Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | LIKING dragons???
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I'm just going around liking all the pretty dragons. Makes me feel happy.
I'm just going around liking all the pretty dragons. Makes me feel happy.
MBjujvx.png
One one side I can show my love for every single dragon on this site!

On the other side.... social anxiety.
One one side I can show my love for every single dragon on this site!

On the other side.... social anxiety.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
Oh no...
i just thought of the hordes of like farming threads..
Liking dragons is an overall a nice idea,,, but i just dont feel like its the best..
Oh no...
Liking dragons is an overall a nice idea,,, but i just dont feel like its the best..
Wassup my bros
I know I'm a cantankerous old lady who hates change but I am very much not a fan of the dragon like button. Not even from the popularity-contest angle, I just loathe social media type "engagement," period. It's a symptom of web-design philosophy that treats user attention as a commodity, and renders the substance of a site down to a tofu-like mass of "content" that only exists to keep people's eyes surrounded by advertising. I know that's not the intention here, but I still find the idea viscerally repulsive.

That's my take on this whole update, really. Nothing is wrong, exactly, but it reminds me far too much of websites I like much less. The addition of scenes - even the ability to name familiars, for some reason that inoffensive little thing really grinds my gears - makes me think of Neopets or Gaia in their later stages. "You like shiny new things? Have all the shiny new things! Half-baked features are Content and Content means Engagement means Money! Pay no attention to how everything behind the scenes is on fire."

Again, my brain knows this is not the trajectory here. The association remains. This is why I am a cantankerous old lady who hates change.
I know I'm a cantankerous old lady who hates change but I am very much not a fan of the dragon like button. Not even from the popularity-contest angle, I just loathe social media type "engagement," period. It's a symptom of web-design philosophy that treats user attention as a commodity, and renders the substance of a site down to a tofu-like mass of "content" that only exists to keep people's eyes surrounded by advertising. I know that's not the intention here, but I still find the idea viscerally repulsive.

That's my take on this whole update, really. Nothing is wrong, exactly, but it reminds me far too much of websites I like much less. The addition of scenes - even the ability to name familiars, for some reason that inoffensive little thing really grinds my gears - makes me think of Neopets or Gaia in their later stages. "You like shiny new things? Have all the shiny new things! Half-baked features are Content and Content means Engagement means Money! Pay no attention to how everything behind the scenes is on fire."

Again, my brain knows this is not the trajectory here. The association remains. This is why I am a cantankerous old lady who hates change.
[quote name="DragonFeral" date="2020-06-08 07:43:47" ] Oh no... i just thought of the hordes of like farming threads.. Liking dragons is an overall a nice idea,,, but i just dont feel like its the best.. [/quote] Yeah, it's okay but not too great. Most of the stuff I've said so far is just meme-y stuff. Staff will probably try to stop like begging threads though We're probably going to get a lot of meme-y things about likes
DragonFeral wrote on 2020-06-08 07:43:47:
Oh no...
Yeah, it's okay but not too great. Most of the stuff I've said so far is just meme-y stuff. Staff will probably try to stop like begging threads though

We're probably going to get a lot of meme-y things about likes
SnailDivider.png
YCOzZhb.gif

Lemon Flight
nudibranch.png
Beating UM with just a Tynamo
ridgeback s o u p
nudibranch.png
fr time + 3
SnailDivider2.png
You could like dragons before via what I think was a FB plugin, so its not a completely new feature- it just fits into FRs aesthetic more and is way more noticable. there used to be threads in the dragon share forums about it! edit: a screenshot I found with the like button- not my derg, just from google image search [img]https://i.imgur.com/SbAc0yd.png[/img]
You could like dragons before via what I think was a FB plugin, so its not a completely new feature- it just fits into FRs aesthetic more and is way more noticable.

there used to be threads in the dragon share forums about it!

edit: a screenshot I found with the like button- not my derg, just from google image search

SbAc0yd.png
29370123p.png172210p.pnghd_onoff.giftumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo2_75sq.pngtumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo1_75sq.png
this is maybe my fave part of the update

i will like everyone's dragons. i will seek out unassuming people on the forums and i will spread love all over their lairs

i have already started

i cannot be stopped

>:3€€€

edit: i know that a lot of people are not super happy with the concept, but i for one will look at it as a way to leave a teeny tiny mark on someone's lair if i think they're nice or their dragon is pretty. :D i like stuff like this, where it doesn't require me to bother people and waste their time just to tell them that i think their pixel dragon is pretty. :3
this is maybe my fave part of the update

i will like everyone's dragons. i will seek out unassuming people on the forums and i will spread love all over their lairs

i have already started

i cannot be stopped

>:3€€€

edit: i know that a lot of people are not super happy with the concept, but i for one will look at it as a way to leave a teeny tiny mark on someone's lair if i think they're nice or their dragon is pretty. :D i like stuff like this, where it doesn't require me to bother people and waste their time just to tell them that i think their pixel dragon is pretty. :3
ACOZFAh.png
g3bTNzM.png
hh5n4WA.png
[quote name="voidbeast" date="2020-06-08 07:43:34" ] i can imagine the harassment from users looking to buy dragons increasing because of something this inconsequential. i hope im just being negative for negativities sake but people already care too much for things like id numbers and hatch dates [/quote] I top see potentail for likes being a bad thing. No doubt we will see posts like "Please like my dragonz" "Nobody likes my dragonz what is wrong" "My dragon got 10000 likes i have just won fr" Shudder
voidbeast wrote on 2020-06-08 07:43:34:
i can imagine the harassment from users looking to buy dragons increasing because of something this inconsequential. i hope im just being negative for negativities sake but people already care too much for things like id numbers and hatch dates
I top see potentail for likes being a bad thing. No doubt we will see posts like
"Please like my dragonz"
"Nobody likes my dragonz what is wrong"
"My dragon got 10000 likes i have just won fr"

Shudder

NO LONGER ACTIVE.

I LEFT FR AND GIVEN AWAY MY STUFF.
[quote name="Calyypso" date="2020-06-08 07:10:21" ] ill like yalls dragons too but i feel like it'll cause unnecessary stress? maybe im over thinking [/quote] You're not overthinking, it's definitely an unnecessary and stress inducing feature that promotes popularity contests. But it's a feature now so it's here to stay I guess [quote name="tytytytytytyty1" date="2020-06-08 07:26:56" ] I just tested it with a friend, moving dragons between accounts does not wipe like counter I feel like this wont end well [/quote] Oh that's even worse
Calyypso wrote on 2020-06-08 07:10:21:
ill like yalls dragons too but i feel like it'll cause unnecessary stress? maybe im over thinking
You're not overthinking, it's definitely an unnecessary and stress inducing feature that promotes popularity contests.
But it's a feature now so it's here to stay I guess
tytytytytytyty1 wrote on 2020-06-08 07:26:56:
I just tested it with a friend, moving dragons between accounts does not wipe like counter

I feel like this wont end well
Oh that's even worse
BLACK LIVES MATTER

thisaddefinitelydoesntminebitcoin.gif
Time for me to go like people’s dragons >:0
Time for me to go like people’s dragons >:0
light.gif
Knick -- busy student -- FR+3
Just a gal tryin to gene up her kids and collect familiars, whenever schoolwork permits. I like cats, folk music, and rain. Always up for a chat!
ZwVaRtj.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7