Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Toggle to exclude rare eyes in breeding
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13
Quite frankly, I don't understand why you'd no support this?

I don't have any eye phobias, but also the proposed feature is a toggle. So it literally doesn't affect me if this feature is added. I don't see how "letting people intentionally reduce their chances of getting valuable eye types, so that they can more comfortably enjoy the site without getting an unpleasant surprise during breeding"... hurts anyone. It's a net benefit for the site's users, imo.

Also, like people have pointed out... "just go get therapy" isn't helpful when therapy is expensive and a lot of people on this site are minors. Maybe if we lived in a society where therapy was more accessible.

Full support. This feature will not affect me, and I want the people who it would affect to have a more enjoyable time playing Flight Rising.
Quite frankly, I don't understand why you'd no support this?

I don't have any eye phobias, but also the proposed feature is a toggle. So it literally doesn't affect me if this feature is added. I don't see how "letting people intentionally reduce their chances of getting valuable eye types, so that they can more comfortably enjoy the site without getting an unpleasant surprise during breeding"... hurts anyone. It's a net benefit for the site's users, imo.

Also, like people have pointed out... "just go get therapy" isn't helpful when therapy is expensive and a lot of people on this site are minors. Maybe if we lived in a society where therapy was more accessible.

Full support. This feature will not affect me, and I want the people who it would affect to have a more enjoyable time playing Flight Rising.
> White Sclera Eye Type
> Let Level 25 Dragons Equip Two Energy Stones
> Area-of-Effect Spell for Mages
> Black Blood variants of Scratch, Shred, and Eliminate
> NPC Abilities (Pollen!Meditate and Bite!Scratch) for Dragons
> Elemental Curses (guaranteed debuff, no damage) for Coli
> Add The Unused Upgrades for Scratch and Meditate
[quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-02-23 23:38:03" ] [quote name="Lykos" date="2021-02-23 23:09:36" ] Edit: Oh and to note, to prevent crashing of special eye markets I think it should be an all or nothing thing. That said: you either turn off ALL special eyes or you get all of them. Feel free to give me another compromise, though I do think Jemadar's suggestion earlier in the thread could also work (though it might be more complex?). I prefer Jemadar's suggestion but options and ideas for staff. They can decide how/if it is implemented. [/quote] Yeah I think Jemadar's suggestion re: making it Common as to not increase Primals if you shut off Goat or Faceted or Multigaze is a good one. However, I'm also willing to shut off all special eyes on my end if I never see Goat hatch again. As far as more complex: we already have a certain "intelligence" in place with breeding, where two modern breed parents of the same breed (example: Guardian) will only produce a 4-egg nest at maximum, never a 5-egg. Two entirely-blue-range dergs will never produce an orange one. I imagine that if someone has the "no special eyes" toggle in place the string generator that produces within a certain range of parameters with a hatch, will know to shut off special eyes. I'm not a game developer but it seems like something within the realm of possibility for the devs. [/quote] I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it would probably be awhile before we see anything like that. Also to anyone saying "get therapy": Aside from costs, this is effectively saying that we shouldn't have accessibility for any disability. Imagine if there were no handicap ramps for people in wheelchairs or, even, no wheelchairs at all. How is that fair? Is this real life? No, but that makes it even more doable to change. I am NOT saying we should cater to every phobia and all that either, but this is different in one very key aspect: Older users didn't sign up for these "special" eye types. One could argue we didn't sign up for new genes or breeds. I'd argue yes you definitely did. We knew we would get new genes and breeds over time, but we did not know we would be forced into a point where the eyes of our dragons could vary drastically in more than just colour. I love the new eye types and, while I think the system they added them in through is flawed, I still agree I didn't sign up for that. That shouldn't be ignored. My point is this suggestion isn't just for phobias. It's effectively an opt-in/out of a system many people currently hate and will hate until the site fixes it. There will be people that will also hate it forever, and that's perfectly valid. They should have an option to opt out of a system out of their personal control in a [u]breeding[/u] game.
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-02-23 23:38:03:
Lykos wrote on 2021-02-23 23:09:36:

Edit:
Oh and to note, to prevent crashing of special eye markets I think it should be an all or nothing thing. That said: you either turn off ALL special eyes or you get all of them. Feel free to give me another compromise, though I do think Jemadar's suggestion earlier in the thread could also work (though it might be more complex?). I prefer Jemadar's suggestion but options and ideas for staff. They can decide how/if it is implemented.

Yeah I think Jemadar's suggestion re: making it Common as to not increase Primals if you shut off Goat or Faceted or Multigaze is a good one. However, I'm also willing to shut off all special eyes on my end if I never see Goat hatch again.

As far as more complex: we already have a certain "intelligence" in place with breeding, where two modern breed parents of the same breed (example: Guardian) will only produce a 4-egg nest at maximum, never a 5-egg. Two entirely-blue-range dergs will never produce an orange one. I imagine that if someone has the "no special eyes" toggle in place the string generator that produces within a certain range of parameters with a hatch, will know to shut off special eyes. I'm not a game developer but it seems like something within the realm of possibility for the devs.

I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it would probably be awhile before we see anything like that.

Also to anyone saying "get therapy":
Aside from costs, this is effectively saying that we shouldn't have accessibility for any disability. Imagine if there were no handicap ramps for people in wheelchairs or, even, no wheelchairs at all. How is that fair? Is this real life? No, but that makes it even more doable to change. I am NOT saying we should cater to every phobia and all that either, but this is different in one very key aspect:

Older users didn't sign up for these "special" eye types. One could argue we didn't sign up for new genes or breeds. I'd argue yes you definitely did. We knew we would get new genes and breeds over time, but we did not know we would be forced into a point where the eyes of our dragons could vary drastically in more than just colour. I love the new eye types and, while I think the system they added them in through is flawed, I still agree I didn't sign up for that. That shouldn't be ignored.

My point is this suggestion isn't just for phobias. It's effectively an opt-in/out of a system many people currently hate and will hate until the site fixes it. There will be people that will also hate it forever, and that's perfectly valid. They should have an option to opt out of a system out of their personal control in a breeding game.
[quote name="Lykos" date="2021-02-24 08:45:18" ] [quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-02-23 23:38:03" ] [quote name="Lykos" date="2021-02-23 23:09:36" ] Edit: Oh and to note, to prevent crashing of special eye markets I think it should be an all or nothing thing. That said: you either turn off ALL special eyes or you get all of them. Feel free to give me another compromise, though I do think Jemadar's suggestion earlier in the thread could also work (though it might be more complex?). I prefer Jemadar's suggestion but options and ideas for staff. They can decide how/if it is implemented. [/quote] Yeah I think Jemadar's suggestion re: making it Common as to not increase Primals if you shut off Goat or Faceted or Multigaze is a good one. However, I'm also willing to shut off all special eyes on my end if I never see Goat hatch again. As far as more complex: we already have a certain "intelligence" in place with breeding, where two modern breed parents of the same breed (example: Guardian) will only produce a 4-egg nest at maximum, never a 5-egg. Two entirely-blue-range dergs will never produce an orange one. I imagine that if someone has the "no special eyes" toggle in place the string generator that produces within a certain range of parameters with a hatch, will know to shut off special eyes. I'm not a game developer but it seems like something within the realm of possibility for the devs. [/quote] I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it would probably be awhile before we see anything like that. Also to anyone saying "get therapy": Aside from costs, this is effectively saying that we shouldn't have accessibility for any disability. Imagine if there were no handicap ramps for people in wheelchairs or, even, no wheelchairs at all. How is that fair? Is this real life? No, but that makes it even more doable to change. I am NOT saying we should cater to every phobia and all that either, but this is different in one very key aspect: Older users didn't sign up for these "special" eye types. One could argue we didn't sign up for new genes or breeds. I'd argue yes you definitely did. We knew we would get new genes and breeds over time, but we did not know we would be forced into a point where the eyes of our dragons could vary drastically in more than just colour. I love the new eye types and, while I think the system they added them in through is flawed, I still agree I didn't sign up for that. That shouldn't be ignored. My point is this suggestion isn't just for phobias. It's effectively an opt-in/out of a system many people currently hate and will hate until the site fixes it. There will be people that will also hate it forever, and that's perfectly valid. They should have an option to opt out of a system out of their personal control in a [u]breeding[/u] game. [/quote] I would also like to point out that therapy isn't a 'cure all'. Just because someone goes to therapy doesn't mean that they are suddenly 'okay' and want to see the things that trigger their issues. I also want to point out a key difference between genes/breeds. They are optional. If you have an aversion to clown, you can filter out dragons on the AH with clown, and never have it in your lair. If the next ancient has 8 legs and multiple eyes, I can just not have that ancient in my lair and not buy any dragons that are that ancient. They are not going to enter my lair without my permission. Eyes, on the other hand, if I participate in a core mechanic of the site, breeding, *will* enter my lair without my permission. I can't prevent it. Except by not breeding. Which is the exact opposite of what I felt the eye update was meant to encourage. It was meant to encourage breeding, to the point where it pretty much excluded millions of dragons, existing and future, from a significant portion of the update. As for this potentially 'going down the slope to other areas', well, why not. It is doable. Yes, it would take time to implement, but honestly I know other sites have implemented features like this. It doesn't impact users who don't use it, it only impacts users who want to use it. Do I expect it tomorrow? No. I have the feeling an update like this would probably come with the finishing of the site recode. Maybe even after. But I would like both this update and further updates to allow people to be comfortable browsing the site.
Lykos wrote on 2021-02-24 08:45:18:
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-02-23 23:38:03:
Lykos wrote on 2021-02-23 23:09:36:

Edit:
Oh and to note, to prevent crashing of special eye markets I think it should be an all or nothing thing. That said: you either turn off ALL special eyes or you get all of them. Feel free to give me another compromise, though I do think Jemadar's suggestion earlier in the thread could also work (though it might be more complex?). I prefer Jemadar's suggestion but options and ideas for staff. They can decide how/if it is implemented.

Yeah I think Jemadar's suggestion re: making it Common as to not increase Primals if you shut off Goat or Faceted or Multigaze is a good one. However, I'm also willing to shut off all special eyes on my end if I never see Goat hatch again.

As far as more complex: we already have a certain "intelligence" in place with breeding, where two modern breed parents of the same breed (example: Guardian) will only produce a 4-egg nest at maximum, never a 5-egg. Two entirely-blue-range dergs will never produce an orange one. I imagine that if someone has the "no special eyes" toggle in place the string generator that produces within a certain range of parameters with a hatch, will know to shut off special eyes. I'm not a game developer but it seems like something within the realm of possibility for the devs.

I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it would probably be awhile before we see anything like that.

Also to anyone saying "get therapy":
Aside from costs, this is effectively saying that we shouldn't have accessibility for any disability. Imagine if there were no handicap ramps for people in wheelchairs or, even, no wheelchairs at all. How is that fair? Is this real life? No, but that makes it even more doable to change. I am NOT saying we should cater to every phobia and all that either, but this is different in one very key aspect:

Older users didn't sign up for these "special" eye types. One could argue we didn't sign up for new genes or breeds. I'd argue yes you definitely did. We knew we would get new genes and breeds over time, but we did not know we would be forced into a point where the eyes of our dragons could vary drastically in more than just colour. I love the new eye types and, while I think the system they added them in through is flawed, I still agree I didn't sign up for that. That shouldn't be ignored.

My point is this suggestion isn't just for phobias. It's effectively an opt-in/out of a system many people currently hate and will hate until the site fixes it. There will be people that will also hate it forever, and that's perfectly valid. They should have an option to opt out of a system out of their personal control in a breeding game.
I would also like to point out that therapy isn't a 'cure all'. Just because someone goes to therapy doesn't mean that they are suddenly 'okay' and want to see the things that trigger their issues.

I also want to point out a key difference between genes/breeds. They are optional. If you have an aversion to clown, you can filter out dragons on the AH with clown, and never have it in your lair. If the next ancient has 8 legs and multiple eyes, I can just not have that ancient in my lair and not buy any dragons that are that ancient. They are not going to enter my lair without my permission.

Eyes, on the other hand, if I participate in a core mechanic of the site, breeding, *will* enter my lair without my permission. I can't prevent it. Except by not breeding. Which is the exact opposite of what I felt the eye update was meant to encourage. It was meant to encourage breeding, to the point where it pretty much excluded millions of dragons, existing and future, from a significant portion of the update.

As for this potentially 'going down the slope to other areas', well, why not. It is doable. Yes, it would take time to implement, but honestly I know other sites have implemented features like this. It doesn't impact users who don't use it, it only impacts users who want to use it. Do I expect it tomorrow? No. I have the feeling an update like this would probably come with the finishing of the site recode. Maybe even after. But I would like both this update and further updates to allow people to be comfortable browsing the site.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2021-02-24 03:14:57" ] This is why I wish FR allowed for scripts to aid with things like this but alas [/quote] This sounds like the ideal option to me, since this would be a blanket solution to both this specific problem and other similar problems. That said, I know nothing about coding, and I don't know if this would be easy to implement or if it would require some big restructuring of the site.
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2021-02-24 03:14:57:
This is why I wish FR allowed for scripts to aid with things like this but alas
This sounds like the ideal option to me, since this would be a blanket solution to both this specific problem and other similar problems. That said, I know nothing about coding, and I don't know if this would be easy to implement or if it would require some big restructuring of the site.
[quote name="panzerhaus" date="2021-02-24 09:29:40" ] [quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2021-02-24 03:14:57" ] This is why I wish FR allowed for scripts to aid with things like this but alas [/quote] This sounds like the ideal option to me, since this would be a blanket solution to both this specific problem and other similar problems. That said, I know nothing about coding, and I don't know if this would be easy to implement or if it would require some big restructuring of the site. [/quote] One issue with scripts is that, like adblock, I don't think they can be used by everyone. (I don't have much experience with them). So while allowing scripts woudl be helpful, it wouldn't be a true solution to everyone. Because, unless I am wrong, not everyone could use them.
panzerhaus wrote on 2021-02-24 09:29:40:
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2021-02-24 03:14:57:
This is why I wish FR allowed for scripts to aid with things like this but alas
This sounds like the ideal option to me, since this would be a blanket solution to both this specific problem and other similar problems. That said, I know nothing about coding, and I don't know if this would be easy to implement or if it would require some big restructuring of the site.
One issue with scripts is that, like adblock, I don't think they can be used by everyone. (I don't have much experience with them).

So while allowing scripts woudl be helpful, it wouldn't be a true solution to everyone. Because, unless I am wrong, not everyone could use them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Full support! As someone who is scared by things others might find 'normal' or not gross/scary, and even though I actually find the plague/shadow primals to be cool, it would be nice to have an option for those who don't like them. It would be nice for fodder breeders, too, because then you wouldn't have a random primal on a not-so good looking dragon. Maybe it should be toggleable by nest? You can have, say, all nests toggled off for special eyes, or only nests 2 and 5 for example.
Full support! As someone who is scared by things others might find 'normal' or not gross/scary, and even though I actually find the plague/shadow primals to be cool, it would be nice to have an option for those who don't like them. It would be nice for fodder breeders, too, because then you wouldn't have a random primal on a not-so good looking dragon. Maybe it should be toggleable by nest? You can have, say, all nests toggled off for special eyes, or only nests 2 and 5 for example.
2Q5YVhN.png vslbbes.gif
[quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-02-24 06:13:15" ] If a user is triggered that badly by cartoon eyes that they cant bear to look at them for the few seconds it takes to exalt or set up in the ah, they should seek mental help. No support, dev time should be used to add features not take away. [/quote] Can't pick up what I was about to say without first echoing all the numerous excellent responses before mine pointing out that a) therapy and/or medication are expensive, inaccessible, and/or majorly stigmatized in some places; b) users on this site may not be legally old enough to make their own medical decisions if they have unsympathetic families; c) "mental help" is not an instant-fix button; and d) empathy is free. But also: this suggestion was made by a user who said he [i]was[/i] instantly exalting all of his dragons that hatched with certain natural eye types and isn't satisfied with that. Nor should he--or anyone else--have to be! There aren't any eye types on this site that I'm viscerally uncomfortable with, but let's say there were. I have a breeding project for an Imperial with a very weird color scheme that I've been working on for [i]six years[/i]. I can't shortcut it with a breed-change scroll, because Imperial. It took me three years after I found the first dragon to find one mate with a close-ish range. Every 35 days starting in April 2018, I have popped that breeding pair on a nest and hoped that this clutch is gonna be the one; they've nested over 30 times already. You say people who cannot deal with looking at certain natural eye types should just exalt or give away(/sell incredibly cheap) the dragon in question. What if my thistle/soil/platinum imp female finally hatched--after, again, over thirty clutches on Wildclaw cooldown time--with an eye type I couldn't handle? (Granted, in this scenario I wouldn't necessarily notice.) Just yeet her off to Glittermom immediately? Cool. Or, if you don't care about breeding projects, what if someone's hatching eggs and hatches a triple or a matchy double with an eye type they can't deal with? Maybe the flight even matches the rest of the colors, but it's Multigaze or Goat or Plague Primal or whatever that particular user would have toggled off in their account settings if there were a toggle. You think they should just instantly exalt that dragon? [size=1]edited because I forgot how to count[/size]
Crowbar wrote on 2021-02-24 06:13:15:
If a user is triggered that badly by cartoon eyes that they cant bear to look at them for the few seconds it takes to exalt or set up in the ah, they should seek mental help. No support, dev time should be used to add features not take away.
Can't pick up what I was about to say without first echoing all the numerous excellent responses before mine pointing out that a) therapy and/or medication are expensive, inaccessible, and/or majorly stigmatized in some places; b) users on this site may not be legally old enough to make their own medical decisions if they have unsympathetic families; c) "mental help" is not an instant-fix button; and d) empathy is free.

But also: this suggestion was made by a user who said he was instantly exalting all of his dragons that hatched with certain natural eye types and isn't satisfied with that. Nor should he--or anyone else--have to be!

There aren't any eye types on this site that I'm viscerally uncomfortable with, but let's say there were. I have a breeding project for an Imperial with a very weird color scheme that I've been working on for six years. I can't shortcut it with a breed-change scroll, because Imperial. It took me three years after I found the first dragon to find one mate with a close-ish range. Every 35 days starting in April 2018, I have popped that breeding pair on a nest and hoped that this clutch is gonna be the one; they've nested over 30 times already.

You say people who cannot deal with looking at certain natural eye types should just exalt or give away(/sell incredibly cheap) the dragon in question. What if my thistle/soil/platinum imp female finally hatched--after, again, over thirty clutches on Wildclaw cooldown time--with an eye type I couldn't handle? (Granted, in this scenario I wouldn't necessarily notice.) Just yeet her off to Glittermom immediately? Cool.

Or, if you don't care about breeding projects, what if someone's hatching eggs and hatches a triple or a matchy double with an eye type they can't deal with? Maybe the flight even matches the rest of the colors, but it's Multigaze or Goat or Plague Primal or whatever that particular user would have toggled off in their account settings if there were a toggle. You think they should just instantly exalt that dragon?

edited because I forgot how to count
re: everyone complaining about lore and/or the eye ratio- we. have a vial of tempered sight. that already exists. the ratio is never gonna be perfectly representative if all you use is dragon search, and you know what? that's okay. we already know the ratios, and I maintain the hope that staff has finally learned not to add any more natural eyes. As to lore, well, how does a dragon being born with a ton of eyes and then reverting to a standard two make lore sense but eyes reverting to common in the egg doesn't? You can just think of it as a blessing of the deity, they understand that the eyes make a clan uncomfortable so they don't force that upon them. or maybe you can't because a bunch of y'all can't conceive of respecting peoples mental health but regardless

As for reverting all eyes in a nest to common regardless of what eyes a player wants to avoid, it's better than nothing but still seems unnecessarily punitive when you could easily just, not
re: everyone complaining about lore and/or the eye ratio- we. have a vial of tempered sight. that already exists. the ratio is never gonna be perfectly representative if all you use is dragon search, and you know what? that's okay. we already know the ratios, and I maintain the hope that staff has finally learned not to add any more natural eyes. As to lore, well, how does a dragon being born with a ton of eyes and then reverting to a standard two make lore sense but eyes reverting to common in the egg doesn't? You can just think of it as a blessing of the deity, they understand that the eyes make a clan uncomfortable so they don't force that upon them. or maybe you can't because a bunch of y'all can't conceive of respecting peoples mental health but regardless

As for reverting all eyes in a nest to common regardless of what eyes a player wants to avoid, it's better than nothing but still seems unnecessarily punitive when you could easily just, not
wq9PoXA.png
Instead of making it so your pair can't produce offspring with special eyes, I'd be more in favor of supporting a viewer side toggle for special eyes. For instance 'show multigaze' can be toggled off so dragons with multigaze just appear with common eyes. However it will probably be a burden on servers to create different images of dragons with and without their eye types. Maybe instead we could hide the dragon with a toggle. All dragons with special eyes could be toggled to warning or no show mode and instead of seeing a dragon with special eyes, you would see a text box that says 'this dragon has multigaze/primal/etc. show dragon? And by clicking show dragon you can view the dragon if you so desire.

I did not read any responses past the first page so sorry if this was already suggested.

Edit: I don't know honestly, I'm conflicted. I have a needle phobia so I kind of understand where this is coming from. I've always had a problem with movies using overly gratuitous close up vein+needle shots, but I'm far from the point where I'm going to seek legislation to prevent the possibility that I may come into close contact with needle exposure in the future. My phobia is on me, not on others, to work with.
Instead of making it so your pair can't produce offspring with special eyes, I'd be more in favor of supporting a viewer side toggle for special eyes. For instance 'show multigaze' can be toggled off so dragons with multigaze just appear with common eyes. However it will probably be a burden on servers to create different images of dragons with and without their eye types. Maybe instead we could hide the dragon with a toggle. All dragons with special eyes could be toggled to warning or no show mode and instead of seeing a dragon with special eyes, you would see a text box that says 'this dragon has multigaze/primal/etc. show dragon? And by clicking show dragon you can view the dragon if you so desire.

I did not read any responses past the first page so sorry if this was already suggested.

Edit: I don't know honestly, I'm conflicted. I have a needle phobia so I kind of understand where this is coming from. I've always had a problem with movies using overly gratuitous close up vein+needle shots, but I'm far from the point where I'm going to seek legislation to prevent the possibility that I may come into close contact with needle exposure in the future. My phobia is on me, not on others, to work with.
Pix-fam.png
I-C-adopt.png

Pixel Familiars

Adopt Shop
_________________________________ Hatchery

Dress dragons. Win Treasure.
Nest.png
Luminax-mini.png
I've either seen or posited the suggestion that eye types might be filterable, so that either the filtered dragon either doesn't show up at all, or shows up with Common eyes. Like if we had an option to show all eyes as Common, or only the selected typws (multigaze, certain Primals, etc)

This way, people who don't like these eye types could still breed them and sell them to people who DO like them, or they could keep the dragon themselves, maybe use a vial of commonsight on it without having to look at it first, or just keep it toggled to Filtered Out
I've either seen or posited the suggestion that eye types might be filterable, so that either the filtered dragon either doesn't show up at all, or shows up with Common eyes. Like if we had an option to show all eyes as Common, or only the selected typws (multigaze, certain Primals, etc)

This way, people who don't like these eye types could still breed them and sell them to people who DO like them, or they could keep the dragon themselves, maybe use a vial of commonsight on it without having to look at it first, or just keep it toggled to Filtered Out
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13