Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lochness.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="MollyMerula" date="2023-06-10 07:48:58" ] for everyone saying it doesn't seem weird, how weird would it seem to you if the familiar was named "lilypad lakemichigan"? LOL [/quote] Well, people were already upset at is being called 'Lilypad Lake', which was why it was changed to 'Lilypad Lakemichigan' in the first place.
MollyMerula wrote on 2023-06-10 07:48:58:
for everyone saying it doesn't seem weird, how weird would it seem to you if the familiar was named "lilypad lakemichigan"? LOL

Well, people were already upset at is being called 'Lilypad Lake', which was why it was changed to 'Lilypad Lakemichigan' in the first place.
@Teeka oh yes, that was definitely strange as well! i'm just trying to offer context for people who think this seems less weird than the one we had before!
@Teeka oh yes, that was definitely strange as well! i'm just trying to offer context for people who think this seems less weird than the one we had before!
79645518.png81164874.png81260751.png81324635.png
they should rename it to lapra because i like pokemon references
they should rename it to lapra because i like pokemon references
21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
I figured, I was just kind of adding the extra context of exactly how strange the whole situation is. because to me the whole thing is wild - language, loan words and redundancies in place/creature names is such a common thing that I always do a double take when people start talking about it.

EDIT: And I just reread the original post where the Jersey Devil was mentioned and now I feel the need to say the Jersey Devil isn't just a devil from Jersey. It's a very specific cryptid local to the Pine Barrens. Any evil being could buy property in New Jersey and live there but that wouldn't magically make it the Jersey Devil, it'd just a devil living in New Jersey
I figured, I was just kind of adding the extra context of exactly how strange the whole situation is. because to me the whole thing is wild - language, loan words and redundancies in place/creature names is such a common thing that I always do a double take when people start talking about it.

EDIT: And I just reread the original post where the Jersey Devil was mentioned and now I feel the need to say the Jersey Devil isn't just a devil from Jersey. It's a very specific cryptid local to the Pine Barrens. Any evil being could buy property in New Jersey and live there but that wouldn't magically make it the Jersey Devil, it'd just a devil living in New Jersey
Lol, I don't care either way I'm not going to put up a fuss about one familiar name out of the hundreds there are. Especially when you can rename the thing if you use it
Lol, I don't care either way I'm not going to put up a fuss about one familiar name out of the hundreds there are. Especially when you can rename the thing if you use it
6170d1951dd00a76054e0be373068f46a32933c9.png
... If we get a recolor it should be called Lilypad Champ. 'cause we have a 'Nessie' at home. :p

Also what I think would be a better analogy to the frankenstein thing would be like if we referred to all vampires as Draculas. As humorous as that is when it happens, Dracula (the fantasy character) was just one very famous individual. It's a little silly. This is a silly game though so...
... If we get a recolor it should be called Lilypad Champ. 'cause we have a 'Nessie' at home. :p

Also what I think would be a better analogy to the frankenstein thing would be like if we referred to all vampires as Draculas. As humorous as that is when it happens, Dracula (the fantasy character) was just one very famous individual. It's a little silly. This is a silly game though so...
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Lilypad Loch didn't make sense in our language but I don't really think the actual etymology of the word here is important because "loch" just might be like the word "sparrow" when referring to an organism like this. As we started associating "Loch Ness" with the Loch Ness monster, loch being the word for a lake, even though Loch Ness isn't the cryptid, it's completely sensible for someone to just call a fantasy creature a "loch". I really don't think there was any need for the original Loch name to be changed, but Lochness doesn't really flow as well. What about Lochneck. Like Longneck but thematic :) Edit: Just read the suggestion post and I see, the concerns are definitely valid. Actually, I'm not gonna go into a lengthy discussion regarding endangered languages as that's not my place to do so. All I can say is that various words of now almost defunct languages or actually defunct languages still exist in modern words due to etymological evolution, e.g. almost no one speaks Latin anymore but it's practically everywhere, especially in the scientific community and even in everyday speech. Croatia has some dying cultures and dialects (which, in comparison with English accents, are almost unique languages) but I think letting the world know about them and introducing them to tourists would help in strengthening their health? Anyway, I do agree that the least one should expect is the actual language being respected. [quote name="RheoTastic" date="2023-06-09 23:13:51" ] considering that FR is canonically millennia posthumans (...) [/quote] Wait did I miss something? Didn't Undel specifically say humans never existed on Sornieth? The creatures from the Second Age may have been vaguely humanoid, at least from the shapes we can see, but Sornieth was never actually inhabited by humans? Or at least the statements are vague enough and some things have changed since 2013, and the more recent statement is that no one has ever seen a human (on Sornieth). hmmm
Lilypad Loch didn't make sense in our language but I don't really think the actual etymology of the word here is important because "loch" just might be like the word "sparrow" when referring to an organism like this. As we started associating "Loch Ness" with the Loch Ness monster, loch being the word for a lake, even though Loch Ness isn't the cryptid, it's completely sensible for someone to just call a fantasy creature a "loch". I really don't think there was any need for the original Loch name to be changed, but Lochness doesn't really flow as well.

What about Lochneck. Like Longneck but thematic :)

Edit: Just read the suggestion post and I see, the concerns are definitely valid. Actually, I'm not gonna go into a lengthy discussion regarding endangered languages as that's not my place to do so. All I can say is that various words of now almost defunct languages or actually defunct languages still exist in modern words due to etymological evolution, e.g. almost no one speaks Latin anymore but it's practically everywhere, especially in the scientific community and even in everyday speech. Croatia has some dying cultures and dialects (which, in comparison with English accents, are almost unique languages) but I think letting the world know about them and introducing them to tourists would help in strengthening their health? Anyway, I do agree that the least one should expect is the actual language being respected.
RheoTastic wrote on 2023-06-09 23:13:51:
considering that FR is canonically millennia posthumans (...)

Wait did I miss something? Didn't Undel specifically say humans never existed on Sornieth? The creatures from the Second Age may have been vaguely humanoid, at least from the shapes we can see, but Sornieth was never actually inhabited by humans? Or at least the statements are vague enough and some things have changed since 2013, and the more recent statement is that no one has ever seen a human (on Sornieth). hmmm
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Churrell" date="2023-06-10 07:44:56" ] Implying that people are pedantic for wanting monster names changed specifically in the context of a discussion about cultural misappropriation is a shame, because up until that point I was seeing the point about the wide acceptance of “Frankenstein” as a monster type. Notably, Frankenstein wasn’t a real person, but right now we are looking at real cultural heritage [/quote] Being a pedant is not necessarily a bad thing, friend. I'm sure all of us are in one way or another. But if you are being pedantic, expect people who are more chill about the topic (for example, the people who had no problem calling it a lilypad lake, or even a lilypad lakehuron - this specifically is my preferred choice because I think it sounds cool - or anything like that) to find the desire to conform to the rules [i]exactly[/i] a bit annoying. Which is valid. For literally every topic (even the culturally sensitive), you can find someone from that group who says, "lol no that's fine." There are a lot of people in the world. And a lot of people even in the tiniest country or ethnicity. Not everyone is the same. Either way, FR clearly does this with naming random creatures sometimes. And calling something a lilypad lake or the equivalent in any language doesn't sounds weird to me. It's kinda becoming more cute the more I say it. Also, best comment: [quote name="Halszkaraptor" date="2023-06-10 08:15:24" ] ... If we get a recolor it should be called Lilypad Champ. 'cause we have a 'Nessie' at home. :p [/quote]
Churrell wrote on 2023-06-10 07:44:56:
Implying that people are pedantic for wanting monster names changed specifically in the context of a discussion about cultural misappropriation is a shame, because up until that point I was seeing the point about the wide acceptance of “Frankenstein” as a monster type.

Notably, Frankenstein wasn’t a real person, but right now we are looking at real cultural heritage
Being a pedant is not necessarily a bad thing, friend. I'm sure all of us are in one way or another. But if you are being pedantic, expect people who are more chill about the topic (for example, the people who had no problem calling it a lilypad lake, or even a lilypad lakehuron - this specifically is my preferred choice because I think it sounds cool - or anything like that) to find the desire to conform to the rules exactly a bit annoying. Which is valid. For literally every topic (even the culturally sensitive), you can find someone from that group who says, "lol no that's fine." There are a lot of people in the world. And a lot of people even in the tiniest country or ethnicity. Not everyone is the same.

Either way, FR clearly does this with naming random creatures sometimes. And calling something a lilypad lake or the equivalent in any language doesn't sounds weird to me. It's kinda becoming more cute the more I say it.

Also, best comment:
Halszkaraptor wrote on 2023-06-10 08:15:24:
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="jotunn" date="2023-06-09 23:49:46" ] I thought the original was just supposed to be a mirror of the tortoises that are called gardens, by having this turtle be called a lake? Not really sure why it would need to be changed if that was the intended naming convention. [/quote] but the travelling garden (which is just a single familiar; it's recolor is simply called a tortoise) has a good reason to be named that, since it's covered in plants meaning that it essentially [i]is[/i] a travelling garden (the description even references this!) meanwhile, there isn't really anything about this familiar's design that makes calling it a 'lake' suitable. maybe if it were one of those inflatable kiddie pools... which would also be a really funny familiar to have now that i think about it.
jotunn wrote on 2023-06-09 23:49:46:
I thought the original was just supposed to be a mirror of the tortoises that are called gardens, by having this turtle be called a lake? Not really sure why it would need to be changed if that was the intended naming convention.
but the travelling garden (which is just a single familiar; it's recolor is simply called a tortoise) has a good reason to be named that, since it's covered in plants meaning that it essentially is a travelling garden (the description even references this!)

meanwhile, there isn't really anything about this familiar's design that makes calling it a 'lake' suitable. maybe if it were one of those inflatable kiddie pools... which would also be a really funny familiar to have now that i think about it.
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
[quote name="Almedha" date="2023-06-10 08:37:57" ] For literally every topic (even the culturally sensitive), you can find someone from that group who says, "lol no that's fine." There are a lot of people in the world. And a lot of people even in the tiniest country or ethnicity. Not everyone is the same. [/quote] Indeed, people within groups have varying opinions, but it can still be dangerous to say "if some of them are okay with it, then ALL of them should be okay with it," especially in cases where these counter-examples are held up to invalidate the concerns of the majority/most vulnerable of their group
Almedha wrote on 2023-06-10 08:37:57:
For literally every topic (even the culturally sensitive), you can find someone from that group who says, "lol no that's fine." There are a lot of people in the world. And a lot of people even in the tiniest country or ethnicity. Not everyone is the same.

Indeed, people within groups have varying opinions, but it can still be dangerous to say "if some of them are okay with it, then ALL of them should be okay with it," especially in cases where these counter-examples are held up to invalidate the concerns of the majority/most vulnerable of their group
1 2 3 4 5 6 7