Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | "Second Edition" Retired Familiars
Mods can we PLEASE move these threads to Suggestions, I don't know why they've been allowed to sit in FRD so long.
Mods can we PLEASE move these threads to Suggestions, I don't know why they've been allowed to sit in FRD so long.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
[quote name="TheWhiteHart" date="2024-07-19 21:01:27" ] I don't understand why some people feel so entitled to a Light Sprite -- but never any of the other sprites. It's always and only the Light Sprite, the most expensive one. When players brought this up a while ago, the reasoning was the inability to complete the bestiary, or that they wanted the line art; that's why they wanted a light sprite. So staff created Fionna. Staff gave us nymphs. So now you can have the line art and now you can awaken the familiars. Look, I get wanting something that's rare and/or impossible to get. I, for one, would love a 3 digit G1 Imperial. I'd love a 2 letter named dragon. I'd like to get my hands on some of the lovely dragons locked away in inactive and banned accounts. But ... that's not happening. Having a Light Sprite won't make you happy. Enjoying what you do have will. [/quote] I don't think it's being entitled- most people aren't asking for the familiar for free. They're just asking that it be "new cheap laptop" price range, not "a month of rent in a big city". (And... I low-key agree that it's weird this thread isn't in Suggestions. Hm.)
TheWhiteHart wrote on 2024-07-19 21:01:27:
I don't understand why some people feel so entitled to a Light Sprite -- but never any of the other sprites. It's always and only the Light Sprite, the most expensive one. When players brought this up a while ago, the reasoning was the inability to complete the bestiary, or that they wanted the line art; that's why they wanted a light sprite.

So staff created Fionna. Staff gave us nymphs. So now you can have the line art and now you can awaken the familiars.

Look, I get wanting something that's rare and/or impossible to get. I, for one, would love a 3 digit G1 Imperial. I'd love a 2 letter named dragon. I'd like to get my hands on some of the lovely dragons locked away in inactive and banned accounts. But ... that's not happening.

Having a Light Sprite won't make you happy. Enjoying what you do have will.

I don't think it's being entitled- most people aren't asking for the familiar for free. They're just asking that it be "new cheap laptop" price range, not "a month of rent in a big city".

(And... I low-key agree that it's weird this thread isn't in Suggestions. Hm.)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, if you have a response to what I said!
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I get what you mean. This is like in Pokémon card trading, where first editions of classic cards go for a lot of money and are distinguishable by their ‘edition one’ stamp on them, but since the original release, other ‘versions’ of the same card have released for those that just want that particular card in their collection without the ridiculous price tag. Those cards are often visually the same other than a marking that indicates it’s print run — ie a 2, a Pikachu sticker for the anniversary additions, etc.

All in all I wouldn’t be apposed to this idea for extra collectible familiars ie kickstarters. They’re near unattainable at this point. Having a second limited run with a differing aspect to them would be good in allowing those that just want the familiar for their collection to collect it, whilst still maintaining the rarity of the original kickstarter run. I don’t think it should take the same slot in the bestiary however, but maybe those earlier editions could have their own special bestiary entry instead that only activates when and if you obtain the original.

As for the likes of sprites, I just think they should have an opportunity to be rereleased into the market, even as an incredibly rare drop in Joxars or limited run for a special event. A shame we never had them return for the tenth anniversary tbh, as that would have been perfect.
I get what you mean. This is like in Pokémon card trading, where first editions of classic cards go for a lot of money and are distinguishable by their ‘edition one’ stamp on them, but since the original release, other ‘versions’ of the same card have released for those that just want that particular card in their collection without the ridiculous price tag. Those cards are often visually the same other than a marking that indicates it’s print run — ie a 2, a Pikachu sticker for the anniversary additions, etc.

All in all I wouldn’t be apposed to this idea for extra collectible familiars ie kickstarters. They’re near unattainable at this point. Having a second limited run with a differing aspect to them would be good in allowing those that just want the familiar for their collection to collect it, whilst still maintaining the rarity of the original kickstarter run. I don’t think it should take the same slot in the bestiary however, but maybe those earlier editions could have their own special bestiary entry instead that only activates when and if you obtain the original.

As for the likes of sprites, I just think they should have an opportunity to be rereleased into the market, even as an incredibly rare drop in Joxars or limited run for a special event. A shame we never had them return for the tenth anniversary tbh, as that would have been perfect.
BodY2oF.png
8ugeV0V.png
MLr9Cke.png
eAFcZYW.png
WKlFF60.png
5hF3FGk.png
WvEXipG.png
A35Gt59.png
YMPbu9R.png
[quote name="TheWhiteHart" date="2024-07-19 21:01:27" ] I don't understand why some people feel so entitled to a Light Sprite -- but never any of the other sprites. It's always and only the Light Sprite, the most expensive one. When players brought this up a while ago, the reasoning was the inability to complete the bestiary, or that they wanted the line art; that's why they wanted a light sprite. So staff created Fionna. Staff gave us nymphs. So now you can have the line art and now you can awaken the familiars. Look, I get wanting something that's rare and/or impossible to get. I, for one, would love a 3 digit G1 Imperial. I'd love a 2 letter named dragon. I'd like to get my hands on some of the lovely dragons locked away in inactive and banned accounts. But ... that's not happening. Having a Light Sprite won't make you happy. Enjoying what you do have will. [/quote] Speak for yourself. Having a Light Sprite would make me quite happy. Calling the desire for a digital item "entitlement" is quite funny, though. It would only be entitled if you were demanding that you get one at the expense of someone else. Most people are advocating to just make them available and affordable. Also: most people reference the Light Sprite bc it was the first, the least available, and now the most inflated. Most people do want the FULL set, hey how are you, but it's easier to talk about a single than a group sometimes. All that said: second editions wouldn't fix the problem and would only make the lack of the real thing more glaring. I think that staff should just make all the sprites available. To heck with it. I think it's caused enough strife.
TheWhiteHart wrote on 2024-07-19 21:01:27:
I don't understand why some people feel so entitled to a Light Sprite -- but never any of the other sprites. It's always and only the Light Sprite, the most expensive one. When players brought this up a while ago, the reasoning was the inability to complete the bestiary, or that they wanted the line art; that's why they wanted a light sprite.

So staff created Fionna. Staff gave us nymphs. So now you can have the line art and now you can awaken the familiars.

Look, I get wanting something that's rare and/or impossible to get. I, for one, would love a 3 digit G1 Imperial. I'd love a 2 letter named dragon. I'd like to get my hands on some of the lovely dragons locked away in inactive and banned accounts. But ... that's not happening.

Having a Light Sprite won't make you happy. Enjoying what you do have will.

Speak for yourself. Having a Light Sprite would make me quite happy.

Calling the desire for a digital item "entitlement" is quite funny, though. It would only be entitled if you were demanding that you get one at the expense of someone else. Most people are advocating to just make them available and affordable.

Also: most people reference the Light Sprite bc it was the first, the least available, and now the most inflated. Most people do want the FULL set, hey how are you, but it's easier to talk about a single than a group sometimes.

All that said: second editions wouldn't fix the problem and would only make the lack of the real thing more glaring. I think that staff should just make all the sprites available. To heck with it. I think it's caused enough strife.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'd rather the devs give retired familiars new and different art (different pose, etc) and release that as a separate item. The reason I'd like a Light Sprite is not because of a desire to complete my bestiary, though I admit I may be in the minority here. It's simply because it's one of my favorite sprites, and the Bubble Nymph doesn't satisfy that itch because, well, it's not a Light Sprite (very much a we have x at home situation). Re-releasing these creatures as an entirely separate familiar with new art would be the best compromise, in my opinion, because I'd get to use a light sprite as a familiar while the Light Sprite item retains its value since no new ones have been added into circulation.

Edit: Basically the familiar is retired but the design is not.
I'd rather the devs give retired familiars new and different art (different pose, etc) and release that as a separate item. The reason I'd like a Light Sprite is not because of a desire to complete my bestiary, though I admit I may be in the minority here. It's simply because it's one of my favorite sprites, and the Bubble Nymph doesn't satisfy that itch because, well, it's not a Light Sprite (very much a we have x at home situation). Re-releasing these creatures as an entirely separate familiar with new art would be the best compromise, in my opinion, because I'd get to use a light sprite as a familiar while the Light Sprite item retains its value since no new ones have been added into circulation.

Edit: Basically the familiar is retired but the design is not.
- G1s for sale
- LF any combo of abyss, copper, spruce and other dream g1s
Lot of good responses here. I'm very interested in people's perspectives on this and the why/why not.

As for why I didn't post this in suggestions, whoops! A mod could move it for me, I wouldn't mind.

Lot of good responses here. I'm very interested in people's perspectives on this and the why/why not.

As for why I didn't post this in suggestions, whoops! A mod could move it for me, I wouldn't mind.

Sapling-Speaker.png
xxxxx17LNzUR.pngeswSnrS.pngQQc3RqI.pngrix3ppo.png
xxxxxSprouting-Goblin.png
I joined 2016 and bought my LS for an already inflated (but at least still manageable) prize. Honestly, I'm still team "put them in jox box".

Leaving them out just because feels weird and only artificially inflates them more in comparison to literally every other fest item there is.

For those who are scared, that the sprites will lose all value: just look at the Luminous Halos and how consistently expensive those are despite their inclusion in The Box. The lowest on the AH sits at a comfortable 2,3kg and they dropped in 2018...

I don't really see the sprites becoming a second Bear-apocalypse the minute they are back in rotation via Joxar. That's unlikely simply by virtue of being absolutely drowned in all the other items that we get (paired with only getting one box per player per fest).

Edit: And yeah, this thread and the other one should probably be in Suggestions, lol.
I joined 2016 and bought my LS for an already inflated (but at least still manageable) prize. Honestly, I'm still team "put them in jox box".

Leaving them out just because feels weird and only artificially inflates them more in comparison to literally every other fest item there is.

For those who are scared, that the sprites will lose all value: just look at the Luminous Halos and how consistently expensive those are despite their inclusion in The Box. The lowest on the AH sits at a comfortable 2,3kg and they dropped in 2018...

I don't really see the sprites becoming a second Bear-apocalypse the minute they are back in rotation via Joxar. That's unlikely simply by virtue of being absolutely drowned in all the other items that we get (paired with only getting one box per player per fest).

Edit: And yeah, this thread and the other one should probably be in Suggestions, lol.
9-F6-B0762-E746-471-B-9-A5-C-C2-D0-B32-B0-BB9.png
[quote name="hinotoriii" date="2024-07-20 07:46:05" ] I get what you mean. This is like in Pokémon card trading, where first editions of classic cards go for a lot of money and are distinguishable by their ‘edition one’ stamp on them, but since the original release, other ‘versions’ of the same card have released for those that just want that particular card in their collection without the ridiculous price tag. Those cards are often visually the same other than a marking that indicates it’s print run — ie a 2, a Pikachu sticker for the anniversary additions, etc. [/quote] I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards. Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field.
hinotoriii wrote on 2024-07-20 07:46:05:
I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards.

Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
Total support. I think I've seen very similar suggestion quite a while before and I support them as well. Maybe called reprint or something like that.

If this becomes a real thing, maybe from then on Roundsey would only give out the reprints? This way, no more copies of the retired items would be made. This allows players who just wants to complete their bestiary to acquire the familiars without devaluing the original copies. For the hardcore collectors they would still have something to chase after and be proud of owning something that's a part of FR history.

(I don't take recolors as substitute of the original items. They look drastically different, have different names and takes up different spot in the bestiary, they simply don't have the same function. While we can awaken the familiars through Fiona, it won't light up the background in your bestiary if you don't own it in your hoard, it's not complete. )
Total support. I think I've seen very similar suggestion quite a while before and I support them as well. Maybe called reprint or something like that.

If this becomes a real thing, maybe from then on Roundsey would only give out the reprints? This way, no more copies of the retired items would be made. This allows players who just wants to complete their bestiary to acquire the familiars without devaluing the original copies. For the hardcore collectors they would still have something to chase after and be proud of owning something that's a part of FR history.

(I don't take recolors as substitute of the original items. They look drastically different, have different names and takes up different spot in the bestiary, they simply don't have the same function. While we can awaken the familiars through Fiona, it won't light up the background in your bestiary if you don't own it in your hoard, it's not complete. )
Just a heads-up: I usually delete the threads I made before it reaches 10 replies because I want to keep my forum history tidy.
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-07-20 09:50:05" ] I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards. Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field. [/quote] My line of thought behind this is that there seem to be older players who very badly want these rare items to complete their Bestiary which unlocks an achievement, but rare and high value items are good for the site because they encourage gem purchases. So a lot of people want this rare item for a game mechanics purpose, not simply because it's a rare cool status symbol. A "second edition" like in TCG's would allow more people to access the completion features that having the item locks, which is mechanical gameplay. Small, but evidently significant emotionally to that set of players. [size=2](Fully unrelated tangent but I wish Familiars would help you in the coliseum by providing a passive stat bonus or something so they did do more but that's not really what this site seems to have ever had in mind for them. Maybe in the Adventure mode I keep reading about.)[/size]
Achaius wrote on 2024-07-20 09:50:05:
I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards.

Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field.

My line of thought behind this is that there seem to be older players who very badly want these rare items to complete their Bestiary which unlocks an achievement, but rare and high value items are good for the site because they encourage gem purchases.

So a lot of people want this rare item for a game mechanics purpose, not simply because it's a rare cool status symbol. A "second edition" like in TCG's would allow more people to access the completion features that having the item locks, which is mechanical gameplay. Small, but evidently significant emotionally to that set of players.

(Fully unrelated tangent but I wish Familiars would help you in the coliseum by providing a passive stat bonus or something so they did do more but that's not really what this site seems to have ever had in mind for them. Maybe in the Adventure mode I keep reading about.)
Sapling-Speaker.png
xxxxx17LNzUR.pngeswSnrS.pngQQc3RqI.pngrix3ppo.png
xxxxxSprouting-Goblin.png