Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ideas for treasure sinks?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Buying lair expansions... I just dropped over 1mil on one (with dom discount). >.<
Buying lair expansions... I just dropped over 1mil on one (with dom discount). >.<
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
@xTheMadKing

I won't argue the claims that it messed up the treasure and gem ratio, or that it is a large contributor.

However, it is demonstrably much quicker to max out daily treasure earnable at the Fairgrounds with Glimmer and Gloom than with any other Fairgrounds game. Glimmer and Gloom play with the guides is also mechanically simple because every move is explained; all that must be done by a player is click the indicated hexagons.
@xTheMadKing

I won't argue the claims that it messed up the treasure and gem ratio, or that it is a large contributor.

However, it is demonstrably much quicker to max out daily treasure earnable at the Fairgrounds with Glimmer and Gloom than with any other Fairgrounds game. Glimmer and Gloom play with the guides is also mechanically simple because every move is explained; all that must be done by a player is click the indicated hexagons.
Back when I used to play gaiaonline, they were trying to get rid of the inflation problem by having events where the site yeets money into a large pool. Reaching certain tiers yourself unlocks items, and if the pool grows large enough, items are given to everyone (or everyone who participated in any way). This seems like a neat event, given that the prizes were worthwhile enough.

There are also lots of other things that could be done. More treasure eye vials (particularly ones with more visible/drastic changes like primal or multi that cost a lot), the ability to unlock hibernal den slots with treasure, the ability to use money to directly participate in dom (why yeet dragons when you can also throw treasure to the deities?), more treasure ancients/ancient genes, the ability to unlock more nests (maybe with a super expensive option to open or even "rent" a nest in another flight), the ability to unlock more Baldwin cauldrons. The possibilities are endless!

Edit: Also liking the gacha suggestions in this thread, I like gacha games (given that you're gambling with in game currency rather than real money. A gem gacha sounds kinda gross) and it would be really fun to have some cool exclusive items in there!
Back when I used to play gaiaonline, they were trying to get rid of the inflation problem by having events where the site yeets money into a large pool. Reaching certain tiers yourself unlocks items, and if the pool grows large enough, items are given to everyone (or everyone who participated in any way). This seems like a neat event, given that the prizes were worthwhile enough.

There are also lots of other things that could be done. More treasure eye vials (particularly ones with more visible/drastic changes like primal or multi that cost a lot), the ability to unlock hibernal den slots with treasure, the ability to use money to directly participate in dom (why yeet dragons when you can also throw treasure to the deities?), more treasure ancients/ancient genes, the ability to unlock more nests (maybe with a super expensive option to open or even "rent" a nest in another flight), the ability to unlock more Baldwin cauldrons. The possibilities are endless!

Edit: Also liking the gacha suggestions in this thread, I like gacha games (given that you're gambling with in game currency rather than real money. A gem gacha sounds kinda gross) and it would be really fun to have some cool exclusive items in there!
jCVhFoZ.gif
[quote name="butcherbaby" date="2019-12-08 13:41:26" ] Don’t you think we have ENOUGH treasure sinks on here already? An entire treasure marketplace as well as tons of AH treasure sales, lair & nest expansions, Baldwin fees, AH fees, Roundsey, even the dragons themselves (New & old breeds, fodder, eggs) are all treasure sinks. This ENTIRE GAME is one giant treasure sink! It’s far more likely that the borked g:t ratio is due to fewer people buying & selling gems than there used to be and/or a rise in the demand for gems from non-donators. As long as the demand for gems is higher than the supply, the price for them will continue to rise, regardless of whether or not players have an easy source of treasure or not. [/quote]
butcherbaby wrote on 2019-12-08 13:41:26:
Don’t you think we have ENOUGH treasure sinks on here already? An entire treasure marketplace as well as tons of AH treasure sales, lair & nest expansions, Baldwin fees, AH fees, Roundsey, even the dragons themselves (New & old breeds, fodder, eggs) are all treasure sinks. This ENTIRE GAME is one giant treasure sink!

It’s far more likely that the borked g:t ratio is due to fewer people buying & selling gems than there used to be and/or a rise in the demand for gems from non-donators.

As long as the demand for gems is higher than the supply, the price for them will continue to rise, regardless of whether or not players have an easy source of treasure or not.
PJb908Z.png
[quote name="Nyllei" date="2019-12-08 13:07:36" ] Note: Since there's been some confusion, I'll clarify that a treasure sink removes treasure from the site (think buying apparel from the mp) [/quote] Based on my understanding of one of Extra Credits' videos on the matter, the marketplace itself is not a currency sink. As you've said, a currency sink removes currency from a game permanently. Based on the Extra Credits' examples, sinks take money [i]without[/i] giving anything in return. That makes sense because you can buy a Corgi from the marketplace and liquidate it on the auction house for a comparable price. I don't see any money removed from circulation. On the other hand, if you buy a Tincture and use it, well, that money's not coming back. One of the Extra Credits' videos provides other ways to fight hyperinflation in a game. I don't know if that's the same as the g:t ratio, though.
Nyllei wrote on 2019-12-08 13:07:36:
Note: Since there's been some confusion, I'll clarify that a treasure sink removes treasure from the site (think buying apparel from the mp)

Based on my understanding of one of Extra Credits' videos on the matter, the marketplace itself is not a currency sink. As you've said, a currency sink removes currency from a game permanently. Based on the Extra Credits' examples, sinks take money without giving anything in return. That makes sense because you can buy a Corgi from the marketplace and liquidate it on the auction house for a comparable price. I don't see any money removed from circulation. On the other hand, if you buy a Tincture and use it, well, that money's not coming back.

One of the Extra Credits' videos provides other ways to fight hyperinflation in a game. I don't know if that's the same as the g:t ratio, though.
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
@Stormdance
AH sales are not a treasure sink. The AH treasure tax is, yes, but those are two different things, and the tax is small enough to honestly not matter that much, plus it only affects sales that are done with treasure. The bulk of the currency is only transferred to another player, not removed from the game. That is what I was referring to in the first post. I've since clarified that :)

I do agree with your thoughts on RNG based sinks. It's very easy to screw up those, and I'd rather not see them at all.
@Stormdance
AH sales are not a treasure sink. The AH treasure tax is, yes, but those are two different things, and the tax is small enough to honestly not matter that much, plus it only affects sales that are done with treasure. The bulk of the currency is only transferred to another player, not removed from the game. That is what I was referring to in the first post. I've since clarified that :)

I do agree with your thoughts on RNG based sinks. It's very easy to screw up those, and I'd rather not see them at all.
I love pings! Don't be afraid to ping me; I tend to miss a lot of replies, even if they're right after my own post, so please, please ping if you want me to see!
  • FR+0 Time
jRhMriG.png
Yearly taxes that go to your [s]deity[/s] flight. [emoji=spiral tongue size=1]
Yearly taxes that go to your deity flight.
@Nyllei

I agree that the treasure tax isn't big, but it's absolutely better than nothing.

@nuttysaladtree

The way that's described is not actually a workable concept. Why? Simple: if you get nothing back from the treasure sink, then there's no incentive to use it.

A treasure sink is anything that moves currency from you to the system rather than to another player. If you buy a corgi, then turn around and liquidate it on the AH, you have made two transfers of currency: treasure from you to the game system, and treasure to you from another player. The second transfer isn't a treasure sink, but the first one is.

@brandonflowers

As another player said earlier: you can never have too many treasure sinks.

@zhukov

The problem with gacha games is that you introduce a true addictive element. Lootbox mentalities are very unhealthy and not a good thing to introduce onto a petsite that is aimed at teenagers. Raffles are one thing, gachas something very different indeed. You'll notice that even the lootboxes that we have there's a very limited 'chance' element so that people don't go absolutely mad trying to find a single exclusive item?
@Nyllei

I agree that the treasure tax isn't big, but it's absolutely better than nothing.

@nuttysaladtree

The way that's described is not actually a workable concept. Why? Simple: if you get nothing back from the treasure sink, then there's no incentive to use it.

A treasure sink is anything that moves currency from you to the system rather than to another player. If you buy a corgi, then turn around and liquidate it on the AH, you have made two transfers of currency: treasure from you to the game system, and treasure to you from another player. The second transfer isn't a treasure sink, but the first one is.

@brandonflowers

As another player said earlier: you can never have too many treasure sinks.

@zhukov

The problem with gacha games is that you introduce a true addictive element. Lootbox mentalities are very unhealthy and not a good thing to introduce onto a petsite that is aimed at teenagers. Raffles are one thing, gachas something very different indeed. You'll notice that even the lootboxes that we have there's a very limited 'chance' element so that people don't go absolutely mad trying to find a single exclusive item?
mkpoaHZ.png
[quote name="@Undel" date="2019-12-08 19:58:26" ] Yearly taxes that go to your [s]deity[/s] flight. [emoji=spiral tongue size=1] [/quote] You edited this because Tidelord is gone, therefor cannot collect tax money, right? [s]Water flight gets to keep their tax money as a "sorry" for Tidelord vanishing and not coming back[/s]
@Undel wrote on 2019-12-08 19:58:26:
Yearly taxes that go to your deity flight.

You edited this because Tidelord is gone, therefor cannot collect tax money, right?

Water flight gets to keep their tax money as a "sorry" for Tidelord vanishing and not coming back
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
@Stormdance I don't really see gachas being any different from the already existing gambling mechanics. Heck, even eggs are a little like that. You can get something amazing or rare, but it's more likely you'll get something ugly that will become fodder. And if you wanted, you could spend millions of treasure on eggs.

I think a way to make gachas not too problematic would be to make their prizes available on the marketplace. That way if you don't want to buy gachas for any reason, you could always buy the prizes on their own.
@Stormdance I don't really see gachas being any different from the already existing gambling mechanics. Heck, even eggs are a little like that. You can get something amazing or rare, but it's more likely you'll get something ugly that will become fodder. And if you wanted, you could spend millions of treasure on eggs.

I think a way to make gachas not too problematic would be to make their prizes available on the marketplace. That way if you don't want to buy gachas for any reason, you could always buy the prizes on their own.
jCVhFoZ.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8