Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | banescale headcanons?
1 2 3 4 5
Banescale, while formidable predators, are also voracious scavengers. Also, they will often drive other dragons away from their kills and steal their meal.
Banescale, while formidable predators, are also voracious scavengers. Also, they will often drive other dragons away from their kills and steal their meal.
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
I'll try to put some down that I thought of (apologies if any of these seem like points that were stated before but SHRUG)!

- Banescales, like one of my personal headcanons for Mirrors, are far more resistant to diseases than more modern breeds are. They've been known to be one of the few dragons in a clan that are still able to function if a plague or some other such infectious disease hits, and as such some of them in the modern era have turned to healer roles in order to deal with maladies more efficiently than a healer of a breed who's susceptible to an illness may be able to. They also have absurdly thick scales to fit their history of being used in combat, and finding ways to pierce through a Banescale's hide is far easier said than done.

- If not rhyming their words altogether, they tend to speak in very flowery and old-fashioned language, which can make it hard for more modern breeds to understand them. Thus, they often resort to body language or vocalizations to get their mood across to other breeds rather than stating it directly. Their calls often sound rather bird-like, to the point where most modern clans that have taken a Banescale in know that the louder a Banescale hatchling gets, the more displeased over something it's bound to be.

- They're quite voracious eaters, and like Mirrors they're not exactly picky about what they eat either. They've been known to resort to eating carrion if food is scarce, and often times if a Banescale clan is ravenous enough feeding frenzies have been known to break out. Cannibalism, however, is a large no-no among Banescale society, and any Banescale found participating in such a barbaric practice is likely to be ostracized, if not shunned from their clan altogether.

- As in modern packs of hyenas, females tend to be the more dominant and aggressive gender, often taking positions of power within pure Banescale clans (which is not to say that a male couldn't take a position of power, but it tends to be a very rare occurrence). If two or more females who have the potential to be dominant are born within a clan, there's often fierce in-fighting between them, and only the female who is deemed strong enough to consistently fend off her challengers will be deemed the leader of that particular clan.

- Their spines hold a mild venom in them, much like the modern species of lionfish- the spine itself is actually a sheath for a dagger-like appendage hidden within, which can be unsheathed and used to stab at an opponent to make a clean getaway. The venom itself is usually not fatal to most large breeds (though a Fae may be in some trouble if they find themselves wounded by it), but it will cause a great amount of pain to the area and may require extraction to ensure that the sensation doesn't spread. Using their venom is usually a last resort for Banescales in combat, however, as it does take some time to be produced again after being used, and most Banescales would rather not find themselves without a source of protection in an emergency situation.

- Depending on the clan and generation of Gaolers making their home there, Banescales may or may not get along with their ancient Ice enemies. Many of the hatchlings that were recently born in the wake of the magma flow seem determined to put the sins of their progenitors behind them and make an honest attempt at extending an olive branch, regardless of how coldly they're rebuffed by Gaolers within the same clan. A small portion of them still believe the Gaolers to ultimately be at fault for the disappearance of their species, however, and though they are content to not let their distaste escalate into physical violence there may still be tension among the Gaolers and that population.

- They are not blind due to their lack of pupils- rather, their eyes are specialized to be able to be useful in combat situations, allowing them to sense heat signatures, magical auras, and sudden changes in temperature. They also have extremely keen night vision, making it exceedingly difficult to plan an ambush on a Banescale clan.

- They mate in a very similar way to what birds of prey do- flying together, then clasping their talons in a free fall, then breaking apart at the last second. Banescales often mate for life, and are extremely protective parents, often taking turns guarding the nest so that the developing hatchlings within their eggs are not left unattended for long periods of time. Like a crocodile, the temperature of their nest will determine what gender the hatchlings are when developing- cooler temperatures result in more females within a nest, while warmer temperatures result in more males.
I'll try to put some down that I thought of (apologies if any of these seem like points that were stated before but SHRUG)!

- Banescales, like one of my personal headcanons for Mirrors, are far more resistant to diseases than more modern breeds are. They've been known to be one of the few dragons in a clan that are still able to function if a plague or some other such infectious disease hits, and as such some of them in the modern era have turned to healer roles in order to deal with maladies more efficiently than a healer of a breed who's susceptible to an illness may be able to. They also have absurdly thick scales to fit their history of being used in combat, and finding ways to pierce through a Banescale's hide is far easier said than done.

- If not rhyming their words altogether, they tend to speak in very flowery and old-fashioned language, which can make it hard for more modern breeds to understand them. Thus, they often resort to body language or vocalizations to get their mood across to other breeds rather than stating it directly. Their calls often sound rather bird-like, to the point where most modern clans that have taken a Banescale in know that the louder a Banescale hatchling gets, the more displeased over something it's bound to be.

- They're quite voracious eaters, and like Mirrors they're not exactly picky about what they eat either. They've been known to resort to eating carrion if food is scarce, and often times if a Banescale clan is ravenous enough feeding frenzies have been known to break out. Cannibalism, however, is a large no-no among Banescale society, and any Banescale found participating in such a barbaric practice is likely to be ostracized, if not shunned from their clan altogether.

- As in modern packs of hyenas, females tend to be the more dominant and aggressive gender, often taking positions of power within pure Banescale clans (which is not to say that a male couldn't take a position of power, but it tends to be a very rare occurrence). If two or more females who have the potential to be dominant are born within a clan, there's often fierce in-fighting between them, and only the female who is deemed strong enough to consistently fend off her challengers will be deemed the leader of that particular clan.

- Their spines hold a mild venom in them, much like the modern species of lionfish- the spine itself is actually a sheath for a dagger-like appendage hidden within, which can be unsheathed and used to stab at an opponent to make a clean getaway. The venom itself is usually not fatal to most large breeds (though a Fae may be in some trouble if they find themselves wounded by it), but it will cause a great amount of pain to the area and may require extraction to ensure that the sensation doesn't spread. Using their venom is usually a last resort for Banescales in combat, however, as it does take some time to be produced again after being used, and most Banescales would rather not find themselves without a source of protection in an emergency situation.

- Depending on the clan and generation of Gaolers making their home there, Banescales may or may not get along with their ancient Ice enemies. Many of the hatchlings that were recently born in the wake of the magma flow seem determined to put the sins of their progenitors behind them and make an honest attempt at extending an olive branch, regardless of how coldly they're rebuffed by Gaolers within the same clan. A small portion of them still believe the Gaolers to ultimately be at fault for the disappearance of their species, however, and though they are content to not let their distaste escalate into physical violence there may still be tension among the Gaolers and that population.

- They are not blind due to their lack of pupils- rather, their eyes are specialized to be able to be useful in combat situations, allowing them to sense heat signatures, magical auras, and sudden changes in temperature. They also have extremely keen night vision, making it exceedingly difficult to plan an ambush on a Banescale clan.

- They mate in a very similar way to what birds of prey do- flying together, then clasping their talons in a free fall, then breaking apart at the last second. Banescales often mate for life, and are extremely protective parents, often taking turns guarding the nest so that the developing hatchlings within their eggs are not left unattended for long periods of time. Like a crocodile, the temperature of their nest will determine what gender the hatchlings are when developing- cooler temperatures result in more females within a nest, while warmer temperatures result in more males.
6bbcbe9acf989176baa27b08e3311178ac4b7a7c.gif
THEY TYPE LIKE THIS
they can balance on one leg really well (usually while doing something with the other one)
THEY TYPE LIKE THIS
they can balance on one leg really well (usually while doing something with the other one)
ttGfSL1.png
in my eyes, banescales are totally the soft older siblings of Coatls, who feel the most connection to them
Coatls be like 'hey this is my friend' and see this sort of awkward wyvern baby who just needs a nest, blanket, and a warm drink
in my eyes, banescales are totally the soft older siblings of Coatls, who feel the most connection to them
Coatls be like 'hey this is my friend' and see this sort of awkward wyvern baby who just needs a nest, blanket, and a warm drink
They/He | My Dappervolk | Proud Father of three cats | In very specific fandoms that are sometimes niche
I imagine the Banescale attitude toward most Gaolers is one of anger. Their entire culture, language and family lines were wiped out by the Gaolers, and they’ve had to adapt to a world that isn’t really designed for them, after being raised by other species. This newest generation probably feels more kinship with Beastclans than other dragons, both Ancient and Modern breeds. Some of them may have even ditched their dragon clans for a life among the Beastclans, serving as fearsome mounts for their earthbound friends. Their ancestors would probably freak out to see them associating with Beastclans in this way, but they’re all dead, and their kids make the decisions now. A lot of Banescale are little punks by Ancient standards! They like conjuring clothing-like accents, because they agree with the Modern attitude that it’s weird to be Nude all the time, but clothes are just too difficult to tailor for their bodies outside of simple cross-body bags and other utilitarian stuff. Gaolers just find this stuff weird because they don’t find anyone who isn’t covered in hair weird- the hair negates the need for clothing. If you’re not shaved and you have a bag for your tools, you’re all right by Gaoler standards. In fact, Gaolers use the same word to describe themselves and Tundras in their language, but refer to all other dragon breeds as the word for “naked.” Banescale are called several things in their language, most of which are mildly insulting. This feeling is mutual. I very much enjoy @Bronzewing’s headcanon about the Hawaiian shirts- punky Banescale kids make do!
I imagine the Banescale attitude toward most Gaolers is one of anger. Their entire culture, language and family lines were wiped out by the Gaolers, and they’ve had to adapt to a world that isn’t really designed for them, after being raised by other species. This newest generation probably feels more kinship with Beastclans than other dragons, both Ancient and Modern breeds. Some of them may have even ditched their dragon clans for a life among the Beastclans, serving as fearsome mounts for their earthbound friends. Their ancestors would probably freak out to see them associating with Beastclans in this way, but they’re all dead, and their kids make the decisions now. A lot of Banescale are little punks by Ancient standards! They like conjuring clothing-like accents, because they agree with the Modern attitude that it’s weird to be Nude all the time, but clothes are just too difficult to tailor for their bodies outside of simple cross-body bags and other utilitarian stuff. Gaolers just find this stuff weird because they don’t find anyone who isn’t covered in hair weird- the hair negates the need for clothing. If you’re not shaved and you have a bag for your tools, you’re all right by Gaoler standards. In fact, Gaolers use the same word to describe themselves and Tundras in their language, but refer to all other dragon breeds as the word for “naked.” Banescale are called several things in their language, most of which are mildly insulting. This feeling is mutual. I very much enjoy @Bronzewing’s headcanon about the Hawaiian shirts- punky Banescale kids make do!
sup im stu

please click my eggs!
https://pokefarm.com/user/rainsoftenings
Just from the lore I gave the boys I hatched.

-The egg pairs each clan was given were sitting next to each other in the last clutch.

-After sitting together in the safety of the egg for so long, the hatchling pair are bonded in a way that is so close other dragons don't understand it. They feel a bond of centuries with the other hatchling they've never met and the one that hatches first cuddles with the unhatched egg until it opens.

-Curious about other dragons and eggs.

-Latch onto and bug the Coatls because their hums remind them of hearing their parents from within the egg.

-Might be rather confused when they first see the opposite sex, if their fellow hatchling from the egg was another male or female. Rakeshi and Thrawn are going to be so "what is girl?" when they first meet a female Banescale.
Just from the lore I gave the boys I hatched.

-The egg pairs each clan was given were sitting next to each other in the last clutch.

-After sitting together in the safety of the egg for so long, the hatchling pair are bonded in a way that is so close other dragons don't understand it. They feel a bond of centuries with the other hatchling they've never met and the one that hatches first cuddles with the unhatched egg until it opens.

-Curious about other dragons and eggs.

-Latch onto and bug the Coatls because their hums remind them of hearing their parents from within the egg.

-Might be rather confused when they first see the opposite sex, if their fellow hatchling from the egg was another male or female. Rakeshi and Thrawn are going to be so "what is girl?" when they first meet a female Banescale.
Nest Rentals! I offer Fire nests here at 2kt a pair, no lunch boxes needed. Warning that I am a 12-hr shift night worker and might miss a day on incubation here and there. :(
Feel free to ping me anywhere! I try to subscribe to threads I create, but pings are always cool.
The fans and spines are mobile (the fans much more so than the spines, especially with porcupine having them all crowded together) and tend to raise and lower depending on how threatened the Banescale feels. They also hold their wings up and out some.

Like a rooster puffing out his feathers to look bigger.
The fans and spines are mobile (the fans much more so than the spines, especially with porcupine having them all crowded together) and tend to raise and lower depending on how threatened the Banescale feels. They also hold their wings up and out some.

Like a rooster puffing out his feathers to look bigger.
Just a couple of tiny ones! (And one I went way overboard on.)

-Banescales with the Porcupine gene rattle their spines when they're threatened/angry.

-The mist from the Wraith gene is usually odorless... unless the Banescale is a certain element. Banescales with scented mist can actually ignore it since they're used to the smell.
  • Fire smells like smoke.
  • Nature can smell like a lot of things (flowers, herbs, certain spices, cut grass).
  • Earth smells like dirt or dust.
  • Water... just smells "wet" I guess. (Like actual mist/fog... or maybe petrichor?)
  • Plague actually varies between being odorless.... or being horribly smelly. (Probably like carrion... or maybe skunk spray?)
--Despite not having a scent, Wraith mist from an Arcane Banescale feels a bit tingly when inhaled... (Possibly Lightning too?)
--Ice and Fire mist also feel cold and warm respectively. Water mist is damp. Earth mist feels like you stuck your hand in a desert dust cloud.

-Banescales can use their feet like parrots do. (I know they don't look like parrot feet, but I like this one.)

-This might not be one all of them can do (and might work on all dragons), but I've pictured my Light-elemented boy Basil making his fans (and later Chevron/Arrow markings) light up.
Just a couple of tiny ones! (And one I went way overboard on.)

-Banescales with the Porcupine gene rattle their spines when they're threatened/angry.

-The mist from the Wraith gene is usually odorless... unless the Banescale is a certain element. Banescales with scented mist can actually ignore it since they're used to the smell.
  • Fire smells like smoke.
  • Nature can smell like a lot of things (flowers, herbs, certain spices, cut grass).
  • Earth smells like dirt or dust.
  • Water... just smells "wet" I guess. (Like actual mist/fog... or maybe petrichor?)
  • Plague actually varies between being odorless.... or being horribly smelly. (Probably like carrion... or maybe skunk spray?)
--Despite not having a scent, Wraith mist from an Arcane Banescale feels a bit tingly when inhaled... (Possibly Lightning too?)
--Ice and Fire mist also feel cold and warm respectively. Water mist is damp. Earth mist feels like you stuck your hand in a desert dust cloud.

-Banescales can use their feet like parrots do. (I know they don't look like parrot feet, but I like this one.)

-This might not be one all of them can do (and might work on all dragons), but I've pictured my Light-elemented boy Basil making his fans (and later Chevron/Arrow markings) light up.
jzvbXGV.pngsignatureletsmakesomescience_by_starryspelunker-da15fz6.pngeqUNHue.png
not the most serious, but
you know how eagles interlock and dance in air when mating? banescales do that
not the most serious, but
you know how eagles interlock and dance in air when mating? banescales do that
9fbec014932d0afc30da6fd2c36bc2ad26496952.png ePOliyb.png
UkjerOF.png
o7ZCFYm.png
VDqpTLf.png
kSsCpBU.png
AaYNmEX.png
2Dp2REm.png
wbvK3HZ.png
oczO35g.png
JDcLBdb.png
0f4639ddb8ec8007aa64d9018bee7bc1d8d4f7cd.png
-Baby Banes need a beat to hatch, a parent has to stomp or do something rhythmic.

-They unify and coordinate their movements in battle through a rhythmic beat created by a percussionist Bane adorned in metal plates and bangles. This beat, like the one they hatch to, is the same tempo as the last song the ancient Banescale sang and one they know innately.

-They're not very graceful singers, Coatl are far better. They can match pitch pretty well but have rough, guttural voices. They greatly admire Coatl for the beauty of their voices.

-Banes who cannot keep time are a rarity and are ostracized. Deaf banes are accepted, as they can feel the pulse through vibrations.
-Baby Banes need a beat to hatch, a parent has to stomp or do something rhythmic.

-They unify and coordinate their movements in battle through a rhythmic beat created by a percussionist Bane adorned in metal plates and bangles. This beat, like the one they hatch to, is the same tempo as the last song the ancient Banescale sang and one they know innately.

-They're not very graceful singers, Coatl are far better. They can match pitch pretty well but have rough, guttural voices. They greatly admire Coatl for the beauty of their voices.

-Banes who cannot keep time are a rarity and are ostracized. Deaf banes are accepted, as they can feel the pulse through vibrations.
td9UiZS.png
1 2 3 4 5