Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | When making fandragons/OCs into dragons
1 2 3 4 5 6
I try to get as many details correct as possible, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some details if it means being able to get your dragon at all - without waiting a bunch or dropping obscene amounts of money, that is. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/79724110][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/797242/79724110_350.png[/img][/url] Alcamene here canonically has foresty-green eyes, but I wasn't too confident about her ideal colour combo being too common on the site, so I went for a dragon with Earth eyes. Not too fussed about it personally, because the rest of her outfit and colours are perfect! [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/78585450][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/785855/78585450_350.png[/img][/url] Kaskade is sorta the opposite; her eyes are perfect, but her primary is a little on the light and cyany-blue side. That said, I don't have much of a consistent idea on her exact skin tone. Sometimes she looks like Megamind, and other times she's on the darker-blue side of pale blue. Ah, whatever. It took me a whole year to get her from a breeding project. Would've taken twice as long if her primary was Sky. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74573287][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/745733/74573287_350.png[/img][/url] And here's Cicada. I don't even know what her eye colour is.
I try to get as many details correct as possible, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some details if it means being able to get your dragon at all - without waiting a bunch or dropping obscene amounts of money, that is.

79724110_350.png
Alcamene here canonically has foresty-green eyes, but I wasn't too confident about her ideal colour combo being too common on the site, so I went for a dragon with Earth eyes. Not too fussed about it personally, because the rest of her outfit and colours are perfect!

78585450_350.png
Kaskade is sorta the opposite; her eyes are perfect, but her primary is a little on the light and cyany-blue side. That said, I don't have much of a consistent idea on her exact skin tone. Sometimes she looks like Megamind, and other times she's on the darker-blue side of pale blue. Ah, whatever. It took me a whole year to get her from a breeding project. Would've taken twice as long if her primary was Sky.

74573287_350.png
And here's Cicada. I don't even know what her eye colour is.
forum signature under construction WOOOHOOO!
I tend to go for accuracy, but I put a flight rising spin on the character regardless. Eye color is a must, colors that match them are a must, but clothing doesn't have to be perfect.

Howeeever, a lot of them are very vibe-y.
I tend to go for accuracy, but I put a flight rising spin on the character regardless. Eye color is a must, colors that match them are a must, but clothing doesn't have to be perfect.

Howeeever, a lot of them are very vibe-y.
aC86tUH.png mlHpBMC.png
w3eXdQQ.png
wAfJ7Bn.png4Gh3xRo.png
0XHtpWy.pngz3FSuck.png
When it comes to element I try to match the character's eye color as best as possible. In terms of genes and body colors, this is dependent on the character's canon look. I try to avoid specific flesh tones for human characters and shoot more for a color that fits with their vibe, though I may try to shoot for their hair color for their secondary depending on breed.
When it comes to element I try to match the character's eye color as best as possible. In terms of genes and body colors, this is dependent on the character's canon look. I try to avoid specific flesh tones for human characters and shoot more for a color that fits with their vibe, though I may try to shoot for their hair color for their secondary depending on breed.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
I go with whatever works best thematically.

If the character's Ice blue eyes are their most important feature, then I'll make certain I get a dragon with Ice eyes.
Long dark hair an iconic part of their look? I'll probably make them an Obelisk or Veilspun with Obsidian secondary for that long black mane of hair.

However, if a character having Flower magic or Waterbending or whatever is an important aspect, then I'll disregard the canonical eye colour in favour of making sure the dragon has the correct elemental alignment representative of that character.
I go with whatever works best thematically.

If the character's Ice blue eyes are their most important feature, then I'll make certain I get a dragon with Ice eyes.
Long dark hair an iconic part of their look? I'll probably make them an Obelisk or Veilspun with Obsidian secondary for that long black mane of hair.

However, if a character having Flower magic or Waterbending or whatever is an important aspect, then I'll disregard the canonical eye colour in favour of making sure the dragon has the correct elemental alignment representative of that character.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I scry something in the Scrying Workshop, dress it up in the Dressing Room then search the AH for the closest dragon I can find. Once I got really lucky and found a perfectly coloured derg on the AH, the other time I settled for quite different colours (that would be mostly covered by the apparel anyway, oh well).
I scry something in the Scrying Workshop, dress it up in the Dressing Room then search the AH for the closest dragon I can find. Once I got really lucky and found a perfectly coloured derg on the AH, the other time I settled for quite different colours (that would be mostly covered by the apparel anyway, oh well).
Newmoon | She/her | FRT +17-19 (depending on daylight savings)

Fandergs | Wishlist

I made a cheap UMA! Click here to order it!
Very particular when it comes to fandragon projects, apparel and all. Dragon breed often matches up with the character's personality or build/appearance. To some of my benefit though, eye color doesn't really matter when you're going to slap goggles on the end product quite often. I usually have to breed for certain colors/breed or otherwise the dragon looks really off to me.

Definitely did not have the patience for one dragon whose parents were a Wildclaw and a Coatl with weird color ranges. Sometimes it's just easier say close enough and stick with it. He looks close enough, and I kind of like him better than what I had planned.
Very particular when it comes to fandragon projects, apparel and all. Dragon breed often matches up with the character's personality or build/appearance. To some of my benefit though, eye color doesn't really matter when you're going to slap goggles on the end product quite often. I usually have to breed for certain colors/breed or otherwise the dragon looks really off to me.

Definitely did not have the patience for one dragon whose parents were a Wildclaw and a Coatl with weird color ranges. Sometimes it's just easier say close enough and stick with it. He looks close enough, and I kind of like him better than what I had planned.
25762.png frame-0-delay-0-1s-1.png
I'm a little bit of both. FR's apparel selection can be a little limiting, so whether a fandragon was made to closely match appearance or made to match vibes is really dependent on how easy it is for me to match the source materials. Also, since some of my fandoms are live-action and I got super tired of making my fandragons skin tone+hair color, a lot of my later fandragons are based more on vibes than appearance. I'm not too picky about eye color either, unless the fandragon is a fae, spiral, or obelisk (bigger eyes), then I go hard for eye color. Very case by case basis. Consistency? I don't know her.
I'm a little bit of both. FR's apparel selection can be a little limiting, so whether a fandragon was made to closely match appearance or made to match vibes is really dependent on how easy it is for me to match the source materials. Also, since some of my fandoms are live-action and I got super tired of making my fandragons skin tone+hair color, a lot of my later fandragons are based more on vibes than appearance. I'm not too picky about eye color either, unless the fandragon is a fae, spiral, or obelisk (bigger eyes), then I go hard for eye color. Very case by case basis. Consistency? I don't know her.
Vista: Progress Ribbon onl96wk.png Vista: Rainbow Ribbon
eye colors are a must and i try to capture my ocs' general vibes with their colors and breeds. i actually just bought and gened an oc dragon that i've been trying to find for MONTHS because i'm so picky... it also doesn't help that i want all of them to be g1's too fasljdkfldksj

as for apparel / accents, i just go with whatever matches their vibes the closest.
eye colors are a must and i try to capture my ocs' general vibes with their colors and breeds. i actually just bought and gened an oc dragon that i've been trying to find for MONTHS because i'm so picky... it also doesn't help that i want all of them to be g1's too fasljdkfldksj

as for apparel / accents, i just go with whatever matches their vibes the closest.
________________________y6Tz96p.png
x
no stars above us
adrian | they / them | fr+2

______aboutwishlist
I try to be as close in appearance as possible. However, I tend to get impatient when I really want a fandragon, so I sometimes just buy whatever dragon currently available in the AH is closest in appearance. I'm all about having as accurate eyes as possible, though. Used to buy less accurate dragons just for a specific eye color before it became easier to change eye color lol
I try to be as close in appearance as possible. However, I tend to get impatient when I really want a fandragon, so I sometimes just buy whatever dragon currently available in the AH is closest in appearance. I'm all about having as accurate eyes as possible, though. Used to buy less accurate dragons just for a specific eye color before it became easier to change eye color lol
39171734.pnguglyplushies.pngsephydragflipped.png
I prefer to create the closest visual match possible. I usually give some leeway on the eyes (especially on breeds where they're harder to see) but sometimes not even that In terms of overall colours... I usually decide on an acceptable range of colours in scrying workshop and then search for dragons with those colours. Sometimes though, I'm limited to only one acceptable colour which uh. Oof. Does make finding that perfect dragon super satisfying though Here I had to go for second-best in terms of eyes because the colour scheme I needed was so unconventional that most candidate dragons were exalted immediately (plus, I needed specifically a Robin/vermillion dragon, with some leeway on a metallic goldish tert). The fact that I managed to scout this one out before then was pure luck [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74606668][img] https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=2149423&skin=37103&apparel=20548,1292,13078,690,10963,424,6034,17255,454,10880,27979,389,17265,11201,12913&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] (Needed pastel arcane eyes strictly speaking. Settled for lighting as it still matches the overall colour scheme well enough. Made pastel, the difference wouldn't be too noticeable) For all of my hollow knight fandragons, eye colour didn't matter at all (because of the masks lol). I just bought whatever matched my gene plans. And thank goodness for that because obsidian primary g1s are expensive and annoying to find [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66287161][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/662872/66287161_350.png[/img][/url] And this dragon I refused to compromise on eye colour. It's too prominent on the original design and the preferred breed I chose, so i went looking for earth dragons with aqua primary specifically [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65845640][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/658457/65845640_350.png[/img][/url]
I prefer to create the closest visual match possible. I usually give some leeway on the eyes (especially on breeds where they're harder to see) but sometimes not even that

In terms of overall colours... I usually decide on an acceptable range of colours in scrying workshop and then search for dragons with those colours. Sometimes though, I'm limited to only one acceptable colour which uh. Oof. Does make finding that perfect dragon super satisfying though

Here I had to go for second-best in terms of eyes because the colour scheme I needed was so unconventional that most candidate dragons were exalted immediately (plus, I needed specifically a Robin/vermillion dragon, with some leeway on a metallic goldish tert). The fact that I managed to scout this one out before then was pure luck
scry?sdid=2149423&skin=37103&apparel=20548,1292,13078,690,10963,424,6034,17255,454,10880,27979,389,17265,11201,12913&xt=dressing.png
(Needed pastel arcane eyes strictly speaking. Settled for lighting as it still matches the overall colour scheme well enough. Made pastel, the difference wouldn't be too noticeable)

For all of my hollow knight fandragons, eye colour didn't matter at all (because of the masks lol). I just bought whatever matched my gene plans. And thank goodness for that because obsidian primary g1s are expensive and annoying to find
66287161_350.png

And this dragon I refused to compromise on eye colour. It's too prominent on the original design and the preferred breed I chose, so i went looking for earth dragons with aqua primary specifically
65845640_350.png
IMG-7121.png

They/Them || || Digital Artist
FR+8/GMT
1 2 3 4 5 6