Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lochness.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[center][item=Lilypad Lochness][/center] *Queue neurodivergent rambling* Okay, I get that the name is a reference to the Loch Ness Monster, or "Nessie," but... Lochness. [i]Lochness.[/i] A lochness isn't a [i]thing[/i]- or well, Loch Ness is, but more so a location in which the Loch Ness Monster lives. In Loch Ness. A loch, by the name of Ness. In Scotland. What the hell is a lochness!? It's like the Jersey Devil; a jersey devil isn't a thing, but a devil from [New] Jersey [i]is.[/i] Frankenstein isn't the monster, Frankenstein is the one who created it! EDIT: I'm not upset about the idea of a real-world location being used in a FR item, I'm upset about words (especially not being that of English) being misused, be it silly or not. It just doesn't make sense lol
*Queue neurodivergent rambling*

Okay, I get that the name is a reference to the Loch Ness Monster, or "Nessie," but... Lochness. Lochness. A lochness isn't a thing- or well, Loch Ness is, but more so a location in which the Loch Ness Monster lives.

In Loch Ness. A loch, by the name of Ness. In Scotland. What the hell is a lochness!?

It's like the Jersey Devil; a jersey devil isn't a thing, but a devil from [New] Jersey is. Frankenstein isn't the monster, Frankenstein is the one who created it!

EDIT: I'm not upset about the idea of a real-world location being used in a FR item, I'm upset about words (especially not being that of English) being misused, be it silly or not. It just doesn't make sense lol
2KAdknV.png
gTTW2gA.png
GW180jv.png
uVEyOnT.png
DshAKj6.png
iR2WNmx.png
m0cjLtv.png
I love how people complained about it being called a "Lilypad Loch", but this is worse lol shoulda just left it tbh, or changed it to that one idea someone proposed, "Lilypad Leuros"

Edit: Or maybe "Lilypad Loch Leuros", if they're so attached to the "loch" part of the name
I love how people complained about it being called a "Lilypad Loch", but this is worse lol shoulda just left it tbh, or changed it to that one idea someone proposed, "Lilypad Leuros"

Edit: Or maybe "Lilypad Loch Leuros", if they're so attached to the "loch" part of the name
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
i saw the suggestions thread about this and it was changed quickly but like. lochness. lochness....... bizarre choice.
i saw the suggestions thread about this and it was changed quickly but like. lochness. lochness....... bizarre choice.
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
To be fair, there's quite a few familiars with weird names (like the River Flights, as someone pointed out in the other thread.)
To be fair, there's quite a few familiars with weird names (like the River Flights, as someone pointed out in the other thread.)
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
If I got a nickel for every time someone made a thread about this familiar's name, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
If I got a nickel for every time someone made a thread about this familiar's name, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
20240124-2118111.gif
I’m 90% certain that the “Lilypad” was meant to be a wordplay on Lilliputian.

Look at it. The whole idea is that it’s a miniature Loch Ness monster.

I’m 90% certain that the “Lilypad” was meant to be a wordplay on Lilliputian.

Look at it. The whole idea is that it’s a miniature Loch Ness monster.

NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
I understand that its the Loch Ness, but they made their own creature/creation and wanted it to be tied with the Loch Ness monster, but they can name it whatever they desire even putting those words together. I don't think its a bad idea! I quite like it!
I understand that its the Loch Ness, but they made their own creature/creation and wanted it to be tied with the Loch Ness monster, but they can name it whatever they desire even putting those words together. I don't think its a bad idea! I quite like it!
divider.png
I mean the way it is now could be read as “lilypad likeness”. Which makes sense since it’s mimicking a lily pad
I mean the way it is now could be read as “lilypad likeness”. Which makes sense since it’s mimicking a lily pad
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
i mean, i have no issue with the name. this is a fantasy game after all, there's plenty of "oddly" named things.
i mean, i have no issue with the name. this is a fantasy game after all, there's plenty of "oddly" named things.
f0PgqbB.png Call me Alex, or Kieran!
pronouns: he/him, they/them
FR +0
old-oaks-2.png Lair sales
Old Oaks sales (lair)
Old Oaks sales (HibDen)
7kXqKFJ.png
considering that FR is implied to be millennia post human-comparable society, I like to think this is like. an ancient loan word. how it would transcend that time is up for debate (as a for instance, arcanist is made of human knowledge -> arcanist makes dragons -> dragons inherit this Knowledge from their dad. or any number of magical based scenarios rlly), but I like the concept that people/dragons wayyy in the future kept seeing the phrase “loch ness monster” and thinking “ahh, a lochness is a plesiosaur/etc! calling it a lochness monster is its specific classification as a monster!” that is a reasonable conclusion to make if you only ever see the phrase in relation to pictures of nessie (bc lets be real, who would know of loch ness if it werent for nessie), it’s just also completely wrong and modern naming will suffer for it

this is pretty much a real thing; perhaps not the best example, but the english word “pineapple” became the word for the fruit because the english speakers who came into contact with it thought it looked like a pine cone. “pine apple” was a term for pine cones at the time, so basically we just go around calling em Pine Cones. not that anyone says that about pine cones anymore nowadays, so the original reasoning is completely lost

also insert twilight gif here
considering that FR is implied to be millennia post human-comparable society, I like to think this is like. an ancient loan word. how it would transcend that time is up for debate (as a for instance, arcanist is made of human knowledge -> arcanist makes dragons -> dragons inherit this Knowledge from their dad. or any number of magical based scenarios rlly), but I like the concept that people/dragons wayyy in the future kept seeing the phrase “loch ness monster” and thinking “ahh, a lochness is a plesiosaur/etc! calling it a lochness monster is its specific classification as a monster!” that is a reasonable conclusion to make if you only ever see the phrase in relation to pictures of nessie (bc lets be real, who would know of loch ness if it werent for nessie), it’s just also completely wrong and modern naming will suffer for it

this is pretty much a real thing; perhaps not the best example, but the english word “pineapple” became the word for the fruit because the english speakers who came into contact with it thought it looked like a pine cone. “pine apple” was a term for pine cones at the time, so basically we just go around calling em Pine Cones. not that anyone says that about pine cones anymore nowadays, so the original reasoning is completely lost

also insert twilight gif here
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7