Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lochness.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="corndog" date="2023-06-10 17:51:10" ] [item=yorkshire terrier] [/quote] But apparently monsters and folklore named after a place are somehow off limits... wow *eyeroll*
corndog wrote on 2023-06-10 17:51:10:
Yorkshire Terrier
But apparently monsters and folklore named after a place are somehow off limits... wow *eyeroll*
kXpNHpy.pngplagueshieldr.png99zjGkK.pngzSvfhTP.pngshadowshieldl.pngK3S42IV.png
Man the way some people are completely brushing off the whole "hey this is a dying language and we prefer not to have our words blatantly misused and only viewed as mythology" is actually insane. What a way to miss the point ^^"

Anyway rip the "lochling" name suggestion, but locomoting lilypad is cool. Thank you staff for listening to everyone that was irked
Man the way some people are completely brushing off the whole "hey this is a dying language and we prefer not to have our words blatantly misused and only viewed as mythology" is actually insane. What a way to miss the point ^^"

Anyway rip the "lochling" name suggestion, but locomoting lilypad is cool. Thank you staff for listening to everyone that was irked
xOuzD3k.png 90444046.png Bj9vK4V.gif
was so confused about the name change when i saw it but it's pretty cool! the familiar has to be one of my favorites <3
was so confused about the name change when i saw it but it's pretty cool! the familiar has to be one of my favorites <3
3Y3t130.pnglctaZd8.png AvyBrzc.png
[quote name="CloudedViews" date="2023-06-11 07:47:15" ] Man the way some people are completely brushing off the whole "hey this is a dying language and we prefer not to have our words blatantly misused and only viewed as mythology" is actually insane. What a way to miss the point ^^" Anyway rip the "lochling" name suggestion, but locomoting lilypad is cool. Thank you staff for listening to everyone that was irked [/quote] Yeah literally some of you people are extremely rude about a change [i]that does not affect you.[/i] I'm glad staff listened to people with actual concerns instead, I don't think they did the original two names with any ill intent - it was just a misinformed attempt at referencing some famous folklore. You're allowed to reference things, you just have to understand what exactly you're doing y'know?
CloudedViews wrote on 2023-06-11 07:47:15:

Yeah literally some of you people are extremely rude about a change that does not affect you. I'm glad staff listened to people with actual concerns instead, I don't think they did the original two names with any ill intent - it was just a misinformed attempt at referencing some famous folklore.
You're allowed to reference things, you just have to understand what exactly you're doing y'know?
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote name="Recallback" date="2023-06-11 15:24:02" ] [quote name="CloudedViews" date="2023-06-11 07:47:15" ] Man the way some people are completely brushing off the whole "hey this is a dying language and we prefer not to have our words blatantly misused and only viewed as mythology" is actually insane. What a way to miss the point ^^" Anyway rip the "lochling" name suggestion, but locomoting lilypad is cool. Thank you staff for listening to everyone that was irked [/quote] Yeah literally some of you people are extremely rude about a change [i]that does not affect you.[/i] I'm glad staff listened to people with actual concerns instead, I don't think they did the original two names with any ill intent - it was just a misinformed attempt at referencing some famous folklore. You're allowed to reference things, you just have to understand what exactly you're doing y'know? [/quote] it's like how pronghorns were called wendigos, but they changed the name because it was the pop culture were-deer ooooh scary hairy monster version of wendigos and not the malevolent icy decaying humanlike spirit that was actually accurate to folklore. it's a popular misinterpretation that, though not intentionally malevolent, was still misrepresenting a culture.
Recallback wrote on 2023-06-11 15:24:02:

Yeah literally some of you people are extremely rude about a change that does not affect you. I'm glad staff listened to people with actual concerns instead, I don't think they did the original two names with any ill intent - it was just a misinformed attempt at referencing some famous folklore.
You're allowed to reference things, you just have to understand what exactly you're doing y'know?
it's like how pronghorns were called wendigos, but they changed the name because it was the pop culture were-deer ooooh scary hairy monster version of wendigos and not the malevolent icy decaying humanlike spirit that was actually accurate to folklore. it's a popular misinterpretation that, though not intentionally malevolent, was still misrepresenting a culture.
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
[quote name="corndog" date="2023-06-11 18:16:55" ] [quote name="Recallback" date="2023-06-11 15:24:02" ] [quote name="CloudedViews" date="2023-06-11 07:47:15" ] Man the way some people are completely brushing off the whole "hey this is a dying language and we prefer not to have our words blatantly misused and only viewed as mythology" is actually insane. What a way to miss the point ^^" Anyway rip the "lochling" name suggestion, but locomoting lilypad is cool. Thank you staff for listening to everyone that was irked [/quote] Yeah literally some of you people are extremely rude about a change [i]that does not affect you.[/i] I'm glad staff listened to people with actual concerns instead, I don't think they did the original two names with any ill intent - it was just a misinformed attempt at referencing some famous folklore. You're allowed to reference things, you just have to understand what exactly you're doing y'know? [/quote] it's like how pronghorns were called wendigos, but they changed the name because it was the pop culture were-deer ooooh scary hairy monster version of wendigos and not the malevolent icy decaying humanlike spirit that was actually accurate to folklore. it's a popular misinterpretation that, though not intentionally malevolent, was still misrepresenting a culture. [/quote] That was an interesting one to watch because we'd seen many threads (three that I was there for personally) before the one that ultimately got the change result in some educational discussion between members of the community that the name affected. Perhaps because there were only two or people (that I remember) it affected discussing it, it wasn't all that clear-cut whether a name change was really desired. The thread that eventually did result in the name changed was when someone made a post on tumblr about it alongside a thread in Suggestions. I believe they asked for people to make accounts to say "support" on the thread, and quite a few people did. Effectively shut down discussion (I found the way they just ignored one self-declared member of the tribe in question trying to have a discussion about their no-supporting the thread quite inspiring) because so many people were just saying "support."
corndog wrote on 2023-06-11 18:16:55:
Recallback wrote on 2023-06-11 15:24:02:

it's like how pronghorns were called wendigos, but they changed the name because it was the pop culture were-deer ooooh scary hairy monster version of wendigos and not the malevolent icy decaying humanlike spirit that was actually accurate to folklore. it's a popular misinterpretation that, though not intentionally malevolent, was still misrepresenting a culture.
That was an interesting one to watch because we'd seen many threads (three that I was there for personally) before the one that ultimately got the change result in some educational discussion between members of the community that the name affected. Perhaps because there were only two or people (that I remember) it affected discussing it, it wasn't all that clear-cut whether a name change was really desired.

The thread that eventually did result in the name changed was when someone made a post on tumblr about it alongside a thread in Suggestions. I believe they asked for people to make accounts to say "support" on the thread, and quite a few people did. Effectively shut down discussion (I found the way they just ignored one self-declared member of the tribe in question trying to have a discussion about their no-supporting the thread quite inspiring) because so many people were just saying "support."
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Oizys" date="2023-06-11 07:42:04" ] [quote name="corndog" date="2023-06-10 17:51:10" ] [item=yorkshire terrier] [/quote] But apparently monsters and folklore named after a place are somehow off limits... wow *eyeroll* [/quote] Completely missed the entire point of my thread.
Oizys wrote on 2023-06-11 07:42:04:
corndog wrote on 2023-06-10 17:51:10:
Yorkshire Terrier
But apparently monsters and folklore named after a place are somehow off limits... wow *eyeroll*

Completely missed the entire point of my thread.
2KAdknV.png
gTTW2gA.png
GW180jv.png
uVEyOnT.png
DshAKj6.png
iR2WNmx.png
m0cjLtv.png
I liked the reference, it's a tiny loch ness monster living in a lake full of lilypads. As someone pointed out, it also sounds like "likeness" which is pointing out how it's a mimic.
The new name just doesn't suit it. It feel like if we renamed all the dragon breeds to things like "Plague Dragon" or "Ice Ancient". It kills the original feel of the item and makes it bland and uninteresting. In my time on this site this has happened at least twice.
I liked the reference, it's a tiny loch ness monster living in a lake full of lilypads. As someone pointed out, it also sounds like "likeness" which is pointing out how it's a mimic.
The new name just doesn't suit it. It feel like if we renamed all the dragon breeds to things like "Plague Dragon" or "Ice Ancient". It kills the original feel of the item and makes it bland and uninteresting. In my time on this site this has happened at least twice.
?1yJ3f=platform.png
RSUsSvx.png
I was definitely a bit weirded out by calling something a loch when it wasn't a loch, even though it was nice to see a bit of Scots being referenced. It was like calling a mountain goat just a mountain. And then it went Lochness and that was... not good. Partly because it still had exactly the same problem ("hey, if we call this mountain goat a mountrushmore instead, that fixes it, right?"), but partly because it gets really, really depressing to have Scotland constantly reduced to Nessie and tartan and haggis. The new name is less interesting, but at least I can't hear the silence of ten thousand people all mentally mispronouncing 'loch'. (It's not 'lock', and 'lotch' is is RIGHT OUT [emoji=fae happy size=1])
I was definitely a bit weirded out by calling something a loch when it wasn't a loch, even though it was nice to see a bit of Scots being referenced. It was like calling a mountain goat just a mountain.

And then it went Lochness and that was... not good. Partly because it still had exactly the same problem ("hey, if we call this mountain goat a mountrushmore instead, that fixes it, right?"), but partly because it gets really, really depressing to have Scotland constantly reduced to Nessie and tartan and haggis.

The new name is less interesting, but at least I can't hear the silence of ten thousand people all mentally mispronouncing 'loch'. (It's not 'lock', and 'lotch' is is RIGHT OUT )
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7