Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Bring back two-letter names.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
Support. Huge support.
I had an Io and a Ra (both names I LOVE and part of naming themes I wanted to expand) that I was forced to exalt while desperate for space with the intention of bringing back those names on other dragons when a project that was taking up too much lair space was finished. Guess what happened before I could? And I've only been here two years. This wasn't a change that happened at the beginning.

The "it's for search reasons" is bull too, if it hurt the search they could have restricted searching by fewer than three letters. But I can go to the dragon search right now and find every dragon that exists with "a" in their names. Or they could have made the search actually useful and let us designate exact match only.
Support. Huge support.
I had an Io and a Ra (both names I LOVE and part of naming themes I wanted to expand) that I was forced to exalt while desperate for space with the intention of bringing back those names on other dragons when a project that was taking up too much lair space was finished. Guess what happened before I could? And I've only been here two years. This wasn't a change that happened at the beginning.

The "it's for search reasons" is bull too, if it hurt the search they could have restricted searching by fewer than three letters. But I can go to the dragon search right now and find every dragon that exists with "a" in their names. Or they could have made the search actually useful and let us designate exact match only.
Supporting this because I'd like to make a fandragon of AM from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and AlliedMasterComputer is kind of a poor compromise.

Also... yeah, maybe this change could come on the back of a search update?
Supporting this because I'd like to make a fandragon of AM from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and AlliedMasterComputer is kind of a poor compromise.

Also... yeah, maybe this change could come on the back of a search update?
Huge support. There's a bunch of names I'd like to use that have only two letters. If it's a coding issue related to Search or something else, maybe there will be a way to work around that?
Huge support. There's a bunch of names I'd like to use that have only two letters. If it's a coding issue related to Search or something else, maybe there will be a way to work around that?
This is one of those "it was never intended" things that was let go for so long with no communication whatsoever that it doesn't matter whether it was intended or not.

Bring back two-letter names. Add one-letter names. Limit search parameters instead.
This is one of those "it was never intended" things that was let go for so long with no communication whatsoever that it doesn't matter whether it was intended or not.

Bring back two-letter names. Add one-letter names. Limit search parameters instead.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2020-02-19 11:15:52" ] This is one of those "it was never intended" things that was let go for so long with no communication whatsoever that it doesn't matter whether it was intended or not. Bring back two-letter names. Add one-letter names. Limit search parameters instead. [/quote] THIS. I honestly thought that the mistake was that they wrote the wrong info on the naming box (three instead of two) and never got around to fixing it. Same as how it said that names had to be alphanumeric.... And then numbers weren't allowed. There was zero reason to assume that the bug was in allowing 2 letter names and not that that warning itself was just incorrect on both counts.
Almedha wrote on 2020-02-19 11:15:52:

THIS.

I honestly thought that the mistake was that they wrote the wrong info on the naming box (three instead of two) and never got around to fixing it. Same as how it said that names had to be alphanumeric.... And then numbers weren't allowed. There was zero reason to assume that the bug was in allowing 2 letter names and not that that warning itself was just incorrect on both counts.
I also would not be too upset if this was never added.

however, I'll say support to add back two letter names, and maybe even numbers? I also support the "just restrict the search" idea, that seems like a good idea,
I also would not be too upset if this was never added.

however, I'll say support to add back two letter names, and maybe even numbers? I also support the "just restrict the search" idea, that seems like a good idea,
+2 FR time
he/they
The thing is, we got the search engine revamp fairly recently and I'd been speculating that we'd get much more naming freedom when the revamp goes live but the revamp had come, yet the naming is now practically even more restrictive than it's been before. The way the search engine works is that it takes the word you're searching for and treats it more as an element, and finds it in names that consist of that word and more. You can imagine how hard it would be to find a dragon that's called "An" or "Re".

But other than that, have we ever actually gotten a solid reason as to why dragons on-site aren't allowed to have names that are less than three letters long and have no spacing? Or perhaps apostrophes or hyphens? I really want to know but from what I've seen, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I fully support the two-letter comeback, I support changing the way the naming system works entirely tbh. I don't think we should restrict things like these. One-letter names, spaces, hyphens and apostrophes should all be allowed. I can't expect a Slavic ch or sh, or an o with an umlaut because those aren't conventional and widespread letters, but one or two-letter names have existed throughout all of human history pretty much, and simple symbols such as those that I've mentioned are widespread. OH and especially numbers, don't even get me started on numbers.

I am currently eyeing a dragon called Ra and if I end up buying him for a very high amount of money, but the character limit or restriction gets updated, I will not be mad. I will not care. I will be much happier knowing that I'll finally be able to give my dragons two-letter names or even spaces in names. I collected thousands of crab familiars, and if I wasn't a mass-hoarder but had intended to sell those later while Drakeharvest is not on, but saw that the prices were just dwindling until they reached 1 G per crab, should I be taken seriously? I don't think so.

We shouldn't take people's choices of purchase into account when it comes to things like these. If I spent a ton of money on a Primal G1 and Primal finally got introduced as a vial, I wouldn't care, I would be happy. Same goes for permanently-retired Scatterscrolls or now hyper-inflated two-letters. Claiming that it is unfair towards those who had spent a ton of currency is completely untrue due to the nature of the economy. At most, it is very unfortunate but it is not unfair. Many people choose to mass-purchase scrolls or similar at a specific price and then sell them once they've inflated in case of retirement. But there were instances in which prices had deflated. Should those people who had invested money in buying those items be refunded? People who buy game packs with official merchandise for almost $1000 and then end up selling the whole pack for around $250, should they also be refunded? No. That's just how economy works. Those are entirely subjective matters and personal choices. You did not have to buy those items or dragons at that price.

Yes, in a hypothetical (and frankly hopeful) scenario in which the naming restrictions are removed or altered and new ways of obtaining unnatural eyes introduced, there will be many people who will be dissatisfied, unhappy and even angry because of their previous investments, but knowing that changes like those would benefit the majority of the playerbase AND improve the game, those subjective cases are sadly irrelevant.

So, support for bringing back two-letter names and even giving us more freedom.
The thing is, we got the search engine revamp fairly recently and I'd been speculating that we'd get much more naming freedom when the revamp goes live but the revamp had come, yet the naming is now practically even more restrictive than it's been before. The way the search engine works is that it takes the word you're searching for and treats it more as an element, and finds it in names that consist of that word and more. You can imagine how hard it would be to find a dragon that's called "An" or "Re".

But other than that, have we ever actually gotten a solid reason as to why dragons on-site aren't allowed to have names that are less than three letters long and have no spacing? Or perhaps apostrophes or hyphens? I really want to know but from what I've seen, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I fully support the two-letter comeback, I support changing the way the naming system works entirely tbh. I don't think we should restrict things like these. One-letter names, spaces, hyphens and apostrophes should all be allowed. I can't expect a Slavic ch or sh, or an o with an umlaut because those aren't conventional and widespread letters, but one or two-letter names have existed throughout all of human history pretty much, and simple symbols such as those that I've mentioned are widespread. OH and especially numbers, don't even get me started on numbers.

I am currently eyeing a dragon called Ra and if I end up buying him for a very high amount of money, but the character limit or restriction gets updated, I will not be mad. I will not care. I will be much happier knowing that I'll finally be able to give my dragons two-letter names or even spaces in names. I collected thousands of crab familiars, and if I wasn't a mass-hoarder but had intended to sell those later while Drakeharvest is not on, but saw that the prices were just dwindling until they reached 1 G per crab, should I be taken seriously? I don't think so.

We shouldn't take people's choices of purchase into account when it comes to things like these. If I spent a ton of money on a Primal G1 and Primal finally got introduced as a vial, I wouldn't care, I would be happy. Same goes for permanently-retired Scatterscrolls or now hyper-inflated two-letters. Claiming that it is unfair towards those who had spent a ton of currency is completely untrue due to the nature of the economy. At most, it is very unfortunate but it is not unfair. Many people choose to mass-purchase scrolls or similar at a specific price and then sell them once they've inflated in case of retirement. But there were instances in which prices had deflated. Should those people who had invested money in buying those items be refunded? People who buy game packs with official merchandise for almost $1000 and then end up selling the whole pack for around $250, should they also be refunded? No. That's just how economy works. Those are entirely subjective matters and personal choices. You did not have to buy those items or dragons at that price.

Yes, in a hypothetical (and frankly hopeful) scenario in which the naming restrictions are removed or altered and new ways of obtaining unnatural eyes introduced, there will be many people who will be dissatisfied, unhappy and even angry because of their previous investments, but knowing that changes like those would benefit the majority of the playerbase AND improve the game, those subjective cases are sadly irrelevant.

So, support for bringing back two-letter names and even giving us more freedom.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Support! I didn't even realize this was a thing until a little while ago when I wanted to name a dragon Ai. I don't see why it's an issue in the first place.
Support! I didn't even realize this was a thing until a little while ago when I wanted to name a dragon Ai. I don't see why it's an issue in the first place.
9d11366f2d678472ace38a6e2311a4162142dafe.pngc606edbc4eb0e9fc5f363d0a028913517bcfdd6f.pngf77dd2353663cc89fe0668da0c86703e666d76bf.png
35cb8654572db4db5b4520c6e28f636d01bdf0c7.png555e3ba7f82dd592b638a85ef9deb25dff5daab3.png49dbd7b5f3a522b38f038622c0fc08016c5b26a1.png
FUll support, dragons are saved by ID anyways so having a 2 letter name doesn't change anything
FUll support, dragons are saved by ID anyways so having a 2 letter name doesn't change anything
gOOHrVC.png PLEASE BUY MY DRAGON'S THEY'RE EATING ALL THE FOOD
I'd like this or some kind of explanation for why it can't be implemented... I don't know how to word this correctly haha, I don't mean like "staff you owe us an explanation"-- but I feel like there's a reason it was taken out, and if there was then thats fine, I just don't know what the reason could be
I'd like this or some kind of explanation for why it can't be implemented... I don't know how to word this correctly haha, I don't mean like "staff you owe us an explanation"-- but I feel like there's a reason it was taken out, and if there was then thats fine, I just don't know what the reason could be
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15