Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Spiders & Tiny Holes: Turn Off Triggers
1 2 3 4 5
[center][b][size=4]Warning: I will be including some examples of spiders/tiny holes from my hoard.[/size][/b] [/center] Hello hello,, I've been playing for almost two years now,, and I still remember how cool it was to see how inclusive the site is! Tbh,, I was a tad unprepared for previewing spiders as food and familiars,, as well as some materials that are covered in tiny holes - not fun Very Uncomfortable,, So, I think it'd be cool if there was an option to turn off the previewing of certain images,, like a reverse star? Invisi-star?? So like, you can still search up the food, material, familiar, whatever,, but instead of the image it's a lil colored box with the name?? I just reeeeally hate looking at spiders,, especially ones that looks like tarantulas,, and since fear of spiders is common,, I was wondering if others might also prefer an option to Not See certain images. I've gotten used to some of the... cuter? versions of spiders on the sight,, but there are still some that make me uncomfy. I also know people who have a strong fear of snakes,, or maybe bugs or reptiles in general,, just an idea!! Here are some images that Make Me Uncomfy as examples: [center][item=Daddy Longlegs] [item=Redknee Tarantula] [item=Pink Zebra Tarantula] [item=Yellow Jumper] [item=Diving Aranea] [item=Bold Jumping Spider] [item=Grey Basalt] [item=Dark Basalt] [/center] Okay so I'm looking through all the insects real close and now I kinda wanna turn off the preview for the entire category ToT (Please be nice with potential criticisms,, spiders are a fear of mine that, depending on the situation/context,, can lead to [Not Fun Happy Times Where Did The Air Go?],, idk why but spiders have a tendency to run as me full speed even if I screech at them,, is it the soap I use??? Who knows.) It might also be cool to give players the option of 'tagging' images they may link or post with a potential trigger,, that way other players can select to not view that trigger and just see a colored square with the label(s) of the trigger(s).
Warning: I will be including some examples of spiders/tiny holes from my hoard.

Hello hello,, I've been playing for almost two years now,, and I still remember how cool it was to see how inclusive the site is! Tbh,, I was a tad unprepared for previewing spiders as food and familiars,, as well as some materials that are covered in tiny holes - not fun Very Uncomfortable,,

So, I think it'd be cool if there was an option to turn off the previewing of certain images,, like a reverse star? Invisi-star?? So like, you can still search up the food, material, familiar, whatever,, but instead of the image it's a lil colored box with the name??

I just reeeeally hate looking at spiders,, especially ones that looks like tarantulas,, and since fear of spiders is common,, I was wondering if others might also prefer an option to Not See certain images. I've gotten used to some of the... cuter? versions of spiders on the sight,, but there are still some that make me uncomfy. I also know people who have a strong fear of snakes,, or maybe bugs or reptiles in general,, just an idea!!

Here are some images that Make Me Uncomfy as examples:
Daddy Longlegs Redknee Tarantula Pink Zebra Tarantula Yellow Jumper Diving Aranea Bold Jumping Spider Grey Basalt Dark Basalt

Okay so I'm looking through all the insects real close and now I kinda wanna turn off the preview for the entire category ToT

(Please be nice with potential criticisms,, spiders are a fear of mine that, depending on the situation/context,, can lead to [Not Fun Happy Times Where Did The Air Go?],, idk why but spiders have a tendency to run as me full speed even if I screech at them,, is it the soap I use??? Who knows.)

It might also be cool to give players the option of 'tagging' images they may link or post with a potential trigger,, that way other players can select to not view that trigger and just see a colored square with the label(s) of the trigger(s).
qTcP5yI.pngXT6s1Yv.gifBEZgNm.png SQvVy8i.png5M9CHlS.gif
I'm here for this so long as all items are able to be censored, not just some phobias. In the meantime, there is a way to filter images using uBlock Origin that I believe is detailed in this post.
I'm here for this so long as all items are able to be censored, not just some phobias. In the meantime, there is a way to filter images using uBlock Origin that I believe is detailed in this post.
!! signature under construction !!
I remember seeing a post that suggested being able to censor different things with different criteria, and it was pretty well thought out, so I can definitely see how this could work. Support, I don’t see why not. It doesn't affect anyone but the person blocking certain images.
I remember seeing a post that suggested being able to censor different things with different criteria, and it was pretty well thought out, so I can definitely see how this could work. Support, I don’t see why not. It doesn't affect anyone but the person blocking certain images.
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png
7gibfJe.png
ZwbGqUa.png
luMBIla.png
lAvpyOQ.png
5vnsOgE.png
lB92wkt.png
WKH2C9p.png
co3WWXY.png 4SVfFPD.png
40QQWBU.png
hX7nLTH.gif
I always thought it was a good idea to tag all items and then let users select which tags are visible/invisible to them. It'd be nice if this could even be coded to extend to genes and apparel and skins too.
I always thought it was a good idea to tag all items and then let users select which tags are visible/invisible to them. It'd be nice if this could even be coded to extend to genes and apparel and skins too.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
OH GODS YES PLEASE. It's the holes that get me. *shivers*
OH GODS YES PLEASE. It's the holes that get me. *shivers*
DPrCB0j.gif___
The roots are growing.___

Life shall nest in the heart of death,___
And those who rest will bloom.___

___
always support for a user-end toggle of what icons they dont want to see. i don't want there to be filters for specific phobias because then staff has to arbitrarily decide which phobias are "more important", so leaving it up to the user to curate their own experience is best.
always support for a user-end toggle of what icons they dont want to see. i don't want there to be filters for specific phobias because then staff has to arbitrarily decide which phobias are "more important", so leaving it up to the user to curate their own experience is best.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
I agree it'd be best to allow the user to curate it themselves instead of having a tagging system, because,

1. Going through and tagging every single item is gonna be a big task.
2. With so many creatures being fantasy amalgamations, what makes something spidery enough to be counted as a spider? What items have small and dense enough holes to count under trypophobia?
3. Anything can be a phobia, so you'd have to tag every aspect of an item to cover every phobia... which is, again, a huge task.
4. Sometimes our phobias and squicks are weird and varied! What one person thinks is triggering may be ok for another user with the same phobia. Someone may not want to disable all spiders because some of them are fine, while others will want to disable all spiders. I have a phobia of blood, but for some reason it only applies to real blood in 99% of cases, and I don't want to censor everything that may contain blood just for that 1% of outliers that set me off.

It has the unfortunate consequence of users having to see the images to turn them off, but I think this way would cover the most ground without the massive undertaking of tagging every aspect of an item.
I agree it'd be best to allow the user to curate it themselves instead of having a tagging system, because,

1. Going through and tagging every single item is gonna be a big task.
2. With so many creatures being fantasy amalgamations, what makes something spidery enough to be counted as a spider? What items have small and dense enough holes to count under trypophobia?
3. Anything can be a phobia, so you'd have to tag every aspect of an item to cover every phobia... which is, again, a huge task.
4. Sometimes our phobias and squicks are weird and varied! What one person thinks is triggering may be ok for another user with the same phobia. Someone may not want to disable all spiders because some of them are fine, while others will want to disable all spiders. I have a phobia of blood, but for some reason it only applies to real blood in 99% of cases, and I don't want to censor everything that may contain blood just for that 1% of outliers that set me off.

It has the unfortunate consequence of users having to see the images to turn them off, but I think this way would cover the most ground without the massive undertaking of tagging every aspect of an item.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
I've said this in another thread like this, but I would say a far better option would be a way for users to turn off/spoiler any item icon or gene/eye type they choose. And possibly, it could be linked to the game database.

I can't really support the staff choosing which phobias are worth tagging, because I don't really like the implications of that. It does not matter if something makes 10 people uncomfortable or 100, they are both equal and deserve the same treatment.
I've said this in another thread like this, but I would say a far better option would be a way for users to turn off/spoiler any item icon or gene/eye type they choose. And possibly, it could be linked to the game database.

I can't really support the staff choosing which phobias are worth tagging, because I don't really like the implications of that. It does not matter if something makes 10 people uncomfortable or 100, they are both equal and deserve the same treatment.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.pngWQA384m.pngdEo6ta2.png
It would have to be something managed on the user end. I do not want the staff to have to decide which phobias are the ones most deserving of having an option to censor content for (snakes, dogs and occasionally rodents and birds make lists of common phobias and this site has a bunch of those). It'd only make the situation worse and more uncomfortable for people who's phobias are not supported.
It would have to be something managed on the user end. I do not want the staff to have to decide which phobias are the ones most deserving of having an option to censor content for (snakes, dogs and occasionally rodents and birds make lists of common phobias and this site has a bunch of those). It'd only make the situation worse and more uncomfortable for people who's phobias are not supported.
I support a user-end toggle that will censor things like spiders, snakes, certain genes (like Jag/Ros is a known tryptophobia trigger for a lot of people), etc, and would rather people be able to customize it to curate their own viewing experience. Also I agree with what Tserin said about how a thing can be triggering in some circumstances and not others - I have a pretty bad spider phobia but for some reason the Peacock Spider and Speckled Peacock Spider are OK with me? All the other spiders can go away, but unfortunately I have this completionist thing with familiars - it would be great if I didn't have to look at spider familiars to bond with them.
I support a user-end toggle that will censor things like spiders, snakes, certain genes (like Jag/Ros is a known tryptophobia trigger for a lot of people), etc, and would rather people be able to customize it to curate their own viewing experience. Also I agree with what Tserin said about how a thing can be triggering in some circumstances and not others - I have a pretty bad spider phobia but for some reason the Peacock Spider and Speckled Peacock Spider are OK with me? All the other spiders can go away, but unfortunately I have this completionist thing with familiars - it would be great if I didn't have to look at spider familiars to bond with them.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
1 2 3 4 5