Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Quaternary Genes (With Concepts!)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Nyrath

For genes like creep, the extension of the secondary is made possible by using the secondary gene's matching primary. There is no need (in my own head anyway) to truly extend any gene, because most, if not all, secondary's have matching primaries and vise versa!

Cover goes by this same idea, but it uses the primary's matching secondary to give the look of the primary extending over the top of the wing.

@borb

For genes with a set color, the color would be the same for every dragon from now and onward because the gene itself would only come in that color. Patches is white and would be white no matter who you put it on. No dragon will ever have a obsidian version of Patches unless there was a quat gene like Patches that was obsidian.

Prismatic uses this same idea, and it'd be the same sparkly rainbow overlay no matter who you stick it on.
@Nyrath

For genes like creep, the extension of the secondary is made possible by using the secondary gene's matching primary. There is no need (in my own head anyway) to truly extend any gene, because most, if not all, secondary's have matching primaries and vise versa!

Cover goes by this same idea, but it uses the primary's matching secondary to give the look of the primary extending over the top of the wing.

@borb

For genes with a set color, the color would be the same for every dragon from now and onward because the gene itself would only come in that color. Patches is white and would be white no matter who you put it on. No dragon will ever have a obsidian version of Patches unless there was a quat gene like Patches that was obsidian.

Prismatic uses this same idea, and it'd be the same sparkly rainbow overlay no matter who you stick it on.
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
Oh! I do like the concept, except it will be a ton of work for artists!

WAITWAITWAIT
each gene is a different color??
Oh! I do like the concept, except it will be a ton of work for artists!

WAITWAITWAIT
each gene is a different color??
F5-F7-F464-C663-44-FB-84-CD-5-ACC56-A83-C9-D.gif
@borb

For genes in the same vein as Patches and Prismatic, yes. Every gene with this same idea would all be their own unique thing, more or less.

For genes like Cover, Creep, Bits, and Bobs, these genes take from colors that the dragon already has.
@borb

For genes in the same vein as Patches and Prismatic, yes. Every gene with this same idea would all be their own unique thing, more or less.

For genes like Cover, Creep, Bits, and Bobs, these genes take from colors that the dragon already has.
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
okay so if you didn't add a gene, would the dragon popup be like non-existent until you buy one? Or just show as "????" Basic

If it doesn't show up then full support :O
okay so if you didn't add a gene, would the dragon popup be like non-existent until you buy one? Or just show as "????" Basic

If it doesn't show up then full support :O
F5-F7-F464-C663-44-FB-84-CD-5-ACC56-A83-C9-D.gif
Unfortunately I don't think these would work with the way Flight Rising's coding parses genes. And I don't just mean in the way they're divided by Primary/Secondary/Tertiary but in how the artwork is auto-generated and layered.

I believe, but I'm not 100% sure that colors and genes are currently layered either Primary | Secondary | Tertiary or Secondary | Primary | Tertiary. I'm all but 100% positive that Tertiary is layered on top of the prim/sec regardless. After that, it's Skin/Accents, Eyes, then clothing.

So while something like Prismatic probably wouldn't have a problem because it's a full body overlay similar to accents/skins, anything like Cover, Creep, Bits, and Bobs I'm pretty sure would be all but impossible. You'd basically be asking the algorithm to apply part of a color from a completely separate layer onto a layer that doesn't have that information. Patches might be able to work but it'd have to be a pre-determined color like white.

Honestly I think the only way those sorts of genes could possibly work is if Quaternary genes are allotted a set color in the same way that Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary genes are given and that color is then set over the other gene layers in the chosen pattern. Which causes its own set of problems. How is the color decided? Is it user chosen? Is it RNG?

If the Devs can figure out a way for something like this to work, it's a great idea but I don't think it works with Flight Rising's current set-up and gene algorithms.
Unfortunately I don't think these would work with the way Flight Rising's coding parses genes. And I don't just mean in the way they're divided by Primary/Secondary/Tertiary but in how the artwork is auto-generated and layered.

I believe, but I'm not 100% sure that colors and genes are currently layered either Primary | Secondary | Tertiary or Secondary | Primary | Tertiary. I'm all but 100% positive that Tertiary is layered on top of the prim/sec regardless. After that, it's Skin/Accents, Eyes, then clothing.

So while something like Prismatic probably wouldn't have a problem because it's a full body overlay similar to accents/skins, anything like Cover, Creep, Bits, and Bobs I'm pretty sure would be all but impossible. You'd basically be asking the algorithm to apply part of a color from a completely separate layer onto a layer that doesn't have that information. Patches might be able to work but it'd have to be a pre-determined color like white.

Honestly I think the only way those sorts of genes could possibly work is if Quaternary genes are allotted a set color in the same way that Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary genes are given and that color is then set over the other gene layers in the chosen pattern. Which causes its own set of problems. How is the color decided? Is it user chosen? Is it RNG?

If the Devs can figure out a way for something like this to work, it's a great idea but I don't think it works with Flight Rising's current set-up and gene algorithms.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
I really love the idea of a quaternary gene! Always have :D
I really love the idea of a quaternary gene! Always have :D
@borb

As far as that goes, that would be solely up to the devs to decide. I would hope the implementation of an idea like mine would at least find some nice middle-ground (whatever it might look like) at least!

@Twizz

I unfortunately know next to nothing about how a site like Flight Rising is coded, which is why I can agree that the ideas I'm showing here could very much be just wishful thinking. Though regardless I'm having a lot of fun coming up with genes!

The way I had imagined the genes like Cover working is that they'd layer under the tert. The problem then are the genes like Patches, which layer over everything like accents. In a perfect world perhaps genes like Cover and Patches could be tagged differently in the code, so one kind layers under the tert and the other layers over everything. Is this something that can actually be done? I certainly have no idea and the answer is probably "no". I accept that this would very much be a "one or the other" situation that Patches will probably win out.

As far as how the quart genes in the vein of Cover would know what colors and what genes it needs to apply, the way I imagine it working when you apply a scroll or a hatchling is born with something like Creep is:

- Checks for Secondary color (banana)
- Checks for Secondary gene (Basic)
= Dragon gets Basic Banana Creep applied to their quart slot

Again that's knows-nothing-about-code thinking, but it's something!

As far as a new color being tacked onto dragons, it's something I'd wanted to avoid in this idea. But if it's absolutely necessary then there's nothing really that can be done about it, how that would be handled would be up to the devs.
@borb

As far as that goes, that would be solely up to the devs to decide. I would hope the implementation of an idea like mine would at least find some nice middle-ground (whatever it might look like) at least!

@Twizz

I unfortunately know next to nothing about how a site like Flight Rising is coded, which is why I can agree that the ideas I'm showing here could very much be just wishful thinking. Though regardless I'm having a lot of fun coming up with genes!

The way I had imagined the genes like Cover working is that they'd layer under the tert. The problem then are the genes like Patches, which layer over everything like accents. In a perfect world perhaps genes like Cover and Patches could be tagged differently in the code, so one kind layers under the tert and the other layers over everything. Is this something that can actually be done? I certainly have no idea and the answer is probably "no". I accept that this would very much be a "one or the other" situation that Patches will probably win out.

As far as how the quart genes in the vein of Cover would know what colors and what genes it needs to apply, the way I imagine it working when you apply a scroll or a hatchling is born with something like Creep is:

- Checks for Secondary color (banana)
- Checks for Secondary gene (Basic)
= Dragon gets Basic Banana Creep applied to their quart slot

Again that's knows-nothing-about-code thinking, but it's something!

As far as a new color being tacked onto dragons, it's something I'd wanted to avoid in this idea. But if it's absolutely necessary then there's nothing really that can be done about it, how that would be handled would be up to the devs.
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
[center][img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/490306114148106240/723042124408553514/dragon_46.png[/img][/center] This gene takes the marking variation idea from Patches and uses the tert color to give a dragon a chimeric appearance!
dragon_46.png

This gene takes the marking variation idea from Patches and uses the tert color to give a dragon a chimeric appearance!
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
i don't have a lot of hope that something like this would actually be integrated, but i honestly like it. Though I imagine quaternary genes being small things like freckles, spots, runelike things etc on multiply/darken layers and such.
i don't have a lot of hope that something like this would actually be integrated, but i honestly like it. Though I imagine quaternary genes being small things like freckles, spots, runelike things etc on multiply/darken layers and such.
2.gif
loving all these ideas

I also wanna say, this is a great way to utilize a tertiary gene color in a different way. There's a lot of times where there aren't any tertiary genes I'm satisfied with for a dragon, but some of these suggestions open up new ways to incorporate that third color
or! add more visual interest so that even if I'd prefer leaving a tertiary basic, the dragons still has some cool things going on
loving all these ideas

I also wanna say, this is a great way to utilize a tertiary gene color in a different way. There's a lot of times where there aren't any tertiary genes I'm satisfied with for a dragon, but some of these suggestions open up new ways to incorporate that third color
or! add more visual interest so that even if I'd prefer leaving a tertiary basic, the dragons still has some cool things going on
tumblr_inline_p8uk5sITl01qdxu5r_540.giftumblr_p8ubo4fvsj1tcuk4xo1_250.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9