Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46 47
[center][size=6]Announcements![/size] [i](If you'd rather skip to today's discussion prompt, scroll to the large {*} mark below!)[/i][/center] Before we dive into the first ever Lorenieth discussion prompt (!), I would like to make a few announcements! First of all, Lorenieth now has a full set of thread volunteers! Everyone give a warm welcome to [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=176906]SgtCredo[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=280772]mauvehouseplant[/url], and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=208927]FeDog[/url]! :D Second of all, Lorenieth has some new graphics! The codes have been added [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2406780/1#post_32421002][b]here[/b][/url] if anyone is interested in using any of these in their signature, on their profile, or wherever suits their fancy! Here they are, in the order they were received: [LIST] [*]Special thanks to @Bongo for making a signature-sized retro icon! [/LIST] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/lQ2v9tt.png[/img][/center] [LIST] [*]And special thanks to @Shian for making both a banner and a signature-sized button! [/LIST] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/IdMxaXc.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/I1fQyoS.png[/img][/center] Additionally, Lorenieth now officially has affiliates! Here they are, in the order they were added: [LIST] [*]First, there's [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1440982]The IC Correspondence Association[/url] run by [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=39515]Bongo[/url]! It aims to increase player to player IC interaction, mainly through letters. So far they have had success in promoting terms like 'RP Friendly' vs 'RP clan,' but are this year also hoping to run a few events centered around this interacting within the lore, as well as semi-regularly sign-posting similar and related events and threads. [*]Next, there's [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2407354]Lorebuilding 101[/url] run by [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=13256]Shian[/url]! It's a class focusing on basic lore so one may build a solid foundation for their clan. Sharing your lore based on the weekly topic is encouraged, and new topics will be available every Friday! [/LIST] I'd also like to thank everyone again who joined Lorenieth in advance. It means a lot to me, and I really hope you all have a fantastic time! And so, without further ado... ----- [center][size=6][b]{*}[/b] [Site Lore] What are your thoughts, analyses, and/or headcanons regarding Marva?[/size] Buffer Prompt[/center] Ahh, Marva! Rumors of this mysterious figure always surface at this time of year, because every April 1st, she seems to be most active in her mischief! And since today is her day, it seems only fitting for her to be the main subject of this prompt! What do we know for sure about Marva? [LIST=1] [*]She's referred to with feminine pronouns (see: Marva's Hat series flavor text). [*]She has quite a thing for magic tricks and mischief! [/LIST] That doesn't seem like a lot, but that's where this prompt comes in! Feel free to share any insights or analyses you may have on Marva's items; discuss headcanons regarding her personality, creative process, breed, elemental affiliation, etc.; and/or build off of other people's ideas. You could even share scries, art, or fandragons if you so wish! Most importantly, have fun, and happy Easter Fools Day! :D [center][item="Marva's Wondrous Whimsy"][item="Marva's Incredible Ire"] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] Though I'm not sure what they would imply about her character, I'm intrigued by the fact that when Marva "chests" from 2014 through 2016 are used, it doesn't vanish from our inventories the way most chests do. Instead, it leaves behind a depleted version of itself. I personally find their descriptions kind of sad: [columns] [item="Marva's Depleted Trick"] [nextcol] [i]"This hat once held something of interest. It is faded and broken."[/i] [/columns] [columns] [item="Marva's Depleted Twine"] [nextcol] [i]"This ball of twine was once marvelous, but is now spent, faded and worn."[/i] [/columns] [columns] [item="Depleted Miraculous Reflection"] [nextcol] [i]"This mirror is not as miraculous as it once was..."[/i] [/columns] Could this imply a sense of resignation and sadness when a good trick has been spent? What lore possibilities could there be regarding why these chests in particular don't "disappear?" I'm not entirely sure, but I'm interested in reading any analyses on the existence / descriptions of these items! ^^ Additionally, I've come to an interesting dilemma regarding what elemental affiliation I headcanon her with. Shadow at first seemed like a safe bet, since they're known for being tricksters (see: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/world-map]The Tangled Wood[/url]) -- what better element for a dragon whose most defining trait is her love for magic tricks and pranks? But this is complicated by that same description, which later goes on to state that Shadow dragons "prefer to be... fickle." Marva strikes me as rather dedicated to her craft, so this may create some conflict with the theory that she could be a Shadow dragon. I'd love to hear if you have any other suggestions to what elemental affiliation Marva may have, or how the fickleness of being a Shadow dragon vs. her supposed dedication could be reconciled. :D [center][size=2]Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
Announcements!

(If you'd rather skip to today's discussion prompt, scroll to the large {*} mark below!)

Before we dive into the first ever Lorenieth discussion prompt (!), I would like to make a few announcements!

First of all, Lorenieth now has a full set of thread volunteers! Everyone give a warm welcome to SgtCredo, mauvehouseplant, and FeDog! :D

Second of all, Lorenieth has some new graphics! The codes have been added here if anyone is interested in using any of these in their signature, on their profile, or wherever suits their fancy! Here they are, in the order they were received:

• Special thanks to @Bongo for making a signature-sized retro icon!

lQ2v9tt.png

• And special thanks to @Shian for making both a banner and a signature-sized button!

IdMxaXc.png I1fQyoS.png

Additionally, Lorenieth now officially has affiliates! Here they are, in the order they were added:

• First, there's The IC Correspondence Association run by Bongo! It aims to increase player to player IC interaction, mainly through letters. So far they have had success in promoting terms like 'RP Friendly' vs 'RP clan,' but are this year also hoping to run a few events centered around this interacting within the lore, as well as semi-regularly sign-posting similar and related events and threads.

• Next, there's Lorebuilding 101 run by Shian! It's a class focusing on basic lore so one may build a solid foundation for their clan. Sharing your lore based on the weekly topic is encouraged, and new topics will be available every Friday!

I'd also like to thank everyone again who joined Lorenieth in advance. It means a lot to me, and I really hope you all have a fantastic time!

And so, without further ado...

{*}

[Site Lore] What are your thoughts, analyses, and/or headcanons regarding Marva?

Buffer Prompt

Ahh, Marva! Rumors of this mysterious figure always surface at this time of year, because every April 1st, she seems to be most active in her mischief! And since today is her day, it seems only fitting for her to be the main subject of this prompt!

What do we know for sure about Marva?

1. She's referred to with feminine pronouns (see: Marva's Hat series flavor text).

2. She has quite a thing for magic tricks and mischief!

That doesn't seem like a lot, but that's where this prompt comes in! Feel free to share any insights or analyses you may have on Marva's items; discuss headcanons regarding her personality, creative process, breed, elemental affiliation, etc.; and/or build off of other people's ideas. You could even share scries, art, or fandragons if you so wish!

Most importantly, have fun, and happy Easter Fools Day! :D

Marva's Wondrous Whimsy Marva's Incredible Ire

{*}

Some Thoughts:

Though I'm not sure what they would imply about her character, I'm intrigued by the fact that when Marva "chests" from 2014 through 2016 are used, it doesn't vanish from our inventories the way most chests do. Instead, it leaves behind a depleted version of itself. I personally find their descriptions kind of sad:

Marva's Depleted Trick "This hat once held something of interest. It is faded and broken."
Marva's Depleted Twine "This ball of twine was once marvelous, but is now spent, faded and worn."
Depleted Miraculous Reflection "This mirror is not as miraculous as it once was..."

Could this imply a sense of resignation and sadness when a good trick has been spent? What lore possibilities could there be regarding why these chests in particular don't "disappear?" I'm not entirely sure, but I'm interested in reading any analyses on the existence / descriptions of these items! ^^

Additionally, I've come to an interesting dilemma regarding what elemental affiliation I headcanon her with. Shadow at first seemed like a safe bet, since they're known for being tricksters (see: The Tangled Wood) -- what better element for a dragon whose most defining trait is her love for magic tricks and pranks? But this is complicated by that same description, which later goes on to state that Shadow dragons "prefer to be... fickle." Marva strikes me as rather dedicated to her craft, so this may create some conflict with the theory that she could be a Shadow dragon.

I'd love to hear if you have any other suggestions to what elemental affiliation Marva may have, or how the fickleness of being a Shadow dragon vs. her supposed dedication could be reconciled. :D

Pinglist was here.
Perhaps Marva is not an individual dragon, but a folk figure? Like Santa and the Easter Bunny, they're concepts, not people! Maybe parents tell stories of Marva to their hatchlings, and use her as a figure to represent their practical jokes each year on April 1st ^-^
Perhaps Marva is not an individual dragon, but a folk figure? Like Santa and the Easter Bunny, they're concepts, not people! Maybe parents tell stories of Marva to their hatchlings, and use her as a figure to represent their practical jokes each year on April 1st ^-^
There was a thread where we had a short discussion on Marva just a little while ago

Here it is.

In my head Marva is possibly a Nocturne, or a Ridgeback with some sort of mental quirk that causes them to do the opposite of borrowing. They have an uncontrollable, instinctive need to gift things.

Marva loves to make things.
Every year Marva tries crafting something different but they never turn out the way they want it to. There is some sort of chaotic magic around Marva that causes the objects they craft to warp and do its own thing, no matter how hard Marva tries to control it.
Marva really wants to share their craft, can't help but share in fact, (it is a compulsion) with other dragons but does so in secret because they worry what the dragons would think of their items.

Or Marva is a joker who likes to act like a tricksy Easter Bunny or Santa Clause.

No matter what. In my head, there is some interesting chaos magic hanging around Marva.

Another headcannon mentioned in the other thread is that Marva is the Shade or an agent of the Shade.
Evidence of her connection to the Shade could be the depleted items that sit in our inventory waiting to be activated by the Shade and corrupt us all. :)
There was a thread where we had a short discussion on Marva just a little while ago

Here it is.

In my head Marva is possibly a Nocturne, or a Ridgeback with some sort of mental quirk that causes them to do the opposite of borrowing. They have an uncontrollable, instinctive need to gift things.

Marva loves to make things.
Every year Marva tries crafting something different but they never turn out the way they want it to. There is some sort of chaotic magic around Marva that causes the objects they craft to warp and do its own thing, no matter how hard Marva tries to control it.
Marva really wants to share their craft, can't help but share in fact, (it is a compulsion) with other dragons but does so in secret because they worry what the dragons would think of their items.

Or Marva is a joker who likes to act like a tricksy Easter Bunny or Santa Clause.

No matter what. In my head, there is some interesting chaos magic hanging around Marva.

Another headcannon mentioned in the other thread is that Marva is the Shade or an agent of the Shade.
Evidence of her connection to the Shade could be the depleted items that sit in our inventory waiting to be activated by the Shade and corrupt us all. :)
7zcCDc4.png
I like to think the chests itself contained a magic spell, which summons the items, but doesn't destroy the chest itself. Hence it being magic it would also make the chest more marvelous/miracolous/etc and when it is spend it would look more worn.

For Marvas element, I actually would put her in shadow or arcane. Leaning towards arcane though since she would be able to weave some powerful magic, not alone the items itself, but also getting them into everyones lair undetected. She might have just simply found joy in the tricks shadow dragons plays and the act of gifting.

Maybe Marva isn't one person either, but a group of person, maybe a family that comes together every year on april 1st and together prepare and deliver these chests. It would explain better how she is able to get to so many lairs within one night (aka rollover)
I like to think the chests itself contained a magic spell, which summons the items, but doesn't destroy the chest itself. Hence it being magic it would also make the chest more marvelous/miracolous/etc and when it is spend it would look more worn.

For Marvas element, I actually would put her in shadow or arcane. Leaning towards arcane though since she would be able to weave some powerful magic, not alone the items itself, but also getting them into everyones lair undetected. She might have just simply found joy in the tricks shadow dragons plays and the act of gifting.

Maybe Marva isn't one person either, but a group of person, maybe a family that comes together every year on april 1st and together prepare and deliver these chests. It would explain better how she is able to get to so many lairs within one night (aka rollover)
ukDKhF5.png

I sometimes wonder if she is a member of a beastclan. Spinning, glass work, these are trades that require a bit of dexterity. (Though they could be contract work.) Historically her gifts tend to make dragons look silly or take themselves less seriously.
Do we even know Marva is a dragon?

I sometimes wonder if she is a member of a beastclan. Spinning, glass work, these are trades that require a bit of dexterity. (Though they could be contract work.) Historically her gifts tend to make dragons look silly or take themselves less seriously.
UYU9v2z.jpg
I prefer to think of Marva as a shadow dragon. Preferring to be fickle doesn't mean that all shadow dragons are fickle or even if they are, that they are all the time in all things they do.

Additionally, if she was a shadow dragon, I feel like this once a year gift prank is more in line with worship or an act of duty, rather then a flight of fancy. You could think of Marva as like a high priestess or even Saint of the Shadowbinder gifting harmless tricks once a year on the dragons. She could even be a first child nocturne like the gaolers for the Ice Warden.
I prefer to think of Marva as a shadow dragon. Preferring to be fickle doesn't mean that all shadow dragons are fickle or even if they are, that they are all the time in all things they do.

Additionally, if she was a shadow dragon, I feel like this once a year gift prank is more in line with worship or an act of duty, rather then a flight of fancy. You could think of Marva as like a high priestess or even Saint of the Shadowbinder gifting harmless tricks once a year on the dragons. She could even be a first child nocturne like the gaolers for the Ice Warden.
I like the idea of Marva as a folk figure. Like Santa Claus, different flights could claim she has origins in their flight and lives there, though I'm sure shadow has the most credible claim on her.
I like the idea of Marva as a folk figure. Like Santa Claus, different flights could claim she has origins in their flight and lives there, though I'm sure shadow has the most credible claim on her.
cvhDu9P.gif
I think of Marva as a female bogsneak who used to give out silly gifts and pull harmless pranks in her clan, especially for hatchlings. Now, it's a holiday tradition for a handful of dragons to be appointed "Marva" for their element, and work together to bring silly gifts and shenanigans to all the lairs!
I think of Marva as a female bogsneak who used to give out silly gifts and pull harmless pranks in her clan, especially for hatchlings. Now, it's a holiday tradition for a handful of dragons to be appointed "Marva" for their element, and work together to bring silly gifts and shenanigans to all the lairs!
FooterAds.gif
Whenever I think of Marva. I think of a dragon like this: [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/152663/15266200_350.png[/img] Because there's a dragon from my first nest named Ma[b]vr[/b]a who looks like that. I don't really have any lore for her.
Whenever I think of Marva. I think of a dragon like this:
15266200_350.png

Because there's a dragon from my first nest named Mavra who looks like that. I don't really have any lore for her.
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Other stuff
My Levelling Service
My Stock the Pond Pairs
Plague Subspecies Masterlist
Formatting is pain
You found this by accident
Regarding Marva’s chests not disappearing, it could be because they’re not actual chests. Actual chests could be made out of magical energy that was manipulated to resemble an object. Once the illusion is disrupted by opening the chest, the magical energy returns to Sornieth and the “chest” fades.

Marva’s chests, on the other hand, could be ordinary physical objects enchanted to act like actual chests. Once her chests are opened, the physical objects she cast her spells on remain behind when the magic fades. That could also explain the descriptions; they could be a dragon’s reaction to finding what they think is a fully functional chest, only to realize its magic has already been used up.
Regarding Marva’s chests not disappearing, it could be because they’re not actual chests. Actual chests could be made out of magical energy that was manipulated to resemble an object. Once the illusion is disrupted by opening the chest, the magical energy returns to Sornieth and the “chest” fades.

Marva’s chests, on the other hand, could be ordinary physical objects enchanted to act like actual chests. Once her chests are opened, the physical objects she cast her spells on remain behind when the magic fades. That could also explain the descriptions; they could be a dragon’s reaction to finding what they think is a fully functional chest, only to realize its magic has already been used up.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46 47