Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | "Second Edition" Retired Familiars
[quote name="Cakeless" date="2024-07-20 11:14:14" ] No. Let retired items be just that: retired. [/quote] The issue with this kind of statement is that "retired" digital items are retired artificially. There's not a true scarcity. The only reason the y1 festival familiars are retired is because staff says so -- and "because staff said so" is not really a convincing argument when they could wire a full set of Sprites to every account with a system they've already designed to mass deliver gifts. Not to mention that those of us who were around for some of y1 had no idea that the Sprites were going to be retired until it was, what, almost half way through the year or something? And then Bearpocalypse was the over-correction. Personally I think that only KS items should be officially "retired" on site. Everything else should be available to players through a site mechanic that does not involve other players.
Cakeless wrote on 2024-07-20 11:14:14:
No. Let retired items be just that: retired.

The issue with this kind of statement is that "retired" digital items are retired artificially. There's not a true scarcity. The only reason the y1 festival familiars are retired is because staff says so -- and "because staff said so" is not really a convincing argument when they could wire a full set of Sprites to every account with a system they've already designed to mass deliver gifts.

Not to mention that those of us who were around for some of y1 had no idea that the Sprites were going to be retired until it was, what, almost half way through the year or something? And then Bearpocalypse was the over-correction.

Personally I think that only KS items should be officially "retired" on site. Everything else should be available to players through a site mechanic that does not involve other players.

Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
This is why I've given up on familiar collecting more or less and now focus more on the dragon breeding and dragon collecting part of Flight Rising. Too many frustrating moments and not everyone will be pleased no matter what decision is made relating to retired familiars. This discussion will likely exist forever.
This is why I've given up on familiar collecting more or less and now focus more on the dragon breeding and dragon collecting part of Flight Rising. Too many frustrating moments and not everyone will be pleased no matter what decision is made relating to retired familiars. This discussion will likely exist forever.
Neurodivergent Nonbinary Adult
Any Pronouns, No Preference

I have a processing disorder and I'm notoriously awful at math so patience is highly appreciated.

Feel free to ping me; I appreciate serious and silly pings!

My Questboard and Wishlist!
Just stumbled upon this thread and its definitely a very interesting read. I had no idea this was such a hot topic! Im pro re-color just because I enjoy being able to see older items reincarnated and back in circulation. Those who weren't able to get their hands on the real deal could still enjoy the faux versions without the originals losing their value :)
Just stumbled upon this thread and its definitely a very interesting read. I had no idea this was such a hot topic! Im pro re-color just because I enjoy being able to see older items reincarnated and back in circulation. Those who weren't able to get their hands on the real deal could still enjoy the faux versions without the originals losing their value :)
BkLX97a.pngBkLX97a.png
The comparison with Pokemon and trading cards has come up a lot but I still don't really like the 'second edition' familiars being discussed here.

Like let's say the original Light Sprite has holographic foil and the second edition doesn't, but whichever version you have is still a functional Light Sprite card in your deck.

Well... that's what we have? Awakening a Light Sprite you own will give you the starry background in the bestiary, and awakening a Light Sprite through Fiona doesn't, but BOTH will fill out that slot in your collection.

And I won't get into here since it's barely on topic but for context on my overall perspectives:
  • I'm a player who currently owns all of the retired familiars
  • I love going after impossibly hard-to-acquire items/goals in games; this is how I have fun and yes I do think there should always be some kind of impossibly hard-to-acquire items/goals in FR.
  • That being said, another player having A Nice Thing doesn't take away from me having A Nice Thing
  • I'm really passionate about FR's virtual economy- it is actually really important to manage properly
  • I have lots of ideas on how we could put retired items back into circulation, second edition just isn't how I'd go about it
The comparison with Pokemon and trading cards has come up a lot but I still don't really like the 'second edition' familiars being discussed here.

Like let's say the original Light Sprite has holographic foil and the second edition doesn't, but whichever version you have is still a functional Light Sprite card in your deck.

Well... that's what we have? Awakening a Light Sprite you own will give you the starry background in the bestiary, and awakening a Light Sprite through Fiona doesn't, but BOTH will fill out that slot in your collection.

And I won't get into here since it's barely on topic but for context on my overall perspectives:
  • I'm a player who currently owns all of the retired familiars
  • I love going after impossibly hard-to-acquire items/goals in games; this is how I have fun and yes I do think there should always be some kind of impossibly hard-to-acquire items/goals in FR.
  • That being said, another player having A Nice Thing doesn't take away from me having A Nice Thing
  • I'm really passionate about FR's virtual economy- it is actually really important to manage properly
  • I have lots of ideas on how we could put retired items back into circulation, second edition just isn't how I'd go about it
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
I've already personally come to terms with using Fiona to one day complete our bestiary - awaken as much familiars as possible on our own, and then rely on her bias towards unawakened familiars to help get us the rest of the way there - so I don't really feel like I have any skin in this game, because I've just accepted the reality of certain items being 100% outside of my reach

I would definitely appreciate either the "2nd edition" type familiar, or at least be happy with those older exclusive things being added to the joxbox. it personally feels weird having items that are strictly finite in most terms - but then can be added to roundsey when they please? I know this is probably on purpose, because it means that the dev team is in charge of how many can enter the economy, but there's ALREADY a hard limit on joxbox purchases so that's in place as is

idk. I'd love a fire sprite someday, even if it were some "fake" second edition that's looking the other way. but I don't know how much of the playerbase is made up of collectors who might get upset about that
I've already personally come to terms with using Fiona to one day complete our bestiary - awaken as much familiars as possible on our own, and then rely on her bias towards unawakened familiars to help get us the rest of the way there - so I don't really feel like I have any skin in this game, because I've just accepted the reality of certain items being 100% outside of my reach

I would definitely appreciate either the "2nd edition" type familiar, or at least be happy with those older exclusive things being added to the joxbox. it personally feels weird having items that are strictly finite in most terms - but then can be added to roundsey when they please? I know this is probably on purpose, because it means that the dev team is in charge of how many can enter the economy, but there's ALREADY a hard limit on joxbox purchases so that's in place as is

idk. I'd love a fire sprite someday, even if it were some "fake" second edition that's looking the other way. but I don't know how much of the playerbase is made up of collectors who might get upset about that
tumblr_osyumbq9JU1v8lm95o3_100.gif
ePOliyb.png
xuKF4fL.png
J7D1quC.png

check out our Molten Records Hatchery!

I hope today is kind to you!!
G8AyR6r.png
DoQJ9XF.png
5srIc0i.png

tumblr_osyumbq9JU1v8lm95o4_100.gif
I just want recolored Skycat :/
I just want recolored Skycat :/
Orca | they/he
Please check dragon profiles for pronouns before mentioning them!
why is this in flight rising discussion and not in the suggestion forums lmao???
why is this in flight rising discussion and not in the suggestion forums lmao???
————————
— Cha
— they/them
Skin Shop
Wishlist
Eot-S-icon.png
x
Witch-s-heart-icon.png
x
Untitled1954.png
My take on this is, adding a 2.0 wouldn't change peoples desire for an OG Light Sprite.

It's ONLY the Light Sprite that comes up, because this is the Sprite that is the most expensive/scarce due to it being the FIRST fest familiar - not just because people don't want the other Sprites too, its just this one is rarer due to the fact that FR was in its infancy, sign ups were only in registration windows & back then the site was apparently, very laggy, causing people issues farming the Brightshine holiday currency.

Idk I still think they should just be re-released in JoxBox. Staff gave no real reason behind them retiring in the first place, and it was never mentioned at the time of release that they WOULD be retired. Excluding them (and the other missing Fest Items) from JoxBox, at this point, just feels pretty weird? Particularly given the fact that the drop chance would be so low as there are so many other items in there - and it would get lower over time as more items are added.

Everyone is obsessed with the Light Sprite xD I personally wouldn't mind having one but I never had the desire to save for one, so it's neither here nor there for me personally.
My take on this is, adding a 2.0 wouldn't change peoples desire for an OG Light Sprite.

It's ONLY the Light Sprite that comes up, because this is the Sprite that is the most expensive/scarce due to it being the FIRST fest familiar - not just because people don't want the other Sprites too, its just this one is rarer due to the fact that FR was in its infancy, sign ups were only in registration windows & back then the site was apparently, very laggy, causing people issues farming the Brightshine holiday currency.

Idk I still think they should just be re-released in JoxBox. Staff gave no real reason behind them retiring in the first place, and it was never mentioned at the time of release that they WOULD be retired. Excluding them (and the other missing Fest Items) from JoxBox, at this point, just feels pretty weird? Particularly given the fact that the drop chance would be so low as there are so many other items in there - and it would get lower over time as more items are added.

Everyone is obsessed with the Light Sprite xD I personally wouldn't mind having one but I never had the desire to save for one, so it's neither here nor there for me personally.
972ee6408be03363898b64bb29e640034b1310b4.png7667dd2c536ecd719b369737ff16de5f7adb05d1.pnge6cfb360af67b7bc3881ae209414f2ca128d5b19.png
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-07-20 09:50:05" ] [quote name="hinotoriii" date="2024-07-20 07:46:05" ] I get what you mean. This is like in Pokémon card trading, where first editions of classic cards go for a lot of money and are distinguishable by their ‘edition one’ stamp on them, but since the original release, other ‘versions’ of the same card have released for those that just want that particular card in their collection without the ridiculous price tag. Those cards are often visually the same other than a marking that indicates it’s print run — ie a 2, a Pikachu sticker for the anniversary additions, etc. [/quote] I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards. Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field. [/quote] Howdy! Pokémon TCG fan weighing in. The meta for official tournaments is comprised of the last 4 card sets released. These older cards can’t be played in a modern or standard format, and they’ve been powercreeped to hell and back anyway, so they’re literally just a collectors item. A lot of people approach it as “Oh I had this one in my childhood, Charizard is my favorite”, so it’s just for emotions, not for play. Scalpers / resellers is a entirely different thing and I won’t comment on them because I don’t understand the mindset lmao Just thought I would give clarification to this as I actually knew the answer to this lmaooooo Also I’m team JoxBox for the year 1 stuff!
Achaius wrote on 2024-07-20 09:50:05:
hinotoriii wrote on 2024-07-20 07:46:05:
I get what you mean. This is like in Pokémon card trading, where first editions of classic cards go for a lot of money and are distinguishable by their ‘edition one’ stamp on them, but since the original release, other ‘versions’ of the same card have released for those that just want that particular card in their collection without the ridiculous price tag. Those cards are often visually the same other than a marking that indicates it’s print run — ie a 2, a Pikachu sticker for the anniversary additions, etc.
I'm not super familiar with the Pokemon TCG so this could be off base, but I feel like one reason this might be done in trading card games is for balance purposes that don't apply here. Like, older cards may be important in the meta, and they don't want newer players to be unable to win tournaments because they don't have access to key cards.

Here, there is no mechanical difference between familiars. It's purely aesthetics. Either you like the Light Sprite art or you don't. So there's not the same need to have a fair/competitive playing field.

Howdy! Pokémon TCG fan weighing in. The meta for official tournaments is comprised of the last 4 card sets released. These older cards can’t be played in a modern or standard format, and they’ve been powercreeped to hell and back anyway, so they’re literally just a collectors item. A lot of people approach it as “Oh I had this one in my childhood, Charizard is my favorite”, so it’s just for emotions, not for play. Scalpers / resellers is a entirely different thing and I won’t comment on them because I don’t understand the mindset lmao

Just thought I would give clarification to this as I actually knew the answer to this lmaooooo

Also I’m team JoxBox for the year 1 stuff!
I don't hate this idea.

As someone who has a completed bestiary, except for Boolean and the KS fams, it's an itch I'd love to scratch. I've awakened them all, but you don't get the fireworks if you don't have the actual familiar.

I had two KS fams, but sold them when I realized I wasn't going to get the other two and it was annoying me lol
I don't hate this idea.

As someone who has a completed bestiary, except for Boolean and the KS fams, it's an itch I'd love to scratch. I've awakened them all, but you don't get the fireworks if you don't have the actual familiar.

I had two KS fams, but sold them when I realized I wasn't going to get the other two and it was annoying me lol
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *