Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Is Stained Unpopular?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
stained can look amazing on some dragons, but for me i really do tend to prefer something more visible considering the cost of it; ive only been using stained for those dragons with a tert that just cant be used otherwise, since i personally hate having dragons with less than 3 genes yesterday i spent a whole lot of treasure to get stained on one of my spirals and she really doesnt even look that different, but i like the more somber colors compared to how she was before, and now i dont have to worry about finding something to do with that pesky charcoal tert! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=661901] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/6620/661901_350.png[/img] [/url] i think my next victim will probably be this fella, since i havent found a use of his royal tert that i like: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1041466] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/10415/1041466_350.png[/img] [/url]
stained can look amazing on some dragons, but for me i really do tend to prefer something more visible considering the cost of it; ive only been using stained for those dragons with a tert that just cant be used otherwise, since i personally hate having dragons with less than 3 genes

yesterday i spent a whole lot of treasure to get stained on one of my spirals and she really doesnt even look that different, but i like the more somber colors compared to how she was before, and now i dont have to worry about finding something to do with that pesky charcoal tert!

661901_350.png

i think my next victim will probably be this fella, since i havent found a use of his royal tert that i like:

1041466_350.png
I love stained, but it is way to expensive. I'm really dissapointed the staff didn't lower the price after widespread complaint. I feel like if they lowered it to 600 gems sales would increase significantly. I personally just want to get it for some Gen 1s I have, but refuse to pay the same as a secondary/primary gene.
I love stained, but it is way to expensive. I'm really dissapointed the staff didn't lower the price after widespread complaint. I feel like if they lowered it to 600 gems sales would increase significantly. I personally just want to get it for some Gen 1s I have, but refuse to pay the same as a secondary/primary gene.
I hate it. I hate Stained more than any other Tertiary gene with the sole exception of Crackle.

Why?

Well, if my dragon has an ugly tert, why on earth would I want to smear a diluted version of that ugly tert all over an otherwise okay dragon?

It was widely disliked upon release and the fact that it's such a lazily designed gene makes it being available for gems a real bone of contention for a lot of users.
I hate it. I hate Stained more than any other Tertiary gene with the sole exception of Crackle.

Why?

Well, if my dragon has an ugly tert, why on earth would I want to smear a diluted version of that ugly tert all over an otherwise okay dragon?

It was widely disliked upon release and the fact that it's such a lazily designed gene makes it being available for gems a real bone of contention for a lot of users.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
I've seen arguments that Stained was lazy, but i disagree. Just because it's basically a filter doesn't mean it wasn't well-planned or that it didn't require the same effort as some of the other genes. It is expensive, but at the same time on the right dragon it really does wonders. I just think it has tremendous unrealized potential. I mean, look at the posts so far! Plus this... @TheParamoreVeil Your post with the mirrors inspired me! I have had a dragon since joining who I love and she's my lvl 25 mage. But she's so difficult to breed because of her tert...Spring. Here she is currently: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=171689&did=13955031][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=7&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=9bad79d456b6549141602e284230abb68ae8ec88&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] Nobody wants Smoke...or Spring, it seems. Her mate has Contour because I thought...it looks kinda cool. So there's this: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=13&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=5eac4b7312fdfa0ffb8f94c8909a5c3ab1b72519&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I really kind of like it, but still not selling babies. The only one I've sold was because of Skink, I'm pretty sure. But after I saw the post with the Mirrors...I got to thinking: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=12&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=4ccfa2f3dff80514495d733c60659482969fe7d9&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I'd never considered it for her before...and now...? I'm really kind of liking that!
I've seen arguments that Stained was lazy, but i disagree. Just because it's basically a filter doesn't mean it wasn't well-planned or that it didn't require the same effort as some of the other genes.

It is expensive, but at the same time on the right dragon it really does wonders. I just think it has tremendous unrealized potential. I mean, look at the posts so far! Plus this...

@TheParamoreVeil Your post with the mirrors inspired me!

I have had a dragon since joining who I love and she's my lvl 25 mage. But she's so difficult to breed because of her tert...Spring.

Here she is currently:
dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=7&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=9bad79d456b6549141602e284230abb68ae8ec88&dummyext=prev.png

Nobody wants Smoke...or Spring, it seems. Her mate has Contour because I thought...it looks kinda cool. So there's this:
dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=13&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=5eac4b7312fdfa0ffb8f94c8909a5c3ab1b72519&dummyext=prev.png

I really kind of like it, but still not selling babies. The only one I've sold was because of Skink, I'm pretty sure. But after I saw the post with the Mirrors...I got to thinking:

dragon?age=1&body=27&bodygene=15&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=40&tertgene=12&winggene=13&wings=37&auth=4ccfa2f3dff80514495d733c60659482969fe7d9&dummyext=prev.png

I'd never considered it for her before...and now...?

I'm really kind of liking that!
lGriifT.png
I love, love, [i]love[/i] Stained, and it still upsets me that it's a gem gene. I think it'd be [i]wildly[/i] popular if it were on the same tier as Gembond or Runes. [size=1]Didn't stop me from buying this little lady for absurd amounts of cash like, the week after Stained was released.[/size] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20868015] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/208681/20868015_350.png[/img] [/url]
I love, love, love Stained, and it still upsets me that it's a gem gene. I think it'd be wildly popular if it were on the same tier as Gembond or Runes.

Didn't stop me from buying this little lady for absurd amounts of cash like, the week after Stained was released.

20868015_350.png
I really love it when Stained makes a dark color look brighter or bright colors look darker. Like my Nadia. Her wings are Lead, but you'd never know it at first glance--which is actually one thing that is kind of annoying to me about Stained. You can guess at what color a dragon is usually and be pretty close. Stained makes it incredibly difficult sometimes. Anyway, this is what she looks like. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25382001] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/253821/25382001_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] This is what she'd look like without Stained. Say, if her tertiary gene were Spines or something. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=8&breed=13&element=8&gender=1&tert=139&tertgene=8&winggene=1&wings=118&auth=405045b894715f54cb42863d89cbe93ffa3ed948&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] Jonathan, her mate, has the same thing going on, but for his primary. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24872228] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/248723/24872228_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] And with Underbelly instead. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=129&bodygene=1&breed=3&element=11&gender=0&tert=1&tertgene=5&winggene=1&wings=97&auth=c5bc92388d502c533210497081a0d446c25112a4&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] These dragons just wouldn't be themselves without their Stained... I actually think that Stained really benefits a lot of the newer Iridescent/Shimmer colors that are super-bright. Stained helps tone them down a bit, while still having that shiny look about them.
I really love it when Stained makes a dark color look brighter or bright colors look darker. Like my Nadia. Her wings are Lead, but you'd never know it at first glance--which is actually one thing that is kind of annoying to me about Stained. You can guess at what color a dragon is usually and be pretty close. Stained makes it incredibly difficult sometimes. Anyway, this is what she looks like.

This is what she'd look like without Stained. Say, if her tertiary gene were Spines or something.
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=8&breed=13&element=8&gender=1&tert=139&tertgene=8&winggene=1&wings=118&auth=405045b894715f54cb42863d89cbe93ffa3ed948&dummyext=prev.png

Jonathan, her mate, has the same thing going on, but for his primary.

And with Underbelly instead.
dragon?age=1&body=129&bodygene=1&breed=3&element=11&gender=0&tert=1&tertgene=5&winggene=1&wings=97&auth=c5bc92388d502c533210497081a0d446c25112a4&dummyext=prev.png

These dragons just wouldn't be themselves without their Stained... I actually think that Stained really benefits a lot of the newer Iridescent/Shimmer colors that are super-bright. Stained helps tone them down a bit, while still having that shiny look about them.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="@Stormdragon" date=2016-09-15 23:19:20] [quote name="Shian" date=2016-09-14 14:32:52] Previews nixed for space [/quote] I [i]can[/i] see the difference. The top one's belly is a lighter green, something I would describe as "pear skin", the second I would say "avocado", and the third has a yellowy-orangey-green tint, it seems more saturated than the other two. So like overall, the first one seems to have a washout effect, the colors are kinda duller than the other two examples, since I'm comparing between the three, the middle one is well...the middle one, in-between the top and bottom one. The bottom one I can for sure tell it has a yellowy tint. This being said, yes they are very similar and these are very careful observations. But from first look I could tell they're different. Remember everyone sees color differently...so something that may look exactly the same no difference to you can look really different to someone else. And really if you buy a dragon before you scry it expecting the tert is going to magically fix everything and make it your perfect dream dragon then well... [/quote] This can also depend on everyone's monitors and their color saturation settings. I can't see the difference between the three scrys, except on one of them the stripes look a tad bit darker. Otherwise, nothing. This is probably a combo of my own poor eyesight, my monitor, and my constant need of the Flux add-on. ~~ That said, to reply to the thread: I dislike Stained with a passion. I think selling a photoshop filter that I (an amateur artist) can recreate in 20 seconds for the equivalent of $12 is a joke and borderline disrespect. People can say it's not lazy, but it is. Because it took them no time at all to design this gene. [i]Cos there's nothing to design.[/i] The filter goes over everything, even the lineart, so every dragon with Stained looks like a dusty mess. I don't think it "Saves bad terts" because Stained just smears a 20% opacity filter of that bad tert all over your dragon. And I don't care for the way it's so dependent on the dominant color of the dragon to work. Light dragons look way better than dark dragons. So it has the same problem that Thylacine, and now Runes, has in that it's wildly inconsistent from one dragon to the next. Sure it's "Doing what it's supposed to" but I still think it's bogus. And yeah, I probably wouldn't hate it as much if it wasn't a Gem Gene. I actively refuse to buy dragons with it because I don't care for it [i]that [/i]much. If I'm going to save up 1200 fricken gems, I'll just buy Glimmer.
@Stormdragon wrote on 2016-09-15:
Shian wrote on 2016-09-14:

Previews nixed for space

I can see the difference. The top one's belly is a lighter green, something I would describe as "pear skin", the second I would say "avocado", and the third has a yellowy-orangey-green tint, it seems more saturated than the other two. So like overall, the first one seems to have a washout effect, the colors are kinda duller than the other two examples, since I'm comparing between the three, the middle one is well...the middle one, in-between the top and bottom one. The bottom one I can for sure tell it has a yellowy tint.

This being said, yes they are very similar and these are very careful observations. But from first look I could tell they're different. Remember everyone sees color differently...so something that may look exactly the same no difference to you can look really different to someone else.

And really if you buy a dragon before you scry it expecting the tert is going to magically fix everything and make it your perfect dream dragon then well...

This can also depend on everyone's monitors and their color saturation settings. I can't see the difference between the three scrys, except on one of them the stripes look a tad bit darker. Otherwise, nothing. This is probably a combo of my own poor eyesight, my monitor, and my constant need of the Flux add-on.

~~

That said, to reply to the thread:

I dislike Stained with a passion. I think selling a photoshop filter that I (an amateur artist) can recreate in 20 seconds for the equivalent of $12 is a joke and borderline disrespect. People can say it's not lazy, but it is. Because it took them no time at all to design this gene. Cos there's nothing to design. The filter goes over everything, even the lineart, so every dragon with Stained looks like a dusty mess. I don't think it "Saves bad terts" because Stained just smears a 20% opacity filter of that bad tert all over your dragon. And I don't care for the way it's so dependent on the dominant color of the dragon to work. Light dragons look way better than dark dragons. So it has the same problem that Thylacine, and now Runes, has in that it's wildly inconsistent from one dragon to the next. Sure it's "Doing what it's supposed to" but I still think it's bogus. And yeah, I probably wouldn't hate it as much if it wasn't a Gem Gene. I actively refuse to buy dragons with it because I don't care for it that much. If I'm going to save up 1200 fricken gems, I'll just buy Glimmer.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I do think it's rather overpriced and it's hard to tell if some dragons even have it. But if used just right, it can be a beautiful gene!

Petals + Butterfly + Stained = Stained Glass?
I do think it's rather overpriced and it's hard to tell if some dragons even have it. But if used just right, it can be a beautiful gene!

Petals + Butterfly + Stained = Stained Glass?
eg1jZa2.png
It washes out a lot of dragons, and it's WAY too basic to spend 1200g on IMO.

But it does look good on certain dragons, especially pastels. Heck the dragon in my icon right now has Rose Stained.
It washes out a lot of dragons, and it's WAY too basic to spend 1200g on IMO.

But it does look good on certain dragons, especially pastels. Heck the dragon in my icon right now has Rose Stained.
e4TvxbF.gifn0skEd8.png
[quote name="McAlli" date=2016-09-16 12:46:11] The filter goes over everything, even the lineart, so every dragon with Stained looks like a dusty mess. [/quote] I agree with this more than any other objection to Stained. I wish wish wish it didn't cover the lineart. FR is so adamant about that with skins and accents, and I feel like that's this gene's major flaw.
McAlli wrote on 2016-09-16:
The filter goes over everything, even the lineart, so every dragon with Stained looks like a dusty mess.

I agree with this more than any other objection to Stained. I wish wish wish it didn't cover the lineart. FR is so adamant about that with skins and accents, and I feel like that's this gene's major flaw.
lGriifT.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10