Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gene variants
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Since this was just mentioned in the "[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3095570/17#post_51761309]Make BLEP a Tertiary gene OR APPARE[/url]L" thread. [quote name="[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3095570/17#post_51761096]Stellarnaut[/url]" date="2022-07-16 08:53:01" ] "Perma baby s t o n k s" Lmao I forgot I love this community. I think it in the form of apparel would be more pliable though! Perhaps select from a bleb tongue, a long slithery tongue, mutli-forked tongue, etc. Good Idea! [/quote] If ever a 'gene' was made for variant options. It would be awesome to rollout Blep with tongue variants. Pics pulled from first page of thread: [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/753324313834160198/800970882653618266/blep_gene1.png[/img] Fleshy tongue Tert Colored Forked tongue [columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/lB7dDyE.png[/img] [nextcol] [img]https://i.imgur.com/cSJ9Zxv.png[/img] Resize and Flip mine [/columns] Tert Color Forked Tongue on baby [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/753324313834160198/800969629005905920/blep_gene4.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/753324313834160198/802283051446698005/blep_noc.png[/img] Pointed tongue on baby [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/753324313834160198/802277352456847440/blep_skydancer.png[/img] Fleshy tongue on baby [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/753324313834160198/802299897508003890/blep_coatl2.png[/img]
Since this was just mentioned in the "Make BLEP a Tertiary gene OR APPAREL" thread.
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3095570/17#post_51761096]Stellarnaut[/url] wrote on 2022-07-16 08:53:01:
"Perma baby s t o n k s" Lmao I forgot I love this community.
I think it in the form of apparel would be more pliable though! Perhaps select from a bleb tongue, a long slithery tongue, mutli-forked tongue, etc.
Good Idea!

If ever a 'gene' was made for variant options. It would be awesome to rollout Blep with tongue variants.

Pics pulled from first page of thread:

blep_gene1.png
Fleshy tongue

Tert Colored Forked tongue
lB7dDyE.png cSJ9Zxv.png
Resize and Flip mine

Tert Color Forked Tongue on baby
blep_gene4.png
blep_noc.png

Pointed tongue on baby
blep_skydancer.png

Fleshy tongue on baby
blep_coatl2.png

Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
[quote name="PersimmonBird" date="2022-01-31 15:25:46" ] [quote name="Aserein" date="2022-01-31 09:58:46" ] While I do support this overall, I also worry that this would lead to players making a lot of demands and winding up asking for 10 different variants of one gene just so they could have it to their exact taste and are never ever satisfied with what they have. I know this would be relatively easy to ignore and dismiss this, but I'm worried it would make for a very demanding and pushy attitude from some players who might not understand that the variant they want is far more work than they think it is. [/quote] I think that's a potential issue, but honestly I think that the increased satisfaction with gene releases being able to appeal to a wider base AND the fact that right now when we get a particular gene we don't get anything closely similar, so once a gene comes out it takes the place of all other possible interpretations is the balancing upside to a system like this. Currently those who don't like a gene can be unhappy both about the gene itself and the lost opportunity it represents to get a similar gene that they [i]would[/i] like. Variants would take some of the pressure off genes to be everything to everyone -they shouldn't have to be but that's how a lot of people react. And I think that overall that would really help balance the negative expectations this could foster. And I think making the release announcement very clear about the way variants will be handled and the limits on what staff are willing to do, would help. People are pretty good about pointing out where a suggestion is overstepping what staff have said they're willing to do (like apparel for Ancients) having a quote-able and easy to reference policy on what is in consideration for a variant (no more than 3% new art, must maintain x amount of main color when recoloring, whatever they feel is appropriate) would help counter people making unreasonable demands. And I really do think this has the potential to allow a lot more customization going forward with a much lighter workload for staff than anything else in a similar vein. Especially with how long breeds take to create this could be a good way to continue to add refreshed content with less burden that would hinder development of new-new material at the same time. [/quote] To be fair, people already do this. There are plenty of people that make demands that a gene be changed or reverted because it currently doesn't suit their personal tastes. Oftentimes the community will shut that down and say that something shouldn't be changed just because you don't like it. Of course, this addition might change that, but I feel like it would be treated the same as things are now regarding new gene ideas: ignored until/if deemed worthwhile. Overall, this "issue" would be more of a non-issue and gene variant suggestions would just be the same as any other. I do agree with this on the announcement clarification though. Limitations should be in place to limit the player base's expectations. Of course, we'll always get those one off suggestions, but I think the majority that end up in Suggestions understand and read the limitations in regards to update posts (and, if not, they'll be informed by someone that does).
PersimmonBird wrote on 2022-01-31 15:25:46:
Aserein wrote on 2022-01-31 09:58:46:
While I do support this overall, I also worry that this would lead to players making a lot of demands and winding up asking for 10 different variants of one gene just so they could have it to their exact taste and are never ever satisfied with what they have.

I know this would be relatively easy to ignore and dismiss this, but I'm worried it would make for a very demanding and pushy attitude from some players who might not understand that the variant they want is far more work than they think it is.

I think that's a potential issue, but honestly I think that the increased satisfaction with gene releases being able to appeal to a wider base AND the fact that right now when we get a particular gene we don't get anything closely similar, so once a gene comes out it takes the place of all other possible interpretations is the balancing upside to a system like this. Currently those who don't like a gene can be unhappy both about the gene itself and the lost opportunity it represents to get a similar gene that they would like. Variants would take some of the pressure off genes to be everything to everyone -they shouldn't have to be but that's how a lot of people react. And I think that overall that would really help balance the negative expectations this could foster.

And I think making the release announcement very clear about the way variants will be handled and the limits on what staff are willing to do, would help. People are pretty good about pointing out where a suggestion is overstepping what staff have said they're willing to do (like apparel for Ancients) having a quote-able and easy to reference policy on what is in consideration for a variant (no more than 3% new art, must maintain x amount of main color when recoloring, whatever they feel is appropriate) would help counter people making unreasonable demands.

And I really do think this has the potential to allow a lot more customization going forward with a much lighter workload for staff than anything else in a similar vein. Especially with how long breeds take to create this could be a good way to continue to add refreshed content with less burden that would hinder development of new-new material at the same time.

To be fair, people already do this. There are plenty of people that make demands that a gene be changed or reverted because it currently doesn't suit their personal tastes. Oftentimes the community will shut that down and say that something shouldn't be changed just because you don't like it. Of course, this addition might change that, but I feel like it would be treated the same as things are now regarding new gene ideas: ignored until/if deemed worthwhile. Overall, this "issue" would be more of a non-issue and gene variant suggestions would just be the same as any other.

I do agree with this on the announcement clarification though. Limitations should be in place to limit the player base's expectations. Of course, we'll always get those one off suggestions, but I think the majority that end up in Suggestions understand and read the limitations in regards to update posts (and, if not, they'll be informed by someone that does).
I think these are great, especially the Keel varients. The stained-glass Capsule and clear-cut Thylacine also looks amazing.
I think these are great, especially the Keel varients. The stained-glass Capsule and clear-cut Thylacine also looks amazing.
I want to scoot this back up front with all the discussion of an expanded color wheel. I just think this would be so much more versatile with less downsides then a color wheel expansion.

You could have flaunt/flair with new accent colors. Old genes could have accent colors, giving them new life. Want that new color? We’ll make stained effect only the sections you want. Depending on how it works you could even do it in stages meaning there’s less work demand upfront.

And no previous pairs or projects effected and new breeds and genes don’t take extra time.
I want to scoot this back up front with all the discussion of an expanded color wheel. I just think this would be so much more versatile with less downsides then a color wheel expansion.

You could have flaunt/flair with new accent colors. Old genes could have accent colors, giving them new life. Want that new color? We’ll make stained effect only the sections you want. Depending on how it works you could even do it in stages meaning there’s less work demand upfront.

And no previous pairs or projects effected and new breeds and genes don’t take extra time.
gG13YVz.pngtumblr_o4yu8gUBhN1uvtnbto1_400.png
i love in depth suggestions like this. mockups especially! this is a super cool idea that has a ton of potential! tons of support :}
i love in depth suggestions like this. mockups especially! this is a super cool idea that has a ton of potential! tons of support :}
f3wi9c4.png sef | +2 fr time | any pronouns
profile dragon
Oof, support, especially for those keel variants. I regularly inquire in dragon share about various genes I just don't care for and ask folks to share with me their successes with said gene. Keel was by far the most difficult as many folks even admitted as they shared their dragon that it wasn't their favorite or it was difficult to work with or even that they still hated it. But I'm certain there are many who love it as is. I love the idea of keel, just not the implementation that is currently out there and I would love an option to change it up.

Edit: Also, I would love a variant that made spines larger/more prominent (kinda like Abe fangs) and/or of different shapes like dino plate spines.
Oof, support, especially for those keel variants. I regularly inquire in dragon share about various genes I just don't care for and ask folks to share with me their successes with said gene. Keel was by far the most difficult as many folks even admitted as they shared their dragon that it wasn't their favorite or it was difficult to work with or even that they still hated it. But I'm certain there are many who love it as is. I love the idea of keel, just not the implementation that is currently out there and I would love an option to change it up.

Edit: Also, I would love a variant that made spines larger/more prominent (kinda like Abe fangs) and/or of different shapes like dino plate spines.
Keel would've been fine if it had just been renamed Shard or Sliver or something, personally.... It isn't keel-anything as it is. Not like a boat hull, bird's breastbone or reptile scale.

"Keeled scales refer to reptile scales that, rather than being smooth, have a ridge down the center that may or may not extend to the tip of the scale,[1] making them rough to the touch." ( Campbell, J. , Lamar, W. (2004). The Venomous Reptiles of the Western Hemisphere.)
Keel would've been fine if it had just been renamed Shard or Sliver or something, personally.... It isn't keel-anything as it is. Not like a boat hull, bird's breastbone or reptile scale.

"Keeled scales refer to reptile scales that, rather than being smooth, have a ridge down the center that may or may not extend to the tip of the scale,[1] making them rough to the touch." ( Campbell, J. , Lamar, W. (2004). The Venomous Reptiles of the Western Hemisphere.)
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
OooOooh I am glad this thread was bumped, I haven't seen it before! This is a very cool suggestion that really widens the amount of options without too much creativity needed. Love this, organization & examples and everything.
OooOooh I am glad this thread was bumped, I haven't seen it before! This is a very cool suggestion that really widens the amount of options without too much creativity needed. Love this, organization & examples and everything.
eP65k0J.png
I am not sure we need entire new mechanic for "alter gene" but what could be done within existing system and is good - add more variations as new gene.

And while some mentioned genes are really different from old and requair as many work as any new gen; alot of cool variants are simple recolors!

Add more genes that are recolors of old. It is mutch faster and easier to create. It make happy alot of players who "like old but want a bit diffirence"

Let's say very popular Fla/Fla!

Instead of make dramma with "fixing reverted colors on obey" simply add new gene with reverted colors for each breed!

Actually I'd like some other breeds has "reverted manes" as well as some obeys hase "unreverted"

Recoloring works good with all cnon'monochrome genes and could be done easy with their coloring engine.
I am not sure we need entire new mechanic for "alter gene" but what could be done within existing system and is good - add more variations as new gene.

And while some mentioned genes are really different from old and requair as many work as any new gen; alot of cool variants are simple recolors!

Add more genes that are recolors of old. It is mutch faster and easier to create. It make happy alot of players who "like old but want a bit diffirence"

Let's say very popular Fla/Fla!

Instead of make dramma with "fixing reverted colors on obey" simply add new gene with reverted colors for each breed!

Actually I'd like some other breeds has "reverted manes" as well as some obeys hase "unreverted"

Recoloring works good with all cnon'monochrome genes and could be done easy with their coloring engine.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
Adding one more suggestion to the pile. Banescale Fans [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=47&breed=18&element=2&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=45&tertgene=41&winggene=53&wings=45&auth=5a325fd1be4762b912d7b881b83e8fd6e6ce525c&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Because we're so limited on Ancients their genes really need to be able to pull their weight on showcasing them. This scry bane is Obs/gold/gold, with Marble/Toxin/Fans. But some kind of Fans version where it uses an accent color or serious shine as it is a [b]gem[/b] gene and a super plain one for a gem gene at that would be very welcome. Something to add some extra character, like the color change mentioned or rips or tears in the membrane. The same would probably apply for Gaolers too, though their fans don't make much sense to me, they're so wooly, I don't get making them look like fish.
Adding one more suggestion to the pile.

Banescale Fans

dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=47&breed=18&element=2&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=45&tertgene=41&winggene=53&wings=45&auth=5a325fd1be4762b912d7b881b83e8fd6e6ce525c&dummyext=prev.png
Because we're so limited on Ancients their genes really need to be able to pull their weight on showcasing them.

This scry bane is Obs/gold/gold, with Marble/Toxin/Fans. But some kind of Fans version where it uses an accent color or serious shine as it is a gem gene and a super plain one for a gem gene at that would be very welcome. Something to add some extra character, like the color change mentioned or rips or tears in the membrane.

The same would probably apply for Gaolers too, though their fans don't make much sense to me, they're so wooly, I don't get making them look like fish.

Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30