Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [CYOA | BARGHEST] A Scattering Of Ashes
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 26
[center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/dtzW25kD/Grotesque-2-R.png[/img][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][b][color=transparent]/[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/20#post_55974826]DAY FOUR BATTLES & EPILOGUE[/url][color=transparent]/[/color][/b][/size][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zXLtHsf9/Grotesque-2-L.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/MpzRybFH/narrow1.png[/img][/center] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]H[/size][size=4]ochmael dips his head, his brow furrowed at the beast he'd chosen to fight. He'd thought it'd be easier, a beast made of shards of glass to chip away at with his weapons. Perhaps even his own claws or tail would find purchase? He wasn't alone either, with one of the other imperials by his side. There was a skydancer as well, with magic crackling at the tips of her claws. Surely they could beat something like this! And yet the figure's form flickered, swirling about like a dancing shadow. Nothing could find purchase unless the beast chose for it to, it seemed. He felt his blood run cold when it happened; teeth grazed his side, burning with a fire he didn't expect in this cold place. As the wolf retreated, he realized what had become of the settlers here. It seemed, in a way, he was destined to join them. He wouldn't become trapped in the mirrors like them, but... it was fitting, in a sense, for him to be turned here, in a palace of reflections. He'd become a reflection of the very wolves who fought him, whether he wanted to or not.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Ah. Cover the mirrors. I... I get it now."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]R[/size][size=4]azael wasn't faring much better, his staff spinning in his talons as he gives his all to try and drive the beast away. He'd literally been thrown at it, after all! Surely something would land! And yet, perhaps, his age was getting to him. Each swing was just too wide of their mark, each pass too slow against the hound before him. He could feel the graze of claws in his feathers, showing just how out of practice he was. Or were they teeth? He held up his staff, ready to try one final blow when, to his shock, the beast simply retreats into the wall. The coatl stares, stunned, before finding his feathers puffed right out.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"You're really going to just give up?! Not interesting enough for you?!"[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]H[/size][size=4]e may continue to let out his offended squawks at the retreating figure, but in the end he was relieved. Caladorn had fought beside him, and both of them had struggled. Imagining the other drake under the claws of that creature... He had a son. A family. Razael knew, deep down, he'd never have forgiven himself if the druidic healer had fallen in these halls. Perhaps it was better to have his pride wounded instead. It was certainly better than a broken body or two.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]R[/size][size=4]aphael, meanwhile, had thought luck would be on his side. Well, he'd thought it at first. Fire danced at his clawtips, flickering around Arrow to try and act as both a shield and a very painful strike to any who drew close. Then their wolf approached, scepter in hand, and he felt the fire in him fade. The name of the place returned to him as he stared at her, his heart seizing as he recalled his partner's stories of the palace of Moondore... and of the mage sisters who once ruled it. He was sloppy, in the end, using his wisps and fiery claws to try and desperately fend off the former mage. He felt teeth graze his side, but found his opening in the process. Claws caught the staff alongside Arrow, causing it to slip from the maw of the beast. He expected her to try and retrieve it, but instead the beast mocks them, then escapes through the walls of the throne room. He looked at the staff, then at his battered figure before letting out a weary sigh.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Guess we'll find out if you really can be cursed twice... Least I can say I was bit by royalty."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]H[/size][size=4]e looks around the room, watching as one of the others fetches the urn. It takes him a moment to realize the scryer in the center was glowing with starlight, ready to blaze to life with... He looks down at the scepter in his claws, glancing back at Arrow. Hochmael seems just as impressed as he realizes what they'll be doing now. Even Razael manages to calm his tirade, his eyes locked on what he knew was the key to this intricate piece of magic. As the others lay their claws on the scryer, Raphael can't help but smile, resting the scepter on the surface of what would bring them home.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Clawed at by royalty, and now activating a star scryer... The other s back home'll never believe I saw Sidereal, let alone got to use it."[/i][/size] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/8kWr908s/Untitled1.png[/img][/center] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]he trio are tired as they reach the monastery, glad to accept what supplies Father Herald provides for them. Raphael's the one to put it to use with his small group, though he does happily accept help from Konstantin. He offered to help Rogue as well, what with their last encounter. Perhaps a healer like himself was needed in this trying time. Then again... Hochmael was quieter than usual. Hadn't he fought beside Rogue in that place? When Raphael saw the scrape, he knew why the imperial had gone silent.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"... Guess we have more than one of us who got themselves double bit."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]he three were even quieter when Father Herald mentioned what was swiftly approaching. The full moon. All three knew what that meant. Razael's eyes warily flickered between his imperial companions, his heart sinking. Both were bit. If they didn't get this last urn before the full moon... They worried about what the priests here would do in the face of so many turned on this journey, whether they'd let the others leave or try and trap them somehow. It seemed they might have their answers sooner than they'd thought. The notion of what could go wrong turned their stomachs, to the point even Razael truly looked ill. Sure, his wings and crest were pale already, but he'd never truly looked the part of an old sickly coatl until now.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]hey'd decided to speak with those they knew. Caladorn, if he was available, or Cantor. Maybe they'd have some insight on the matter, or would have a clue as to what their next move should be. With the banquet fast approaching, the sand in their hourglass swiftly draining as the moon turned, they needed a plan. Something to fall back on if the worst came about. It was Hochmael who stopped them in their tracks, realizing they'd walked in on something between Kali and Caladorn. They didn't catch all of it, in the end, but they'd heard enough. Only a matter of time, and they knew very well what the full moon brought. They watched Kali storm off, realizing they may be just as likely to face their own companions on this journey when the moon sits at it's brightest in the sky. Razael is the one to find his voice, in the end, trying his best to hide his own worry.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Caladorn, dear? Are... Are you alright? I know that mirror fellow didn't really do much to us physically, but... well, not all wounds can be seen. The spirit needs to be tended to as well, after all, and I know this venture for ashes has been trying on all of us."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]R[/size][size=4]aphael does his best to stand by Hochmael, who seemed tense at Kali's words. They didn't want to fight her, in the end. Raphael remembered their laughter in Moondore, the words on stubborn family ringing in his ears. Just two tired old healers, trying to make it through this journey alive. The last thing he wanted to do was make enemies here, especially when he'd begun to see some of the others as friends.[/size] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zGphpbsj/narrow2.png[/img][/center] [columns][center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/L682LJVR/Square-3.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/yYpBP7fR/Vertical1.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/T1CxBxfZ/square1.png[/img][/center][nextcol][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=4][b]@cinderrain Raphael seems ill prepared for the fight with Kiuru, especially when he recognizes her rough description from the old stories of Moondore. He uses the scepter with Arrow, but worries over their shared injuries from the fight. @Kuroda Hochmael worries over the injuries Rogue sustained in the fight, feeling as though his old warning from Dhune had just come into play again. Raphael wonders if you can be doubly bit, and thinks he and Rogue may be among the few who can find out. Raphael doesn't quite realize his own bite from Moondore wasn't one that could spread the curse. Hochmael knows theirs likely can. All three of my dragons appreciate Konstantin's help in the meantime. @Dragonfire546 Hochmael appreciates Amoranwen's aid in the fight, though he feels they all were rather unlucky in the end. He thinks the skydancer may only be lucky to be a skydancer, seeing as he knows what the curse is to a degree. @Disillusionist Razael wants to discuss things with Cantor and Parvuil, but is distracted by a spat with two drakes he'd begun to consider friends. He intends to seek the pair out afterwards, though Raphael likely went to try and help patch them up from the fight in Moondore beforehand. @8BitFey Razael feels some guilt for how the fight with Morseth turns out. He's relieved Caladorn wasn't hurt, but doesn't exactly show it when he starts unleashing a tirade on the retreating Barghest. The trio try to approach the two after they reach the harbor once more, worried about what to do when the full moon arrives. Especially if they haven't finished their journey to find the remaining ashes before they have to face the full moon themselves. They're a little worried Kali might turn around and fight Hochmael and Raphael if they aren't done in time, but Razael seems to want to try and comfort Caladorn despite this.[/b][/size][/columns] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=4][b]EDIT:[/b] Fixed Title Formatting (text "DAY FOUR BATTLES & EPILOGUE" sizing fixed and post link corrected)
Hochmael dips his head, his brow furrowed at the beast he'd chosen to fight. He'd thought it'd be easier, a beast made of shards of glass to chip away at with his weapons. Perhaps even his own claws or tail would find purchase? He wasn't alone either, with one of the other imperials by his side. There was a skydancer as well, with magic crackling at the tips of her claws. Surely they could beat something like this! And yet the figure's form flickered, swirling about like a dancing shadow. Nothing could find purchase unless the beast chose for it to, it seemed. He felt his blood run cold when it happened; teeth grazed his side, burning with a fire he didn't expect in this cold place. As the wolf retreated, he realized what had become of the settlers here. It seemed, in a way, he was destined to join them. He wouldn't become trapped in the mirrors like them, but... it was fitting, in a sense, for him to be turned here, in a palace of reflections. He'd become a reflection of the very wolves who fought him, whether he wanted to or not.

"Ah. Cover the mirrors. I... I get it now."

Razael wasn't faring much better, his staff spinning in his talons as he gives his all to try and drive the beast away. He'd literally been thrown at it, after all! Surely something would land! And yet, perhaps, his age was getting to him. Each swing was just too wide of their mark, each pass too slow against the hound before him. He could feel the graze of claws in his feathers, showing just how out of practice he was. Or were they teeth? He held up his staff, ready to try one final blow when, to his shock, the beast simply retreats into the wall. The coatl stares, stunned, before finding his feathers puffed right out.

"You're really going to just give up?! Not interesting enough for you?!"

He may continue to let out his offended squawks at the retreating figure, but in the end he was relieved. Caladorn had fought beside him, and both of them had struggled. Imagining the other drake under the claws of that creature... He had a son. A family. Razael knew, deep down, he'd never have forgiven himself if the druidic healer had fallen in these halls. Perhaps it was better to have his pride wounded instead. It was certainly better than a broken body or two.

Raphael, meanwhile, had thought luck would be on his side. Well, he'd thought it at first. Fire danced at his clawtips, flickering around Arrow to try and act as both a shield and a very painful strike to any who drew close. Then their wolf approached, scepter in hand, and he felt the fire in him fade. The name of the place returned to him as he stared at her, his heart seizing as he recalled his partner's stories of the palace of Moondore... and of the mage sisters who once ruled it. He was sloppy, in the end, using his wisps and fiery claws to try and desperately fend off the former mage. He felt teeth graze his side, but found his opening in the process. Claws caught the staff alongside Arrow, causing it to slip from the maw of the beast. He expected her to try and retrieve it, but instead the beast mocks them, then escapes through the walls of the throne room. He looked at the staff, then at his battered figure before letting out a weary sigh.

"Guess we'll find out if you really can be cursed twice... Least I can say I was bit by royalty."

He looks around the room, watching as one of the others fetches the urn. It takes him a moment to realize the scryer in the center was glowing with starlight, ready to blaze to life with... He looks down at the scepter in his claws, glancing back at Arrow. Hochmael seems just as impressed as he realizes what they'll be doing now. Even Razael manages to calm his tirade, his eyes locked on what he knew was the key to this intricate piece of magic. As the others lay their claws on the scryer, Raphael can't help but smile, resting the scepter on the surface of what would bring them home.

"Clawed at by royalty, and now activating a star scryer... The other s back home'll never believe I saw Sidereal, let alone got to use it."
Untitled1.png
The trio are tired as they reach the monastery, glad to accept what supplies Father Herald provides for them. Raphael's the one to put it to use with his small group, though he does happily accept help from Konstantin. He offered to help Rogue as well, what with their last encounter. Perhaps a healer like himself was needed in this trying time. Then again... Hochmael was quieter than usual. Hadn't he fought beside Rogue in that place? When Raphael saw the scrape, he knew why the imperial had gone silent.

"... Guess we have more than one of us who got themselves double bit."

The three were even quieter when Father Herald mentioned what was swiftly approaching. The full moon. All three knew what that meant. Razael's eyes warily flickered between his imperial companions, his heart sinking. Both were bit. If they didn't get this last urn before the full moon... They worried about what the priests here would do in the face of so many turned on this journey, whether they'd let the others leave or try and trap them somehow. It seemed they might have their answers sooner than they'd thought. The notion of what could go wrong turned their stomachs, to the point even Razael truly looked ill. Sure, his wings and crest were pale already, but he'd never truly looked the part of an old sickly coatl until now.

They'd decided to speak with those they knew. Caladorn, if he was available, or Cantor. Maybe they'd have some insight on the matter, or would have a clue as to what their next move should be. With the banquet fast approaching, the sand in their hourglass swiftly draining as the moon turned, they needed a plan. Something to fall back on if the worst came about. It was Hochmael who stopped them in their tracks, realizing they'd walked in on something between Kali and Caladorn. They didn't catch all of it, in the end, but they'd heard enough. Only a matter of time, and they knew very well what the full moon brought. They watched Kali storm off, realizing they may be just as likely to face their own companions on this journey when the moon sits at it's brightest in the sky. Razael is the one to find his voice, in the end, trying his best to hide his own worry.

"Caladorn, dear? Are... Are you alright? I know that mirror fellow didn't really do much to us physically, but... well, not all wounds can be seen. The spirit needs to be tended to as well, after all, and I know this venture for ashes has been trying on all of us."

Raphael does his best to stand by Hochmael, who seemed tense at Kali's words. They didn't want to fight her, in the end. Raphael remembered their laughter in Moondore, the words on stubborn family ringing in his ears. Just two tired old healers, trying to make it through this journey alive. The last thing he wanted to do was make enemies here, especially when he'd begun to see some of the others as friends.
narrow2.png
Square-3.png
Vertical1.png
square1.png
@cinderrain Raphael seems ill prepared for the fight with Kiuru, especially when he recognizes her rough description from the old stories of Moondore. He uses the scepter with Arrow, but worries over their shared injuries from the fight.

@Kuroda Hochmael worries over the injuries Rogue sustained in the fight, feeling as though his old warning from Dhune had just come into play again. Raphael wonders if you can be doubly bit, and thinks he and Rogue may be among the few who can find out. Raphael doesn't quite realize his own bite from Moondore wasn't one that could spread the curse. Hochmael knows theirs likely can. All three of my dragons appreciate Konstantin's help in the meantime.

@Dragonfire546 Hochmael appreciates Amoranwen's aid in the fight, though he feels they all were rather unlucky in the end. He thinks the skydancer may only be lucky to be a skydancer, seeing as he knows what the curse is to a degree.

@Disillusionist Razael wants to discuss things with Cantor and Parvuil, but is distracted by a spat with two drakes he'd begun to consider friends. He intends to seek the pair out afterwards, though Raphael likely went to try and help patch them up from the fight in Moondore beforehand.

@8BitFey Razael feels some guilt for how the fight with Morseth turns out. He's relieved Caladorn wasn't hurt, but doesn't exactly show it when he starts unleashing a tirade on the retreating Barghest. The trio try to approach the two after they reach the harbor once more, worried about what to do when the full moon arrives. Especially if they haven't finished their journey to find the remaining ashes before they have to face the full moon themselves. They're a little worried Kali might turn around and fight Hochmael and Raphael if they aren't done in time, but Razael seems to want to try and comfort Caladorn despite this.

EDIT: Fixed Title Formatting
(text "DAY FOUR BATTLES & EPILOGUE" sizing fixed and post link corrected)
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
[center][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/21#post_55975897]EPILOGUE[/url][/b][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/82620458][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/826205/82620458p.png[/img][/url] [b][color=#41573e]C A L A D O R N [/b][/center] The old man would stare off a bit, clearly lost in his own thoughts before he could realize he had company. He's features would twitch a bit, blinking before turning to his new friends. [b][color=#41573e]" .... I am fine,"[/color][/b] He would say, almost in automatic respond, but it was clear to see the tiredness to his face, the sorrow behind the man's eyes. The features on the dragon where exhausted, but he felt like there was not much he could do as of now. [b][color=#41573e]"But, thank you for asking, it is appreciated."[/color][/b] He tries to give a smile, but his face just turns upwards, looking upon the full moon himself. [b][color=#41573e]" ... I, apologize deeply, for that, outburst between the two of us you saw,"[/color][/b] He would say sighing, as he turned to face the others back. [b][color=#41573e]"Both of us, should be more professional but Kali's anger is not without reason ... "[/color][/b] He shakes his head. [b][color=#41573e]"We have both seen the unbecoming of men into monsters, dragons turning into barghest, and it is always never a pretty sight."[/color][/b] He winces, almost, recalling the horrid shifting and shaking, of watching scales become fur, of the smell of blood and iron. He should only shudder. [b][color=#41573e]"I am not sure how many people have been bitten, how many imperials either,"[/color][/b] He'd admit, claws tensing around his staff. [b][color=#41573e]"Kali has not been marked once, and while I have had scraps, it's two hard to tell whether that incident in the well was merely stone, or truly claw."[/color][/b] He'd frown. [b][color=#41573e]"We don't- I, don't have enough answers, but we must, be on guard, as much as I wish we where all friends here, we must be careful."[/color][/b] He would go on. [b][color=#41573e]"I do not wish to hurt anyone, and I doubt neither does Kali, but I know she will not hesitate, if it comes between life and death."[/color][/b] Is all he can give back to Razael. [center]{@ClockworkEclipse}[/center] {Their doing FINE, their ALLLL doing soo fine, ahahah, maybe, hopefully, possibly.}
82620458p.png
C A L A D O R N

The old man would stare off a bit, clearly lost in his own thoughts before he could realize he had company. He's features would twitch a bit, blinking before turning to his new friends.

" .... I am fine," He would say, almost in automatic respond, but it was clear to see the tiredness to his face, the sorrow behind the man's eyes. The features on the dragon where exhausted, but he felt like there was not much he could do as of now. "But, thank you for asking, it is appreciated." He tries to give a smile, but his face just turns upwards, looking upon the full moon himself.

" ... I, apologize deeply, for that, outburst between the two of us you saw," He would say sighing, as he turned to face the others back. "Both of us, should be more professional but Kali's anger is not without reason ... " He shakes his head. "We have both seen the unbecoming of men into monsters, dragons turning into barghest, and it is always never a pretty sight." He winces, almost, recalling the horrid shifting and shaking, of watching scales become fur, of the smell of blood and iron. He should only shudder.

"I am not sure how many people have been bitten, how many imperials either," He'd admit, claws tensing around his staff. "Kali has not been marked once, and while I have had scraps, it's two hard to tell whether that incident in the well was merely stone, or truly claw." He'd frown.

"We don't- I, don't have enough answers, but we must, be on guard, as much as I wish we where all friends here, we must be careful." He would go on. "I do not wish to hurt anyone, and I doubt neither does Kali, but I know she will not hesitate, if it comes between life and death." Is all he can give back to Razael.

{Their doing FINE, their ALLLL doing soo fine, ahahah, maybe, hopefully, possibly.}
cQcx9mq.png q3Me7tJ.png BQZEXau.png hWPjBUy.png
(@ClockworkEclipse No interaction here, but since you mentioned Razael might be popping up again later, I just wanted to say you're welcome to start a conversation with my boys again. ^^) ------ [center][b]Day 4 - Versus [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/20#post_55974307]Maugrim[/url] & [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/20#post_55974764]Nadir[/url][/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65553076][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/655531/65553076.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52925150][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/529252/52925150.png[/img][/url][/center] "My pearl! [i]Agh![/i]" The beast moves faster than Cantor anticipated. One of its massive paws crashes against his side, and his pearl goes rolling across the floor as he gets tossed about. Pravuil, meanwhile, is having a much better time. The Tundra bellows several words of old sorcery, pulling heat from the air, spinning it into cords of fire. With a stomp that shakes the floor, he sends these whipping towards the darkly gleaming beast. They snap against her hide right as Yuki's attack hits, and Pravuil lets out a great "HAH!" of triumph as the beast explodes into glass and flowers. And Cantor, finally, thuds to the floor as two of the other dragons strike at the beast. With a gasp of relief, he covers his head with his wings, peeking through the gap as the beast explodes into shards of glass. His pearl is still intact, lying near the wall. He approaches it, but winces as pain lances up his leg. "I expected better from you, [i]ex[/i]-Chancellor. Ugh, and it marked you, too." Pravuil swaggers up, turning a critical eye on the scrape on Cantor's leg. "Unbelievable." Cantor tunes him out. He scoops up his pearl and deliberately turns his back on Pravuil, instead seeking out [b]Dynas[/b] (@chorderaos) and [b]Shun[/b] (@Kuroda). "You have my sincerest thanks. I'd never encountered a beast like that before, and truth be told, I wasn't sure what to do against it." He bows respectfully. "I would've sustained more than just a scrape if both of you hadn't been there." Pravuil similarly nods to [b]Yuki[/b] (though it must be said it's probably just to save face than out of any real gratitude). "An excellent show, madam! Huh, I daresay the ex-Chancellor here could learn a thing or two from you."
(@ClockworkEclipse No interaction here, but since you mentioned Razael might be popping up again later, I just wanted to say you're welcome to start a conversation with my boys again. ^^)

Day 4 - Versus Maugrim & Nadir
65553076.png 52925150.png

"My pearl! Agh!"

The beast moves faster than Cantor anticipated. One of its massive paws crashes against his side, and his pearl goes rolling across the floor as he gets tossed about.

Pravuil, meanwhile, is having a much better time. The Tundra bellows several words of old sorcery, pulling heat from the air, spinning it into cords of fire. With a stomp that shakes the floor, he sends these whipping towards the darkly gleaming beast. They snap against her hide right as Yuki's attack hits, and Pravuil lets out a great "HAH!" of triumph as the beast explodes into glass and flowers.

And Cantor, finally, thuds to the floor as two of the other dragons strike at the beast. With a gasp of relief, he covers his head with his wings, peeking through the gap as the beast explodes into shards of glass.

His pearl is still intact, lying near the wall. He approaches it, but winces as pain lances up his leg.

"I expected better from you, ex-Chancellor. Ugh, and it marked you, too." Pravuil swaggers up, turning a critical eye on the scrape on Cantor's leg. "Unbelievable."

Cantor tunes him out. He scoops up his pearl and deliberately turns his back on Pravuil, instead seeking out Dynas (@chorderaos) and Shun (@Kuroda).

"You have my sincerest thanks. I'd never encountered a beast like that before, and truth be told, I wasn't sure what to do against it." He bows respectfully. "I would've sustained more than just a scrape if both of you hadn't been there."

Pravuil similarly nods to Yuki (though it must be said it's probably just to save face than out of any real gratitude). "An excellent show, madam! Huh, I daresay the ex-Chancellor here could learn a thing or two from you."
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
[center][size=7] [b][font=sylfaen] DAY 5 - CIRQUE MACABRE[/b][/size] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/57909606][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/579097/57909606_350.png[/img][/url][/center] You don’t see much of Father Herald over the next few days, but the reprieve has given you and your comrades a chance to recover from your battle at Moondore. With the aid of several healing potions and spells, the majority of you are fully healed from any injuries you sustained. It is nearing evening when you receive a summons to return to the monastery. Father Herald is waiting when you arrive and he seems rather excited. “I have just received word regarding the location of the remaining ashes. A rather unusual place for them to end up. . . But we have reason to believe that they are in the possession of a traveling circus”. Rowan nods, “I have been collecting stories for a long time now - accounts from those who have encountered unusual phenomenon and in one of the most recent statements, there was mention of an urn that matches the description of what we’re searching for”. Father Herald pauses, tapping against the top of the wooden pulpit in thought. “I have never been to this circus, but there are rumors that it is coming to Oyster Harbor later tonight; I’ve already purchased tickets. Herald passes out slips of colorful paper to everyone in your party. You examine the ticket stub in your hand. It reads, “The Cirque Macabre” followed by a date that appears to be later this evening and a location on the outskirts of town. “I hope you’ve all brought spare costumes” Father Herald chuckles, “what a stroke of luck indeed!” A few of you attempt to explore the location earlier in the day and find that the grounds are still bare. You wonder if indeed the circus is still coming. Rowan discusses several locations described to him in the account he’d collected earlier. “It appears that within the circus, there is a carnival, a performance ring within the largest tent along with a carousel as the most notable attractions. Tell me, where will you choose to explore?” [b]> The ring > The carousel > The carnival [/b] You make your decision on where to explore and go to change into an outfit more suitable for the circus. The performance is still several hours away and gives you some time to prepare. You meet at the monastery again at sunset before leaving for your destination. [b]> Optional: Share a scry of your dragon’s circus outfit![/b] As dusk fades into night, you find yourselves arriving at the clearing at the top of the dunes, brittle driftwood and seagrass jutting up from the sand. At first, the clearing still looks empty, but as you venture closer, the ghostly outlines of several tents appear to materialize before you and a warm glow of light illuminates the dusky sky. You become aware of a sound, the eerie echo of circus music playing upon the air and as you approach, you notice a pale Coatl standing by the entrance to the gates. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/56952320][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/569524/56952320_350.png[/img][/url][/center] “Oh my what a large group tonight!” He comments, twirling the cane in his hands, “oh, but you are all so well dressed, we simply cannot refuse! Please, come inside, come inside! I see you’ve brought along a ticket, so you must be here for the show! And ooh what a grand show it is! The full moon is almost upon us, after all!” He ushers you in through the gates and you follow several visitors who seem to have found this place as well. You notice warily that many of the other guests seem somehow off. Nearly everyone has their face covered with a mask and their forms draped in costumery, but some seem to float through the circus, or walk as if they were caught in a trance. Once inside the gates, you look at the carnival and series of tents around you before dividing once more to explore. [b] DAY 6 MOODBOARD [/b] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/Th8wKlg.png[/img][/center] @pinglist-10810 It’ll be a bit of an awkward stretch at work, so day 5 will be up until rollover on the 20th at which point replies will be posted! I will update if there’s going to be a delay with posts, but hoping to have the whole story wrapped up by the 25th for January’s full moon!
DAY 5 - CIRQUE MACABRE
57909606_350.png

You don’t see much of Father Herald over the next few days, but the reprieve has given you and your comrades a chance to recover from your battle at Moondore. With the aid of several healing potions and spells, the majority of you are fully healed from any injuries you sustained. It is nearing evening when you receive a summons to return to the monastery. Father Herald is waiting when you arrive and he seems rather excited.

“I have just received word regarding the location of the remaining ashes. A rather unusual place for them to end up. . . But we have reason to believe that they are in the possession of a traveling circus”. Rowan nods, “I have been collecting stories for a long time now - accounts from those who have encountered unusual phenomenon and in one of the most recent statements, there was mention of an urn that matches the description of what we’re searching for”.

Father Herald pauses, tapping against the top of the wooden pulpit in thought. “I have never been to this circus, but there are rumors that it is coming to Oyster Harbor later tonight; I’ve already purchased tickets. Herald passes out slips of colorful paper to everyone in your party. You examine the ticket stub in your hand.

It reads, “The Cirque Macabre” followed by a date that appears to be later this evening and a location on the outskirts of town. “I hope you’ve all brought spare costumes” Father Herald chuckles, “what a stroke of luck indeed!”

A few of you attempt to explore the location earlier in the day and find that the grounds are still bare. You wonder if indeed the circus is still coming. Rowan discusses several locations described to him in the account he’d collected earlier. “It appears that within the circus, there is a carnival, a performance ring within the largest tent along with a carousel as the most notable attractions. Tell me, where will you choose to explore?”

> The ring
> The carousel
> The carnival

You make your decision on where to explore and go to change into an outfit more suitable for the circus. The performance is still several hours away and gives you some time to prepare. You meet at the monastery again at sunset before leaving for your destination.

> Optional: Share a scry of your dragon’s circus outfit!

As dusk fades into night, you find yourselves arriving at the clearing at the top of the dunes, brittle driftwood and seagrass jutting up from the sand. At first, the clearing still looks empty, but as you venture closer, the ghostly outlines of several tents appear to materialize before you and a warm glow of light illuminates the dusky sky. You become aware of a sound, the eerie echo of circus music playing upon the air and as you approach, you notice a pale Coatl standing by the entrance to the gates.

56952320_350.png

“Oh my what a large group tonight!” He comments, twirling the cane in his hands, “oh, but you are all so well dressed, we simply cannot refuse! Please, come inside, come inside! I see you’ve brought along a ticket, so you must be here for the show! And ooh what a grand show it is! The full moon is almost upon us, after all!” He ushers you in through the gates and you follow several visitors who seem to have found this place as well.

You notice warily that many of the other guests seem somehow off. Nearly everyone has their face covered with a mask and their forms draped in costumery, but some seem to float through the circus, or walk as if they were caught in a trance. Once inside the gates, you look at the carnival and series of tents around you before dividing once more to explore.

DAY 6 MOODBOARD
Th8wKlg.png

@Barghest CYOA

It’ll be a bit of an awkward stretch at work, so day 5 will be up until rollover on the 20th at which point replies will be posted! I will update if there’s going to be a delay with posts, but hoping to have the whole story wrapped up by the 25th for January’s full moon!
[center][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/21#post_55983396]Day 6 - Cirque Macabre[/b][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65553076][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/655531/65553076.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52925150][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/529252/52925150.png[/img][/url][/center] Over the next few days, Cantor notes with satisfaction how his injuries are healing. He'll probably retain a few scars, but will be able to move freely again once the wounds have fully closed. By then, he's also picked up enough to know that if he were an Imperial, he would probably have more to worry about. He scans the group of dragons as they all gather at the circus. [i]"What with all the scrapes we've gotten into, it's hard to tell who's been bitten and who just got scratched up a bit,"[/i] he thinks. He notices [b]Caladorn[/b] (@8BitFey) nearby and moves closer to the cloaked Imperial. "How are you faring, friend?" He smiles faintly and shoots a look at [b]Kali[/b]. "Have you both recovered from the skirmish at Moondore? I'm still feeling a little achy myself." Pravuil, as usual, isn't particularly curious about how the rest of the group is feeling. He shoves a ticket at Ichabod and looks deeper into the circus, snuffling noisily all the while. "This place reeks of weird magic...among other things. Right, Cantor, I'm off to the carousel. I'll meet up with you in the carnival." And with that, he plunges into the crowd. [b]Today's choices: Pravuil - the carousel Cantor - the carnival[/b]

Over the next few days, Cantor notes with satisfaction how his injuries are healing. He'll probably retain a few scars, but will be able to move freely again once the wounds have fully closed.

By then, he's also picked up enough to know that if he were an Imperial, he would probably have more to worry about. He scans the group of dragons as they all gather at the circus. "What with all the scrapes we've gotten into, it's hard to tell who's been bitten and who just got scratched up a bit," he thinks.

He notices Caladorn (@8BitFey) nearby and moves closer to the cloaked Imperial. "How are you faring, friend?" He smiles faintly and shoots a look at Kali. "Have you both recovered from the skirmish at Moondore? I'm still feeling a little achy myself."

Pravuil, as usual, isn't particularly curious about how the rest of the group is feeling. He shoves a ticket at Ichabod and looks deeper into the circus, snuffling noisily all the while.

"This place reeks of weird magic...among other things. Right, Cantor, I'm off to the carousel. I'll meet up with you in the carnival." And with that, he plunges into the crowd.

Today's choices:
Pravuil - the carousel
Cantor - the carnival
DAY FOUR - EPILOGUE [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83547669][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/835477/83547669.png[/img][/url] Mameluke is frustrated, whispers of [i]weakness[/i] dogging his every step as his teeth close around nothing. It's toying with them. Afterwards, he examines his injuries. Minimal - he's definitely had worse - but he worries for the members of the group who came away worse off, and for the first time goes to regroup with Arrow and Temper. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87557716][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/875578/87557716.png[/img][/url] Arrow, for her part, wrenched a wing muscle leaping out of the way. She ignores it, turning the scepter over in her paws. A magical artifact. Not the kind her parents taught her to steal, but something to show for all this, nonetheless. She glances over at the dragon she'd fought alongside. "They got you again, huh? I appreciate the backup with the fire. That was really neat." (@ClockworkEclipse) [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/86689331][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/866894/86689331.png[/img][/url] Temper wants to ask Minghui about communicating with the dead, but they're interrupted by the chaos. She takes a heavy blow to the shoulder, and avoids talking to anyone for the rest of the night, fixated worrying about how she can't shapeshift around the wound. (@Starwindrider , kind of - a mention of Minghui?)
DAY FOUR - EPILOGUE

83547669.png
Mameluke is frustrated, whispers of weakness dogging his every step as his teeth close around nothing. It's toying with them.

Afterwards, he examines his injuries. Minimal - he's definitely had worse - but he worries for the members of the group who came away worse off, and for the first time goes to regroup with Arrow and Temper.

87557716.png
Arrow, for her part, wrenched a wing muscle leaping out of the way. She ignores it, turning the scepter over in her paws. A magical artifact. Not the kind her parents taught her to steal, but something to show for all this, nonetheless.

She glances over at the dragon she'd fought alongside. "They got you again, huh? I appreciate the backup with the fire. That was really neat."
(@ClockworkEclipse)

86689331.png
Temper wants to ask Minghui about communicating with the dead, but they're interrupted by the chaos. She takes a heavy blow to the shoulder, and avoids talking to anyone for the rest of the night, fixated worrying about how she can't shapeshift around the wound.
(@Starwindrider , kind of - a mention of Minghui?)
adopt-sig.pngxxxrva7IHk.pngxxxroad-not-taken-button-90px.pngxxx4XpFW61.png
DAY FIVE [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83547669][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/835477/83547669.png[/img][/url] Mameluke declines to dress up for the circus. He's not here to stand out, and even though Arrow teases that he'll stick out like a sore thumb if he's [i]not[/i] dressed up, he has confidence in his ability to get lost in the sheer size of their group. He decides on the [b]ring[/b]. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87557716][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/875578/87557716.png[/img][/url] Arrow keeps a wary eye on the dazed guests - she has her own mask on, but it doesn't make her feel safe. Less armor and more prison uniform. She heads to investigate the [b]carnival[/b]. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=87557716&skin=17524&apparel=590,30823,15712,25205,34181,25202,25203,30824,25204,30821,30826,30828&xt=dressing.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/86689331][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/866894/86689331.png[/img][/url] Temper tries to catch Minghui again before they split up. "Did you say- were you talking about communicating with the dead? I didn't know anyone could do that!" She's definitely less shy now, and her eyes nearly sparkle with interest. She almost forgets to pick a location in the excitement, but turns her attention to the [b]carousel[/b]. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=86689331&skin=18558&apparel=589,35540,35534,35551,34160,743&xt=dressing.png[/img] (@Starwindrider)
DAY FIVE

83547669.png
Mameluke declines to dress up for the circus. He's not here to stand out, and even though Arrow teases that he'll stick out like a sore thumb if he's not dressed up, he has confidence in his ability to get lost in the sheer size of their group. He decides on the ring.

87557716.png
Arrow keeps a wary eye on the dazed guests - she has her own mask on, but it doesn't make her feel safe. Less armor and more prison uniform. She heads to investigate the carnival.

dragon?did=87557716&skin=17524&apparel=590,30823,15712,25205,34181,25202,25203,30824,25204,30821,30826,30828&xt=dressing.png

86689331.png
Temper tries to catch Minghui again before they split up. "Did you say- were you talking about communicating with the dead? I didn't know anyone could do that!" She's definitely less shy now, and her eyes nearly sparkle with interest.

She almost forgets to pick a location in the excitement, but turns her attention to the carousel.
dragon?did=86689331&skin=18558&apparel=589,35540,35534,35551,34160,743&xt=dressing.png
(@Starwindrider)
adopt-sig.pngxxxrva7IHk.pngxxxroad-not-taken-button-90px.pngxxx4XpFW61.png
Amora: the ring

Xeylth: the carousel
Amora: the ring

Xeylth: the carousel
tumblr_o95tvaQl9V1tv56zio6_250.png
Loki - They/Them - FR Time 0+
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
Call of the Deep Lineage Project
[center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/dtzW25kD/Grotesque-2-R.png[/img][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6][b][color=transparent]/[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/21#post_55983396]DAY FIVE CIRQUE MACABRE[/url][color=transparent]/[/color][/b][/size][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zXLtHsf9/Grotesque-2-L.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/MpzRybFH/narrow1.png[/img][/center] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]he trio take their time, patching up what they can of themselves. They're battered and worn, and worried all the same. Razael had simply nodded to Caladorn at what the old drake had said, accepting it for what it was. They knew too little of their own companions and their own wounds. Razael, at least, was convinced his two imperials were compromised on that front, at least. He promised to help as best he could, then went to make a plan of his own. Something that would, hopefully, help them if the full moon came too soon.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]he coatl had wanted to try and speak with Cantor and Parvuil, but worries about the impending shift of the moon took far too much time. With Hochmael now also likely among the ranks of those who could turn, the smaller drake had to prepare. At least one healer, certainly bit, and the largest of their entire lot, skilled in combat, would turn for the first time soon enough. He needed to be on his guard, and hope he could somehow protect them in the process.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]O[/size][size=4]f course fate had other plans for them. The Cirque Macabre, as it was introduced to them. However, if they were following the trend of beasts as they had before, with the full moon and all that entailed, this would perhaps be their most dangerous foray yet. Then again, that didn't stop Raphael from making the occasional joke about how, if they turned there, perhaps they could serve as cover for the rest who were searching for the urn. Maybe burn down a tent or two along the way. Hochmael, however, had other worries.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"You do know that, if this is a circus of beasts... we might just be running across something similar to that mane-faced creature back home."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]R[/size][size=4]aphael can only stare at that. Right. They had that one odd maned wolf, as he had been described, stalking the ruins of what had once been a home to the trio. Back when they knew so very little of the dragons that walk today, when aether danced among the stars and the bickering heads of an aberration were a common sight. He had a circus all his own, though it seemed a great deal smaller than this one they were to attend. And yet...[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Dears, Cirque Macabre quite literally translates to Circus of the Morbid, or of the Gruesome. A circus with the theme of horrific injury and, in some cases, death."[/i][/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]he trio fell silent at Razael's words, looking back on their journey so far. A cemetery with statues who followed wherever you went. A town with an old well where a tricky fox laid in wait of those who longed for more. A grand city lost to the sands of time, leaving nothing but illusions to echo where life had once been. A palace of what was once a grand hall of combatants, standing strong against the worst things Sornieth had ever seen before, left to become a home for the very things they fought against. It was Raphael who spoke up, in the end.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][i]"Y'know, all things considered... they're going to have to try [b]really hard[/b] to top the others. Compared to all those mirrors, a circus seems pretty tame to me."[/i][/size] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/8kWr908s/Untitled1.png[/img][/center] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]hey made their plans, found themselves something proper to wear, and made their way to the grounds. They had gone earlier, only to frown at the empty grounds. It only seemed to confirm their suspicions about this being akin to another creature's circus act, appearing on a whim and disappearing without a trace. At least they'd found a way to trap his own circus in the ruins, in a way, but this wouldn't likely be as easy. Especially if this happened to be where their own monstrous circus came from.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]T[/size][size=4]hey soon returned, waiting until sundown to go with the others to the circus themselves. It takes some time to get there, struggling somewhat to handle their new attire in the shifting sands by the pier. Hochmael had taken the scepter from Moondore, in a sense, to lean on as he walked. Raphael, with a grim sense of humor, had donned one of the old masks of plague doctors. He'd taken enough of a beating to poke fun at himself, apparently, what with the whole macabre bit and all. Razael had taken a more elegant approach, with his own fancy mask and illusory magic to add grasps of sorts. It was a flair on simple levitation spellwork, but it would do for their outing.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]O[/size][size=4]f course, they didn't change much. They hadn't expected this, and each had their own lucky charms they wished to keep on them. Razael kept his scrying orb, wishing to keep some form of contact with his partner back home. His scarf was the same, the vial with the moth and flower back on their own in his pocket. Raphael had tried to leave some of the snakes of Dhune behind, but one seemed to be determined to stay with him. He'd accepted it when the large fellow decided to try and play dead when he left him for a single minute. Hochmael had already been well adorned before this, but he still had his spear by his side, ready to take up arms against whatever struck at them. And yet he left the weapon he was most accustomed with behind, simply stating that he didn't wish to tempt fate so close to a full moon. Razael wouldn't deny that he felt somewhat better knowing that.[/size] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6]S[/size][size=4]oon enough they were staring at the tents, their eyes locked on the odd mirage-like carnival before them. Their eyes flit to the others in their group, clearly concerned about what they were to do. They had plans, after all, but there seemed to be others here. Visitors like themselves, perhaps? Or something more? Raphael had the uncanny feeling he knew some of the figures somehow, though he couldn't place it. Hochmael was wondering about how so many of them found masks to be fitting for the night, never knowing the faces of those who might strike you down. Razael, however, had his eyes on a single thing as soon as they reached the entrance. It seemed they knew where they were going to venture.[/size] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zGphpbsj/narrow2.png[/img][/center] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/NfVq28kj/avatar-border-top.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61101931][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/611020/61101931p.png[/img][/url][img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/RhZ5KXYN/Avatar-border-bottom.png[/img][nextcol][font=Monotype Corsiva][color=transparent]//[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Monotype Corsiva]Razael found his eyes drawn to the coatl taking their tickets, nodding along and ushering them in. There was something uncanny about the fellow, though he couldn't quite place it. He knew the superstitions about pallid feathers among coatls. He had to fight the stereotype every day of his life, what with his own ghostly wings. But this one... he was different, and Razael didn't quite know why. He watched as the other spoke, mentioning a show and the full moon. It didn't take him too long to realize what this ringmaster meant. He was a ringmaster, wasn't he? He had the hat and all. He shook his head, trying to focus. He grouped up with his two companions, his voice a whisper. "Seems the show is likely in the ring. If something goes wrong, it'll be there. However, we can't skip over the rest of the place. [b][u]I'll take the carnival,[/u][/b] seeing as I was at the fireflight one recently. Know my way around a vendor or two, and games for that matter." He can hear the two imperials protest, but doesn't seem to care. He's going to go someplace he knows best. After all, the little end-of-year festival is a specialty of his back home, when the lightflight readies itself for the start of their own new year. Gathering the students in their own booths to flaunt the wares they'd made over the year, with his own sweets stall drawing others in... That was where he shone. Surely this would be similar enough for him to work his magic and scrounge something up. He noticed Arrow and Cantor were traveling with him, causing the coatl to give his best smile. "Sorry Raphael didn't answer you back in the palace, dear. I think he was considering what it meant to be... well, twice-bitten. But he meant well." He then turns to Cantor, trying his best to keep a positive mindset. "At least I know this sort of setup well enough. Students host an end-of-year festival to show off how they've improved, and often come out of it with a few gems to their names. Least likely place for the aches from that castle to creep back up on you, unless you try the games." He pauses, thinking. "Then again, with this whole Cirque Macabre... might be best to avoid the food too. Just to be safe."[/columns] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/MpzRybFH/narrow1.png[/img][/center] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/NfVq28kj/avatar-border-top.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/47232154][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/472322/47232154p.png[/img][/url][img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/RhZ5KXYN/Avatar-border-bottom.png[/img][nextcol][font=Monotype Corsiva][color=transparent]//[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Monotype Corsiva]Raphael cannot help but stare at the circus itself, frowning as he peered about. He could feel those wisps draw closer, like a protective ring. A fiery doctor. Sure, he'd joked about it, but now that he was here, he couldn't shake the feeling of the macabre itself. He was familiar with death, sad as it may be. They ran a school, but in the end, he was a doctor to more than them. Sometimes, drakes in the city below would come for aid, perfect practice for the students in some cases. And sometimes, if they were unlucky, a hard lesson on how there are some drakes who cannot be saved. Yes, he knew death, and the feel it held over a place when someone passed there. This was similar, yet also not quite so. The visitors were strange, the pallid coatl seemed ever too eager to distract from it, and the air itself seemed to hold a thrill that didn't quite suit the whole Cirque part of the name as much as it did the Macabre bit. He sputtered at Razael's words, clearly offended by the idea of Hochmael going to the heart of it all, but the coatl was already off. He looked back to the other imperial, squinting a bit. "I get it, you fight a lot, but you realize you might be... y'know. And I'm the only one who's hit one of these cursed things before. [b][u]One has to be in the ring, so that's where I'm going.[/u][/b] Either you cover the carousel, or follow me." He hears Hochmael say something as he turns for the heart of the circus, though Raphael doesn't quite catch it. He manages a small grin as he realizes something else. "Y'know, firebreathers are a circus thing. Probably also in the ring. Wonder how they'll react to my fire in there." He notes the banescale from Dhune is with him, as well as the skydancer who fought beside Hochmael in Moondore. Seems he wasn't the only one drawn to the big top tent. He hoped, if there was a beast, it was one that would be easy for him to handle. Two of them had a fire to them, after all.[/columns] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zGphpbsj/narrow2.png[/img][/center] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/NfVq28kj/avatar-border-top.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67885654][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/678857/67885654p.png[/img][/url][img]https://i.postimg.cc/j23VXyVv/avatar-border-sides.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/RhZ5KXYN/Avatar-border-bottom.png[/img][nextcol][font=Monotype Corsiva][color=transparent]//[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Monotype Corsiva]Hochmael finds his eyes locked on the guests. They were uncanny at best, in the end. Mostly masked, and many with an odd look to them that caused his mane to rise like he was standing in a storm. He trusts Razael with the carnival, and can't help but hold back a smile when Raphael goes to the ring. He knows why the imperial chose that one. If there was another beast... well, third bite's a charm, right? If anyone were determined enough to figure out if more bites might cure this whole curse, it'd be Raphael and his own recklessness. Well, somewhat. He sighed, looking down at his own attire. "You know, I almost look like I belong on a carousel. Just need a silver stake." [u][b]He shakes his head, turning to the carousel to investigate there.[/b][/u] He notices a wildclaw he swore was named Xeylth comes along with him, as well as Pravuil and Temper. He cannot help his own snicker at her exclamation on communicating with the dead. "Oh it's true. Some of the scholars back home have mastered the art themselves. Bit uncanny, seeing as they're twins, but they make excellent guards when the need arises. Catch onto threats even I don't notice with the whole thing." He eyes Pravuil as they go, wondering if he knows something about that sort of magic. He can tell it's in the air, something tied to death in some way, but the smallest of their group seems to be able to sniff out magic. Perhaps it was that sense of smell most tundras boasted, tied so closely to their own memories even he wondered how they managed it sometimes. Perhaps he and his companion knew of the sort of magic surrounding death, life, and what came after? He figured it was best to keep an eye on him regardless.[/columns] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/MpzRybFH/narrow1.png[/img][/center] [columns][center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/L682LJVR/Square-3.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/yYpBP7fR/Vertical1.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/T1CxBxfZ/square1.png[/img][/center][nextcol][center][outfit=2475673] [outfit=2475675][outfit=2475677][/center][nextcol][center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/L682LJVR/Square-3.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/yYpBP7fR/Vertical1.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/T1CxBxfZ/square1.png[/img][/center][/columns] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zGphpbsj/narrow2.png[/img][/center] [columns][center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/yYMckCFm/extra-birb.png[/img][/center][nextcol][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=4][b]@cinderrain Hochmael caught Temper's exclamation as they went towards the carousel. He doesn't know how to commune with the dead all too well, if at all, but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61400002]two[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61400006]coatls[/url] who work under him know how to do just that, so he has some limited knowledge on the subject. Meanwhile, Razael apologizes to Arrow for Raphael and how he didn't answer her in Moondore. The big guy was probably overwhelmed by the star scryer. @Disillusionist Hochmael is curious about Parvuil's comment on weird magic, and how he seems to be smelling the place out. He thinks it might be a tundra thing, but is impressed by the notion he can possibly smell different types of magic. Meanwhile, Razael's willing to try and make some light conversation with Cantor about the carnival, mentioning how the school he teaches at has their own end-of-year carnival with stalls for goods students made over the school year. He's wary of this carnival, however.[/b][/columns] [font=Monotype Corsiva][size=4][b](Fun fact, I checked the sizes of the dragons participating, and Hochmael's the largest of the group. And right now he's with the smallest, Parvuil. I can't get the image of the big guy just watching him dart about the place following magic like a tiny fluffy bloodhound just telling himself "Remember your lesson with Razael. Tiny puffballs are to be left alone, for everyone's sake." the whole time.) EDIT:[/b] Fixed Broken Link (Day Five didn't link to the proper post)
The trio take their time, patching up what they can of themselves. They're battered and worn, and worried all the same. Razael had simply nodded to Caladorn at what the old drake had said, accepting it for what it was. They knew too little of their own companions and their own wounds. Razael, at least, was convinced his two imperials were compromised on that front, at least. He promised to help as best he could, then went to make a plan of his own. Something that would, hopefully, help them if the full moon came too soon.

The coatl had wanted to try and speak with Cantor and Parvuil, but worries about the impending shift of the moon took far too much time. With Hochmael now also likely among the ranks of those who could turn, the smaller drake had to prepare. At least one healer, certainly bit, and the largest of their entire lot, skilled in combat, would turn for the first time soon enough. He needed to be on his guard, and hope he could somehow protect them in the process.

Of course fate had other plans for them. The Cirque Macabre, as it was introduced to them. However, if they were following the trend of beasts as they had before, with the full moon and all that entailed, this would perhaps be their most dangerous foray yet. Then again, that didn't stop Raphael from making the occasional joke about how, if they turned there, perhaps they could serve as cover for the rest who were searching for the urn. Maybe burn down a tent or two along the way. Hochmael, however, had other worries.

"You do know that, if this is a circus of beasts... we might just be running across something similar to that mane-faced creature back home."

Raphael can only stare at that. Right. They had that one odd maned wolf, as he had been described, stalking the ruins of what had once been a home to the trio. Back when they knew so very little of the dragons that walk today, when aether danced among the stars and the bickering heads of an aberration were a common sight. He had a circus all his own, though it seemed a great deal smaller than this one they were to attend. And yet...

"Dears, Cirque Macabre quite literally translates to Circus of the Morbid, or of the Gruesome. A circus with the theme of horrific injury and, in some cases, death."

The trio fell silent at Razael's words, looking back on their journey so far. A cemetery with statues who followed wherever you went. A town with an old well where a tricky fox laid in wait of those who longed for more. A grand city lost to the sands of time, leaving nothing but illusions to echo where life had once been. A palace of what was once a grand hall of combatants, standing strong against the worst things Sornieth had ever seen before, left to become a home for the very things they fought against. It was Raphael who spoke up, in the end.

"Y'know, all things considered... they're going to have to try really hard to top the others. Compared to all those mirrors, a circus seems pretty tame to me."
Untitled1.png
They made their plans, found themselves something proper to wear, and made their way to the grounds. They had gone earlier, only to frown at the empty grounds. It only seemed to confirm their suspicions about this being akin to another creature's circus act, appearing on a whim and disappearing without a trace. At least they'd found a way to trap his own circus in the ruins, in a way, but this wouldn't likely be as easy. Especially if this happened to be where their own monstrous circus came from.

They soon returned, waiting until sundown to go with the others to the circus themselves. It takes some time to get there, struggling somewhat to handle their new attire in the shifting sands by the pier. Hochmael had taken the scepter from Moondore, in a sense, to lean on as he walked. Raphael, with a grim sense of humor, had donned one of the old masks of plague doctors. He'd taken enough of a beating to poke fun at himself, apparently, what with the whole macabre bit and all. Razael had taken a more elegant approach, with his own fancy mask and illusory magic to add grasps of sorts. It was a flair on simple levitation spellwork, but it would do for their outing.

Of course, they didn't change much. They hadn't expected this, and each had their own lucky charms they wished to keep on them. Razael kept his scrying orb, wishing to keep some form of contact with his partner back home. His scarf was the same, the vial with the moth and flower back on their own in his pocket. Raphael had tried to leave some of the snakes of Dhune behind, but one seemed to be determined to stay with him. He'd accepted it when the large fellow decided to try and play dead when he left him for a single minute. Hochmael had already been well adorned before this, but he still had his spear by his side, ready to take up arms against whatever struck at them. And yet he left the weapon he was most accustomed with behind, simply stating that he didn't wish to tempt fate so close to a full moon. Razael wouldn't deny that he felt somewhat better knowing that.

Soon enough they were staring at the tents, their eyes locked on the odd mirage-like carnival before them. Their eyes flit to the others in their group, clearly concerned about what they were to do. They had plans, after all, but there seemed to be others here. Visitors like themselves, perhaps? Or something more? Raphael had the uncanny feeling he knew some of the figures somehow, though he couldn't place it. Hochmael was wondering about how so many of them found masks to be fitting for the night, never knowing the faces of those who might strike you down. Razael, however, had his eyes on a single thing as soon as they reached the entrance. It seemed they knew where they were going to venture.
narrow2.png
avatar-border-sides.png61101931p.pngavatar-border-sides.png
// Razael found his eyes drawn to the coatl taking their tickets, nodding along and ushering them in. There was something uncanny about the fellow, though he couldn't quite place it. He knew the superstitions about pallid feathers among coatls. He had to fight the stereotype every day of his life, what with his own ghostly wings. But this one... he was different, and Razael didn't quite know why. He watched as the other spoke, mentioning a show and the full moon. It didn't take him too long to realize what this ringmaster meant. He was a ringmaster, wasn't he? He had the hat and all. He shook his head, trying to focus. He grouped up with his two companions, his voice a whisper. "Seems the show is likely in the ring. If something goes wrong, it'll be there. However, we can't skip over the rest of the place. I'll take the carnival, seeing as I was at the fireflight one recently. Know my way around a vendor or two, and games for that matter." He can hear the two imperials protest, but doesn't seem to care. He's going to go someplace he knows best. After all, the little end-of-year festival is a specialty of his back home, when the lightflight readies itself for the start of their own new year. Gathering the students in their own booths to flaunt the wares they'd made over the year, with his own sweets stall drawing others in... That was where he shone. Surely this would be similar enough for him to work his magic and scrounge something up. He noticed Arrow and Cantor were traveling with him, causing the coatl to give his best smile. "Sorry Raphael didn't answer you back in the palace, dear. I think he was considering what it meant to be... well, twice-bitten. But he meant well." He then turns to Cantor, trying his best to keep a positive mindset. "At least I know this sort of setup well enough. Students host an end-of-year festival to show off how they've improved, and often come out of it with a few gems to their names. Least likely place for the aches from that castle to creep back up on you, unless you try the games." He pauses, thinking. "Then again, with this whole Cirque Macabre... might be best to avoid the food too. Just to be safe."
narrow1.png
avatar-border-sides.png47232154p.pngavatar-border-sides.png
// Raphael cannot help but stare at the circus itself, frowning as he peered about. He could feel those wisps draw closer, like a protective ring. A fiery doctor. Sure, he'd joked about it, but now that he was here, he couldn't shake the feeling of the macabre itself. He was familiar with death, sad as it may be. They ran a school, but in the end, he was a doctor to more than them. Sometimes, drakes in the city below would come for aid, perfect practice for the students in some cases. And sometimes, if they were unlucky, a hard lesson on how there are some drakes who cannot be saved. Yes, he knew death, and the feel it held over a place when someone passed there. This was similar, yet also not quite so. The visitors were strange, the pallid coatl seemed ever too eager to distract from it, and the air itself seemed to hold a thrill that didn't quite suit the whole Cirque part of the name as much as it did the Macabre bit. He sputtered at Razael's words, clearly offended by the idea of Hochmael going to the heart of it all, but the coatl was already off. He looked back to the other imperial, squinting a bit. "I get it, you fight a lot, but you realize you might be... y'know. And I'm the only one who's hit one of these cursed things before. One has to be in the ring, so that's where I'm going. Either you cover the carousel, or follow me." He hears Hochmael say something as he turns for the heart of the circus, though Raphael doesn't quite catch it. He manages a small grin as he realizes something else. "Y'know, firebreathers are a circus thing. Probably also in the ring. Wonder how they'll react to my fire in there." He notes the banescale from Dhune is with him, as well as the skydancer who fought beside Hochmael in Moondore. Seems he wasn't the only one drawn to the big top tent. He hoped, if there was a beast, it was one that would be easy for him to handle. Two of them had a fire to them, after all.
narrow2.png
avatar-border-sides.png67885654p.pngavatar-border-sides.png
// Hochmael finds his eyes locked on the guests. They were uncanny at best, in the end. Mostly masked, and many with an odd look to them that caused his mane to rise like he was standing in a storm. He trusts Razael with the carnival, and can't help but hold back a smile when Raphael goes to the ring. He knows why the imperial chose that one. If there was another beast... well, third bite's a charm, right? If anyone were determined enough to figure out if more bites might cure this whole curse, it'd be Raphael and his own recklessness. Well, somewhat. He sighed, looking down at his own attire. "You know, I almost look like I belong on a carousel. Just need a silver stake." He shakes his head, turning to the carousel to investigate there. He notices a wildclaw he swore was named Xeylth comes along with him, as well as Pravuil and Temper. He cannot help his own snicker at her exclamation on communicating with the dead. "Oh it's true. Some of the scholars back home have mastered the art themselves. Bit uncanny, seeing as they're twins, but they make excellent guards when the need arises. Catch onto threats even I don't notice with the whole thing." He eyes Pravuil as they go, wondering if he knows something about that sort of magic. He can tell it's in the air, something tied to death in some way, but the smallest of their group seems to be able to sniff out magic. Perhaps it was that sense of smell most tundras boasted, tied so closely to their own memories even he wondered how they managed it sometimes. Perhaps he and his companion knew of the sort of magic surrounding death, life, and what came after? He figured it was best to keep an eye on him regardless.
narrow1.png
Square-3.png
Vertical1.png
square1.png
Cirque Macabre Razael

Cirque Macabre Raphael
Cirque Macabre Hochmael
Square-3.png
Vertical1.png
square1.png
narrow2.png
extra-birb.png
@cinderrain Hochmael caught Temper's exclamation as they went towards the carousel. He doesn't know how to commune with the dead all too well, if at all, but two coatls who work under him know how to do just that, so he has some limited knowledge on the subject. Meanwhile, Razael apologizes to Arrow for Raphael and how he didn't answer her in Moondore. The big guy was probably overwhelmed by the star scryer.

@Disillusionist Hochmael is curious about Parvuil's comment on weird magic, and how he seems to be smelling the place out. He thinks it might be a tundra thing, but is impressed by the notion he can possibly smell different types of magic. Meanwhile, Razael's willing to try and make some light conversation with Cantor about the carnival, mentioning how the school he teaches at has their own end-of-year carnival with stalls for goods students made over the school year. He's wary of this carnival, however.

(Fun fact, I checked the sizes of the dragons participating, and Hochmael's the largest of the group. And right now he's with the smallest, Parvuil. I can't get the image of the big guy just watching him dart about the place following magic like a tiny fluffy bloodhound just telling himself "Remember your lesson with Razael. Tiny puffballs are to be left alone, for everyone's sake." the whole time.)

EDIT:
Fixed Broken Link (Day Five didn't link to the proper post)
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
[center][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3286766/21#post_55989073]RP Response - @ClockworkEclipse[/b][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65553076][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/655531/65553076.png[/img][/url][/center] Cantor's face clouds over. "Ah...I had hoped that some of Raphael's injuries were due to other mishaps, not the beasts' fangs. "But it's good to have you with us, Razael. I can't say I'm familiar with circuses. I think I would have enjoyed studying at your school; my old life didn't leave me much time for leisure. This place is beautiful..." And he steps closer to Razael and [b]Arrow[/b] (@cinderrain), making sure to lower his voice. "But I don't like it here. Have you noticed the other fairgoers? Some of them, the way they walk...and the looks in their eyes. I get the feeling not everyone wants to be here...or even [i]realizes[/i] they're here." [center]~ ~ ~ [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52925150][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/529252/52925150.png[/img][/url][/center] One of Pravuil's ears rotates as he hear's [b]Temper's[/b] comment about communicating with the dead. He turns to give her and the others a slow, steady look. "I don't recommend it," he says, and for once his voice lacks its usual snide tone. "There's a whole host of things that can go wrong with that -- not necessarily to do with the dead, but rather with the power that's required to speak with them. If your mind's prepared, that's all well and good...but personally, I've never seen anything worthwhile come of it. Well..." And he looks briefly off to one side. "Not much, anyway." He passes near some stalls, taking a single deep, quiet breath as he does so. As he falls into step alongside Hochmael and the others again, he warns, speaking for their ears alone, "I'd be wary about talking with any of the friendly locals here. And definitely be careful if they make offers of any sort: drinks, discounts, [i]anything.[/i] Something doesn't smell right. Plenty of illusions...and there's some [i]binding[/i] mixed in as well." ((@ClockworkEclipse For Pravuil, it's a bit of both! Innate Tundra senses amplified by years of training and magic. He [i]is[/i] an explosive little fluffball though. And I like to imagine that to the gigantic Hochmael, he probably sounds like a squeaky little chipmunk. x3 ))

Cantor's face clouds over. "Ah...I had hoped that some of Raphael's injuries were due to other mishaps, not the beasts' fangs.

"But it's good to have you with us, Razael. I can't say I'm familiar with circuses. I think I would have enjoyed studying at your school; my old life didn't leave me much time for leisure. This place is beautiful..."

And he steps closer to Razael and Arrow (@cinderrain), making sure to lower his voice. "But I don't like it here. Have you noticed the other fairgoers? Some of them, the way they walk...and the looks in their eyes. I get the feeling not everyone wants to be here...or even realizes they're here."
~ ~ ~
52925150.png
One of Pravuil's ears rotates as he hear's Temper's comment about communicating with the dead. He turns to give her and the others a slow, steady look.

"I don't recommend it," he says, and for once his voice lacks its usual snide tone. "There's a whole host of things that can go wrong with that -- not necessarily to do with the dead, but rather with the power that's required to speak with them. If your mind's prepared, that's all well and good...but personally, I've never seen anything worthwhile come of it. Well..." And he looks briefly off to one side. "Not much, anyway."

He passes near some stalls, taking a single deep, quiet breath as he does so. As he falls into step alongside Hochmael and the others again, he warns, speaking for their ears alone, "I'd be wary about talking with any of the friendly locals here. And definitely be careful if they make offers of any sort: drinks, discounts, anything. Something doesn't smell right. Plenty of illusions...and there's some binding mixed in as well."

((@ClockworkEclipse For Pravuil, it's a bit of both! Innate Tundra senses amplified by years of training and magic. He is an explosive little fluffball though.
And I like to imagine that to the gigantic Hochmael, he probably sounds like a squeaky little chipmunk. x3 ))
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 26