Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Spiders & Tiny Holes: Turn Off Triggers
1 2 3 4 5
PLEASE PLEASE BIG SUPPORT. because of the dryads in woodland i have severe problems with one specific drop (shown in OP) that makes grinding that venue horrible for me, and if i could mute that item somehow that would save me a lot of heartache.

The hibden task for that specific item was horrible because i have a genuine fear of that creature irl and the artwork is so realistic it really bothers me.

I know it would be a lot of work but with all the realistic depictions of common phobias in the game, i think it would help a lot of people.
PLEASE PLEASE BIG SUPPORT. because of the dryads in woodland i have severe problems with one specific drop (shown in OP) that makes grinding that venue horrible for me, and if i could mute that item somehow that would save me a lot of heartache.

The hibden task for that specific item was horrible because i have a genuine fear of that creature irl and the artwork is so realistic it really bothers me.

I know it would be a lot of work but with all the realistic depictions of common phobias in the game, i think it would help a lot of people.
Support! I've never wanted to hide anything in game myself, but I can see this would be hugely beneficial for individual players, and making it a feature that the individual would toggle for themselves means nobody else has to be affected and mods wouldn't have to fine-tune the system. Just give all familiars and hoard items a blur switch. And as others have pointed out, you don't need to know what it's called, you just hit the toggle when you see something you don't like, and hey presto! You never have to see it again! But it doesn't stop people from using them to get achievements or other benefits - or from selling them.

I guess you could do a similar thing to blur out dragons with certain features, like eye types, genes or skins which some players don't like, but the coding for that would be trickier.

@Jemadar I'm absolutely with you in wanting a user-customised general tag filter system, that would be so awesome; but that's a separate coding issue, it wouldn't work the same way as an artwork toggle.
Support! I've never wanted to hide anything in game myself, but I can see this would be hugely beneficial for individual players, and making it a feature that the individual would toggle for themselves means nobody else has to be affected and mods wouldn't have to fine-tune the system. Just give all familiars and hoard items a blur switch. And as others have pointed out, you don't need to know what it's called, you just hit the toggle when you see something you don't like, and hey presto! You never have to see it again! But it doesn't stop people from using them to get achievements or other benefits - or from selling them.

I guess you could do a similar thing to blur out dragons with certain features, like eye types, genes or skins which some players don't like, but the coding for that would be trickier.

@Jemadar I'm absolutely with you in wanting a user-customised general tag filter system, that would be so awesome; but that's a separate coding issue, it wouldn't work the same way as an artwork toggle.
CTF4up6.png
@IndigoStarshine You were probably joking, but just in case you didn't realise, I'm afraid that screeching will never deter a spider. It can't hear you! (I don't think it can smell you, either.) Same with any other insect/creepy crawly, or snakes. They can all feel vibrations though, so maybe stamping could help, if the surface you're stamping on carries vibrations well (and please don't stamp ON the critter!)

What spiders are doing is running towards the nearest Big Shadow Hidey Place, because they don't like being in a large, bright, open space where predators can get them. You are too large to register as a predator, they probably class people as trees or similar. So if you are the only Big Shadow it can see, such as in a bright white shiny bathroom, it'll run towards you!* The only effective thing you can do is run away from the spider and (hopefully) get someone else to remove [not kill] it for you. Good luck! ^-^

*Alternatively, there's a high chance you only SEE the spiders which are running towards you, not the ones which are going another way. So there are selective criteria here for What Spiders Are Actually Doing.

I hope that was helpful, it was genuinely meant as a sympathetic attempt to explain that spiders are definitely not out to get you personally. They don't even know you're there, and would avoid you too if they had any idea!
@IndigoStarshine You were probably joking, but just in case you didn't realise, I'm afraid that screeching will never deter a spider. It can't hear you! (I don't think it can smell you, either.) Same with any other insect/creepy crawly, or snakes. They can all feel vibrations though, so maybe stamping could help, if the surface you're stamping on carries vibrations well (and please don't stamp ON the critter!)

What spiders are doing is running towards the nearest Big Shadow Hidey Place, because they don't like being in a large, bright, open space where predators can get them. You are too large to register as a predator, they probably class people as trees or similar. So if you are the only Big Shadow it can see, such as in a bright white shiny bathroom, it'll run towards you!* The only effective thing you can do is run away from the spider and (hopefully) get someone else to remove [not kill] it for you. Good luck! ^-^

*Alternatively, there's a high chance you only SEE the spiders which are running towards you, not the ones which are going another way. So there are selective criteria here for What Spiders Are Actually Doing.

I hope that was helpful, it was genuinely meant as a sympathetic attempt to explain that spiders are definitely not out to get you personally. They don't even know you're there, and would avoid you too if they had any idea!
CTF4up6.png
i would support something entirely user-side where each person can manage their own visibility settings by item ID / familiar name / etc.

that is 100% the *only* viable way to do it, i think. with the massive undertaking this would be, if it were left to staff things would almost have to be automated, and that means things would be missed. a lot of things would be missed. no offense to them, but the dressing room still has all of this stuff and each of their colorways listed as 'head' pieces, seemingly because in one myriad pose there are parts that sit behind the head (mirror M seems to be the culprit for many) and that's how the program they used sorted them, by what lineart it touches.

the logic is weird but present. in the dressing room this is workable--there are no real stakes besides cluttering up the list with stuff people definitely weren't searching for.

in an 'accessibility / safety' feature, slightly-wonky computer logic doesn't fly very well, though. at best it makes the enormous effort required to implement this only slightly more effective than someone using a 3rd party extension, at worst it makes the site painful to use because you never know what it's possibly blocking or, in this case, *not* blocking. (going back to my example: 'standard of the [deity]' banners do not appear in the body, wings, and legs categories despite overlapping them much more often than head.)

so this honestly kind of needs to be user curated to be effective. and since severity is a spectrum the most functional implementation would let individual users pick for themselves based on utterly objective criteria, which is ID# or searchable name.
i would support something entirely user-side where each person can manage their own visibility settings by item ID / familiar name / etc.

that is 100% the *only* viable way to do it, i think. with the massive undertaking this would be, if it were left to staff things would almost have to be automated, and that means things would be missed. a lot of things would be missed. no offense to them, but the dressing room still has all of this stuff and each of their colorways listed as 'head' pieces, seemingly because in one myriad pose there are parts that sit behind the head (mirror M seems to be the culprit for many) and that's how the program they used sorted them, by what lineart it touches.

the logic is weird but present. in the dressing room this is workable--there are no real stakes besides cluttering up the list with stuff people definitely weren't searching for.

in an 'accessibility / safety' feature, slightly-wonky computer logic doesn't fly very well, though. at best it makes the enormous effort required to implement this only slightly more effective than someone using a 3rd party extension, at worst it makes the site painful to use because you never know what it's possibly blocking or, in this case, *not* blocking. (going back to my example: 'standard of the [deity]' banners do not appear in the body, wings, and legs categories despite overlapping them much more often than head.)

so this honestly kind of needs to be user curated to be effective. and since severity is a spectrum the most functional implementation would let individual users pick for themselves based on utterly objective criteria, which is ID# or searchable name.
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2023-05-17 19:44:11" ] I have long supported something like this. I do understand that it would be a lot of work, but once the framework is in place, it should be easy to maintain it and add new items/tags/whatever to it. I also like the idea of tagging, not just for phobias etc.. but also because, as said above, it could help with finding specific things. Want a weapon? Well, search Weapons. Or Swords. Want to find out what types of horse familiars there are? Search Horse. Same thing for skins, should they extend this to those. Want fire themed skins? Search the tag 'fire'. I also would love the ability to not only have anything I want blocked follow me, but also not have to redo all the blocks when I accidentally update firefox and adblock decides it needs to update as well, and I lose my custom filters.... [/quote] Yes i would like this too I also think this is good because it means we can get more spider/snake items since people who have phobia can have them automatically blocked and it will be easier for me to find these since I will look for them I would also like to bookmark tags so I can find my favorite types of things Oh and the skins i need that feature i don't pay attention to the festival skins and would like to be able to find them in the ah when I need a skin for a dragon i would also like to be able to filter by festival There is already a feature kinda similar that is already implemented, the color tag thingy for everything (using dragon colors), maybe this suggestion can work kinda similar
Jemadar wrote on 2023-05-17 19:44:11:
I have long supported something like this.

I do understand that it would be a lot of work, but once the framework is in place, it should be easy to maintain it and add new items/tags/whatever to it.

I also like the idea of tagging, not just for phobias etc.. but also because, as said above, it could help with finding specific things.

Want a weapon? Well, search Weapons. Or Swords.

Want to find out what types of horse familiars there are? Search Horse.

Same thing for skins, should they extend this to those. Want fire themed skins? Search the tag 'fire'.

I also would love the ability to not only have anything I want blocked follow me, but also not have to redo all the blocks when I accidentally update firefox and adblock decides it needs to update as well, and I lose my custom filters....
Yes i would like this too

I also think this is good because it means we can get more spider/snake items since people who have phobia can have them automatically blocked and it will be easier for me to find these since I will look for them

I would also like to bookmark tags so I can find my favorite types of things

Oh and the skins i need that feature i don't pay attention to the festival skins and would like to be able to find them in the ah when I need a skin for a dragon i would also like to be able to filter by festival

There is already a feature kinda similar that is already implemented, the color tag thingy for everything (using dragon colors), maybe this suggestion can work kinda similar
my colors!
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
I still agree with this, as there's some things that simple cannot be eliminated via an adblock. Like, if a person gets migraines from Hypnotic, blocking one Hypnotic gene won't work. That player would have to disable each and every single dragon encountered due to how image layering works. Whereas a site-placed system would either blur out all dragons with Hypnotic or would display those as Basic. The same applies with skins, accents, and apparel.

Likewise, forum vistas cannot be disabled without ripping out all forum info, including the user's name and stats. Being able to disable, say the black widow vista, without losing an important part of the forums would probably help a lot of people. I also think there should be an option to hide all forum signatures (since the staff cannot be expected to reasonably hide the just the outside images displayed there). I know it'd help me a lot if I could hide all forum signatures simply because those with moving gifs catch my eye so much it makes it hard to type.

EDIT: Also, those above make great points about how a flagging system would be great to help users find items. Plus, it might allow plague to finally have their aesthetic if squeamish users could just block related tags.
I still agree with this, as there's some things that simple cannot be eliminated via an adblock. Like, if a person gets migraines from Hypnotic, blocking one Hypnotic gene won't work. That player would have to disable each and every single dragon encountered due to how image layering works. Whereas a site-placed system would either blur out all dragons with Hypnotic or would display those as Basic. The same applies with skins, accents, and apparel.

Likewise, forum vistas cannot be disabled without ripping out all forum info, including the user's name and stats. Being able to disable, say the black widow vista, without losing an important part of the forums would probably help a lot of people. I also think there should be an option to hide all forum signatures (since the staff cannot be expected to reasonably hide the just the outside images displayed there). I know it'd help me a lot if I could hide all forum signatures simply because those with moving gifs catch my eye so much it makes it hard to type.

EDIT: Also, those above make great points about how a flagging system would be great to help users find items. Plus, it might allow plague to finally have their aesthetic if squeamish users could just block related tags.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Just as a clarification, I do *not* want a user tagging system, but rather for the developers to create tags and add them (or allow users to suggest tags).

I am afraid that if users were allowed to create their own tags, it would still be a nightmare to find anything, as you never know who would tag something with what tag, and whether they spelled it correctly, or use an obscure synonym for something etc..

So having the admins create a set of tags (and perhaps allow users to suggest tags) that users could use to help tag works would be far better than allowing users to create tags.
Just as a clarification, I do *not* want a user tagging system, but rather for the developers to create tags and add them (or allow users to suggest tags).

I am afraid that if users were allowed to create their own tags, it would still be a nightmare to find anything, as you never know who would tag something with what tag, and whether they spelled it correctly, or use an obscure synonym for something etc..

So having the admins create a set of tags (and perhaps allow users to suggest tags) that users could use to help tag works would be far better than allowing users to create tags.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2023-07-06 18:04:46" ] Just as a clarification, I do *not* want a user tagging system, but rather for the developers to create tags and add them (or allow users to suggest tags). I am afraid that if users were allowed to create their own tags, it would still be a nightmare to find anything, as you never know who would tag something with what tag, and whether they spelled it correctly, or use an obscure synonym for something etc.. So having the admins create a set of tags (and perhaps allow users to suggest tags) that users could use to help tag works would be far better than allowing users to create tags. [/quote] I agree with this too, again just to be clear on what I meant in a prior post.
Jemadar wrote on 2023-07-06 18:04:46:

I agree with this too, again just to be clear on what I meant in a prior post.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Support being able to "invisi-star" the hoard because that should be very simple to do given that we already have the starring mechanic implemented. However, I would like to point out that you can simply adblock the jpg of any FR item or vista in the game and it will not show up on any page on the site (except possibly coli drops, as I haven't tested that)--I believe that you can even still let the site play ads while blocking the unwanted images as well. I would really encourage you to do this even as a temporary measure if you think it would improve your mental health!
Support being able to "invisi-star" the hoard because that should be very simple to do given that we already have the starring mechanic implemented. However, I would like to point out that you can simply adblock the jpg of any FR item or vista in the game and it will not show up on any page on the site (except possibly coli drops, as I haven't tested that)--I believe that you can even still let the site play ads while blocking the unwanted images as well. I would really encourage you to do this even as a temporary measure if you think it would improve your mental health!
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
[quote name="FliptheFrog" date="2023-07-06 20:40:07" ] Support being able to "invisi-star" the hoard because that should be very simple to do given that we already have the starring mechanic implemented. However, I would like to point out that you can simply adblock the jpg of any FR item or vista in the game and it will not show up on any page on the site (except possibly coli drops, as I haven't tested that)--I believe that you can even still let the site play ads while blocking the unwanted images as well. I would really encourage you to do this even as a temporary measure if you think it would improve your mental health! [/quote] I would like to counter point out that not everyone has access to adblock (not their device, adblockers don't work for their devices, have to do it across multiple devices they use and so on) and you can't really adblock things like genes and apparel. I agree that if a person *can* adblock things, then doing so is great. However, I recently updated Firefox, and it broke my adblock, so had to redownload it, and then had to go through and reblock all the things I originally had blocked. (I also don't know about the coli drops, but I do know that it won't block images in the coli captchas. Nor coli enemies, at least I haven't figured out how to do that if it is possible)
FliptheFrog wrote on 2023-07-06 20:40:07:
I would like to counter point out that not everyone has access to adblock (not their device, adblockers don't work for their devices, have to do it across multiple devices they use and so on) and you can't really adblock things like genes and apparel.

I agree that if a person *can* adblock things, then doing so is great. However, I recently updated Firefox, and it broke my adblock, so had to redownload it, and then had to go through and reblock all the things I originally had blocked.

(I also don't know about the coli drops, but I do know that it won't block images in the coli captchas. Nor coli enemies, at least I haven't figured out how to do that if it is possible)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5