Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [MAP][ART] Rootbed (+Dusthide lore?)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
[quote name="Gryphling" date="2021-03-01 16:31:55" ] I was just posting on another thread about how I think the Scarred Wasteland's "meat dirt" is actually a fungus network like the giant honey mushroom in Oregon! It would be pretty poetic if the Behemoth were doing the same thing. Nature and Plague's respective superorganisms spreading thru the earth on opposite sides corners of the continent... [/quote] I am literally dying rn and I think you are right. Both nature and plague are giant organisms. Its so metal. I'm never more glad than to be in nature. Esp now that we have the Pox Consolate as a location.
Gryphling wrote on 2021-03-01 16:31:55:
I was just posting on another thread about how I think the Scarred Wasteland's "meat dirt" is actually a fungus network like the giant honey mushroom in Oregon! It would be pretty poetic if the Behemoth were doing the same thing. Nature and Plague's respective superorganisms spreading thru the earth on opposite sides corners of the continent...

I am literally dying rn and I think you are right. Both nature and plague are giant organisms. Its so metal. I'm never more glad than to be in nature. Esp now that we have the Pox Consolate as a location.
8g7QT7K.png V9b7SpH.png
As someone who started in Nature and is likely to move back next year... I love this.
As someone who started in Nature and is likely to move back next year... I love this.
[quote name="@Nelsothy" date="2021-03-01 19:26:01" ] [quote name="Oranitha" date="2021-03-01 19:22:30" ] [quote name="Nelsothy" date="2021-03-01 16:33:47" ] [quote name="Pyruvae" date="2021-03-01 16:28:42" ] I somehow interpreted the title as like... the Gladekeeper herself being the entire Labyrinth, can you imagine? Anyway I really love your actual theory, like all of it! [/quote] Great news about that! [map poi=71 view=land width=480 height=240][/map] She is! [/quote] I somehow COMPLETELY missed responding to this at the time, but this is 100% my too-weird-for-the-OP headcanon. Glademom made the ultimate bet for the future of her Flight and rooted herself in place. She and the Behemoth are one and the same, and what we think of as the Gladekeeper is either her pre-Behemoth form or an avatar she uses. That's why the Behemoth's so big; it's not that she's playing favorites with one specific tree, it's because the tree is, literally, a god. Presumably other deities are similarly "elemental" but unwilling to take such a drastic leap. Which makes sense, we're both a very primal element, and one that's all about communal survival and cultivation. So of course our deity would be the one willing to chain herself to the land that way. It'd be the natural thematic counter to the "Wandering" Contagion and might explain some of her protective xenophobia. In that form and at that scale, she might think of hostile dragons as a literal virus or infestation of mites. I guess that'd make Nature peeps her symbiotic gut flora or friendly eyebrow mites or something. Humans don't have perfect analogues that I know of. I think deep down I just want dragon gods that go weirder than "dragon but bigger and stronger", and they may well be that weird. Might be that the images we have of them are sort of like humans drawing pictures of angels or eldritch stuff. [/quote] Yum, mutualism... I said somewhere earlier today, Plague's all about getting stronger through competition, while Nature's all about getting stronger through cooperation. What's more cooperative than turning your whole flight into a network of symbiotic organisms? (Side note, I ABSOLUTELY have headcanons about Nature dragons being actual plants, especially the primals...) [/quote] Hell yeah, heeeelll yeaaaah. I joined Nature specifically because symbioses are [i]so[/i] cool, and the fact that that's sort of the driving aesthetic/philosophical heart (vs. It's Just Plants) is why I'll prolly never leave the flight (sorry Luminex). Anyways, you can't just mention you've got plantdragon headcanons and not share one! Very illegal, please rectify <3
@Nelsothy wrote on 2021-03-01 19:26:01:
Oranitha wrote on 2021-03-01 19:22:30:
Nelsothy wrote on 2021-03-01 16:33:47:
Pyruvae wrote on 2021-03-01 16:28:42:
I somehow interpreted the title as like... the Gladekeeper herself being the entire Labyrinth, can you imagine? Anyway I really love your actual theory, like all of it!

Great news about that!

She is!

I somehow COMPLETELY missed responding to this at the time, but this is 100% my too-weird-for-the-OP headcanon.

Glademom made the ultimate bet for the future of her Flight and rooted herself in place. She and the Behemoth are one and the same, and what we think of as the Gladekeeper is either her pre-Behemoth form or an avatar she uses. That's why the Behemoth's so big; it's not that she's playing favorites with one specific tree, it's because the tree is, literally, a god.

Presumably other deities are similarly "elemental" but unwilling to take such a drastic leap. Which makes sense, we're both a very primal element, and one that's all about communal survival and cultivation. So of course our deity would be the one willing to chain herself to the land that way.

It'd be the natural thematic counter to the "Wandering" Contagion and might explain some of her protective xenophobia. In that form and at that scale, she might think of hostile dragons as a literal virus or infestation of mites. I guess that'd make Nature peeps her symbiotic gut flora or friendly eyebrow mites or something. Humans don't have perfect analogues that I know of.

I think deep down I just want dragon gods that go weirder than "dragon but bigger and stronger", and they may well be that weird. Might be that the images we have of them are sort of like humans drawing pictures of angels or eldritch stuff.

Yum, mutualism... I said somewhere earlier today, Plague's all about getting stronger through competition, while Nature's all about getting stronger through cooperation. What's more cooperative than turning your whole flight into a network of symbiotic organisms? (Side note, I ABSOLUTELY have headcanons about Nature dragons being actual plants, especially the primals...)

Hell yeah, heeeelll yeaaaah. I joined Nature specifically because symbioses are so cool, and the fact that that's sort of the driving aesthetic/philosophical heart (vs. It's Just Plants) is why I'll prolly never leave the flight (sorry Luminex).

Anyways, you can't just mention you've got plantdragon headcanons and not share one! Very illegal, please rectify <3
cL9yafY.gif
[quote name="Oranitha" date="2021-03-01 17:56:34" ] [quote name="@MirageTheShadow" date="2021-03-01 16:47:05" ] I need this so much. My library will train and send archivists down there! That's where the Nature ancient is! [/quote] OH I LOVE THIS ANCIENTS IN THE ROOTS. Any thoughts on what they might look like? :O [/quote] Nidhoggr from Norse myth comes to mind, the dragon/serpent that lives in and eats Yggdrasil's roots. It doesn't quite fit but it jumped to mind straight away.
Oranitha wrote on 2021-03-01 17:56:34:
@MirageTheShadow wrote on 2021-03-01 16:47:05:
I need this so much. My library will train and send archivists down there!

That's where the Nature ancient is!

OH I LOVE THIS

ANCIENTS IN THE ROOTS.

Any thoughts on what they might look like? :O

Nidhoggr from Norse myth comes to mind, the dragon/serpent that lives in and eats Yggdrasil's roots. It doesn't quite fit but it jumped to mind straight away.
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
Love everything that's come up in this thread. The idea of a dark root filled underbelly full of eldritch plant monsters is so enticing. XD
Love everything that's come up in this thread. The idea of a dark root filled underbelly full of eldritch plant monsters is so enticing. XD
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
Don't forget we literally gained territory over in plague. The seedscar HAS OUR FLAG. no other flights have anything like this. Nature and plague left permanent marks on each other.

Also seems both flights hate all the others lolllll
Don't forget we literally gained territory over in plague. The seedscar HAS OUR FLAG. no other flights have anything like this. Nature and plague left permanent marks on each other.

Also seems both flights hate all the others lolllll
8g7QT7K.png V9b7SpH.png
[quote name="@Avessa" date="2021-03-01 20:08:06" ] Love everything that's come up in this thread. The idea of a dark root filled underbelly full of eldritch plant monsters is so enticing. XD [/quote] I totally agree; anecdotal, but I feel like the wide majority of Nature folks I talk to are pretty down for eldritch plant monsters. Guess staff made a great call having Nature and Plague be sister flights [emoji=wildclaw winking size=2] I really dig Nidhoggr as an idea. It'd be a fun departure from the mythology; we'd still get a serpentine Ancient that eats roots, but as designed by Gladekeeper, it might be a sort of "pruner". I could see it as a many-legged "tendriled" cavewyrm with "gecko pad" feet, sort of evocative of a vine, and a body furrowed down the middle to accept plantlife for transplant, and maybe a kind of scythe-mouth with resin stores for pruning & sealing the wound. It would be horrible as an actual Ancient probably, very uggo, but lorewise I think it'd be neat-o to get a "designed symbiont" dragon.
@Avessa wrote on 2021-03-01 20:08:06:

I totally agree; anecdotal, but I feel like the wide majority of Nature folks I talk to are pretty down for eldritch plant monsters. Guess staff made a great call having Nature and Plague be sister flights

I really dig Nidhoggr as an idea. It'd be a fun departure from the mythology; we'd still get a serpentine Ancient that eats roots, but as designed by Gladekeeper, it might be a sort of "pruner". I could see it as a many-legged "tendriled" cavewyrm with "gecko pad" feet, sort of evocative of a vine, and a body furrowed down the middle to accept plantlife for transplant, and maybe a kind of scythe-mouth with resin stores for pruning & sealing the wound. It would be horrible as an actual Ancient probably, very uggo, but lorewise I think it'd be neat-o to get a "designed symbiont" dragon.
cL9yafY.gif
[quote name="Oranitha" date="2021-03-01 20:56:55" ] [quote name="Avessa" date="2021-03-01 20:08:06" ] Love everything that's come up in this thread. The idea of a dark root filled underbelly full of eldritch plant monsters is so enticing. XD [/quote] I totally agree; anecdotal, but I feel like the wide majority of Nature folks I talk to are pretty down for eldritch plant monsters. Guess staff made a great call having Nature and Plague be sister flights [emoji=wildclaw winking size=2] I really dig Nidhoggr as an idea. It'd be a fun departure from the mythology; we'd still get a serpentine Ancient that eats roots, but as designed by Gladekeeper, it might be a sort of "pruner". I could see it as a many-legged "tendriled" cavewyrm with "gecko pad" feet, sort of evocative of a vine, and a body furrowed down the middle to accept plantlife for transplant, and maybe a kind of scythe-mouth with resin stores for pruning & sealing the wound. It would be horrible as an actual Ancient probably, very uggo, but lorewise I think it'd be neat-o to get a "designed symbiont" dragon. [/quote] You've heard of Blossom and Branches, now get ready for: Every Concievable Plant Species As Terts
Oranitha wrote on 2021-03-01 20:56:55:
Avessa wrote on 2021-03-01 20:08:06:

I totally agree; anecdotal, but I feel like the wide majority of Nature folks I talk to are pretty down for eldritch plant monsters. Guess staff made a great call having Nature and Plague be sister flights

I really dig Nidhoggr as an idea. It'd be a fun departure from the mythology; we'd still get a serpentine Ancient that eats roots, but as designed by Gladekeeper, it might be a sort of "pruner". I could see it as a many-legged "tendriled" cavewyrm with "gecko pad" feet, sort of evocative of a vine, and a body furrowed down the middle to accept plantlife for transplant, and maybe a kind of scythe-mouth with resin stores for pruning & sealing the wound. It would be horrible as an actual Ancient probably, very uggo, but lorewise I think it'd be neat-o to get a "designed symbiont" dragon.

You've heard of Blossom and Branches, now get ready for: Every Concievable Plant Species As Terts
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png84.png
I mean it is a tree that’s 1000ft+... maybe the inside of the tree is hollowed and it’s a maze to get to the top...
I mean it is a tree that’s 1000ft+... maybe the inside of the tree is hollowed and it’s a maze to get to the top...
THEY/THEM
9awtpCi.jpg
* s p a r k l e s * NAP TIME FOR THE GAYS * s p a r k l e s *
I mean I think our ancient is totally inside the behemoth
I mean I think our ancient is totally inside the behemoth
8g7QT7K.png V9b7SpH.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22