Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Spiders & Tiny Holes: Turn Off Triggers
1 2 3 4 5
having the ability to filter certain visual triggers would do wonders for this site in terms

i think it would work best if there was a blacklist feature similar to tumblr

input the name of an item/familiar/etc that you don't want to see the image of and presto - you can see the listing, you can see it in your hoard, but the image itself has been turned into a grey square or something so you're not subjected to your phobia

that way the staff isn't forced to figure out what phobias to prioritize and people wont complain when their phobia isnt on the list

this would also be great for people like me who just hate two of a specific familiar and don't ever want to see them for any reason other than because i think theyre ugly and creepy - i'd rather add their names to the list and never see them again than take them out of the game though
having the ability to filter certain visual triggers would do wonders for this site in terms

i think it would work best if there was a blacklist feature similar to tumblr

input the name of an item/familiar/etc that you don't want to see the image of and presto - you can see the listing, you can see it in your hoard, but the image itself has been turned into a grey square or something so you're not subjected to your phobia

that way the staff isn't forced to figure out what phobias to prioritize and people wont complain when their phobia isnt on the list

this would also be great for people like me who just hate two of a specific familiar and don't ever want to see them for any reason other than because i think theyre ugly and creepy - i'd rather add their names to the list and never see them again than take them out of the game though
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Reposting from the last thread about this that Got Itself Vanished: August 04, 2022 10:17:24 "blur item/enemy by ID#" as an option in settings would be the only way I'd want something like this implemented, so this way each person is responsible for blocking just the items they want to, and no relying on devs to A)curate the phobia lists for them B)have a curated list for their specific uncommon phobia C) get it right and not miss items. With the added stressor of "user A thinks this item needs to be included in the list, User B does not and is upset because now they can't see an item they're fine with." There used to be a petsite that never got out of beta before dying that had something like that implemented from the beginning where blocked items were replaced with a basic white square, and even people who didn't have phobias loved the feature because we could just blur or hide things to mark off tasks as completed. (On FR, this might translate to blurring Hib Den items you've already turned in.) I mocked up the idea in my head of how a "choose item by id" option would work because I had nothing better to do today. 8D I hope the text is still legible, the images got squashed to fit the forums. [img]https://i.imgur.com/2qanJLW.png[/img] Account options now has an extra choice right under blocked users for hidden items and dragons. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Qt7I8cF.png[/img] When you click on "manage" you get different categories where you can block things (I mean this COULD be just one list but I over-organize my life and like the idea of dividing them out into different categories like this.) The search box works like the game database, you start typing and names would pop up. You select them to add them to the list. The three categories I have here are 1:items (the square box ones that show up in the hoard) 2:enemies and familiars (the full animal image, not the items, so you can choose to block the yeti separately from the item image which is just it's arm) 3:dragons by species/pose, or dragons with a specific gene on them. I've decided here that I do not like seafood items, nor aquatic enemies in the coliseum, and tundra male poses and bane feathers are just right out. Optionally, there could be an option for "Hide dragons wearing a specific skin or apparel item" that would work the same as genes. The item image in the hoard would still be a separate thing that would be blockable in the "hidden items" list. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Dv415PU.png[/img] Dragons that are of a blocked species/pose, or have a blocked gene would appear as blurred when small, with a little warning on top of them. This would be the same in lairs, auction house, or when the dragon widget is posted in the forums. You can mouse over the dragon to see it's info box for the species/pose/gene info to see why it isn't shown to you, or tap on it to go to the page. [img]https://i.imgur.com/vrSVFbk.png[/img] Larger dragon images in the forums, profile, or front page would have an actual info box on top, showing the info as to why the dragon is blurred. (In this example, it's chicken feathers.) This would probably only work if people used the widget links- it'd be looking at the dragon id/url, not so much the actual image itself. Phoatlshops or dragons in breeding cards, or images hosted off site would not be effected, obviously. In the case of being able to block dragons wearing a specific apparel (eg, you hate bunnies) you could block a dragon with the rabbit apparel item, and the warning would tell you why without having to search through the apparel list to see why it was blocked. So you would know you're safe to scry the dragon if you wanted to. However, if the dragon was a Tundra M (that I've marked for blocking) AND was wearing rabbit apparel, both would be listed in the warning box and I would easily know not to scry it. (Yes, you could just scroll through apparel or read the dragon info box, but the info pulled into the warning just makes it easier.) [img]https://i.imgur.com/NzBaUaI.png[/img] For items that have been blocked, the images would just get a css blur overlay on them, and then in the mouseover, there's another warning box that it's been blurred because of user options. Adding a CSS blur to an item does NOT require adding new item art for everything, it's just something you add like "img:blur" to the code. You can even do it to items yourself in inspect elements. :) [img]https://i.imgur.com/n24JlkZ.png[/img] Another option would be to put warning boxes on top of the items, but that would make them stand out more than just blurring them. [img]https://i.imgur.com/tBI4ZmT.png[/img] When a monster/familiar is blocked, the image in the coliseum could either be blurred (although I don't know how that would work on animated images.... I don't know what makes the coli enemies animate, or if they can be blurred the same CSS way) or, if blurring isn't easy or possible, they can be replaced entirely by a floating warning box (so there's something to click on still). [img]https://i.imgur.com/iW8LNZ0.png[/img] The familiar versions of the enemies would just be blurred, with a warning over top of them, similar to dragons. Typing in a familiar name would block the associated enemy if there is one, so you don't have to block "octoflyer (enemy)" and "octoflyer (familiar)" both. [img]https://i.imgur.com/984T0rp.png[/img] The item image would be treated separately though, so the familiar item image is still visible even after blocking "octoflyer" in the "hide monster/familiar" options. There could also be the option on blurred familiars and dragons to click and unhide them, although I don't know how that would work on items, since you click to use. So maybe restrict the unhide option to forums and dragon profiles?
Reposting from the last thread about this that Got Itself Vanished:

August 04, 2022 10:17:24
"blur item/enemy by ID#" as an option in settings would be the only way I'd want something like this implemented, so this way each person is responsible for blocking just the items they want to, and no relying on devs to A)curate the phobia lists for them B)have a curated list for their specific uncommon phobia C) get it right and not miss items. With the added stressor of "user A thinks this item needs to be included in the list, User B does not and is upset because now they can't see an item they're fine with."

There used to be a petsite that never got out of beta before dying that had something like that implemented from the beginning where blocked items were replaced with a basic white square, and even people who didn't have phobias loved the feature because we could just blur or hide things to mark off tasks as completed. (On FR, this might translate to blurring Hib Den items you've already turned in.)

I mocked up the idea in my head of how a "choose item by id" option would work because I had nothing better to do today. 8D I hope the text is still legible, the images got squashed to fit the forums.

2qanJLW.png
Account options now has an extra choice right under blocked users for hidden items and dragons.

Qt7I8cF.png
When you click on "manage" you get different categories where you can block things (I mean this COULD be just one list but I over-organize my life and like the idea of dividing them out into different categories like this.) The search box works like the game database, you start typing and names would pop up. You select them to add them to the list.

The three categories I have here are
1:items (the square box ones that show up in the hoard)
2:enemies and familiars (the full animal image, not the items, so you can choose to block the yeti separately from the item image which is just it's arm)
3:dragons by species/pose, or dragons with a specific gene on them.

I've decided here that I do not like seafood items, nor aquatic enemies in the coliseum, and tundra male poses and bane feathers are just right out.

Optionally, there could be an option for "Hide dragons wearing a specific skin or apparel item" that would work the same as genes. The item image in the hoard would still be a separate thing that would be blockable in the "hidden items" list.

Dv415PU.png
Dragons that are of a blocked species/pose, or have a blocked gene would appear as blurred when small, with a little warning on top of them. This would be the same in lairs, auction house, or when the dragon widget is posted in the forums. You can mouse over the dragon to see it's info box for the species/pose/gene info to see why it isn't shown to you, or tap on it to go to the page.

vrSVFbk.png
Larger dragon images in the forums, profile, or front page would have an actual info box on top, showing the info as to why the dragon is blurred. (In this example, it's chicken feathers.) This would probably only work if people used the widget links- it'd be looking at the dragon id/url, not so much the actual image itself. Phoatlshops or dragons in breeding cards, or images hosted off site would not be effected, obviously.

In the case of being able to block dragons wearing a specific apparel (eg, you hate bunnies) you could block a dragon with the rabbit apparel item, and the warning would tell you why without having to search through the apparel list to see why it was blocked. So you would know you're safe to scry the dragon if you wanted to. However, if the dragon was a Tundra M (that I've marked for blocking) AND was wearing rabbit apparel, both would be listed in the warning box and I would easily know not to scry it.

(Yes, you could just scroll through apparel or read the dragon info box, but the info pulled into the warning just makes it easier.)

NzBaUaI.png
For items that have been blocked, the images would just get a css blur overlay on them, and then in the mouseover, there's another warning box that it's been blurred because of user options.
Adding a CSS blur to an item does NOT require adding new item art for everything, it's just something you add like "img:blur" to the code. You can even do it to items yourself in inspect elements. :)

n24JlkZ.png
Another option would be to put warning boxes on top of the items, but that would make them stand out more than just blurring them.

tBI4ZmT.png
When a monster/familiar is blocked, the image in the coliseum could either be blurred (although I don't know how that would work on animated images.... I don't know what makes the coli enemies animate, or if they can be blurred the same CSS way) or, if blurring isn't easy or possible, they can be replaced entirely by a floating warning box (so there's something to click on still).

iW8LNZ0.png
The familiar versions of the enemies would just be blurred, with a warning over top of them, similar to dragons.

Typing in a familiar name would block the associated enemy if there is one, so you don't have to block "octoflyer (enemy)" and "octoflyer (familiar)" both.

984T0rp.png
The item image would be treated separately though, so the familiar item image is still visible even after blocking "octoflyer" in the "hide monster/familiar" options.

There could also be the option on blurred familiars and dragons to click and unhide them, although I don't know how that would work on items, since you click to use. So maybe restrict the unhide option to forums and dragon profiles?
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
All images would require the ability to hide them, for example I know of at least one player who has a phobia of birds.

I have no issue with the option to hide any image you want, it is up to the devs to decide if that is possible.
All images would require the ability to hide them, for example I know of at least one player who has a phobia of birds.

I have no issue with the option to hide any image you want, it is up to the devs to decide if that is possible.
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
[quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2023-05-16 21:14:21" ] always support for a user-end toggle of what icons they dont want to see. i don't want there to be filters for specific phobias because then staff has to arbitrarily decide which phobias are "more important", so leaving it up to the user to curate their own experience is best. [/quote] This, as well as for genes/eye types/apparel, etc
Kuroikumo wrote on 2023-05-16 21:14:21:
always support for a user-end toggle of what icons they dont want to see. i don't want there to be filters for specific phobias because then staff has to arbitrarily decide which phobias are "more important", so leaving it up to the user to curate their own experience is best.
This, as well as for genes/eye types/apparel, etc
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2023-05-16 20:03:44" ] I always thought it was a good idea to tag all items and then let users select which tags are visible/invisible to them. It'd be nice if this could even be coded to extend to genes and apparel and skins too. [/quote] Massive support! Not just because it would improve players' mental health regarding certain triggers, but because a generalized tagging system would just be... really, really great in general. At present it's impossible to do a generalized search for a particular 'type' of animal such as canine/feline familiars, or weapons. Just the other day I'd accidentally removed a sword from my dragon and spent a good hour trying and failing to pull it back from my inventory because it was a [i]rapier[/i], and therefore did not show up under sword or blade. I imagine this presents a problem to users with phobias as well. You can't exactly censor all spiders when some of them are named like, "illustrious octo-needles" lol
gemajgall wrote on 2023-05-16 20:03:44:
I always thought it was a good idea to tag all items and then let users select which tags are visible/invisible to them. It'd be nice if this could even be coded to extend to genes and apparel and skins too.

Massive support! Not just because it would improve players' mental health regarding certain triggers, but because a generalized tagging system would just be... really, really great in general. At present it's impossible to do a generalized search for a particular 'type' of animal such as canine/feline familiars, or weapons. Just the other day I'd accidentally removed a sword from my dragon and spent a good hour trying and failing to pull it back from my inventory because it was a rapier, and therefore did not show up under sword or blade.

I imagine this presents a problem to users with phobias as well. You can't exactly censor all spiders when some of them are named like, "illustrious octo-needles" lol
JrBnUx0.pngq9GXCbk.pngsTpMZa9.png
I have long supported something like this.

I do understand that it would be a lot of work, but once the framework is in place, it should be easy to maintain it and add new items/tags/whatever to it.

I also like the idea of tagging, not just for phobias etc.. but also because, as said above, it could help with finding specific things.

Want a weapon? Well, search Weapons. Or Swords.

Want to find out what types of horse familiars there are? Search Horse.

Same thing for skins, should they extend this to those. Want fire themed skins? Search the tag 'fire'.

I also would love the ability to not only have anything I want blocked follow me, but also not have to redo all the blocks when I accidentally update firefox and adblock decides it needs to update as well, and I lose my custom filters....
I have long supported something like this.

I do understand that it would be a lot of work, but once the framework is in place, it should be easy to maintain it and add new items/tags/whatever to it.

I also like the idea of tagging, not just for phobias etc.. but also because, as said above, it could help with finding specific things.

Want a weapon? Well, search Weapons. Or Swords.

Want to find out what types of horse familiars there are? Search Horse.

Same thing for skins, should they extend this to those. Want fire themed skins? Search the tag 'fire'.

I also would love the ability to not only have anything I want blocked follow me, but also not have to redo all the blocks when I accidentally update firefox and adblock decides it needs to update as well, and I lose my custom filters....

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Supported if it's a setting under user-account as a toggle-switch.
Otherwise that would be...a LOT.

Although that would be a lot to tag every single item with triggers. Hrm...
Supported if it's a setting under user-account as a toggle-switch.
Otherwise that would be...a LOT.

Although that would be a lot to tag every single item with triggers. Hrm...
She/Her

plague_banner.png
+ Pinging OK, Chill, I play to enjoy cute, funny Dergs and admire other's creativity.
You can kinda already do this with browser extensions, in case you'd like to look into that, but having a "built in" way to block images to the site would be convenient and help out mobile users too or people who have lag so sounds good to me. Although would probably only apply to FR-owned image assets like items and site art so better hope someone doesn't have spiders in their signature or something
You can kinda already do this with browser extensions, in case you'd like to look into that, but having a "built in" way to block images to the site would be convenient and help out mobile users too or people who have lag so sounds good to me. Although would probably only apply to FR-owned image assets like items and site art so better hope someone doesn't have spiders in their signature or something
[quote name="Temora" date="2023-05-18 10:44:49" ] You can kinda already do this with browser extensions, in case you'd like to look into that, but having a "built in" way to block images to the site would be convenient and help out mobile users too or people who have lag so sounds good to me. Although would probably only apply to FR-owned image assets like items and site art so better hope someone doesn't have spiders in their signature or something [/quote] Places like forums and bios are always going to be a place that people need to be careful, but having the ability to turn off images, or just turn off signatures completely (I prefer the second) would help with that issue.
Temora wrote on 2023-05-18 10:44:49:
Places like forums and bios are always going to be a place that people need to be careful, but having the ability to turn off images, or just turn off signatures completely (I prefer the second) would help with that issue.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="clockworkMoose" date="2023-05-17 05:44:05" ] Reposting from the last thread about this that Got Itself Vanished: August 04, 2022 10:17:24 "blur item/enemy by ID#" as an option in settings would be the only way I'd want something like this implemented, so this way each person is responsible for blocking just the items they want to, and no relying on devs to A)curate the phobia lists for them B)have a curated list for their specific uncommon phobia C) get it right and not miss items. With the added stressor of "user A thinks this item needs to be included in the list, User B does not and is upset because now they can't see an item they're fine with." There used to be a petsite that never got out of beta before dying that had something like that implemented from the beginning where blocked items were replaced with a basic white square, and even people who didn't have phobias loved the feature because we could just blur or hide things to mark off tasks as completed. (On FR, this might translate to blurring Hib Den items you've already turned in.) I mocked up the idea in my head of how a "choose item by id" option would work because I had nothing better to do today. 8D I hope the text is still legible, the images got squashed to fit the forums. [...] [/quote] Love this mockup! As a user-controlled feature would be the best way to execute this IMO, for all the reasons you stated, so I'm in full support of this version.
clockworkMoose wrote on 2023-05-17 05:44:05:
Reposting from the last thread about this that Got Itself Vanished:

August 04, 2022 10:17:24
"blur item/enemy by ID#" as an option in settings would be the only way I'd want something like this implemented, so this way each person is responsible for blocking just the items they want to, and no relying on devs to A)curate the phobia lists for them B)have a curated list for their specific uncommon phobia C) get it right and not miss items. With the added stressor of "user A thinks this item needs to be included in the list, User B does not and is upset because now they can't see an item they're fine with."

There used to be a petsite that never got out of beta before dying that had something like that implemented from the beginning where blocked items were replaced with a basic white square, and even people who didn't have phobias loved the feature because we could just blur or hide things to mark off tasks as completed. (On FR, this might translate to blurring Hib Den items you've already turned in.)

I mocked up the idea in my head of how a "choose item by id" option would work because I had nothing better to do today. 8D I hope the text is still legible, the images got squashed to fit the forums.
[...]

Love this mockup! As a user-controlled feature would be the best way to execute this IMO, for all the reasons you stated, so I'm in full support of this version.
Esme, a very red and Plague-themed Skydancer. A medallion depicting the Plaguebringer in profile.
1 2 3 4 5