Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Crystalline Gene
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Now I'm worried about applying it to my dragon, because what if the color is a bug and they change it?
Now I'm worried about applying it to my dragon, because what if the color is a bug and they change it?
Noodledad's wayward child on a whirlwind tour of Sornieth
uQA55c0.pngkYCXHUE.pngqC4cJJE.pngDTB2XDj.png
I am loving the possibilities for working with difficult terts, and it really is an Icy gene, so does its job as a fest gene
I am loving the possibilities for working with difficult terts, and it really is an Icy gene, so does its job as a fest gene
windbottom.png
Can confirm use as a tert saver. It makes a Lavender/Tangerine/Shamrock dragon look decent.
Can confirm use as a tert saver. It makes a Lavender/Tangerine/Shamrock dragon look decent.
I'm largely neutral on the gene, but I haven't fiddled about with it a lot yet. My only gripe is that Auraboas got it, so they effectively got two festival genes in a row, while Undertides still only have ONE, Brightshine.
**Edit to add that Aethers also only have one festival Gene, being Starfall, but to my recollection Undertides have been out longer, so I was hoping they'd get this month's gene.
I'm largely neutral on the gene, but I haven't fiddled about with it a lot yet. My only gripe is that Auraboas got it, so they effectively got two festival genes in a row, while Undertides still only have ONE, Brightshine.
**Edit to add that Aethers also only have one festival Gene, being Starfall, but to my recollection Undertides have been out longer, so I was hoping they'd get this month's gene.
qiTymVx.png zbfZPyc.png
First I was excited for an ice gene! Then I looked at it closer and.. I do have to agree with a lot of points brought up here

I don't like how it looks like the dragon is stuck to the ground and the way the icicles all point down like the dragon is just a statue and not a living being moving around also bugs me. And the way the ice is just so randomly spread over the dragon feels unnatural and makes the whole thing look pretty flat
I don't mind the desaturated colors at all, it has potential for a tert saver, but some of the colors do look very off and like they didn't even draw from the original ones - the way-too-blue greys and way-too-white browns really look like errors more than their original color but opaque

Just overall I'm very meh on this gene
It looks great in some scenarios but I don't see myself really using it
First I was excited for an ice gene! Then I looked at it closer and.. I do have to agree with a lot of points brought up here

I don't like how it looks like the dragon is stuck to the ground and the way the icicles all point down like the dragon is just a statue and not a living being moving around also bugs me. And the way the ice is just so randomly spread over the dragon feels unnatural and makes the whole thing look pretty flat
I don't mind the desaturated colors at all, it has potential for a tert saver, but some of the colors do look very off and like they didn't even draw from the original ones - the way-too-blue greys and way-too-white browns really look like errors more than their original color but opaque

Just overall I'm very meh on this gene
It looks great in some scenarios but I don't see myself really using it
tumblr_inline_ohfczpAEJz1tfmvub_540.pngtumblr_inline_ofoo1kxIwX1tfmvub_100.pngtumblr_inline_ohfczqvEMe1tfmvub_540.png
Starfall is my favorite gene zero doubts. I was hoping we were getting aurora borealis for gala tbh but it still looks ok, except for the ice sticking the dragons to the ground maybe
Starfall is my favorite gene zero doubts. I was hoping we were getting aurora borealis for gala tbh but it still looks ok, except for the ice sticking the dragons to the ground maybe
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
QQYyU47.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
f5c0adf655eaaeb871411a368de8ed0ce8164fc9.png
Personally, our tier list goes:

Thundercrack: We LOVE the lightning! It's really cool and looks good with a lot of colors! Really want to get a lightning primal with cyan Thundercrack...

Crystalline: We actually kind of like how the crystals are positioned unlike some. It gives a vibe of "this dragon stood in place for too long" which is almost perfect for us considering our personal headcanon for Gaolers being quite slow moving. We also like how it looks with some gene combos!

Flameforger: We love anything fire. Only complaint is how flat it's colored, but we have a couple uses for it planned!

Brightshine: It's alright I'm certain circumstances. Not our first choice for a test, but it can look good on some dragons!

Starfall: Again, another alright one. We've found significantly less uses for it, but we're sure there will be a day where we actually use it and like it.

Rockbreaker: Not the biggest fan because... Floating rocks? Really? Come on. It's not the greatest in our opinion but we have seen some pretty colors and have an Auraboa with it.

Riot: Literally only use we found for it was on a plague rep scry because it happened to look decent.

The only thing we're hoping for is that the Shadow gene is NOT mushroom related. We've been having dreams about it being mushrooms and we'd hate it if it were. Immediate bottom of the list gene with Polypore if that happens. We want to use the fest genes on our ancient ambassadors. Everything else seems pretty safe from being mushrooms related. Honestly can't wait to see the rest of the genes (unless, of course, as stated if Shadow's is going to be mushrooms...)
Personally, our tier list goes:

Thundercrack: We LOVE the lightning! It's really cool and looks good with a lot of colors! Really want to get a lightning primal with cyan Thundercrack...

Crystalline: We actually kind of like how the crystals are positioned unlike some. It gives a vibe of "this dragon stood in place for too long" which is almost perfect for us considering our personal headcanon for Gaolers being quite slow moving. We also like how it looks with some gene combos!

Flameforger: We love anything fire. Only complaint is how flat it's colored, but we have a couple uses for it planned!

Brightshine: It's alright I'm certain circumstances. Not our first choice for a test, but it can look good on some dragons!

Starfall: Again, another alright one. We've found significantly less uses for it, but we're sure there will be a day where we actually use it and like it.

Rockbreaker: Not the biggest fan because... Floating rocks? Really? Come on. It's not the greatest in our opinion but we have seen some pretty colors and have an Auraboa with it.

Riot: Literally only use we found for it was on a plague rep scry because it happened to look decent.

The only thing we're hoping for is that the Shadow gene is NOT mushroom related. We've been having dreams about it being mushrooms and we'd hate it if it were. Immediate bottom of the list gene with Polypore if that happens. We want to use the fest genes on our ancient ambassadors. Everything else seems pretty safe from being mushrooms related. Honestly can't wait to see the rest of the genes (unless, of course, as stated if Shadow's is going to be mushrooms...)
they_them.png
mlHpBMC.png
pyAp3dI.png
a0f1jaz.png
fDseSl9.png
2zqBVe2.png
ldIARQG.gif
irgle7Z.png
QM8NdoT.png
Ls3JHnG.png
GJVtuPg.png
FObX7rS.png
fkWjutW.png
This bio will be updated eventually!
Strongly dislike this gene because it's so translucent and so flat. The highlights look really not-good.
Strongly dislike this gene because it's so translucent and so flat. The highlights look really not-good.
KTRqLr.gif dHC8aP1.png
CioCFC3.png
or7Yz8j.png
jA5A7gu.png
bYt72YT.png
2VtxnMX.png
PpMY10h.png
mlHpBMC.png
KTRLDg.png
Well, I didn't realize this went beyond page 2, so here I am giving it a read. [quote name="AcadiAnne" date="2024-01-29 21:53:50" ] [quote name="Cryoluxa" date="2024-01-28 06:27:56" ] 1. Rockbreaker. Best gene. It doesn't change the dragon itself, and includes (usually) a lot of accent colors while still being very clear about which colors it's showing. [/quote] Is this a troll? I just don’t get how random geodes floating around a dragon is better than lightning bolts, flames, or ice shards. Unless you like to look at the geodes as parasitic mouths, which is what I do. Yes, they’re all situational genes. If you want to use these genes, find the right situation. None of them are universal. Any gene with an elemental symbol is a no-go for me. [/quote] No troll. First, Crystalline doesn't look like ice to me. It looks like the dragon rolled around in spider web or popped their bubble gum all over themselves or something. Second, just look at these colors in Rockbreaker. It not only has the gradient in the crystals themselves, but the outer shell of the geodes are also accent colors of the main colors. It's brilliant, gorgeous to look at, and are geodes floating around a dragon. You can't improve upon this. I see it not directly on the dragon's body as a major plus. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=160&bodygene=251&breed=24&element=1&eyetype=6&gender=1&tert=164&tertgene=244&winggene=245&wings=138&auth=58ab2d7601805e429a7d368d51a06855a1cd236b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=47&bodygene=195&breed=23&element=1&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=42&tertgene=245&winggene=195&wings=93&auth=1cd272121eab151e8ad19c02da5889db89a9929e&dummyext=prev.png[/img] There's so many colors in that gene that go well together, and you can match to with the primary and secondary. It's so fun to design around them! They're seriously my go-to in tert-picking. Yes, I turn a lot of dragons into Boas in the scrying workshop because of it. [quote name="@Arcadaline" date="2024-01-28 08:29:04" ] Just for fun, here is a mockup of how I would want the placement to be more like. Maybe too opal-like, but opal with line-breaking >:D [img]https://i.postimg.cc/jjHYx5Ns/Crystaline-mockup.png[/img] [/quote] Man, this is so much better than the official gene! I still think the bit around the base is weird, but this actually looks like ice! Still, maybe a bit thinner, and with a layer of frost over the back of the dragon would improve it: just a transparent dusting of the gene's color.
Well, I didn't realize this went beyond page 2, so here I am giving it a read.
AcadiAnne wrote on 2024-01-29 21:53:50:
Cryoluxa wrote on 2024-01-28 06:27:56:
1. Rockbreaker. Best gene. It doesn't change the dragon itself, and includes (usually) a lot of accent colors while still being very clear about which colors it's showing.

Is this a troll? I just don’t get how random geodes floating around a dragon is better than lightning bolts, flames, or ice shards. Unless you like to look at the geodes as parasitic mouths, which is what I do. Yes, they’re all situational genes. If you want to use these genes, find the right situation. None of them are universal.

Any gene with an elemental symbol is a no-go for me.

No troll.

First, Crystalline doesn't look like ice to me. It looks like the dragon rolled around in spider web or popped their bubble gum all over themselves or something.

Second, just look at these colors in Rockbreaker. It not only has the gradient in the crystals themselves, but the outer shell of the geodes are also accent colors of the main colors. It's brilliant, gorgeous to look at, and are geodes floating around a dragon. You can't improve upon this. I see it not directly on the dragon's body as a major plus.

dragon?age=0&body=160&bodygene=251&breed=24&element=1&eyetype=6&gender=1&tert=164&tertgene=244&winggene=245&wings=138&auth=58ab2d7601805e429a7d368d51a06855a1cd236b&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=0&body=47&bodygene=195&breed=23&element=1&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=42&tertgene=245&winggene=195&wings=93&auth=1cd272121eab151e8ad19c02da5889db89a9929e&dummyext=prev.png

There's so many colors in that gene that go well together, and you can match to with the primary and secondary. It's so fun to design around them! They're seriously my go-to in tert-picking. Yes, I turn a lot of dragons into Boas in the scrying workshop because of it.
@Arcadaline wrote on 2024-01-28 08:29:04:
Just for fun, here is a mockup of how I would want the placement to be more like. Maybe too opal-like, but opal with line-breaking >:D
Crystaline-mockup.png

Man, this is so much better than the official gene! I still think the bit around the base is weird, but this actually looks like ice! Still, maybe a bit thinner, and with a layer of frost over the back of the dragon would improve it: just a transparent dusting of the gene's color.
Personally I love it! Super hoping for goopy drippy stuff for shadows but until then this is my favorite! I love how they look frozen to the ground, to me it looks like they just slowly freeze everything they touch which is super cool for ice!
Personally I love it! Super hoping for goopy drippy stuff for shadows but until then this is my favorite! I love how they look frozen to the ground, to me it looks like they just slowly freeze everything they touch which is super cool for ice!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11