Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
[center][size=6]{Breed Lore} What are some ways that monotone-speaking Fae choose to communicate their tone or intentions?[/size] Suggested by @Tox[/center] [quote="The Submitter"] Can Fae choose to speak with emotional inflection if desired? [/quote] These are definitely interesting questions! :D To expand upon them: how do you guys headcanon Fae communication with each other? It's strongly implied that they use their [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=1]"expressive crest"[/url] to share tone and intent with other Fae, but in what ways do they do this? Do their crests function similarly to those of animals who communicate using the positions of their ears, or do they work differently? Meanwhile, how might Fae try to adapt their expression to facilitate communication with other dragon breeds? If they can speak with emotional inflection, is it a learned skill? As always, feel free to go totally wild with your headcanons, theories, and thoughts! If you have any Fae with lore relating to this prompt, feel free to share up to [b]three[/b] of them and how they connect! ^^ I can't wait to read everyone's responses! [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=31&bodygene=22&breed=1&element=4&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=105&tertgene=10&winggene=13&wings=105&auth=75de3e94251c3983398c407eca92b1a61e1deac5&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] [center][size=2]@buffalopigpie, you seem to be on the general pinglist, which means you should be getting pings every time a prompt goes live! Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
{Breed Lore} What are some ways that monotone-speaking Fae choose to communicate their tone or intentions?
Suggested by @Tox

The Submitter wrote:
Can Fae choose to speak with emotional inflection if desired?

These are definitely interesting questions! :D To expand upon them: how do you guys headcanon Fae communication with each other? It's strongly implied that they use their "expressive crest" to share tone and intent with other Fae, but in what ways do they do this? Do their crests function similarly to those of animals who communicate using the positions of their ears, or do they work differently? Meanwhile, how might Fae try to adapt their expression to facilitate communication with other dragon breeds? If they can speak with emotional inflection, is it a learned skill?

As always, feel free to go totally wild with your headcanons, theories, and thoughts! If you have any Fae with lore relating to this prompt, feel free to share up to three of them and how they connect! ^^ I can't wait to read everyone's responses!

dragon?age=1&body=31&bodygene=22&breed=1&element=4&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=105&tertgene=10&winggene=13&wings=105&auth=75de3e94251c3983398c407eca92b1a61e1deac5&dummyext=prev.png

@buffalopigpie, you seem to be on the general pinglist, which means you should be getting pings every time a prompt goes live!

Pinglist was here.
I liken how Fae use their crests and body language to a certain culture the name of which I forget oops shown in the Patrick Rothfuss books the Kingkiller Chronicles - in that culture, it's more appropriate to show emotions with a hand than with the face, and they can get VERY detailed depending on specific angle, shape, etc.

Fae can learn to use emotional inflection in their voices, but it's not as natural to them as it is to other breeds. Fae who were raised around other breeds or who have been breed-changed to Fae have usually learned it better. Unless they were raised exclusively among non-Fae or were breed-changed, they will use their crests as well.

A while back, I thought up an idea that Skydancers use emotional changes to quickly signal each other about motion, etc. when flying in a massive flock. With Skydancers that has very limited uses... but when Fae found out about it, they picked it up. Since Fae can consciously place their fins better than anyone can consciously change emotions, they can use this code more easily than Skydancers can, and have expanded upon it greatly. Not every Fae knows/uses this code, but it has spread pretty far and is used, as with Skydancers, for fast communication of concepts or commands.
I liken how Fae use their crests and body language to a certain culture the name of which I forget oops shown in the Patrick Rothfuss books the Kingkiller Chronicles - in that culture, it's more appropriate to show emotions with a hand than with the face, and they can get VERY detailed depending on specific angle, shape, etc.

Fae can learn to use emotional inflection in their voices, but it's not as natural to them as it is to other breeds. Fae who were raised around other breeds or who have been breed-changed to Fae have usually learned it better. Unless they were raised exclusively among non-Fae or were breed-changed, they will use their crests as well.

A while back, I thought up an idea that Skydancers use emotional changes to quickly signal each other about motion, etc. when flying in a massive flock. With Skydancers that has very limited uses... but when Fae found out about it, they picked it up. Since Fae can consciously place their fins better than anyone can consciously change emotions, they can use this code more easily than Skydancers can, and have expanded upon it greatly. Not every Fae knows/uses this code, but it has spread pretty far and is used, as with Skydancers, for fast communication of concepts or commands.
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
Head crest movements are unique by flight except for basic/general emotion or intent that reaches across all Fae, even breed changed since it's tied deeply to instinct. I would take it like signal flags on ships or Italian hand gestures with the movements since they're expressive which would point to them being very versatile and mobile.

....Honestly I don't think anyone has actually asked but which part of the fins are we talkign about? The two big ones? The two smaller ones by their ears? All four? @Dreamnorn

Faes can learn facial expressions when living in clans with mixed breeds. Vocal tones are harder to figure, either their vocal cords can't inflect at all or they can learn vocal expression. If it's the former then most will augment with literally saying what emotion their feeling if they haven't learned facial expressions. Even if it's the later they might still do that if they're from a Fae dominate clan and haven't picked it up yet. Faes are Vulcans, you can't convince me otherwise. At least one of their fins can the equivalent of a raised eyebrow.
Head crest movements are unique by flight except for basic/general emotion or intent that reaches across all Fae, even breed changed since it's tied deeply to instinct. I would take it like signal flags on ships or Italian hand gestures with the movements since they're expressive which would point to them being very versatile and mobile.

....Honestly I don't think anyone has actually asked but which part of the fins are we talkign about? The two big ones? The two smaller ones by their ears? All four? @Dreamnorn

Faes can learn facial expressions when living in clans with mixed breeds. Vocal tones are harder to figure, either their vocal cords can't inflect at all or they can learn vocal expression. If it's the former then most will augment with literally saying what emotion their feeling if they haven't learned facial expressions. Even if it's the later they might still do that if they're from a Fae dominate clan and haven't picked it up yet. Faes are Vulcans, you can't convince me otherwise. At least one of their fins can the equivalent of a raised eyebrow.
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
huh strange I wasnt receiving them in the past..

But anyways I feel like they use their frills kinda like how a cockatoo does when they're expressing themselves where they flare and unflare their crests and feathers.I would feel like it would be very helpful when in arguments in attempts to intimidate others.
huh strange I wasnt receiving them in the past..

But anyways I feel like they use their frills kinda like how a cockatoo does when they're expressing themselves where they flare and unflare their crests and feathers.I would feel like it would be very helpful when in arguments in attempts to intimidate others.
UZVTEBc.png
Would a dragon ever fall in love with a beastclan member or a more feral dragon like a Fiuran?
Would a dragon ever fall in love with a beastclan member or a more feral dragon like a Fiuran?
RWw9m2h.png Pixel-lv-1.png
Since we do a lot of our own communication through gestures and facial expressions, like most of it, (Which is why some people feel uncomfortable making a telephone call with some strangers, because they can't see their gestures and facial expressions), I would say so do faes.

Like most of their communication happens through gestures and facial expressions, especially if they try to convey feelings, emotions, beliefs that can't really be expressed through logical thought and reasoning alone.
I would even go so far that their mother language is more the gestures and facial expressions rather than the speech itself and another breed who learned and understands it all, can see easily when a fae tries to lie.

Though lorewise it is a bit hard to write, since we do our non-verbal communication mostly unconscious and to then translate it to a dragon face and body is something else entirely. It might help to make and extra document for fae gestures if one is so dedicated, but I'm not XD
Since we do a lot of our own communication through gestures and facial expressions, like most of it, (Which is why some people feel uncomfortable making a telephone call with some strangers, because they can't see their gestures and facial expressions), I would say so do faes.

Like most of their communication happens through gestures and facial expressions, especially if they try to convey feelings, emotions, beliefs that can't really be expressed through logical thought and reasoning alone.
I would even go so far that their mother language is more the gestures and facial expressions rather than the speech itself and another breed who learned and understands it all, can see easily when a fae tries to lie.

Though lorewise it is a bit hard to write, since we do our non-verbal communication mostly unconscious and to then translate it to a dragon face and body is something else entirely. It might help to make and extra document for fae gestures if one is so dedicated, but I'm not XD
ukDKhF5.png
I've had a different interpretation to Lunakitty (maybe I've already twisted my interpretation to make it easier to write fae interactions!). I assumed the crest movements would be combined with speech, not a totally non-verbal language. That, to me, explains why they speak in monotone, because I assumed if they learnt the dragons' 'common tongue', not already spoke a version of it, they would know how tone and inflection worked. Then again, I never considered the possibility of vocal-cord limitations preventing them from speaking in a non-monotone way, or really thought about the idea of them being a sign language of some kind.

I'd like to think that different groups have dialects or even different languages. That could suggest the existence of a 'simplified' dialect that uses movements similar to the base facial expressions/non-verbal cues of other dragons, like flattened crests for fear (mimicking pinned-back ears) or some kind of scrunched-fins to model the scrunched forehead of a frown. Since the in-game distribution of breeds in our lairs is much more mixed-in than the encyclopedia entries suggest, it would make sense that their language would evolve to ease communication difficulties.
I've had a different interpretation to Lunakitty (maybe I've already twisted my interpretation to make it easier to write fae interactions!). I assumed the crest movements would be combined with speech, not a totally non-verbal language. That, to me, explains why they speak in monotone, because I assumed if they learnt the dragons' 'common tongue', not already spoke a version of it, they would know how tone and inflection worked. Then again, I never considered the possibility of vocal-cord limitations preventing them from speaking in a non-monotone way, or really thought about the idea of them being a sign language of some kind.

I'd like to think that different groups have dialects or even different languages. That could suggest the existence of a 'simplified' dialect that uses movements similar to the base facial expressions/non-verbal cues of other dragons, like flattened crests for fear (mimicking pinned-back ears) or some kind of scrunched-fins to model the scrunched forehead of a frown. Since the in-game distribution of breeds in our lairs is much more mixed-in than the encyclopedia entries suggest, it would make sense that their language would evolve to ease communication difficulties.
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40611544] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/406116/40611544_350.png[/img] [/url] Being the ringmaster of a circus, Dynamo realized that her Fae-speech wouldn’t be good for the crowds, so she studied Spirals for a long time and was eventually able to mimic their hyperactive nature and speech patterns. She tends to reserve her ringmaster voice for the ring as to avoid scaring any other Faes in regular conversation.

40611544_350.png

Being the ringmaster of a circus, Dynamo realized that her Fae-speech wouldn’t be good for the crowds, so she studied Spirals for a long time and was eventually able to mimic their hyperactive nature and speech patterns. She tends to reserve her ringmaster voice for the ring as to avoid scaring any other Faes in regular conversation.
Why is a mouse when it spins? The higher the fewer!
@Svecounia72 Ha, that's cool!
@Svecounia72 Ha, that's cool!
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
I think since Faes express themselves with their crests, it may be hard for them to actually hear things like tone and inflection in other dragons’ words, simply because their ears aren’t trained to pick that stuff up. A Fae that’s been raised around other dragons probably wouldn’t have this issue at all, and if another Fae wasn’t around to teach them, they may actually have difficulty understanding the crest expressions of fellow Faes (much like how an adopted person who was raised in a different culture would be unfamiliar with their birth culture’s traditions if no one was around to teach them about it).

Faes who were raised exclusively around other Faes may never pick up on things like tone and inflection, or may have extreme difficulty learning to do it well. Most may be able to learn a few simple expressions and tones, like smiles for happiness and raised voices for anger. However, more subtle things like sarcasm would fly right over their heads, and could cause some serious miscommunications between species. This could also lead to them getting more easily taken advantage of, because less scrupulous dragons wouldn’t have to work as hard at feigning honesty. On the other hand, Faes probably make good con artists because non-Faes can’t read them at all.

I can imagine more and more Fae clans sending their offspring off to study with other dragons, so that way they can better communicate with other dragon breeds. The other dragons probably also do this, so that their own offspring will be able to interact with Fae clans. I also think other dragons may have developed a sort-of sign language when communicating with Faes, to signal their tone and intent while they’re speaking.
I think since Faes express themselves with their crests, it may be hard for them to actually hear things like tone and inflection in other dragons’ words, simply because their ears aren’t trained to pick that stuff up. A Fae that’s been raised around other dragons probably wouldn’t have this issue at all, and if another Fae wasn’t around to teach them, they may actually have difficulty understanding the crest expressions of fellow Faes (much like how an adopted person who was raised in a different culture would be unfamiliar with their birth culture’s traditions if no one was around to teach them about it).

Faes who were raised exclusively around other Faes may never pick up on things like tone and inflection, or may have extreme difficulty learning to do it well. Most may be able to learn a few simple expressions and tones, like smiles for happiness and raised voices for anger. However, more subtle things like sarcasm would fly right over their heads, and could cause some serious miscommunications between species. This could also lead to them getting more easily taken advantage of, because less scrupulous dragons wouldn’t have to work as hard at feigning honesty. On the other hand, Faes probably make good con artists because non-Faes can’t read them at all.

I can imagine more and more Fae clans sending their offspring off to study with other dragons, so that way they can better communicate with other dragon breeds. The other dragons probably also do this, so that their own offspring will be able to interact with Fae clans. I also think other dragons may have developed a sort-of sign language when communicating with Faes, to signal their tone and intent while they’re speaking.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png
1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47