Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Quaternary Genes (With Concepts!)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I believe it is time to expand the horizons with our dragons and go beyond the three gene slots and add a fourth! But this fourth slot would not be like the others, it would be a beast unto itself. The idea would be that some of these genes would be modifiers that would change how the dragon's colors and markings look in some way, or be something more unique with set colors or varying patterns! [LIST] [*]If implemented, all existing dragons would start out with the basic gene in that fourth slot and have no visible change, much like when a dragon has the basic tert gene. [*][b]These genes would not add a new color to your dragon[/b] but have their own set color(s) or take colors already present in Primary/Secondary/Tertiary. [*]These genes would not randomly pop up when breeding, these genes, like all others, must be bought, found, traded for, or brewed and then applied to a dragon before they could be passed on to offspring. Two parents with basic quat genes will only ever have babies with basic quat genes. [/LIST] [b]Pros[/b]: [LIST] [*]Customization that isn't available with the other genes [*]Genes do not tack on a new color.[/LIST] [b]Cons[/b]: [LIST] [*]New gene could leave finished projects feeling unfinished once again [*]Possibly difficult to implement [/LIST] I[b]deas how these genes would work in breeding[/b]: [b]1[/b]. They pass like normal genes, if both parents have a gene, 100% the hatchings will have that gene and etc. [b]2[/b]. They are very hard to pass. If both parents have a gene there is still only a small chance hatchlings will also have it. [b]3[/b]. They do not pass at all/only pass with special conditions. [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/490306114148106240/722175178905354330/dragon_1zxads.png[/img] As you can see, this gene has no color or pattern of it's own and uses preexisting genes and the dragon's own colors to give the appearance that the primary is extending over the top of the wing. [center][img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/490306114148106240/722309216601243709/dragon_14.png[/img][/center] This gene would take the crystalline look of cry/face (or perhaps glimmer) and add a rainbow gradient, then this would be overlayed onto the dragon for a colorful, glittering look. (Though hopefully rendered better than my attempt here!) [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/skin/2869035/11#post_43632320]This[/url] absolutely gorgeous Brightshine submission is also a good idea how this gene could be rendered! [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/490306114148106240/722218306756411402/fh.png[/img] [/center] This gene has both a set color and has marking variation! When breeding, the pattern will be decided by rng, but scrolls would be available for each variation (simply named vers. 1, 2, & 3) in the marketplace! [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1329753/1#post_1329753]This idea is based on the the tert that pie/paint could've been! [/url] ([b]I am taking suggestions for more gene concepts![/b]!) More Genes [LIST] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2874603/2#post_43693791]Creep[/url] (idea by @SilverLately) [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2874603/2#post_43694761]Bits & Bobs[/url] [*] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2874603/4#post_43712834]Chimera[/url] [/LIST]
I believe it is time to expand the horizons with our dragons and go beyond the three gene slots and add a fourth! But this fourth slot would not be like the others, it would be a beast unto itself.

The idea would be that some of these genes would be modifiers that would change how the dragon's colors and markings look in some way, or be something more unique with set colors or varying patterns!

• If implemented, all existing dragons would start out with the basic gene in that fourth slot and have no visible change, much like when a dragon has the basic tert gene.
  • These genes would not add a new color to your dragon but have their own set color(s) or take colors already present in Primary/Secondary/Tertiary.
  • These genes would not randomly pop up when breeding, these genes, like all others, must be bought, found, traded for, or brewed and then applied to a dragon before they could be passed on to offspring. Two parents with basic quat genes will only ever have babies with basic quat genes.

Pros:
  • Customization that isn't available with the other genes
  • Genes do not tack on a new color.

Cons:
  • New gene could leave finished projects feeling unfinished once again
  • Possibly difficult to implement

Ideas how these genes would work in breeding:

1. They pass like normal genes, if both parents have a gene, 100% the hatchings will have that gene and etc.

2. They are very hard to pass. If both parents have a gene there is still only a small chance hatchlings will also have it.

3. They do not pass at all/only pass with special conditions.

dragon_1zxads.png

As you can see, this gene has no color or pattern of it's own and uses preexisting genes and the dragon's own colors to give the appearance that the primary is extending over the top of the wing.
dragon_14.png

This gene would take the crystalline look of cry/face (or perhaps glimmer) and add a rainbow gradient, then this would be overlayed onto the dragon for a colorful, glittering look. (Though hopefully rendered better than my attempt here!) This absolutely gorgeous Brightshine submission is also a good idea how this gene could be rendered!
fh.png

This gene has both a set color and has marking variation! When breeding, the pattern will be decided by rng, but scrolls would be available for each variation (simply named vers. 1, 2, & 3) in the marketplace! This idea is based on the the tert that pie/paint could've been!

(I am taking suggestions for more gene concepts!!)

More Genes
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
It can be interesting. Not sure how feasible to add it though. Personally it would add another layer of customization to my dragons in a way the current genes cannot do, though at the same time I wonder if it would make existing breeding projects even harder... I do like the fact it's not introducing a 4th colour, but rather modify the existing overall appearance.
It can be interesting. Not sure how feasible to add it though. Personally it would add another layer of customization to my dragons in a way the current genes cannot do, though at the same time I wonder if it would make existing breeding projects even harder... I do like the fact it's not introducing a 4th colour, but rather modify the existing overall appearance.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
I'd only support this if it was something that only applied to newly introduced breeds, and due to how breeding works I think it would need to only apply to new ancient breeds. I would be very disappointed if suddenly my current dragons had a 4th gene that modified their current appearance.
I'd only support this if it was something that only applied to newly introduced breeds, and due to how breeding works I think it would need to only apply to new ancient breeds. I would be very disappointed if suddenly my current dragons had a 4th gene that modified their current appearance.
ZQGfAQY.png
@hat17

I wouldn't imagine it would, hopefully! At least no one will have to worry about their xyx suddenly being an xyxz!

@Jessyta

For all existing dragons the slot would start as basic and the dragon would have no change in their appearance.
@hat17

I wouldn't imagine it would, hopefully! At least no one will have to worry about their xyx suddenly being an xyxz!

@Jessyta

For all existing dragons the slot would start as basic and the dragon would have no change in their appearance.
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
Support! I think it would add nice new layer to how customizable dragons are. Which I'm always in favor of.
Though I would be a bit wary on how exactly its added. I def think dragons all starting with basic and making a lot of them treasure genes is a good way to go because:
1: doesnt change existing dragons' appearance without the owner wanting it
2: having them be treasure or even coli genes makes them accessible to more folks and thus through breeding getting the genes out into the pool easier overall
Support! I think it would add nice new layer to how customizable dragons are. Which I'm always in favor of.
Though I would be a bit wary on how exactly its added. I def think dragons all starting with basic and making a lot of them treasure genes is a good way to go because:
1: doesnt change existing dragons' appearance without the owner wanting it
2: having them be treasure or even coli genes makes them accessible to more folks and thus through breeding getting the genes out into the pool easier overall
bBPzQ9y.png
I'd only support this idea as long as it's not something that can be obtained through breeding (I mean randomly by chance... so not like eyes). Other than that, I like the idea. Piebald markings on Lioden are some of my favourites, and having small quarternary genes such as these would be a nice layer of customization I can't get (nor am I a fan of the flat colours with piebald and paint as genes) with the base version of piebald or paint in FR.
I'd only support this idea as long as it's not something that can be obtained through breeding (I mean randomly by chance... so not like eyes). Other than that, I like the idea. Piebald markings on Lioden are some of my favourites, and having small quarternary genes such as these would be a nice layer of customization I can't get (nor am I a fan of the flat colours with piebald and paint as genes) with the base version of piebald or paint in FR.
@Lykos

No worries! No surprise genes here :D

All preexisting dragons would have a basic quat gene and suffer no visible changes, just like when a dragon has a basic tert!
@Lykos

No worries! No surprise genes here :D

All preexisting dragons would have a basic quat gene and suffer no visible changes, just like when a dragon has a basic tert!
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
This is really clever and I love the idea. To clarify, does the 4 gene not have a color associated and only uses one of the other colors (like cover uses 1 and patches only comes in one color)? Because I really like that, it really simplifies things that usually come up with the number 4 gene slot.

Do you imagine the 4 gene will show up as basic like the tertiary does or will it be invisible unless one is applied? Because I think we've been trained by now to think of basic as being unfinished, unfortunately, and I think that might "ruin" some people's dragons that we're finished before and now are "missing" a gene.

I think the ideas you've explained so far are really very interesting, though, and most dragons would not need one of these to feel completely, I think... As long as it didn't show up as being basic. I'm not sure it can be avoided once the idea is brought up, though.

Also, prismatic sounds like what stained should have been as a gem gene (but in different colors), so I don't know about that specific one...
This is really clever and I love the idea. To clarify, does the 4 gene not have a color associated and only uses one of the other colors (like cover uses 1 and patches only comes in one color)? Because I really like that, it really simplifies things that usually come up with the number 4 gene slot.

Do you imagine the 4 gene will show up as basic like the tertiary does or will it be invisible unless one is applied? Because I think we've been trained by now to think of basic as being unfinished, unfortunately, and I think that might "ruin" some people's dragons that we're finished before and now are "missing" a gene.

I think the ideas you've explained so far are really very interesting, though, and most dragons would not need one of these to feel completely, I think... As long as it didn't show up as being basic. I'm not sure it can be avoided once the idea is brought up, though.

Also, prismatic sounds like what stained should have been as a gem gene (but in different colors), so I don't know about that specific one...
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Really loving this idea especially if the 4th gene slot is colorless. Aka no one gets random colors slapped on their dragons that day, might ruin a person’s triple by making its 4th color magenta. Also patches is the gene of my dreams.
Really loving this idea especially if the 4th gene slot is colorless. Aka no one gets random colors slapped on their dragons that day, might ruin a person’s triple by making its 4th color magenta. Also patches is the gene of my dreams.
I actually really like this idea, it adds a nice bit of customization to the dragons without going overboard.
I actually really like this idea, it adds a nice bit of customization to the dragons without going overboard.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9