Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | When making fandragons/OCs into dragons
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thus far all three of my OC dragons have had both fitting eyes and fitting elements, and I theme their breed primarily off of their personalities (both in breed and their pose's expression), but since Mae would be better as a Fire dragon but is Arcane instead I'd have to go with looks. Angel got lucky though because while she's a Lightning type I still managed to get the blue+brown with a twinge of grey anyways so it worked out.

TLDR: I'd say a mix of both but prioritizing looks 90% of the time.

Edit: Oh, also, in terms of genes and colors specifically, since my characters are mostly humanoids I go for thematic colorations that fit well for the character since I feel like skin tones would look really weird and borderline inappropriate even with apparel.
Thus far all three of my OC dragons have had both fitting eyes and fitting elements, and I theme their breed primarily off of their personalities (both in breed and their pose's expression), but since Mae would be better as a Fire dragon but is Arcane instead I'd have to go with looks. Angel got lucky though because while she's a Lightning type I still managed to get the blue+brown with a twinge of grey anyways so it worked out.

TLDR: I'd say a mix of both but prioritizing looks 90% of the time.

Edit: Oh, also, in terms of genes and colors specifically, since my characters are mostly humanoids I go for thematic colorations that fit well for the character since I feel like skin tones would look really weird and borderline inappropriate even with apparel.
He/she/them
FR +3
Information+Wishlist+Art Shop!
Aether adopts!
My colorwheel project!

This is a reminder to be patient with new players in the suggestions forum if they post something commonly suggested! The forum search isn't particularly outstanding or obvious.
RcqRLxb.png
i try my best to make everything visually match (primary = skintone, secondary = hair) and do my best to create outfits as close as possible as well.

(a few of my older fandragons (and some new ones) deviate from this, but i have a more picky taste now, so it tends to be a struggle sometimes whenever i'm trying to make OC dragons or fandragons lmao)
i try my best to make everything visually match (primary = skintone, secondary = hair) and do my best to create outfits as close as possible as well.

(a few of my older fandragons (and some new ones) deviate from this, but i have a more picky taste now, so it tends to be a struggle sometimes whenever i'm trying to make OC dragons or fandragons lmao)
N i c k
"Fear not the night."
→ he/him
dd9d37c13149d4412f933c2662309cbb42245e81.png
i always try my best to match the colors/eyes/genes as much as possible! it makes the character more recognizable that way
i always try my best to match the colors/eyes/genes as much as possible! it makes the character more recognizable that way
I match the eye color where i can, but honestly the vibe is the top priority for me.

If a character has major wind powers and black eyes, she’s going to be a wind dragon, dangit. My active technically should have blue eyes, but her character feels like such a light dragon.

My “Monster Trio” should have black, blue/grey, black, but I bought Zoro before I thought about eye colors. Light works really well anyway; I can actually tell he has eyes. Water works for Sanji, but I just had this feeling that Luffy needed to be fire.

My Unholy Trinity should have blue, black/dark brown, and hazel. But there isn’t really a hazel, and they all seem to have affinity to fire (physically or spiritually), plus the ‘unholy’ part, so they became my lair’s spirit trio.

On the flip side, my Gotham City Sirens trio all have eyes that roughly work with canon… but it is largely because the feel of those elements (wind, nature, lightning) seemed to suit those characters also.

My Remy & Emile rat fandragon has rare earth eyes because the visual look IS the vibe in that case.

With the exception of Zoro, I have deliberately chosen or bred the eye colors of every fandragon I’ve got. I am incredibly particular!
I match the eye color where i can, but honestly the vibe is the top priority for me.

If a character has major wind powers and black eyes, she’s going to be a wind dragon, dangit. My active technically should have blue eyes, but her character feels like such a light dragon.

My “Monster Trio” should have black, blue/grey, black, but I bought Zoro before I thought about eye colors. Light works really well anyway; I can actually tell he has eyes. Water works for Sanji, but I just had this feeling that Luffy needed to be fire.

My Unholy Trinity should have blue, black/dark brown, and hazel. But there isn’t really a hazel, and they all seem to have affinity to fire (physically or spiritually), plus the ‘unholy’ part, so they became my lair’s spirit trio.

On the flip side, my Gotham City Sirens trio all have eyes that roughly work with canon… but it is largely because the feel of those elements (wind, nature, lightning) seemed to suit those characters also.

My Remy & Emile rat fandragon has rare earth eyes because the visual look IS the vibe in that case.

With the exception of Zoro, I have deliberately chosen or bred the eye colors of every fandragon I’ve got. I am incredibly particular!
It depends. When I'm looking for a non gen-1 dragon to be a fandragon or an OC dragon, I try to make everything very similar to the character. For example Edgehog was a non gen-1 dragon I used to make an OC dragon. However, when searching for a gen-1 to represent his redesign, I couldn't find a gen-1 with the right colors and earth eyes, so I had to settle for light eyes instead. A similar thing happened with Leith, another gen-1 oc dragon. I couldn't find a gen-1 with ice eyes, so I used a dragon with wind eyes.

When I found Miles, a gen-1 with the perfect colors for a fandragon, I just put a pair of Marva eyes over his lightning eyes, which were the wrong color. I guess it sometimes just depends on whether or not the dragon represents the character. I have several oc dragons with colors that don't match their designs at all. They make up for it in having outfits that match the characters instead.

For colors, I try to take inspiration from the character's appearance. Usually that's based off of clothing, but sometimes it's hard to find colors like that, so I'll use their skin or hair colors instead.
It depends. When I'm looking for a non gen-1 dragon to be a fandragon or an OC dragon, I try to make everything very similar to the character. For example Edgehog was a non gen-1 dragon I used to make an OC dragon. However, when searching for a gen-1 to represent his redesign, I couldn't find a gen-1 with the right colors and earth eyes, so I had to settle for light eyes instead. A similar thing happened with Leith, another gen-1 oc dragon. I couldn't find a gen-1 with ice eyes, so I used a dragon with wind eyes.

When I found Miles, a gen-1 with the perfect colors for a fandragon, I just put a pair of Marva eyes over his lightning eyes, which were the wrong color. I guess it sometimes just depends on whether or not the dragon represents the character. I have several oc dragons with colors that don't match their designs at all. They make up for it in having outfits that match the characters instead.

For colors, I try to take inspiration from the character's appearance. Usually that's based off of clothing, but sometimes it's hard to find colors like that, so I'll use their skin or hair colors instead.
52014.png
I U S
he/she | fr +3
Depends highly on the character or thing I'm working with. Sometimes they might not be visually accurate but fit the vibe really well, others I've tried to get as close as possible. I don't tend to do specific characters too often, more often things or concepts.

Mana is based off of a giant tree character that is also a location. So accuracy fell to the wayside for just getting the vibes right.

And then I've got my mtg dragon that I tried to get as accurate as possible (even with a poor attempt at formatting the bio to look kinda like the card lol).
Depends highly on the character or thing I'm working with. Sometimes they might not be visually accurate but fit the vibe really well, others I've tried to get as close as possible. I don't tend to do specific characters too often, more often things or concepts.

Mana is based off of a giant tree character that is also a location. So accuracy fell to the wayside for just getting the vibes right.

And then I've got my mtg dragon that I tried to get as accurate as possible (even with a poor attempt at formatting the bio to look kinda like the card lol).
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Fandragons I try to stick to looks as close as possible.

Oc dragons I don't really have but with the ones I designed in skring workshop I went more for personality when it came to element and breed and visual match when it cam e to colors and genes. With my own ocs I can change em however I like, because we are talking bout my own ocs lol.
Fandragons I try to stick to looks as close as possible.

Oc dragons I don't really have but with the ones I designed in skring workshop I went more for personality when it came to element and breed and visual match when it cam e to colors and genes. With my own ocs I can change em however I like, because we are talking bout my own ocs lol.
I will put something here eventually.
Personally, I prioritize element over color. Sure, a Celestia with Arcane eyes may have been more accurate and matchy, but Light is closer to the sun that she reigns over.
Personally, I prioritize element over color. Sure, a Celestia with Arcane eyes may have been more accurate and matchy, but Light is closer to the sun that she reigns over.
Water Runestone WishlistFlairotlsFTU Bio GeneratorWant Prismatic Tokens?
Forum pings and PMs welcome.
Most of lair is in HibDen and open for forum games.
This Water Runestone is the most decoration this signature has ever had. I know, it scares me too.
I try to match closer to the character since in my lore the fandragon *is* the character

For example Link is Lightning for his blue eyes, although aesthetic wise I feel like Wind or Earth fit him better.

Same goes for outfits- I try to match them to at least some degree to a character or at least the characters aesthetic. Unfortunately there’s a lot of limitations in FR’s apparel so its never perfect, but I make the effort!
I try to match closer to the character since in my lore the fandragon *is* the character

For example Link is Lightning for his blue eyes, although aesthetic wise I feel like Wind or Earth fit him better.

Same goes for outfits- I try to match them to at least some degree to a character or at least the characters aesthetic. Unfortunately there’s a lot of limitations in FR’s apparel so its never perfect, but I make the effort!
000000000000000dragonsnake.gif
Cis/She/They
rollover at 3:00 AM for me
On mobile often
Mostly inactive

Olifoli.gif
Usually whatever I can afford, typically.

I have a fandragon (not in name, and with altered lore to fit FR) named Toxoplasma, and while she SHOULD have either Arcane (closest visual match to character) or Plague (thematically appropriate to character, no spoilers), she has Wind because she was the cheapest XXY female Rad dragon I could find, and her rainbow patterns were too pretty to pass up XD
Usually whatever I can afford, typically.

I have a fandragon (not in name, and with altered lore to fit FR) named Toxoplasma, and while she SHOULD have either Arcane (closest visual match to character) or Plague (thematically appropriate to character, no spoilers), she has Wind because she was the cheapest XXY female Rad dragon I could find, and her rainbow patterns were too pretty to pass up XD
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.giflfh.png
1 2 3 4 5 6