Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | banescale headcanons?
1 2 3 4 5
@androidmelody That reminds me of some of the lore I actually wrote down for my clan where one of the dragons convinced a bunch of crayfish to follow him home on the pretense that they would worship him as a god (he's not, he's just a dragon) in exchange for eternal safety..... nobody in the clan eats seafood.
@androidmelody That reminds me of some of the lore I actually wrote down for my clan where one of the dragons convinced a bunch of crayfish to follow him home on the pretense that they would worship him as a god (he's not, he's just a dragon) in exchange for eternal safety..... nobody in the clan eats seafood.
qDavPTk.png
My headcanon? They're like chickens.

also that they bob up and down when they're happy c:

bwock bwock

bwock bwock
f0PgqbB.png Call me Alex, or Kieran!
pronouns: he/him, they/them
FR +0
old-oaks-2.png Lair sales
Old Oaks sales (lair)
Old Oaks sales (HibDen)
7kXqKFJ.png
[quote name="Untrust" date="2019-12-09 19:15:10" ] That they are distantly related to Mirror dragons. (i don't know, somehow they just remind me of them?) Maybe it's because Mirror Dragons were my favourite dragon before, and ever since the Banescales came out, I've been in love with them since. [/quote] I [i]knew[/i] they seemed familiar somehow! BANESCALES ARE MURDERCHICKENS! Murderchickens and Murderpups rise up!
Untrust wrote on 2019-12-09 19:15:10:
That they are distantly related to Mirror dragons.
(i don't know, somehow they just remind me of them?)
Maybe it's because Mirror Dragons were my favourite dragon before, and ever since the Banescales came out, I've been in love with them since.
I knew they seemed familiar somehow! BANESCALES ARE MURDERCHICKENS! Murderchickens and Murderpups rise up!
All of the g1 Banescales just know the song in their short story.
All of the g1 Banescales just know the song in their short story.
15295.png
+ Pacific Time | Neutral Evil | Artist Kinda +
rtbhGZ5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium.png
39072.png q7KYqlT.png
Falmeymomma, being the crabapple she is, kidnapped a gaoler, flipped it upside down, and told it "become the exact opposite of what you are, Icey!" She then paused, thought a little, ans added. "Oh. Make sure to ditch your wretched little code of laws as well!" (At least that's how it would be if it was in a rudyard Kipling story.
Falmeymomma, being the crabapple she is, kidnapped a gaoler, flipped it upside down, and told it "become the exact opposite of what you are, Icey!" She then paused, thought a little, ans added. "Oh. Make sure to ditch your wretched little code of laws as well!" (At least that's how it would be if it was in a rudyard Kipling story.
I have a subspecies. click here to view it.This is a tutorial that you might find useful. interaction thread, please post.show me your /drs posts here! this is a wiki that desperately needs people.bYt72YT.pngv2PJF9u.png
[quote name="likely6" date="2019-12-09 20:51:59" ] My headcanon? They're like chickens. also that they bob up and down when they're happy c: bwock bwock [/quote] Well, my chickens are 100% murderbirds and would happily be Baneclaws if they had the opportunity, so I am officially adopting all Baneclaws-are-chickens headcanon. Evidence: When chickens/baneclaws go broody (decide to hatch eggs) they will try to murder anything that comes near the nest. Also, when sitting the eggs: fire, flood, and predators 100x their size won't shift them. They will step up and own that fight. (Without getting off the eggs, of course.) Chickens/baneclaws love singing. Love it. Cannot help themselves. Chickens/baneclaws love insects, meat, and seafood. Edit: to be fair my chickens are basically tiny, angry, feathery dinosaurs.
likely6 wrote on 2019-12-09 20:51:59:

bwock bwock

Well, my chickens are 100% murderbirds and would happily be Baneclaws if they had the opportunity, so I am officially adopting all Baneclaws-are-chickens headcanon.

Evidence:
When chickens/baneclaws go broody (decide to hatch eggs) they will try to murder anything that comes near the nest.
Also, when sitting the eggs: fire, flood, and predators 100x their size won't shift them. They will step up and own that fight. (Without getting off the eggs, of course.)
Chickens/baneclaws love singing. Love it. Cannot help themselves.
Chickens/baneclaws love insects, meat, and seafood.

Edit: to be fair my chickens are basically tiny, angry, feathery dinosaurs.

Available at cost to Plague flight members.
[quote name="Angelsand" date="2019-12-09 20:44:23" ] Wait they [i]rhyme[/i] their words? Oh,,,, I love that so much... [/quote] It does make writing dialogue for them tricky Since with your word choices you'll have to be picky.
Angelsand wrote on 2019-12-09 20:44:23:
Wait they rhyme their words?
Oh,,,, I love that so much...
It does make writing dialogue for them tricky
Since with your word choices you'll have to be picky.
frsiggy1.pngfrsiggy2.pngfrsiggy3.png
They will have midair acrobatic sequences to attract mates.

The new generation tends to adopt any abandoned eggs they find.

Somewhat like Nocturnes, they like to try to mimic the culture of their clan.

A pleased Banescale will hum.

Banescales often sing together. If one starts, you'll soon hear more join in.

Their memory of sound and music is very powerful; they're able to replicate almost anything they've heard at least once before.
They will have midair acrobatic sequences to attract mates.

The new generation tends to adopt any abandoned eggs they find.

Somewhat like Nocturnes, they like to try to mimic the culture of their clan.

A pleased Banescale will hum.

Banescales often sing together. If one starts, you'll soon hear more join in.

Their memory of sound and music is very powerful; they're able to replicate almost anything they've heard at least once before.
Fishes ____ she/her | +3 FR time | wishlist | avatar
ra01-icon-goldfish.gif s02-icon-whale.gif
Basing this off some of the birds we have around my home, others are just fun ideas I have.

1. They use music and aerial displays to find mates, they are also skilled in mimicking which can be delightful to some. Some Banescales mate for life when they find a partner they are successful/connect strongly with, others seek new mates every breeding, and some have a harem if the male/female numbers are disproportionate. These harems are typically one dominate female in colder climates or one dominate male in hotter climates with multiple males/females they mate with.

2. They take turns caring for the eggs/hatchlings and build a cache of food so they don't have to hunt as much. Sometimes, the male (especially first time males) are so excited, they will try to feed the eggs. Mates preen each other and rub horns as a show of affection for the other. Both parents encourage and teach their young how to survive two weeks after they've hatched to prepare them for the fledgling stage.

3. For those that mate for life, when their mate dies, they become depressed and begin to shutdown and stop signing. They also grieve for their lost mate (they will even grieve their lost eggs/hatchlings) and refuse to leave their side for days. There is no breaking them from this depression and they usually pass on not too long after.

4. Families can be very close and will reunite to meet their grown offspring to keep bonds strong, they will also watch over each others young if they form a communal nesting. Some have flown from one end of the land to the other just to see their grown offspring or aging parents.

5. If a Banescale pair of the same sex wish for offspring, they are quick to take in any eggs/hatchlings that are abandoned or up for adoption. Family groups have even been known to split up large clutches for first time parents to make the process of parenting easier and fulfill the pair's wish. Some even travel far from their nest site searching for lost offspring to adopt. Since they entered the world once more, this action has spread to the adopting of other dragon species and, rarely, even a lost child of one of the Beastclans.

6. They are very playful and incredibly energetic when young, a high prey drive makes games of chase interesting. They are prone to "zoomies" all their lives. Elderly Banescales have been seen putting on brilliant displays either with their breath weapons or magic.

7. Despite the presence of feathers, they have no fear of burning. Those with feathers produce a special oil that is a highly effective flame retardant they evolved from their original home. This oil can be harvested from special glands which makes them a target to hostile Beastclans looking to assault the fiery realm of the Flamecaller.

8. Banescale have excellent memory and can recall faces and voices of those that have been kind or cruel to them. They pass this knowledge on to other dragons (and friendly Beastclans) and will harass those that did them wrong. Those that were kind to them, they like to bring little trinkets and baubles. They are surprisingly skilled with tools and have learned have to manipulate objects despite lacking forearms.

9. A Banescale with exposed bone plates or porcupine spines tends to be held in a sort of "alpha" position. They're stronger, larger, and better defended at the cost of speed and mobility. Banescale with fans/plumage are incredibly expressive and have bright markings but are easily exposed to those that might hunt them.

10. Banescale are incredibly brave on the nest and will defend it and their offspring with their life. If a mate dies defending the nest, the survivor will do everything to raise the young (including taking on a temporary mate if no other dragons are their to help) before joining their lost mate in death. In communities, they are protective of their elderly and their disabled, making sure both have access to everything they need while keeping them company.
Basing this off some of the birds we have around my home, others are just fun ideas I have.

1. They use music and aerial displays to find mates, they are also skilled in mimicking which can be delightful to some. Some Banescales mate for life when they find a partner they are successful/connect strongly with, others seek new mates every breeding, and some have a harem if the male/female numbers are disproportionate. These harems are typically one dominate female in colder climates or one dominate male in hotter climates with multiple males/females they mate with.

2. They take turns caring for the eggs/hatchlings and build a cache of food so they don't have to hunt as much. Sometimes, the male (especially first time males) are so excited, they will try to feed the eggs. Mates preen each other and rub horns as a show of affection for the other. Both parents encourage and teach their young how to survive two weeks after they've hatched to prepare them for the fledgling stage.

3. For those that mate for life, when their mate dies, they become depressed and begin to shutdown and stop signing. They also grieve for their lost mate (they will even grieve their lost eggs/hatchlings) and refuse to leave their side for days. There is no breaking them from this depression and they usually pass on not too long after.

4. Families can be very close and will reunite to meet their grown offspring to keep bonds strong, they will also watch over each others young if they form a communal nesting. Some have flown from one end of the land to the other just to see their grown offspring or aging parents.

5. If a Banescale pair of the same sex wish for offspring, they are quick to take in any eggs/hatchlings that are abandoned or up for adoption. Family groups have even been known to split up large clutches for first time parents to make the process of parenting easier and fulfill the pair's wish. Some even travel far from their nest site searching for lost offspring to adopt. Since they entered the world once more, this action has spread to the adopting of other dragon species and, rarely, even a lost child of one of the Beastclans.

6. They are very playful and incredibly energetic when young, a high prey drive makes games of chase interesting. They are prone to "zoomies" all their lives. Elderly Banescales have been seen putting on brilliant displays either with their breath weapons or magic.

7. Despite the presence of feathers, they have no fear of burning. Those with feathers produce a special oil that is a highly effective flame retardant they evolved from their original home. This oil can be harvested from special glands which makes them a target to hostile Beastclans looking to assault the fiery realm of the Flamecaller.

8. Banescale have excellent memory and can recall faces and voices of those that have been kind or cruel to them. They pass this knowledge on to other dragons (and friendly Beastclans) and will harass those that did them wrong. Those that were kind to them, they like to bring little trinkets and baubles. They are surprisingly skilled with tools and have learned have to manipulate objects despite lacking forearms.

9. A Banescale with exposed bone plates or porcupine spines tends to be held in a sort of "alpha" position. They're stronger, larger, and better defended at the cost of speed and mobility. Banescale with fans/plumage are incredibly expressive and have bright markings but are easily exposed to those that might hunt them.

10. Banescale are incredibly brave on the nest and will defend it and their offspring with their life. If a mate dies defending the nest, the survivor will do everything to raise the young (including taking on a temporary mate if no other dragons are their to help) before joining their lost mate in death. In communities, they are protective of their elderly and their disabled, making sure both have access to everything they need while keeping them company.
34824.png6NDVAGQ.png34822.png
In a lair with a lot of high-up spaces not filled by anything else, you'll see a lot of Banescale sitting up there, likely singing or humming.
In a lair with a lot of high-up spaces not filled by anything else, you'll see a lot of Banescale sitting up there, likely singing or humming.
1 2 3 4 5