Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | When making fandragons/OCs into dragons
1 2 3 4 5 6
most of the things i make fandragons for dont really have a theme that relates to any of the elements much anyway so i try to go for looks more

also depends on if the character even has a noticeable eye color/if its even really a main focus of them
most of the things i make fandragons for dont really have a theme that relates to any of the elements much anyway so i try to go for looks more

also depends on if the character even has a noticeable eye color/if its even really a main focus of them
LVVfHp2.png | FR+3
| elune adore
| wishlist
| adopts
86128068.pngw7Yv8Mj.png
I usually do not care about the eyes, if it was a skydancer i wouldnt try and get the same eye color. I use my characters color palettes and try go wild with it, as well as trying to dress them up in a way that sort of represents them. if it was a spiral, yeah i'd try aim for the ocs eye color.

For fandragons i usually try and copy the style of the character
I usually do not care about the eyes, if it was a skydancer i wouldnt try and get the same eye color. I use my characters color palettes and try go wild with it, as well as trying to dress them up in a way that sort of represents them. if it was a spiral, yeah i'd try aim for the ocs eye color.

For fandragons i usually try and copy the style of the character
IxetaBl.pngPcIGNKw.pngbprUbRF.png
OeRHGjw.png
I'd rather have them match the original character to the best of my ability.
I'd rather have them match the original character to the best of my ability.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
If the character has a strong element association then I’ll match element over eye color. And sometimes eye color gets thrown out the window entirely if I want a very specific but very rare color combination.

So I guess I go more for vibe than trying to get things exact, but with FR’s massive apparel selection it’s pretty easy to get very close.
If the character has a strong element association then I’ll match element over eye color. And sometimes eye color gets thrown out the window entirely if I want a very specific but very rare color combination.

So I guess I go more for vibe than trying to get things exact, but with FR’s massive apparel selection it’s pretty easy to get very close.
[font=x]i try to stay within rigid color schemes depending on the character. examples: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/45739242][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/457393/45739242_350.png[/img][/url] [img]https://pm1.narvii.com/6570/07b2a85b85afa292d007a5ca977f33034692efc0_hq.jpg[/img] [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52492609][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/524927/52492609_350.png[/img][/url][/right] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/e7a772640e5793d812a32a1ae1178731/34566289ded090e4-4a/s1280x1920/2171717660280f0462175bd1f9b8bb5f40eba76d.png[/img]
i try to stay within rigid color schemes depending on the character.

examples:
45739242_350.png
07b2a85b85afa292d007a5ca977f33034692efc0_hq.jpg

52492609_350.png
2171717660280f0462175bd1f9b8bb5f40eba76d.png
visit my favorites!

Leszyslz // Junkpile // Wolfsbane // Ruckus // Rowan

she/her. hoards tarantulas and rabbits in-game! ask me about anything dinosaur, cow, or rabbit related :)
I try to match the character's appearance rather than their spirit/personality (as that could make many much more difficult to identify imo since there's more creative liberty, which isn't necessarily a bad thing ofc)

The only issue is sometimes FR doesn't have the right apparel or anything close or the character's art style (if a cartoon/game character) may not show an eye color, at which point I have to just make a guess/pick whatever one I'd like.

Usually the colors match their outfit (or fur) as well rather than skin/hair (otherwise I'd have a bunch of white-range primaries :P)

Their secondary usually will match the hair unless their color scheme is needed for that color slot too.

Example: This guy's secondary matches his character's iconic hat (very well bc of the gene too!) and his color scheme matches the character's general attire + gives a nod to the character who eventually possesses him

However this character has black hair so her secondary reflects that (granted, her whole color-scheme is white/black so maybe not the best example lol)
I try to match the character's appearance rather than their spirit/personality (as that could make many much more difficult to identify imo since there's more creative liberty, which isn't necessarily a bad thing ofc)

The only issue is sometimes FR doesn't have the right apparel or anything close or the character's art style (if a cartoon/game character) may not show an eye color, at which point I have to just make a guess/pick whatever one I'd like.

Usually the colors match their outfit (or fur) as well rather than skin/hair (otherwise I'd have a bunch of white-range primaries :P)

Their secondary usually will match the hair unless their color scheme is needed for that color slot too.

Example: This guy's secondary matches his character's iconic hat (very well bc of the gene too!) and his color scheme matches the character's general attire + gives a nod to the character who eventually possesses him

However this character has black hair so her secondary reflects that (granted, her whole color-scheme is white/black so maybe not the best example lol)
3vHpx6Q.gifto5PExK.gif9pBokCW.gifYqq67Ss.gifqeem2ik.gifGfe13j0.gifom2qNyp.gifjXUW0Lv.gifn6WE0MB.gifTgabe8i.gifScGZkh8.gif
For me, it depends. Some characters really can't translate well into Flight Rising so it's fun to try and get what I can work with to match, especially clothing wise. I prefer to get my fan dragons so close to the original that someone can guess who it is from outfit and colors alone
For me, it depends. Some characters really can't translate well into Flight Rising so it's fun to try and get what I can work with to match, especially clothing wise. I prefer to get my fan dragons so close to the original that someone can guess who it is from outfit and colors alone
Previously: LittleDoctor
GamzP1L.gif
I always, always prefer matching their vibes as opposed to having everything be 1:1 identical. There's already going to be some major changes translating them to a dragon anyway, especially for the dragons who don't exactly have a 'canon' appearance. Or my song and location dragons, who are basically just Vibes entirely.

If a character fits an element INCREDIBLY well, I'm going to have them be said element. canon eye color means Nothing unless I've got literally nothing else to go on. I'd probably have a lot of earth/water/nature fandragons otherwise.

I always, always prefer matching their vibes as opposed to having everything be 1:1 identical. There's already going to be some major changes translating them to a dragon anyway, especially for the dragons who don't exactly have a 'canon' appearance. Or my song and location dragons, who are basically just Vibes entirely.

If a character fits an element INCREDIBLY well, I'm going to have them be said element. canon eye color means Nothing unless I've got literally nothing else to go on. I'd probably have a lot of earth/water/nature fandragons otherwise.

in that case, i think i'd go with whatever looks nicer. almost always, i will prioritize convenience and aesthetic over specific details. however..... gen1s are good :')

if i'm going to embark on a long breeding project to find super specific colours, i want to make sure i have some nice matching eyes, whether that means matching aesthetically for the dragon or matching the details of the reference character.

Lynn unfortunately has water eyes as a dragon because she was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. usually hers are purple. Carolina has ice eyes for the same reason, even though i draw her with bright green eyes. Cerrit as a dragon has earth eyes because this was a cheap dragon on the auction house that had the colours i wanted, and frankly i think the brown looks a lot nicer than his canon yellow eyes would. Ruby has grey eyes just like she does in canon because they're a major character detail, but they also look nice! Camilla and Palamedes have the same story. Beau's eyes are lightning-blue in canon, but i and many other fanartists draw her with brown eyes. i thought lightning eyes stood out very nicely on her dragon face, though, so that's what i went with.

TL;DR, depends on the dragon, my budget, how impatient i am, and the character. go for the vibes
in that case, i think i'd go with whatever looks nicer. almost always, i will prioritize convenience and aesthetic over specific details. however..... gen1s are good :')

if i'm going to embark on a long breeding project to find super specific colours, i want to make sure i have some nice matching eyes, whether that means matching aesthetically for the dragon or matching the details of the reference character.

Lynn unfortunately has water eyes as a dragon because she was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. usually hers are purple. Carolina has ice eyes for the same reason, even though i draw her with bright green eyes. Cerrit as a dragon has earth eyes because this was a cheap dragon on the auction house that had the colours i wanted, and frankly i think the brown looks a lot nicer than his canon yellow eyes would. Ruby has grey eyes just like she does in canon because they're a major character detail, but they also look nice! Camilla and Palamedes have the same story. Beau's eyes are lightning-blue in canon, but i and many other fanartists draw her with brown eyes. i thought lightning eyes stood out very nicely on her dragon face, though, so that's what i went with.

TL;DR, depends on the dragon, my budget, how impatient i am, and the character. go for the vibes
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sailor
she/he
milkchai-cacat.png
I go with re reading how the dragon breeds are then pair it with said character. Say Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) I usually go with Pearlcatcher or Skydancer for a visual appeal, but really he's a guardian, he just wants to protect those around him. (usually I go pearlcatcher when I make him for RE, but Skydancer for Dead by Daylight)

Claire is fierce, but loving so skydancer.

Ada is mysterious, dangerous and aloof and very vein of herself, pearlcatcher imperial or wildclaw (usually go wildclaw for her)

I very much am a perfectionist lol
I go with re reading how the dragon breeds are then pair it with said character. Say Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) I usually go with Pearlcatcher or Skydancer for a visual appeal, but really he's a guardian, he just wants to protect those around him. (usually I go pearlcatcher when I make him for RE, but Skydancer for Dead by Daylight)

Claire is fierce, but loving so skydancer.

Ada is mysterious, dangerous and aloof and very vein of herself, pearlcatcher imperial or wildclaw (usually go wildclaw for her)

I very much am a perfectionist lol
https://imgur.com/rv3YbWH.png https://imgur.com/q7fPxR2.png
W95DLKk.png art by Helbram
1E8JFs6.png [img][/img]nvsyV.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6