Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ideas for treasure sinks?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Luck/chance games which require treasure to play with instant results. I feel like this is something that Neopets did exceptionally well.
Luck/chance games which require treasure to play with instant results. I feel like this is something that Neopets did exceptionally well.
LY5.png
[quote name="SwiftIsHere" date="2019-12-08 13:52:03" ] Extra cauldron slots from Baldwin for high prices [drops mic] [/quote] Yes! Baldwin needs at least an ability to use two cauldrons at once [emoji=coatl deadpan size=2] Maybe they max it out at 5 so it's not too OP.
SwiftIsHere wrote on 2019-12-08 13:52:03:
Extra cauldron slots from Baldwin for high prices [drops mic]
Yes! Baldwin needs at least an ability to use two cauldrons at once Maybe they max it out at 5 so it's not too OP.
010220mrcheese.png dark-dragon-egg-pixel.gif 2bf6nnX.png
LCqISMP.png
v2PJF9u.png
Piko

fr+3

YMPbu9R.png
7ntZZGM.png
oK2VVlE.png
Vs2WmBF.png
[quote name="@Yuubi" date="2019-12-08 14:00:33" ] @/LordJeanliness If you look correctly, i dont even used treasure in my posts once? (until the last one) money = treasure for me, looks just like the pennys in my wallet tbh And as said before, we got two kinds of sinks, one which removes money from the player and one which removes money from the game, and i lack a term to seperate both. so ist "money sink" and "true money sink" which is why i said in my very first post, the last line, that i dont know any way to have an additional true money sink added that makes sense. [/quote] Because you're confusing two things that aren't the same, and using the term "sink" wrong when you refer to both with the same word. A sink is something that takes currency OUT of players possession completely and returns it to the game. That's it. You're talking about money changing hands between players as being a sink as well. It's not. Just because you spent money doesn't make it a sink. If you buy something from me for 50kt that money moves from you to me, you can't spend it at that point but I can. It doesn't disappear, it just changes hands. If you buy something from the SITE that money basically ceases to exist. Sinks are needed because playing the game [i]creates [/i] money. Every time you hoardsell something, play a fairgrounds game, exalt a dragon etc, the game gives you treasure that it creates, that money doesn't come from another player. It can't run out if nobody has bought enough from the marketplace to cover the costs of what you're earning. Every piece of treasure that gets added to the game makes all other pieces worth a tiny tiny bit less. Sinks help balance the money coming in to existence with money [i]going out[/i] of circulation to prevent runaway inflation. edit: Apologies for the ping LordJeanliness! I was in a hurry to post before going to do something irl, and forgot to edit the ping out of that quote.
@Yuubi wrote on 2019-12-08 14:00:33:
@/LordJeanliness

If you look correctly, i dont even used treasure in my posts once? (until the last one)
money = treasure for me, looks just like the pennys in my wallet tbh

And as said before, we got two kinds of sinks, one which removes money from the player and one which removes money from the game, and i lack a term to seperate both. so ist "money sink" and "true money sink"

which is why i said in my very first post, the last line, that i dont know any way to have an additional true money sink added that makes sense.

Because you're confusing two things that aren't the same, and using the term "sink" wrong when you refer to both with the same word. A sink is something that takes currency OUT of players possession completely and returns it to the game. That's it.

You're talking about money changing hands between players as being a sink as well. It's not. Just because you spent money doesn't make it a sink. If you buy something from me for 50kt that money moves from you to me, you can't spend it at that point but I can. It doesn't disappear, it just changes hands. If you buy something from the SITE that money basically ceases to exist.
Sinks are needed because playing the game creates money. Every time you hoardsell something, play a fairgrounds game, exalt a dragon etc, the game gives you treasure that it creates, that money doesn't come from another player. It can't run out if nobody has bought enough from the marketplace to cover the costs of what you're earning.
Every piece of treasure that gets added to the game makes all other pieces worth a tiny tiny bit less. Sinks help balance the money coming in to existence with money going out of circulation to prevent runaway inflation.

edit: Apologies for the ping LordJeanliness! I was in a hurry to post before going to do something irl, and forgot to edit the ping out of that quote.
I think anything that players can work around to leverage the account power of another person is an easy answer to sinks. Not that it SHOULD be, but it's an answer. (ie expanding your own lair vs just storing dragons with someone else, getting more nests vs using others' nests, using your Baldwin cauldron vs using 20 others)

So what comes to mind is making more features on the site's end or expanding them. Add more consistent stock to the marketplace (since you'd be paying the MP instead of resellers on AH (at the cost of changing supply and demand)). Add more things similar to Roundsey's raffle, incentivizing something for your treasure. I'd suggest more if it was possible to think outside the box without being criticized for game breaking, but I think FR as it is is pretty rigid, so it's hard to think of new ideas that already fit into its ecosystem of existing features.
I think anything that players can work around to leverage the account power of another person is an easy answer to sinks. Not that it SHOULD be, but it's an answer. (ie expanding your own lair vs just storing dragons with someone else, getting more nests vs using others' nests, using your Baldwin cauldron vs using 20 others)

So what comes to mind is making more features on the site's end or expanding them. Add more consistent stock to the marketplace (since you'd be paying the MP instead of resellers on AH (at the cost of changing supply and demand)). Add more things similar to Roundsey's raffle, incentivizing something for your treasure. I'd suggest more if it was possible to think outside the box without being criticized for game breaking, but I think FR as it is is pretty rigid, so it's hard to think of new ideas that already fit into its ecosystem of existing features.
3u37mIB.png
Something I've seen pop up in suggestions a few times is nest enhancers - varying abilities to influence your hatchlings. Usually it's about changing the element or making an eye type more common, but perhaps there could be varying services and prices for them. Have them be one-use and the rarer ones not guaranteed to work, and you'll have a well-used treasure sink.
Something I've seen pop up in suggestions a few times is nest enhancers - varying abilities to influence your hatchlings. Usually it's about changing the element or making an eye type more common, but perhaps there could be varying services and prices for them. Have them be one-use and the rarer ones not guaranteed to work, and you'll have a well-used treasure sink.
Temporary nest color changes.

I don't know exactly how much money that would suck out of the economy on an ongoing basis, but I'd be willing to bet it's a lot.

I don't know exactly how much money that would suck out of the economy on an ongoing basis, but I'd be willing to bet it's a lot.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
[quote name="ccelestialGlitch" date="2019-12-08 14:21:18" ] [quote name="SwiftIsHere" date="2019-12-08 13:52:03" ] Extra cauldron slots from Baldwin for high prices [drops mic] [/quote] Yes! Baldwin needs at least an ability to use two cauldrons at once [emoji=coatl deadpan size=2] Maybe they max it out at 5 so it's not too OP. [/quote] Actually considering that Baldwin items also need a treasure payment... yeah this is a good idea!
ccelestialGlitch wrote on 2019-12-08 14:21:18:
SwiftIsHere wrote on 2019-12-08 13:52:03:
Extra cauldron slots from Baldwin for high prices [drops mic]
Yes! Baldwin needs at least an ability to use two cauldrons at once Maybe they max it out at 5 so it's not too OP.
Actually considering that Baldwin items also need a treasure payment... yeah this is a good idea!
[quote name="Snek" date="2019-12-08 14:54:10" ] Temporary nest color changes. I don't know exactly how much money that would suck out of the economy on an ongoing basis, but I'd be willing to bet it's a lot. [/quote] This would be a [i]fantastic [/i]sink. I'd happily drop 15-50kt per nest laid for a safe (i.e single player, no risk of dragon loss) alternative to nest rentals. I think MP vials for the "common" level eye tints would make a good sink as well, common vs uncommon vs unusual vs rare adds virtually no extra inherent value to a dragon. Being able to adjust those for a fee, maybe sliding from like 10kt for uncommon, 20kt for unusual, 35kt for rare, would be a continual source of treasure going out. Because you can't target breed for it except by spamming nests over and over. And there's always going to be dragons hatching that would look better with a slightly different tint, so there's always fresh demand for it as a consumable.
Snek wrote on 2019-12-08 14:54:10:

This would be a fantastic sink. I'd happily drop 15-50kt per nest laid for a safe (i.e single player, no risk of dragon loss) alternative to nest rentals.

I think MP vials for the "common" level eye tints would make a good sink as well, common vs uncommon vs unusual vs rare adds virtually no extra inherent value to a dragon. Being able to adjust those for a fee, maybe sliding from like 10kt for uncommon, 20kt for unusual, 35kt for rare, would be a continual source of treasure going out. Because you can't target breed for it except by spamming nests over and over. And there's always going to be dragons hatching that would look better with a slightly different tint, so there's always fresh demand for it as a consumable.
@Yuubi Regardless of "true" treasure sink or not (it really isn't, but others have already covered that), none of that will ever affect the g:t ratio if the treasure is not fully removed from the site itself. Specifically treasure, not touching gems.

@butcherbaby Nope! Wrong! This site has way too many treasure generators to counterbalance the amount of treasure sinks currently. A treasure sink needs to remove the treasure from the game's economy entirely, and some of what you mentioned (the AH sales, specifically) just don't do that. If you'd like an example of what an economy with too few treasure generators per sink actually looks like, go take a look at the earliest threads of Dragons for Sale. Fairgrounds was the only truly viable way to make treasure at that time (coli builds were mostly still being tested) and it shows. There's a big reason why 1g:250t is no longer the ratio, and it's all due to many more treasure generators being added.
@Yuubi Regardless of "true" treasure sink or not (it really isn't, but others have already covered that), none of that will ever affect the g:t ratio if the treasure is not fully removed from the site itself. Specifically treasure, not touching gems.

@butcherbaby Nope! Wrong! This site has way too many treasure generators to counterbalance the amount of treasure sinks currently. A treasure sink needs to remove the treasure from the game's economy entirely, and some of what you mentioned (the AH sales, specifically) just don't do that. If you'd like an example of what an economy with too few treasure generators per sink actually looks like, go take a look at the earliest threads of Dragons for Sale. Fairgrounds was the only truly viable way to make treasure at that time (coli builds were mostly still being tested) and it shows. There's a big reason why 1g:250t is no longer the ratio, and it's all due to many more treasure generators being added.
I love pings! Don't be afraid to ping me; I tend to miss a lot of replies, even if they're right after my own post, so please, please ping if you want me to see!
  • FR+0 Time
jRhMriG.png
Lair expansions were/are probably our best sink.... and I can’t really think of anything like it other than more of them. Maybe a hibden treasure option?

What if... what if there were things on the mp that were consumable but could not be traded once bought? Like maybe a scatterscroll type item that only did one of the three colors. Or special treasure eye types? Maybe make name change scrolls clanbound too so we don’t get those one or two scalpers buying the whole lot and selling them for more on the AH.

Edit: I spent over 10 years on gaiaonline. You can NEVER have too many treasure sinks. Lol
Lair expansions were/are probably our best sink.... and I can’t really think of anything like it other than more of them. Maybe a hibden treasure option?

What if... what if there were things on the mp that were consumable but could not be traded once bought? Like maybe a scatterscroll type item that only did one of the three colors. Or special treasure eye types? Maybe make name change scrolls clanbound too so we don’t get those one or two scalpers buying the whole lot and selling them for more on the AH.

Edit: I spent over 10 years on gaiaonline. You can NEVER have too many treasure sinks. Lol
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8