVeURK.png[/img] (inverted mockups missing the gradient because that would be a pain to mimic) ------ [img alt="stained"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77065125_eLMWgUzP2z8CKAZ.png[/img] ------ [img alt="inverted stained"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77065129_82BT4lfsE99f36F.png[/img] ------ i think ghost, firefly, and stained are excellent candidates for getting this treatment, but having looked at the inverted colourwheel and experimented with some rather crunchy primary/secondary inversions, i'd like to see inverted versions of quite a lot of genes. [img alt="colour wheel"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77065137_pUQrg0pf4ZsVEXf.png[/img] i'm most excited about inverted fuchsia. that's the high-saturation green the colour wheel has always lacked! that's what i want! there is no colour like that on the real colourwheel! in fact, there are a lot of colours in the inverted wheel that don't exist anywhere on the official one. yeah, the greyscale range isn't doing anything interesting, but the rest of the wheel is almost entirely new colours. the following mockups will have slightly messed-up shading. i did my best to correct it. [img alt="look at that neon green"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77067652_rn155kHjx3nEJ47.png[/img] just LOOK at that neon green!! mint is too blue, mantis isn't saturated enough, and radioactive is very yellow. this is a green that doesn't exist on the colourwheel. inverted fuchsia is where it's at. inverted peacock also makes a shade of pink we don't have. the closest matches are blush, pink, or rose, but they're all very different. [img alt="inverted marbled looks like a better toxin"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77067692_dHEoYdSzbihSw6Q.png[/img] EDIT: my mistake, that's LEAF, not pear also quite a few shades of purple we don't properly have. i thought that jaguar would be really close to violet or purple, but it's actually miles off. [img alt="pastel sky"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77067797_pIOyjvRfeOygfCu.png[/img] inverting the brownrange gives us a lot of desaturated blues and purples [img alt="abyss but better"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77067812_9FOrevAf1EiM3N0.png[/img] abyss has nothing on inverted peridot. if that flaunt is possible with a real colour, someone please tell me. i'm showing fully-inverted dragons here, simply to increase density of comparisons, but my intent is very much to be able to invert by slot, and have it be normally inheritable with the "inverted ghost", "inverted flaunt" gene etc, NOT have some kind of "scroll of colour inversion". i am suggesting genes that use an inverted colour palette. having this function as a completely normal gene also opens up some very interesting possibilities for breeding pairs. imagine a pair that are both fuchsia, but one has [b]ghost[/b] and the other has [b]inverted ghost[/b]. their offspring can either be vibrant pink or lime green. and finally, while i am showing edits of existing genes, and i would absolutely love to have inverted versions of existing genes...since staff seem so unwilling to give us gene variants, i'd also be happy with new genes that specifically invert the colours like this. emphasis on "like this". cntrl+i inversion. ------ GENE BLOAT rather than have marva sell hundreds of gene scrolls, they'd just sell three: [img alt="primary"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77109130_JmLzuWEd969WKDB.png[/img] invert gene: primary [img alt="secondary"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77109546_8BxZ72ybL2L4fQe.png[/img] invert gene: secondary [img alt="tertiary"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77109553_2xxhqHwPnvHbvM9.png[/img] invert gene: tertiary using one of these would bring up the standard gene scroll confirmation modal, with a note explaining exactly what will happen: [img alt="crimson"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/77109913_b4lKWfemaSOj5X2.png[/img] that's crimson, for anyone wondering. i would imagine the description for the scrolls would be something like "Changes the selected dragon's [b]tertiary gene[/b] to its [b]inverted variant[/b], which uses an alternative colour palette. To undo this, use another [b]Invert Gene: Tertiary[/b]. Inverted genes can be passed on normally through breeding." an alternative approach, as others have brought up, is to introduce a new "inverted" flag that applies to the colour itself: [quote name="Hawkfeather" date="2024-02-03 12:05:20" ] I wonder if it would make more sense mechanically to invert the actual color rather the gene though? Then you could show it in the scrying ws with a simple toggle and make it clearer which colors are which. Made a few mockups (icons would obviously be their own thing if this were real, I just mashed some existing ones together as placeholders) [img]https://imgur.com/vQ9s9th.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/55GUGTZ.png[/img] [/quote] in my opinion, this flag should be inheritable, with a 50/50 chance if only one parent has it, and guaranteed if both do. ------ [indent]i also might as well share that in my dream, gene bloat WAS the marva prank. not just for having one inverted gene scroll per gene, but one [i]per colour per gene[/i]. if your dragon had teal stained, and you wanted to invert it, you had to find and purchase "invert tertiary: teal stained".[/indent] obviously i think that's stupid, my brain must have been channelling the gravel prank there.
EDIT: to those concerned about gene bloat: this post was originally enormous when i first wrote it, and contained discussions of how things worked in my dream vs how i thought they should actually work. i thought that was a silly thing to include in a suggestion, and i forgot that wall of text contained my entire concept for how the gene scrolls should work.

so i'm putting it back at the bottom, with added mockups. those concerned about gene bloat should read the BOTTOM of this post, because i hate gene bloat too and wouldn't have suggested this if i didn't have a solution for that.
this suggestion is brought to you by a dream i had.

tl;dr: genes that are copies of existing genes, but with an inverted colour palette. and i mean cntrl+i inverted, invert(100%) inverted.

these genes would invert the colours in the sense that the colour palette for these genes would simply be inverted.

in much the same way that pharaoh/sarcophagous makes all primary/secondary genes black regardless of their colourwheel colour, and the new chrysocolla/malachite genes have their own colour palette that ignores the colourhweel entirely.
dragon?age=1&body=81&bodygene=237&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=158&tertgene=0&winggene=237&wings=81&auth=01f6c5c2e4aa5c0bac6ee7adcbf883ed739141a4&dummyext=prev.png
seriously, this is hunter, not eggplant.

so these would, mechanically, be ordinary genes just like any other.

they'd simply have very different colours than the colourwheel name would make you expect:
ghost
inverted ghost
(inverted mockups missing the gradient because that would be a pain to mimic)

stained
inverted stained
i think ghost, firefly, and stained are excellent candidates for getting this treatment, but having looked at the inverted colourwheel and experimented with some rather crunchy primary/secondary inversions, i'd like to see inverted versions of quite a lot of genes.
colour wheel

i'm most excited about inverted fuchsia. that's the high-saturation green the colour wheel has always lacked! that's what i want! there is no colour like that on the real colourwheel! in fact, there are a lot of colours in the inverted wheel that don't exist anywhere on the official one. yeah, the greyscale range isn't doing anything interesting, but the rest of the wheel is almost entirely new colours.

the following mockups will have slightly messed-up shading. i did my best to correct it.

look at that neon green
just LOOK at that neon green!! mint is too blue, mantis isn't saturated enough, and radioactive is very yellow. this is a green that doesn't exist on the colourwheel. inverted fuchsia is where it's at.

inverted peacock also makes a shade of pink we don't have. the closest matches are blush, pink, or rose, but they're all very different.

inverted marbled looks like a better toxin
EDIT: my mistake, that's LEAF, not pear
also quite a few shades of purple we don't properly have. i thought that jaguar would be really close to violet or purple, but it's actually miles off.

pastel sky
inverting the brownrange gives us a lot of desaturated blues and purples

abyss but better
abyss has nothing on inverted peridot. if that flaunt is possible with a real colour, someone please tell me.

i'm showing fully-inverted dragons here, simply to increase density of comparisons, but my intent is very much to be able to invert by slot, and have it be normally inheritable with the "inverted ghost", "inverted flaunt" gene etc, NOT have some kind of "scroll of colour inversion". i am suggesting genes that use an inverted colour palette.

having this function as a completely normal gene also opens up some very interesting possibilities for breeding pairs. imagine a pair that are both fuchsia, but one has ghost and the other has inverted ghost. their offspring can either be vibrant pink or lime green.

and finally, while i am showing edits of existing genes, and i would absolutely love to have inverted versions of existing genes...since staff seem so unwilling to give us gene variants, i'd also be happy with new genes that specifically invert the colours like this. emphasis on "like this". cntrl+i inversion.
GENE BLOAT

rather than have marva sell hundreds of gene scrolls, they'd just sell three:

primary invert gene: primary
secondary invert gene: secondary
tertiary invert gene: tertiary

using one of these would bring up the standard gene scroll confirmation modal, with a note explaining exactly what will happen:
crimson
that's crimson, for anyone wondering.

i would imagine the description for the scrolls would be something like

"Changes the selected dragon's tertiary gene to its inverted variant, which uses an alternative colour palette. To undo this, use another Invert Gene: Tertiary. Inverted genes can be passed on normally through breeding."

an alternative approach, as others have brought up, is to introduce a new "inverted" flag that applies to the colour itself:
Hawkfeather wrote on 2024-02-03 12:05:20:
I wonder if it would make more sense mechanically to invert the actual color rather the gene though? Then you could show it in the scrying ws with a simple toggle and make it clearer which colors are which.

Made a few mockups (icons would obviously be their own thing if this were real, I just mashed some existing ones together as placeholders)

vQ9s9th.png
55GUGTZ.png

in my opinion, this flag should be inheritable, with a 50/50 chance if only one parent has it, and guaranteed if both do.
i also might as well share that in my dream, gene bloat WAS the marva prank. not just for having one inverted gene scroll per gene, but one per colour per gene. if your dragon had teal stained, and you wanted to invert it, you had to find and purchase "invert tertiary: teal stained".

obviously i think that's stupid, my brain must have been channelling the gravel prank there.
Tired | Xe / Xem / Xyr | Cymreig | avatar
OOOOOOO YES YES THIS IS GENIUS. 100% support, this is so clever!!! It fits Marva so well and would be a GODSEND for a lot of projects, I imagine.
OOOOOOO YES YES THIS IS GENIUS. 100% support, this is so clever!!! It fits Marva so well and would be a GODSEND for a lot of projects, I imagine.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
this is absolutely beautiful and so spot on with a Marva 'prank', it would add so much diversity to gameplay year-round, would be a massive color-saver, and (i would think) it would be relatively easy to implement for the devs too! full support!!
this is absolutely beautiful and so spot on with a Marva 'prank', it would add so much diversity to gameplay year-round, would be a massive color-saver, and (i would think) it would be relatively easy to implement for the devs too! full support!!
OFDnJ2q.jpeg
Looks like color expand with less effort, very interesting idea
Looks like color expand with less effort, very interesting idea
+8h, She
Light Flight
Familiars Wishlist
___ Iz0e2b4.png
Old links:
Try clean lair!
old fest:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ibaz/2266216
Sell FV and CS
FkAu8Li.pngibewym8.png22aOvgY.gifCkwvckv.pngcrxTv4c.pngcrxTv4c.pngcrxTv4c.pngFkAu8Li.png
- Sleeping Dragon Adopt?
Super cool idea, support!
Super cool idea, support!
Untitled47-20231219225403.png
FObX7rS.png5hF3FGk.png
fDSaoY3.pngNN9NPXA.pngtqGkHih.png
Untitled48-20231219225437.png
So you're telling me there would be yet another copy of all genes that inverts the colors of that gene.
So you're telling me there would be yet another copy of all genes that inverts the colors of that gene.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
huge fan of this ^_^ I dont see a downside! maybe to make sure we dont have the AH search issue again they could be named like Inverted Primary Gene: Jaguar
huge fan of this ^_^ I dont see a downside! maybe to make sure we dont have the AH search issue again they could be named like Inverted Primary Gene: Jaguar
imageedit_7_8440965932.png
✧✧✧ AXES - THEY - 21 ✧✧✧
•••
MY HATCHERY
imageedit_6_5428970908.png
I'd like to support this, but having another copy of every gene that just exists to invert the color of it would cause a big gene bloat. I also think it would be strange to have a gene in a color that doesn't even have that color in it.

I think that just having more new sets of accent-color genes would be better, honestly.
I'd like to support this, but having another copy of every gene that just exists to invert the color of it would cause a big gene bloat. I also think it would be strange to have a gene in a color that doesn't even have that color in it.

I think that just having more new sets of accent-color genes would be better, honestly.
52014.png
I U S
he/she | fr +3
agree with the poster above in that while I LOVE this idea I can't help but shudder at how badly this would contribute to the already increasing issue of gene bloat we're dealing with.

perhaps instead of individual genes, there could be an item a la the marva's invisibility cloak where it inverts the colors of ALL the genes it's sitting on at the same time? the picking and choosing which genes are inverse sounds lovely on paper but in practice that's a LOT of genes
agree with the poster above in that while I LOVE this idea I can't help but shudder at how badly this would contribute to the already increasing issue of gene bloat we're dealing with.

perhaps instead of individual genes, there could be an item a la the marva's invisibility cloak where it inverts the colors of ALL the genes it's sitting on at the same time? the picking and choosing which genes are inverse sounds lovely on paper but in practice that's a LOT of genes
YES! Please, my custom progen is stuck with an ugly green tert. Closest match on the color wheel to inverted Jade looks really good on him.

I don't know how things are coded, but the inversion could just be a cosmetic thing, not an item. You wouldn't get a scroll, you would just select the dragon, pay the price, and select the gene you want inverted. On the dragons page, it could list [color] [gene] (inverted);ex. Jade Soap (Inverted). It would be far too cluttered if we had an inverted version of every gene on the site.

I don't think the inversion should be bred down. Torn on whether a dragon should even be sellable with an inverted gene. I could see a lot of players going off the dragon's image and not their actual color info, and buying the wrong dragon for a breeding pair, for example.
YES! Please, my custom progen is stuck with an ugly green tert. Closest match on the color wheel to inverted Jade looks really good on him.

I don't know how things are coded, but the inversion could just be a cosmetic thing, not an item. You wouldn't get a scroll, you would just select the dragon, pay the price, and select the gene you want inverted. On the dragons page, it could list [color] [gene] (inverted);ex. Jade Soap (Inverted). It would be far too cluttered if we had an inverted version of every gene on the site.

I don't think the inversion should be bred down. Torn on whether a dragon should even be sellable with an inverted gene. I could see a lot of players going off the dragon's image and not their actual color info, and buying the wrong dragon for a breeding pair, for example.
1 2 3 4