Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | From the Brink of Extinction (Bane100HC)
1 2 3 4 5
From the Brink of Extinction

So i've been following 100 Hatchling Challenges for a while and I decided that it was time to throw my hat into the ring. Anyway here are the rules...
Quote:
1. This challenge begins with the selection of your matriarch. To pick one, she must fulfill two requirements. The first, obviously, is that she has to be biologically female. The second is that she must have never been bred before now. That's it; anything else goes! She can be from your clan already, from the Auction House, have any breed / color / gene combination, be immediately RTB or not -- the sky is the limit. The one thing I recommend without a doubt is that she'd be a dragon you'd permanently keep, because you're going to have her in your hands for quite some time.

• If you find that you're tiring of your matriarch's look, feel free to scatterscroll her or alter her genes as much as you'd like. The only thing you cannot do is replace her with any other dragoness after the challenge begins.

2. Select the first mate for your matriarch. You may retrieve him over the Auction House, borrow a stud, or pick a permanent resident of your clan -- literally the only requirement for him is that he's biologically male and thus can produce offspring with her.

• Note how this step says "first" mate. This is because your matriarch cannot breed with the same dragon twice across the duration of this challenge.

3. Breed them once they're both RTB and you have sufficient space! Make a note of how many children they've had and keep it. Maintaining count is key. I'd also recommend making a note of who the mate was, so that you never accidentally "double-dip."

4. When the hatchlings are born, you cannot just immediately exalt them or sell them over the Auction House. On the contrary, you must ensure every hatchling gets a long-term home. This could be anything from becoming someone else's permanent dragon to being bred at least once in someone else's lair. Either way, they need to be kept by someone for a while before being exalted or exalt-trained, if ever. If you want, you may keep any hatchlings you get as long-term residents of your own clan.

• If you end up selling someone a hatchling and they change their mind and either resell or exalt it, then you are not held accountable for it; after all, the matter at that point would have been out of your hands. However, it might be wise to not sell that person another hatchling for the duration of the challenge.

5. Repeat the process from finding a new mate to sending the hatchlings off to find long-term homes until all 100+ hatchlings have found a place they belong!
Thanks and acknowledgements
Thanks to Saristar and DragonPrincess27 for inspiring my challenge and for Dreamnorn for coming up with this whole thing. I also referenced your threads when coming up with my own!
Pinglist
DragonPrincess27 WolfprintsSC LJBozlo fenshae Judgeditor KairiDragoness Mystic9187 SpaceSnake Zwitterion SakuraDryad Mutation wyvernaura888 Bxy26 talyra XanythingX Arwain
From the Brink of Extinction

So i've been following 100 Hatchling Challenges for a while and I decided that it was time to throw my hat into the ring. Anyway here are the rules...
Quote:
1. This challenge begins with the selection of your matriarch. To pick one, she must fulfill two requirements. The first, obviously, is that she has to be biologically female. The second is that she must have never been bred before now. That's it; anything else goes! She can be from your clan already, from the Auction House, have any breed / color / gene combination, be immediately RTB or not -- the sky is the limit. The one thing I recommend without a doubt is that she'd be a dragon you'd permanently keep, because you're going to have her in your hands for quite some time.

• If you find that you're tiring of your matriarch's look, feel free to scatterscroll her or alter her genes as much as you'd like. The only thing you cannot do is replace her with any other dragoness after the challenge begins.

2. Select the first mate for your matriarch. You may retrieve him over the Auction House, borrow a stud, or pick a permanent resident of your clan -- literally the only requirement for him is that he's biologically male and thus can produce offspring with her.

• Note how this step says "first" mate. This is because your matriarch cannot breed with the same dragon twice across the duration of this challenge.

3. Breed them once they're both RTB and you have sufficient space! Make a note of how many children they've had and keep it. Maintaining count is key. I'd also recommend making a note of who the mate was, so that you never accidentally "double-dip."

4. When the hatchlings are born, you cannot just immediately exalt them or sell them over the Auction House. On the contrary, you must ensure every hatchling gets a long-term home. This could be anything from becoming someone else's permanent dragon to being bred at least once in someone else's lair. Either way, they need to be kept by someone for a while before being exalted or exalt-trained, if ever. If you want, you may keep any hatchlings you get as long-term residents of your own clan.

• If you end up selling someone a hatchling and they change their mind and either resell or exalt it, then you are not held accountable for it; after all, the matter at that point would have been out of your hands. However, it might be wise to not sell that person another hatchling for the duration of the challenge.

5. Repeat the process from finding a new mate to sending the hatchlings off to find long-term homes until all 100+ hatchlings have found a place they belong!
Thanks and acknowledgements
Thanks to Saristar and DragonPrincess27 for inspiring my challenge and for Dreamnorn for coming up with this whole thing. I also referenced your threads when coming up with my own!
Pinglist
DragonPrincess27 WolfprintsSC LJBozlo fenshae Judgeditor KairiDragoness Mystic9187 SpaceSnake Zwitterion SakuraDryad Mutation wyvernaura888 Bxy26 talyra XanythingX Arwain
[center][size=6][font=Papyrus]Matriarch[/size] [size=4]Amani[/size][/font] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54414175] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/544142/54414175_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] While it's commonly believed that the initial crop of Banescales all hatched at once on December 9th 2019 the truth is that a few Banescales hatched early. Amani was one of those few early hatches. Initially trapped underground with the bones of her elders scattered around her Amani was struck with the reality of the extinction that her kind had so narrowly avoided. In that cavern she swore to do everything in her power to prevent that extinction from ever being a reality again. How would she do that? By having hatchlings of course! Many, Many hatchlings... [center][size=6][font=Papyrus]Record Keeper[/size] [size=4]Ove[/size][/font] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53358943] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/533590/53358943_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Ove was born as the son of the leaders of The Ferry, a fort and harbor that catered to the Seekers that were traveling to the mainland of Sornith. While he found his simple life as a sentry in a peaceful town largely satisfying he sometimes wished for something that could spark some interest or passion. Then the banescales emerged. While his fellow gaolers quailed at the return of their ancestral enemy Ove found himself facinated. What would these dragons be like? Did they really have to be enemies in a Sornith where intermingling with others is the norm? Could he be their friend? Now the two stories of Amani and Ove are about to converge.
Matriarch
Amani

54414175_350.png

While it's commonly believed that the initial crop of Banescales all hatched at once on December 9th 2019 the truth is that a few Banescales hatched early. Amani was one of those few early hatches. Initially trapped underground with the bones of her elders scattered around her Amani was struck with the reality of the extinction that her kind had so narrowly avoided. In that cavern she swore to do everything in her power to prevent that extinction from ever being a reality again. How would she do that? By having hatchlings of course! Many, Many hatchlings...
Record Keeper
Ove

53358943_350.png

Ove was born as the son of the leaders of The Ferry, a fort and harbor that catered to the Seekers that were traveling to the mainland of Sornith. While he found his simple life as a sentry in a peaceful town largely satisfying he sometimes wished for something that could spark some interest or passion.

Then the banescales emerged.

While his fellow gaolers quailed at the return of their ancestral enemy Ove found himself facinated. What would these dragons be like? Did they really have to be enemies in a Sornith where intermingling with others is the norm?

Could he be their friend?

Now the two stories of Amani and Ove are about to converge.
[center][size=6][font=papyrus]Past Mates[/size][/font][/center] [columns][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43282322] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/432824/43282322.png[/img] [/url][nextcol][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57369212] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/573693/57369212.png[/img] [/url]
Past Mates

43282322.png

57369212.png
[center][font=papyrus][size=6]Hatchlings[/font][/size] 3/100[/center] [columns][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57673515] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/576736/57673515.png[/img] [/url]
Hatchlings
3/100

57673515.png
Adoptable Hatchlings
None at the moment...
Adoption rules
1. Adoptions are first come first serve. Please ping me to let me know if you want a specific hatchling.

2. Due to the nature of the story hatchlings will not be available until they have reached adulthood

3. Hatchlings will be up for adoption for at least 40 days. If they are not adopted they will be breed and then exalted.

4. Once you adopt a hatchling it is yours to do with as you desire. However keep in mind that anyone who:
- Purposely renames maliciously (gives a derogatory or offensive name for the purpose of trolling, names like stinky, smelly, or Chezburger are ok if it's for lore or non-malicious purposes).
- repeatedly adopts for the sole purpose of instantaneous exaltation will lose the privilege to adopt more hatchlings in the future. (in other words be courteous please!)

I'd like to finish by saying that if you adopt a hatchling but later change your mind exalting the hatchling is absolutely fine. Lair space is a limited and valuable resource. Also since a 100 hatchling challenge is a multi-year process I fully expect quite a few hatchlings to be exalted in that time. I do hope that you at least keep the hatchling for a few months and breed before the exaltation of the hatchling but if you don't that's fine. Thank You.
Adoptable Hatchlings
None at the moment...
Adoption rules
1. Adoptions are first come first serve. Please ping me to let me know if you want a specific hatchling.

2. Due to the nature of the story hatchlings will not be available until they have reached adulthood

3. Hatchlings will be up for adoption for at least 40 days. If they are not adopted they will be breed and then exalted.

4. Once you adopt a hatchling it is yours to do with as you desire. However keep in mind that anyone who:
- Purposely renames maliciously (gives a derogatory or offensive name for the purpose of trolling, names like stinky, smelly, or Chezburger are ok if it's for lore or non-malicious purposes).
- repeatedly adopts for the sole purpose of instantaneous exaltation will lose the privilege to adopt more hatchlings in the future. (in other words be courteous please!)

I'd like to finish by saying that if you adopt a hatchling but later change your mind exalting the hatchling is absolutely fine. Lair space is a limited and valuable resource. Also since a 100 hatchling challenge is a multi-year process I fully expect quite a few hatchlings to be exalted in that time. I do hope that you at least keep the hatchling for a few months and breed before the exaltation of the hatchling but if you don't that's fine. Thank You.
@DragonPrincess27

From a diary…

12/9
My name is Ove Torstenson, a Sentry Gaoler. A most unusual thing happened today.

There was a distant boom and the ground rumbled, everyone in The Ferry and Ferrytown heard it…

I just hope it doesn’t interfere with our work. It’s very important to get this latest batch of Seekers to the mainland.

12/10
Fascinating news! It turns out that rumble was a new, or should I say, an old breed of dragons returning to Sornith! The banescales are back! They aren’t an old legend after all! My mother and father who are our leaders are very apprehensive about this. Gaolers and Banescales are historically enemies after all. My brother Tsuga keeps chattering about a possible invasion. Most of the villagers in Ferrytown seem mainly curious about what these new dragons will be like. Polis the moneylender had a particularly wicked gleam in his eyes as he talked about how the market could shift to accompany their needs and how he would be open to a Banescale employee… (The greedy old Pearlcatcher will have one of them indebted to him in a week I swear). It’s odd but I don’t really feel any animosity I’m mostly just intrigued, and while I could never tell my family this right now… I kind of hope some decide to live here.

12/12
Tsuga thinks he saw a Banescale on while he was patrolling the Eastern Forest. He described it as “a scrawny blue and brown chicken with gaudy orange wings, even smaller than a tundra.” It doesn’t really sound like the old stories and even Tsuga admits they could have been a Wildclaw hatchling instead… Still, a lost hatchling alone in the Snowsquall Tundra will be dead in no time, even if it’s summer. I offered to patrol the Eastern Forest tomorrow just in case they are a banescale, I don’t want the others to find them first.
@DragonPrincess27

From a diary…

12/9
My name is Ove Torstenson, a Sentry Gaoler. A most unusual thing happened today.

There was a distant boom and the ground rumbled, everyone in The Ferry and Ferrytown heard it…

I just hope it doesn’t interfere with our work. It’s very important to get this latest batch of Seekers to the mainland.

12/10
Fascinating news! It turns out that rumble was a new, or should I say, an old breed of dragons returning to Sornith! The banescales are back! They aren’t an old legend after all! My mother and father who are our leaders are very apprehensive about this. Gaolers and Banescales are historically enemies after all. My brother Tsuga keeps chattering about a possible invasion. Most of the villagers in Ferrytown seem mainly curious about what these new dragons will be like. Polis the moneylender had a particularly wicked gleam in his eyes as he talked about how the market could shift to accompany their needs and how he would be open to a Banescale employee… (The greedy old Pearlcatcher will have one of them indebted to him in a week I swear). It’s odd but I don’t really feel any animosity I’m mostly just intrigued, and while I could never tell my family this right now… I kind of hope some decide to live here.

12/12
Tsuga thinks he saw a Banescale on while he was patrolling the Eastern Forest. He described it as “a scrawny blue and brown chicken with gaudy orange wings, even smaller than a tundra.” It doesn’t really sound like the old stories and even Tsuga admits they could have been a Wildclaw hatchling instead… Still, a lost hatchling alone in the Snowsquall Tundra will be dead in no time, even if it’s summer. I offered to patrol the Eastern Forest tomorrow just in case they are a banescale, I don’t want the others to find them first.
12/13 Well, today was certainly… eventful. I started patrolling the Eastern forest 1st thing after breakfast. I really like the woods that surround our fort and Ferrytown. There are tall Spruce, perky Hemlocks, some Shore Pine trees by the coast. It’s amazing. It’s also the rainy season right now so everything is covered in emerald green lichen. I was born in the middle of winter and I never thought it could get so green here. I think I like this season best of all. Anyway, while I was traveling through the forest I heard something I had never heard before, a sort of short, staccato, whistling noise that vaguely reminded me of some of the sounds I had heard from the villages coatyl, Moistatyl. All at once I saw a small, dragon-like creature soaring through the trees clutching something tightly in their talons. “Hey stop!” I cried, “ What exactly are you doing here alone?” The creature saw me, Widened their eyes, shrieked, pulled up their wings in shock and tumbled to the ground 50 feet below. “Oh [i]crap[/i], hold on!” I yelped as the creature hurtled toward the ground. I leapt up in the air as far as I could reach and caught her halfway to the ground. We landed with a solid thud on the forest floor. After about a second I felt a sharp pain in my paw, “YEOWCH” I screeched and looked down, the small cretin had decided to bite me! “Let GO!” I yelped, “That hurts! Don’t you know I just saved your life you little jerk?” To my surprise, the little creature let go and eyed me in consternation. “Takisha was protecting herself!” The little creature growled. “Takisha was sure that gaoler was here to lock her away forever! What would gaoler do in Takisha’s place.? Would gaoler just sit down and surrender? Takisha thinks not!” As the hatchling rambled on I took the time to get a closer look at her, [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=30&bodygene=54&breed=18&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=76&tertgene=39&winggene=53&wings=133&auth=c6f7fff311d1d1f2f74ab9c0360c3dd4158cad69&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] She was a light aqua blue with dark blue stripes and a yellow sheen, tan markings marbled her body and her wings were bright orange and yellow. She had simple, brown, earth eyes, horns, sharp quills down her spine and most startingly only 4 limbs, two legs and two sets of wings. Suddenly I knew what I was talking to. “Are you a banescale?” I asked suddenly,Takisha was taken aback for a minute, and alarm and dread filled her eyes, then she adopted a defiant stance. “So what if Takisha is?” She said, “Does Gaoler have a problem with Takisha?” “Oh not really,” I stated, “that really depends on if you decide to chomp on me again or attack my friends and family.” I smiled at her, hoping that she would realize that I really did not mean her any harm and that we could settle things on peaceful terms. Takisha stared at me and I wondered if she was perhaps alarmed at my fangs and if smiling was perhaps the wrong move but then she ran up to me. “If you do not wish to harm Takisha could you help Takisha? Look!” She unfurled her talons and I saw what she had been grasping this whole time. It was a dragon egg, clearly lain in the Southern Icefield territory but something was wrong. Instead of holding its usual distinct solid, angular shape and opaque color it seemed cracked, fragile, and distressingly clear. I swear by Icewarden I could see the contour of a dragon wing. “What happened to this egg?” I demanded, “It looks like it’s on the verge of rotting!” “Rotting?” Takisha gasped, “No! Amani’s egg can’t rot! What can we do to help Amani’s egg?” “We’ll take it to Ferrytown” I decided, “There’s a nesting ground there with a caretaker in house. If anyone can help it will be him.” I declined to mention my particular doubts about his reliability, he was new to town and seemed a bit childish to me. “Come on I’ll lead you to him.” I turned around and ran toward Ferrytown while Takisha grabbed the egg flew behind me. Soon we reached Ferrytown with its ramshackle huts and burrows bordering the sea and The Ferry itself with its high walls and harbor providing the perfect background. I raced toward the nursery, it’s walls covered by hardy brambles planted by our caretaker. And yes, there he was, a cheerful-looking red tundra with dark blue wings and warm green eyes. “Carmine! I yelled at him. We need you!” “Yes?” he quizzically asked tilting his head at me then his eyes went wide. “Ove, is that a banescale behind you?” “It is!” I confirmed and she’s got an egg in dire need of your help.” “Bring it here,” he stated, more decisively then I would have believed of him. As he took in the egg’s appearance his expression became grave. “Ove I need you to find Spinel, also are there any Ice mages in The Ferry?” I shook my head, “We’re mostly physical fighters, our few mages are from outside the Southern Isles.” “Get Polis then, he’ll do.” Carmine grabbed the egg and placed it in an unused nest. He closed his eyes and I began to smell the fresh scent of new growth. He seemed to be calling on his magic for something, he saw me staring and brusquely said “Go get Spinel and Polis now.” and I turned to find them. When I found them, I explained the situation and brought them to the nesting grounds. When we entered Carmine was conversing with Takisha in low tones. “She did [i]what[/i]!?” “Amani set her egg on fire.” “Why?” “Amani thought it was frozen, none of our eggs looked anything like Amani’s egg.” “It’s supposed to look like this! It’s an [i]ice[/i] egg!” “There are different eggs?” “Yes. Oh, thank Gladekeeper you’re here.” Carmine exclaimed suddenly. “I have an egg that was hatched outside of a nests elemental nexus and then was set on fire.” He repeated the statement in disbelief. “The mother set an [i]Ice[/i] egg on [i]fire[/i].” He shook his mane in disgust. “At any rate, it’s incredibly element starved and if we want it to hatch we need to bathe it in as much elemental power as possible. “Spinel go and get me all your charms that radiate Ice magic. Polis, I need you to help me bolster this nest, I’m pouring my raw nature into the nest and though the nest is converting it into Ice magic it won’t be enough to save the egg will you help?” “Of course.” The Earth Spiral agreed flying off to collect the necessary charms while Polis stated. “I will do it but you owe me for the time lost to my business and employee.” “What? Oh fine, bill me later. Now SHUT. UP. and boost this nest.” Soon the nest was glowing a soft white color and surrounded by clear quartz gems, diamonds, cubic zirconias, and white topaz. “Come on then,” I told Takisha who was beginning to shiver in the magicked cold air. “You did well. They’ll make sure the egg is safe.” She flew over and buried herself in my mane. “Takisha did well?” “Yes, you did very well,” I confirmed. Takisha made an adorable trilling noise that I’m sure signifies happiness. I then asked, “Do you mind if you show me where this Amani is so we can show her where the egg is?” Takashi made a hissing noise, though I could not see her on top of my head I felt her claws digging into my scalp. “Ok, ow,” I complained. “Takisha is sorry but Amani and the others… they will not welcome Ove. They will see you as the enemy who trapped them and the rest of our kin underground. They refuse to get help from others that is why Takisha took Amani’s egg. Gloam might listen to what Ove has to say but the others will attack you.” “Ok but that just means it’s especially important for her to know where her egg is.” I reasoned, “We don’t want her to attack us because we stole her egg right?” “Takisha sees your point.” agreed the hatchling. “Takisha will go to tell Amani where her egg is.” Takisha unfurled her wings flew a few feet forward and then plopped to the ground. “Ow, she said, Takisha is very tired. Takisha wants a nap.” I looked her over and saw that she was right. She looked exhausted. I sighed, “Well it’s no good sending you off on your own in this state. I’ll set up a room for you at the inn, that’s a place where dragons can sleep when they don’t have homes.” I explained for the naive hatchlings' sake. “We’ll go and find the others tomorrow ok?” “Okiiiiiie” Takisha yawned clambered up on my head and promptly fell asleep. It took some convincing but I got Dahlia to give her a room. I can’t believe I met a banescale already! And that all that happened with the egg! It really is incredible. I hope everything is going to be alright with the parents. I know mine aren't especially happy with me right now but I think they’d have tried to save the egg too. It was the right thing to do. [center][img]https://flightrising.com/images/nests/6/1healthy_0dead.png[/img][/center]
12/13

Well, today was certainly… eventful. I started patrolling the Eastern forest 1st thing after breakfast. I really like the woods that surround our fort and Ferrytown. There are tall Spruce, perky Hemlocks, some Shore Pine trees by the coast. It’s amazing. It’s also the rainy season right now so everything is covered in emerald green lichen. I was born in the middle of winter and I never thought it could get so green here. I think I like this season best of all.

Anyway, while I was traveling through the forest I heard something I had never heard before, a sort of short, staccato, whistling noise that vaguely reminded me of some of the sounds I had heard from the villages coatyl, Moistatyl. All at once I saw a small, dragon-like creature soaring through the trees clutching something tightly in their talons.

“Hey stop!” I cried, “ What exactly are you doing here alone?” The creature saw me, Widened their eyes, shrieked, pulled up their wings in shock and tumbled to the ground 50 feet below. “Oh crap, hold on!” I yelped as the creature hurtled toward the ground. I leapt up in the air as far as I could reach and caught her halfway to the ground. We landed with a solid thud on the forest floor. After about a second I felt a sharp pain in my paw, “YEOWCH” I screeched and looked down, the small cretin had decided to bite me! “Let GO!” I yelped, “That hurts! Don’t you know I just saved your life you little jerk?” To my surprise, the little creature let go and eyed me in consternation. “Takisha was protecting herself!” The little creature growled. “Takisha was sure that gaoler was here to lock her away forever! What would gaoler do in Takisha’s place.? Would gaoler just sit down and surrender? Takisha thinks not!” As the hatchling rambled on I took the time to get a closer look at her,
dragon?age=0&body=30&bodygene=54&breed=18&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=76&tertgene=39&winggene=53&wings=133&auth=c6f7fff311d1d1f2f74ab9c0360c3dd4158cad69&dummyext=prev.png

She was a light aqua blue with dark blue stripes and a yellow sheen, tan markings marbled her body and her wings were bright orange and yellow. She had simple, brown, earth eyes, horns, sharp quills down her spine and most startingly only 4 limbs, two legs and two sets of wings. Suddenly I knew what I was talking to. “Are you a banescale?” I asked suddenly,Takisha was taken aback for a minute, and alarm and dread filled her eyes, then she adopted a defiant stance. “So what if Takisha is?” She said, “Does Gaoler have a problem with Takisha?”

“Oh not really,” I stated, “that really depends on if you decide to chomp on me again or attack my friends and family.” I smiled at her, hoping that she would realize that I really did not mean her any harm and that we could settle things on peaceful terms. Takisha stared at me and I wondered if she was perhaps alarmed at my fangs and if smiling was perhaps the wrong move but then she ran up to me.

“If you do not wish to harm Takisha could you help Takisha? Look!” She unfurled her talons and I saw what she had been grasping this whole time. It was a dragon egg, clearly lain in the Southern Icefield territory but something was wrong. Instead of holding its usual distinct solid, angular shape and opaque color it seemed cracked, fragile, and distressingly clear. I swear by Icewarden I could see the contour of a dragon wing. “What happened to this egg?” I demanded, “It looks like it’s on the verge of rotting!”

“Rotting?” Takisha gasped, “No! Amani’s egg can’t rot! What can we do to help Amani’s egg?”

“We’ll take it to Ferrytown” I decided, “There’s a nesting ground there with a caretaker in house. If anyone can help it will be him.” I declined to mention my particular doubts about his reliability, he was new to town and seemed a bit childish to me.

“Come on I’ll lead you to him.” I turned around and ran toward Ferrytown while Takisha grabbed the egg flew behind me. Soon we reached Ferrytown with its ramshackle huts and burrows bordering the sea and The Ferry itself with its high walls and harbor providing the perfect background.

I raced toward the nursery, it’s walls covered by hardy brambles planted by our caretaker. And yes, there he was, a cheerful-looking red tundra with dark blue wings and warm green eyes. “Carmine! I yelled at him. We need you!”
“Yes?” he quizzically asked tilting his head at me then his eyes went wide.

“Ove, is that a banescale behind you?”

“It is!” I confirmed and she’s got an egg in dire need of your help.”

“Bring it here,” he stated, more decisively then I would have believed of him. As he took in the egg’s appearance his expression became grave. “Ove I need you to find Spinel, also are there any Ice mages in The Ferry?” I shook my head, “We’re mostly physical fighters, our few mages are from outside the Southern Isles.”

“Get Polis then, he’ll do.” Carmine grabbed the egg and placed it in an unused nest. He closed his eyes and I began to smell the fresh scent of new growth. He seemed to be calling on his magic for something, he saw me staring and brusquely said “Go get Spinel and Polis now.” and I turned to find them. When I found them, I explained the situation and brought them to the nesting grounds. When we entered Carmine was conversing with Takisha in low tones.

“She did what!?”

“Amani set her egg on fire.”

“Why?”

“Amani thought it was frozen, none of our eggs looked anything like Amani’s egg.”

“It’s supposed to look like this! It’s an ice egg!”

“There are different eggs?”

“Yes. Oh, thank Gladekeeper you’re here.” Carmine exclaimed suddenly. “I have an egg that was hatched outside of a nests elemental nexus and then was set on fire.” He repeated the statement in disbelief. “The mother set an Ice egg on fire.” He shook his mane in disgust. “At any rate, it’s incredibly element starved and if we want it to hatch we need to bathe it in as much elemental power as possible. “Spinel go and get me all your charms that radiate Ice magic. Polis, I need you to help me bolster this nest, I’m pouring my raw nature into the nest and though the nest is converting it into Ice magic it won’t be enough to save the egg will you help?”

“Of course.” The Earth Spiral agreed flying off to collect the necessary charms while Polis stated. “I will do it but you owe me for the time lost to my business and employee.”

“What? Oh fine, bill me later. Now SHUT. UP. and boost this nest.” Soon the nest was glowing a soft white color and surrounded by clear quartz gems, diamonds, cubic zirconias, and white topaz. “Come on then,” I told Takisha who was beginning to shiver in the magicked cold air. “You did well. They’ll make sure the egg is safe.” She flew over and buried herself in my mane. “Takisha did well?”

“Yes, you did very well,” I confirmed. Takisha made an adorable trilling noise that I’m sure signifies happiness. I then asked, “Do you mind if you show me where this Amani is so we can show her where the egg is?” Takashi made a hissing noise, though I could not see her on top of my head I felt her claws digging into my scalp. “Ok, ow,” I complained.

“Takisha is sorry but Amani and the others… they will not welcome Ove. They will see you as the enemy who trapped them and the rest of our kin underground. They refuse to get help from others that is why Takisha took Amani’s egg. Gloam might listen to what Ove has to say but the others will attack you.”

“Ok but that just means it’s especially important for her to know where her egg is.” I reasoned, “We don’t want her to attack us because we stole her egg right?”

“Takisha sees your point.” agreed the hatchling. “Takisha will go to tell Amani where her egg is.” Takisha unfurled her wings flew a few feet forward and then plopped to the ground. “Ow, she said, Takisha is very tired. Takisha wants a nap.” I looked her over and saw that she was right. She looked exhausted. I sighed, “Well it’s no good sending you off on your own in this state. I’ll set up a room for you at the inn, that’s a place where dragons can sleep when they don’t have homes.” I explained for the naive hatchlings' sake. “We’ll go and find the others tomorrow ok?”

“Okiiiiiie” Takisha yawned clambered up on my head and promptly fell asleep. It took some convincing but I got Dahlia to give her a room. I can’t believe I met a banescale already! And that all that happened with the egg! It really is incredible. I hope everything is going to be alright with the parents. I know mine aren't especially happy with me right now but I think they’d have tried to save the egg too. It was the right thing to do.
1healthy_0dead.png
12/14: Well, [i]that[/i] certainly could have gone better. What a disaster today was. Everything seemed to be going fairly normally. We were picking the meat from the stores for breakfast, Itiku, Kwolek, and Tsuga were all asking me about Takisha and the egg. “Did her bite hurt?” “Was she fierce?” “She set the egg on [i]fire[/i]?! Why?” “Since you saved the egg do you think they’ll leave us alone? “Yes it hurt. She’s not fierce at all. Takisha didn’t set fire to the egg the mother did, I think because they lived under a rock and didn’t know how eggs worked. If all goes well today I’m sure we’ll be fine,” I growled. “Geez, guys, let me eat my elk in peace.” “Sorry but it’s fascinating!” Exclaimed Kwolek, a mottled monochrome female gaoler with electric blue eyes. “Our old enemies come back to life and they don’t know anything!” “Just because they were our ancestor's enemies doesn’t mean they’re ours,” I said absently after chewing and swallowing half of my elk. From what I gathered from Takisha they’re all terrified of us too.” “As they should be!” Tsuga my idiot of an older brother proclaimed puffing out his chest and mane. “Gaolers are the fiercest and the strongest! Everybody knows that!” “Sure, of course. I’m sure they’ll all flee in terror from the goofball with dandelion crumbles and mouse bones in his beard.” Tsuga looked down in alarm as Kwolek and Itiku sniggered. Itiku, a brown Gaoler with an orange, pink and purple mane then added: “I think I’d like to meet this banescale for myself, you mind if I come along when you see her?” “Sure Itu”, I agreed, Itiku wasn’t the most decisive gaoler but he was steady and gentle. Honestly, if anyone could make the Banescales agree to give Gaolers a chance it would be Itu. Or at least I thought so. Suddenly whoever was on sentry duty activated the alarm,. The lights, charmed by our resident light mage Petros began to flash a boiling red color. Our inquisitor Veritas enchanted his voice to ring through the halls. “BANESCALE ATTACK! THERE ARE BANESCALES ATTACKING THE TOWN!” “Oh Centaur dung.” I groaned while my brother roared “TO VICTORY!” and raced out of the room in a flash. We raced out with him and came to the outside. I swallowed hard at the scene of chaos outside. Up high in the sky were two banescales. [center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47716658] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/477167/47716658_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54414175] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/544142/54414175_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] One was bright yellow with brown stripes and a green gradient similar to Itiku’s pattern but throughout her wings as well. A wispy blue smoke emanated from her wings and face. The other was a dark green and blue banescale with hypnotic looking blue striped wings. They were much larger than Takisha, approximately the same size as a mirror. As they flew the yellow one opened her mouth and breathed a stream of fire that engulfed Sprite’s restaurant. The green one landed on the roof of the inn and screamed. “WHERE IS MY EGG?! I WANT MY EGG YOU... YOU... YOU STUPID, FURRY, EVIL, DEMONS!” The green dragon then set the inn on fire “Of all the Shade-touched-” I swore, “TAKISHA I’M COMING!” I raced toward town with the other gaolers. In the sky the banescales found themselves fighting two guardians. Veritas, our inquisitor and Guardaespaldas, Polis’ self-proclaimed bodyguard. Around the inn and restaurant Polis, Spinel, and his brothers Dimas and Dagny attempted to snuff the flames with ice and clouds of dirt. “Where’s a water dragon when you need one?” I moaned, Our resident water dragons Labridae and Corallium, were both currently sailing the seas with the last batch of seekers sent out into Sornith. I gritted my teeth and drew upon the magic of my land. The discomforting sensation of ice built up in my throat and I expelled it desperately trying to quash the flames. I then saw a small brown and blue bolt fly out of the inn. “Oh (huff huff) thank Icewarden.” I rasped between breaths of ice. Takisha saw the guardian and Banescale fight above her, squeaked, and flew up to try to stop the fight. But at that point, the guardians gained the upper hand. Roaring in victory they pinned the Banescales to the ground, Guardaespaldas with her weight and Veritas with pure, arcane gravitational power. Tsuga and my father Torsten quickly Iced their wings, feet, and tail to the ground, trapping them. The green one began to scream until someone (probably Itiku) wrapped her face in vines. Veritas landed and turned to the two banescales. “Now listen you two he growled, I’m going to ask you questions and you’re going to answer honestly. Don’t think you can lie to me! My charge is the truth and I can tell when someone is attacking it. And I will stop them. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!” The yellow one nodded sullenly while the green one continued to struggle. “Oh for Arcanist’s sake, Spaldes can you bring us some peace?” Guardespaldes promptly knocked the green dragon unconscious with a single swipe of her tail. “Good, now the first question for you. What are your names? For both of you mind.” “I am Naima and beside me is Amani, we are early hatches of the last banescale clutch. We know you stole Amani’s egg you monsters! Give it to us and maybe we’ll spare your life!” “Dramatic ain’t we?” drawled Veritas. “Now how exactly are you going to threaten us in your current predicament? He gestured to the ice pinning the two to the ground. “Are there perhaps more of you?” Naima gritted her teeth, “No there is only us!” I could see from Veritas’s increasingly stormy expression that Naima had made an unfortunate error. She had lied to Veritas’s face. His runes and eyes began to glow and Naima started to whimper in pain. “You feel that Banescale? That is what I feel every time someone attacks my charge. You attacked my charge with that filthy little lie. [b]Don’t. Do. It. Again.[/b]” “Fine!” Naima spat “We have another early hatch, Gloam, with two little ones from the main hatch. We had another little one but she disappeared about the same time as the egg. We assumed you had taken her with the egg.” “No Naima!” Takisha suddenly interjected, she flew down to Naima. “Takisha is fine and Amani’s egg is also fine. I took Amani’s egg to them because it was sick. They fixed it Naima!” Naima gaped at Takashi in disbelief. “You... you took it? Takisha we could have figured it out ourselves! Taken it back to the Ashfall Wastes where sympathetic dragons could have helped us.” Carmine interrupted, “I’m afraid that would have certainly killed the egg outright. Eggs need to be surrounded in their flights' magical energy in order to grow up healthy. Amani laid the egg here in the Southern Icefield which makes it an ice egg and an ice egg needs to stay here.” “[b][u]RHEET?![/b][/u]” Everyone turned to the green banescale Amani who had apparently woken up without anyone noticing, the vines holding her mouth shut suddenly receded, (that was probably Carmine, he's soft like that). and she screamed. “My child is an ICE DRAGON?!” Carmine regarded her cooly, “Yes and while I’m sure you had the best of intentions, setting your egg on fire certainly did nothing good for its health.” He softened a bit and added, “You’ll be glad to know that it’s back on track. Almost good as new in fact.” Amani bit her lip she looked both relieved, panicked, and like she was trying to hide both of those feelings from others. Naima growled. “For Flamebringer’s sake, you are SO. DUMB. Amani. I told you you should have waited to have that egg until we were back at the Ashfall Wastes.” “Our species needs to get back on its feet NOW Naima! I told you this! It doesn’t matter if… if they’ll be an ice dragon or not. They are our future.” Amani turned to Veritas and Torsten. “Let me have Takisha and my egg back. I-,…” she twitched in discomfort and continued “I won’t attack you again. Just let me know how to care for my egg and let us go.” She grimaced and almost whispered, “Ugh, please.” “I don’t really know about that.” Everyone turned around to see Polis. He swaggered, top hat and waistcoat barely singed, he rolled his pearl with his claws and grinned. “I’m afraid you two owe me a [i]lot[/i] of money. You see those buildings you burned… they belong to me. Also, you’ve inconvenienced my employees who depend on the business those buildings help bring them. Oh, and I also helped save that little egg of yours.” He chuckled, “You see my dears you owe me A LOT. Of treasure. I estimate about 3,750,000 bits of treasure in fact.” The two banescales stared at him in consternation. “Well, I suppose you could give me 3750 gems instead. I’m nothing if not reasonable.” Naima stuttered, “We… we don’t have treasure.” “Of course you don’t have any treasure!” Polis beamed, “ You two were practically born yesterday after all! That’s why you’ll pay off your debts to me by rebuilding my establishments.” Naima sputtered, “You… you can’t be serious. You can’t keep us here! We can leave if we want!” “Ah… I suppose you could leave but Then I would press charges.” Polis walked closer to the Banescales grabbed Naima's muzzle and forced her to look directly into his cold humorless eyes. “I would set a bounty and make sure every mercenary, every gaoler, every law-abiding dragon around would hunt you down. And when they did find you I’d make sure to lock the both of you in the darkest, deepest corner of the Fortress of Ends I could afford, which is my dear, quite a lot.” He dropped Naima's muzzle and sauntered away. “It’s your choice of course.” Naima bowed her head in defeat. “W-we will stay.” She mumbled Amina nodded in agreement. “Good! I’m glad we could come to an agreement then come on you giddy gaolers let my new employees go won’t you?” “We don’t answer to you, Polis!” Torsten growled as the Pearlcatcher strutted away. “Do let them go you two.” He acceded to Tsuga and me. We helped the ice to soften as the banescales gathered heat and breathed fire to accelerate the process. Soon the Banescales were free and led into Polis’ office to finalize their paperwork. “Let the exalted have mercy on their souls”. I muttered, “I can’t believe he has banescales indebted to him in [i]less[/i] than a week.” “It would almost be admirable if it weren't so terrifying.” Tsuga agreed, “What are you going to do now?” “Well, I’m going to confirm that Takisha’s ok and then I’m going to have me take her to the other banescales. I’m sure that Gloam they mentioned is probably the father of the egg and I think they’d probably appreciate being together if they are going to stay here for a while.” “I guess,” my brother assented, “But I hope they aren't as grumpy or violent as those two. Man look at the mess they caused.” He looked over the ruins of the inn and the restaurant which were heavily charred. “Well if they are we’re just going to have to deal with it.” I sighed. “Remember last time we tried to curb Polis’ “Business Practices?” Tsuga shuddered and nodded. After that I found Takisha and we went to go get Gloam and the other two banescales. Luckily they are actually much more reasonable than Naima or Amina and agreed to come into town with little fuss. I really like Gloam, I don’t really know what he sees in Amina. (And he seemed to agree with me when I told him that?). But he’s very relieved that we saved the egg. At the end of the day, I had a distinct feeling that I was starting a new journey with these banescales. And I can’t wait to see where it will take me.
12/14:

Well, that certainly could have gone better. What a disaster today was.
Everything seemed to be going fairly normally. We were picking the meat from the stores for breakfast, Itiku, Kwolek, and Tsuga were all asking me about Takisha and the egg.

“Did her bite hurt?”

“Was she fierce?”

“She set the egg on fire?! Why?”

“Since you saved the egg do you think they’ll leave us alone?

“Yes it hurt. She’s not fierce at all. Takisha didn’t set fire to the egg the mother did, I think because they lived under a rock and didn’t know how eggs worked. If all goes well today I’m sure we’ll be fine,” I growled. “Geez, guys, let me eat my elk in peace.”

“Sorry but it’s fascinating!” Exclaimed Kwolek, a mottled monochrome female gaoler with electric blue eyes. “Our old enemies come back to life and they don’t know anything!”

“Just because they were our ancestor's enemies doesn’t mean they’re ours,” I said absently after chewing and swallowing half of my elk. From what I gathered from Takisha they’re all terrified of us too.”

“As they should be!” Tsuga my idiot of an older brother proclaimed puffing out his chest and mane. “Gaolers are the fiercest and the strongest! Everybody knows that!”

“Sure, of course. I’m sure they’ll all flee in terror from the goofball with dandelion crumbles and mouse bones in his beard.” Tsuga looked down in alarm as Kwolek and Itiku sniggered. Itiku, a brown Gaoler with an orange, pink and purple mane then added: “I think I’d like to meet this banescale for myself, you mind if I come along when you see her?”

“Sure Itu”, I agreed, Itiku wasn’t the most decisive gaoler but he was steady and gentle. Honestly, if anyone could make the Banescales agree to give Gaolers a chance it would be Itu. Or at least I thought so.

Suddenly whoever was on sentry duty activated the alarm,. The lights, charmed by our resident light mage Petros began to flash a boiling red color. Our inquisitor Veritas enchanted his voice to ring through the halls.

“BANESCALE ATTACK! THERE ARE BANESCALES ATTACKING THE TOWN!”

“Oh Centaur dung.” I groaned while my brother roared “TO VICTORY!” and raced out of the room in a flash. We raced out with him and came to the outside. I swallowed hard at the scene of chaos outside. Up high in the sky were two banescales.

One was bright yellow with brown stripes and a green gradient similar to Itiku’s pattern but throughout her wings as well. A wispy blue smoke emanated from her wings and face. The other was a dark green and blue banescale with hypnotic looking blue striped wings.

They were much larger than Takisha, approximately the same size as a mirror. As they flew the yellow one opened her mouth and breathed a stream of fire that engulfed Sprite’s restaurant. The green one landed on the roof of the inn and screamed. “WHERE IS MY EGG?! I WANT MY EGG YOU... YOU... YOU STUPID, FURRY, EVIL, DEMONS!” The green dragon then set the inn on fire

“Of all the Shade-touched-” I swore, “TAKISHA I’M COMING!” I raced toward town with the other gaolers. In the sky the banescales found themselves fighting two guardians. Veritas, our inquisitor and Guardaespaldas, Polis’ self-proclaimed bodyguard.

Around the inn and restaurant Polis, Spinel, and his brothers Dimas and Dagny attempted to snuff the flames with ice and clouds of dirt. “Where’s a water dragon when you need one?” I moaned, Our resident water dragons Labridae and Corallium, were both currently sailing the seas with the last batch of seekers sent out into Sornith. I gritted my teeth and drew upon the magic of my land. The discomforting sensation of ice built up in my throat and I expelled it desperately trying to quash the flames. I then saw a small brown and blue bolt fly out of the inn. “Oh (huff huff) thank Icewarden.” I rasped between breaths of ice.

Takisha saw the guardian and Banescale fight above her, squeaked, and flew up to try to stop the fight. But at that point, the guardians gained the upper hand. Roaring in victory they pinned the Banescales to the ground, Guardaespaldas with her weight and Veritas with pure, arcane gravitational power. Tsuga and my father Torsten quickly Iced their wings, feet, and tail to the ground, trapping them. The green one began to scream until someone (probably Itiku) wrapped her face in vines. Veritas landed and turned to the two banescales.

“Now listen you two he growled, I’m going to ask you questions and you’re going to answer honestly. Don’t think you can lie to me! My charge is the truth and I can tell when someone is attacking it. And I will stop them. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!” The yellow one nodded sullenly while the green one continued to struggle. “Oh for Arcanist’s sake, Spaldes can you bring us some peace?” Guardespaldes promptly knocked the green dragon unconscious with a single swipe of her tail.

“Good, now the first question for you. What are your names? For both of you mind.”

“I am Naima and beside me is Amani, we are early hatches of the last banescale clutch. We know you stole Amani’s egg you monsters! Give it to us and maybe we’ll spare your life!”

“Dramatic ain’t we?” drawled Veritas. “Now how exactly are you going to threaten us in your current predicament? He gestured to the ice pinning the two to the ground. “Are there perhaps more of you?” Naima gritted her teeth, “No there is only us!” I could see from Veritas’s increasingly stormy expression that Naima had made an unfortunate error. She had lied to Veritas’s face. His runes and eyes began to glow and Naima started to whimper in pain.

“You feel that Banescale? That is what I feel every time someone attacks my charge. You attacked my charge with that filthy little lie. Don’t. Do. It. Again.

“Fine!” Naima spat “We have another early hatch, Gloam, with two little ones from the main hatch. We had another little one but she disappeared about the same time as the egg. We assumed you had taken her with the egg.”

“No Naima!” Takisha suddenly interjected, she flew down to Naima. “Takisha is fine and Amani’s egg is also fine. I took Amani’s egg to them because it was sick. They fixed it Naima!” Naima gaped at Takashi in disbelief. “You... you took it? Takisha we could have figured it out ourselves! Taken it back to the Ashfall Wastes where sympathetic dragons could have helped us.” Carmine interrupted, “I’m afraid that would have certainly killed the egg outright. Eggs need to be surrounded in their flights' magical energy in order to grow up healthy. Amani laid the egg here in the Southern Icefield which makes it an ice egg and an ice egg needs to stay here.”

RHEET?!” Everyone turned to the green banescale Amani who had apparently woken up without anyone noticing, the vines holding her mouth shut suddenly receded, (that was probably Carmine, he's soft like that). and she screamed. “My child is an ICE DRAGON?!”

Carmine regarded her cooly, “Yes and while I’m sure you had the best of intentions, setting your egg on fire certainly did nothing good for its health.” He softened a bit and added, “You’ll be glad to know that it’s back on track. Almost good as new in fact.” Amani bit her lip she looked both relieved, panicked, and like she was trying to hide both of those feelings from others. Naima growled. “For Flamebringer’s sake, you are SO. DUMB. Amani. I told you you should have waited to have that egg until we were back at the Ashfall Wastes.”

“Our species needs to get back on its feet NOW Naima! I told you this! It doesn’t matter if… if they’ll be an ice dragon or not. They are our future.” Amani turned to Veritas and Torsten. “Let me have Takisha and my egg back. I-,…” she twitched in discomfort and continued “I won’t attack you again. Just let me know how to care for my egg and let us go.” She grimaced and almost whispered, “Ugh, please.”

“I don’t really know about that.” Everyone turned around to see Polis. He swaggered, top hat and waistcoat barely singed, he rolled his pearl with his claws and grinned. “I’m afraid you two owe me a lot of money. You see those buildings you burned… they belong to me. Also, you’ve inconvenienced my employees who depend on the business those buildings help bring them. Oh, and I also helped save that little egg of yours.” He chuckled, “You see my dears you owe me A LOT. Of treasure. I estimate about 3,750,000 bits of treasure in fact.” The two banescales stared at him in consternation. “Well, I suppose you could give me 3750 gems instead. I’m nothing if not reasonable.”

Naima stuttered, “We… we don’t have treasure.”

“Of course you don’t have any treasure!” Polis beamed, “ You two were practically born yesterday after all! That’s why you’ll pay off your debts to me by rebuilding my establishments.” Naima sputtered, “You… you can’t be serious. You can’t keep us here! We can leave if we want!”

“Ah… I suppose you could leave but Then I would press charges.” Polis walked closer to the Banescales grabbed Naima's muzzle and forced her to look directly into his cold humorless eyes. “I would set a bounty and make sure every mercenary, every gaoler, every law-abiding dragon around would hunt you down. And when they did find you I’d make sure to lock the both of you in the darkest, deepest corner of the Fortress of Ends I could afford, which is my dear, quite a lot.” He dropped Naima's muzzle and sauntered away. “It’s your choice of course.” Naima bowed her head in defeat. “W-we will stay.” She mumbled Amina nodded in agreement. “Good! I’m glad we could come to an agreement then come on you giddy gaolers let my new employees go won’t you?”

“We don’t answer to you, Polis!” Torsten growled as the Pearlcatcher strutted away. “Do let them go you two.” He acceded to Tsuga and me. We helped the ice to soften as the banescales gathered heat and breathed fire to accelerate the process. Soon the Banescales were free and led into Polis’ office to finalize their paperwork. “Let the exalted have mercy on their souls”. I muttered, “I can’t believe he has banescales indebted to him in less than a week.”

“It would almost be admirable if it weren't so terrifying.” Tsuga agreed, “What are you going to do now?”

“Well, I’m going to confirm that Takisha’s ok and then I’m going to have me take her to the other banescales. I’m sure that Gloam they mentioned is probably the father of the egg and I think they’d probably appreciate being together if they are going to stay here for a while.”

“I guess,” my brother assented, “But I hope they aren't as grumpy or violent as those two. Man look at the mess they caused.” He looked over the ruins of the inn and the restaurant which were heavily charred.

“Well if they are we’re just going to have to deal with it.” I sighed. “Remember last time we tried to curb Polis’ “Business Practices?” Tsuga shuddered and nodded.

After that I found Takisha and we went to go get Gloam and the other two banescales. Luckily they are actually much more reasonable than Naima or Amina and agreed to come into town with little fuss. I really like Gloam, I don’t really know what he sees in Amina. (And he seemed to agree with me when I told him that?). But he’s very relieved that we saved the egg. At the end of the day, I had a distinct feeling that I was starting a new journey with these banescales.

And I can’t wait to see where it will take me.
And we are live. Commence posting if you wish. (or don't it's whatever).
And we are live. Commence posting if you wish. (or don't it's whatever).
@/DragonPrincess27 12/17 It's been a week since the banescales moved into town. Takisha, Inbar, and Bassam have all grown into maturity. Takisha has been hanging around Itiku, Spinel, and Carmine. She's constantly asking questions about taking care of certain injuries or the specifics of egg health care... she's told me that the incident with Amani's egg has inspired her. She wants to learn how to heal dragons and eggs. (She's also using pronouns properly now which makes me both very happy and very sad at the same time). Inbar has grown into a very graceful blue and orange Banescale. She's often singing with Brook in the town square and many of us come to listen to them sing. Bassam, on the other hand, is a very squirrelly young buck, he gets into everything, talks constantly to everyone, and gets in trouble All. The. Time. Just yesterday we caught him in Sunshine’s closet. The poor girl had thought that the thing was haunted but nope! It was just Bassam pulling a prank on poor Carmine's mate. He got in a lot of trouble with that. Naima has been kept very busy by Polis with errands and rebuilding the damage she and Amani caused. When she’s not doing that she's been tormenting us at her roost on the top of the Ferry. She insists that "Someone needs to make sure you don't murder us all in our sleep!" She's full of stuff like that, sometimes she'll scream at us as we train or leave for patrol. I know my family all find it extremely frustrating but Ragwort and Corallium, (Who are back from transporting the Seekers), seem to find it funny. They'll sometimes huddle underneath her perch and tease her into a screaming fit. It goes something like this: Corallium: Oi! Pigeon lady! Have you managed to steal some crumbs back from ol’ Polis' table or did he send you back hungry again? Ragwort: Of course she didn't, that's why she's begging for scraps from honest gaolers. Naima: I AM NOT A PIGEON NOR DO I BEG FOR SCRAPS! I AM A MIGHTY BANESCALE AND YOU ARE [i]JUST[/i] [b][i]TREACHEROUS[/i][/b] [u][b][i]GAOLERS![/i][/b][/u] Ragwort: She might be right. You know we've done so many things wrong. Corallium: That's right! We've set buildings on fire... Ragwort: Endangered eggs and hatchlings... Coralium: Gotten indebted to the most ruthless loan shark this side of the Southern Icefields... Ragwort: Oh wait a minute. We haven't done any of that. Coralium: Oh? Ragwort: No I think we're confused... Oh right! We "Treacherous gaolers” didn't do ANY of that! It was the mighty banescales who did that! Coralium: Oh right! of course! I forgot. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY AND INCREDIBLY INTELLIGENT BANESCALES! Ragwort: HAIL! Naima: [b]SCREEEEEEEEEE[/b] YOU ****** gaoler I'll **** *** ****! Ragwort: *gasp* so rude. It's all a bit disruptive really, I wish they'd stop. At least Huddsyn has managed to have a decent conversation with her. Gloam is usually in two places. He's either with the egg when Anami's working, or trying to help with Sprite's restaurant when Anami chases him out of the hatchery. The staff refused to let him in at first but he's ingratiated himself and now helps with the cleaning. Or at least he tries to. It's a bit hard to do kitchen work without forelimbs. Sometimes he goes out hunting and brings the restaurant meat, insects, fish, and even plants. He's told me that he admires Sprite’s work and wants to become a chef himself if he can learn to do it with his feet and jaw... Good luck Gloam. Speaking of which, Amani... She is an odd one. After working for Polis she goes straight to her nest and curls around her egg as though it's the most precious thing in the world. She won't let anyone but Gloam and Takisha anywhere near it. She won't even let Carmine near it. Sometimes we've even seen her chase off Gloam with screams and hissing it's quite a horrible spectacle. Poor Gloam... I think it's about time for the egg to hatch. If I've got time after patrol I'll try to swing down to the hatchery. Perhaps it'll have hatched. Later... The egg has hatched. I went into the hatchery while Gloam was not on nest duty. He let me see her. Her name is Farah. She’s a green dragon like her mother but has the look of her father right down to the bright blue fins. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57673515] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/576736/57673515_350.png[/img] [/url] She looked so fragile and precious. "Hard to believe her mother is the terror of the village," I commented. Gloam sighed tiredly. "Yes, I suppose you could say that." "Why are you with her?" I questioned, my curiosity rising, "It doesn't seem like you two like each other that much." Gloam sighed and looked off into some unknown distance as Farah snuggled closer to him. "Ove... Amani has had a hard beginning. All of us who hatched early did really. It was very cramped, extremely hot, and we were all simultaneously terrified of both the outside world and of being trapped forever. Tensions would rise to a fever pitch and... well... let's just say some less than nice things happened. It was difficult for Naima and I but it was hellish for Amani. She has a hard time reading others sometimes and she gets offended and defensive very easily. She was... a target for some of... well some of the bad ones." Gloam's voice, already in a pained monotone rumbled into an angry hiss. "Oh yes, they loved to torment her to no end. She found solace in the unhatched eggs. She worked to care for them and pretended that they would become friends who would understand her. She also would constantly sing the songs of our elders. Or at least the ones she could remember. She's come to believe that it's her sacred duty to ensure that banescales thrive by having as many hatchlings as she possibly can. Or so she's told me." He sighed again and looked at his hatchling. "When Naima, Inbar, Bassam, and I met up with Takisha and Amani in the Boreal Woods Amani decided that it was time for her to start her duty and have a nest. I wasn't sure about that at first but she looked so forlorn when she saw my hesitation... Well, I felt pity for her, I've always felt pity for her. I don't necessarily regret having this munchkin." He smiled at X who was now napping under his wing. "However I do think that my agreeing to nest with her was a mistake. Amani and I don't get along well as a "Couple" at all. Hopefully, she can find someone who shares her dreams and understands her but when this little one grows up I'm out. I'll never pair with another dragon out of pity ever again." I sat in stunned silence as the story concluded. I knew that Naima, Gloam, and Amani were much older than most Banescales in Sornith but somehow I had never considered the implications of that. "Well... I guess... I'm glad you got out." I eventually whispered. Gloam chuckled sadly. "Yes, I'm glad I got out too. I guess I just wish Amani was completely out too." After that, we parted. There was nothing else to say.
@/DragonPrincess27

12/17

It's been a week since the banescales moved into town. Takisha, Inbar, and Bassam have all grown into maturity.

Takisha has been hanging around Itiku, Spinel, and Carmine. She's constantly asking questions about taking care of certain injuries or the specifics of egg health care... she's told me that the incident with Amani's egg has inspired her. She wants to learn how to heal dragons and eggs. (She's also using pronouns properly now which makes me both very happy and very sad at the same time).

Inbar has grown into a very graceful blue and orange Banescale. She's often singing with Brook in the town square and many of us come to listen to them sing.

Bassam, on the other hand, is a very squirrelly young buck, he gets into everything, talks constantly to everyone, and gets in trouble All. The. Time. Just yesterday we caught him in Sunshine’s closet. The poor girl had thought that the thing was haunted but nope! It was just Bassam pulling a prank on poor Carmine's mate. He got in a lot of trouble with that.

Naima has been kept very busy by Polis with errands and rebuilding the damage she and Amani caused. When she’s not doing that she's been tormenting us at her roost on the top of the Ferry. She insists that "Someone needs to make sure you don't murder us all in our sleep!" She's full of stuff like that, sometimes she'll scream at us as we train or leave for patrol. I know my family all find it extremely frustrating but Ragwort and Corallium, (Who are back from transporting the Seekers), seem to find it funny. They'll sometimes huddle underneath her perch and tease her into a screaming fit. It goes something like this:

Corallium: Oi! Pigeon lady! Have you managed to steal some crumbs back from ol’ Polis' table or did he send you back hungry again?

Ragwort: Of course she didn't, that's why she's begging for scraps from honest gaolers.

Naima: I AM NOT A PIGEON NOR DO I BEG FOR SCRAPS! I AM A MIGHTY BANESCALE AND YOU ARE JUST TREACHEROUS GAOLERS!

Ragwort: She might be right. You know we've done so many things wrong.

Corallium: That's right! We've set buildings on fire...

Ragwort: Endangered eggs and hatchlings...

Coralium: Gotten indebted to the most ruthless loan shark this side of the Southern Icefields...

Ragwort: Oh wait a minute. We haven't done any of that.

Coralium: Oh?

Ragwort: No I think we're confused... Oh right! We "Treacherous gaolers” didn't do ANY of that! It was the mighty banescales who did that!

Coralium: Oh right! of course! I forgot. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY AND INCREDIBLY INTELLIGENT BANESCALES!

Ragwort: HAIL!

Naima: SCREEEEEEEEEE YOU ****** gaoler I'll **** *** ****!

Ragwort: *gasp* so rude.

It's all a bit disruptive really, I wish they'd stop. At least Huddsyn has managed to have a decent conversation with her.

Gloam is usually in two places. He's either with the egg when Anami's working, or trying to help with Sprite's restaurant when Anami chases him out of the hatchery. The staff refused to let him in at first but he's ingratiated himself and now helps with the cleaning. Or at least he tries to. It's a bit hard to do kitchen work without forelimbs. Sometimes he goes out hunting and brings the restaurant meat, insects, fish, and even plants. He's told me that he admires Sprite’s work and wants to become a chef himself if he can learn to do it with his feet and jaw... Good luck Gloam.

Speaking of which, Amani... She is an odd one. After working for Polis she goes straight to her nest and curls around her egg as though it's the most precious thing in the world. She won't let anyone but Gloam and Takisha anywhere near it. She won't even let Carmine near it. Sometimes we've even seen her chase off Gloam with screams and hissing it's quite a horrible spectacle. Poor Gloam... I think it's about time for the egg to hatch. If I've got time after patrol I'll try to swing down to the hatchery. Perhaps it'll have hatched.

Later...

The egg has hatched. I went into the hatchery while Gloam was not on nest duty. He let me see her. Her name is Farah. She’s a green dragon like her mother but has the look of her father right down to the bright blue fins.

57673515_350.png

She looked so fragile and precious. "Hard to believe her mother is the terror of the village," I commented. Gloam sighed tiredly. "Yes, I suppose you could say that."

"Why are you with her?" I questioned, my curiosity rising, "It doesn't seem like you two like each other that much." Gloam sighed and looked off into some unknown distance as Farah snuggled closer to him. "Ove... Amani has had a hard beginning. All of us who hatched early did really. It was very cramped, extremely hot, and we were all simultaneously terrified of both the outside world and of being trapped forever. Tensions would rise to a fever pitch and... well... let's just say some less than nice things happened. It was difficult for Naima and I but it was hellish for Amani. She has a hard time reading others sometimes and she gets offended and defensive very easily. She was... a target for some of... well some of the bad ones." Gloam's voice, already in a pained monotone rumbled into an angry hiss.

"Oh yes, they loved to torment her to no end. She found solace in the unhatched eggs. She worked to care for them and pretended that they would become friends who would understand her. She also would constantly sing the songs of our elders. Or at least the ones she could remember. She's come to believe that it's her sacred duty to ensure that banescales thrive by having as many hatchlings as she possibly can. Or so she's told me."

He sighed again and looked at his hatchling. "When Naima, Inbar, Bassam, and I met up with Takisha and Amani in the Boreal Woods Amani decided that it was time for her to start her duty and have a nest. I wasn't sure about that at first but she looked so forlorn when she saw my hesitation... Well, I felt pity for her, I've always felt pity for her. I don't necessarily regret having this munchkin." He smiled at X who was now napping under his wing. "However I do think that my agreeing to nest with her was a mistake. Amani and I don't get along well as a "Couple" at all. Hopefully, she can find someone who shares her dreams and understands her but when this little one grows up I'm out. I'll never pair with another dragon out of pity ever again."

I sat in stunned silence as the story concluded. I knew that Naima, Gloam, and Amani were much older than most Banescales in Sornith but somehow I had never considered the implications of that. "Well... I guess... I'm glad you got out." I eventually whispered. Gloam chuckled sadly. "Yes, I'm glad I got out too. I guess I just wish Amani was completely out too."

After that, we parted. There was nothing else to say.
1 2 3 4 5