Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ideas for treasure sinks?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="Stormdance" date="2019-12-08 13:46:37" ] An alternative way to look at it: prevent treasure from entering the economy in the first place. The most effective way would probably be to remove treasure incentives for exalting. Have other, highly attractive incentives: credit at an apparel shop or gene scrolls. But that would be the most effective way to do it. [/quote] Exalting is an essential game mechanic, the treasure incentive is so people will be encouraged to exalt rather than hold on to dragons FOREVER trying to sell them. Remove the treasure incentive and this game would grind to a halt.
Stormdance wrote on 2019-12-08 13:46:37:
An alternative way to look at it: prevent treasure from entering the economy in the first place. The most effective way would probably be to remove treasure incentives for exalting. Have other, highly attractive incentives: credit at an apparel shop or gene scrolls. But that would be the most effective way to do it.

Exalting is an essential game mechanic, the treasure incentive is so people will be encouraged to exalt rather than hold on to dragons FOREVER trying to sell them. Remove the treasure incentive and this game would grind to a halt.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
Maybe... a pirate or treasure hunter dragon on the Trading Post? You pay him a fee of, let's say 15kt as an example, and he comes back after some hours with a chest, either a rusted, an iron or a gilded one. With odds of 70-20-10% perhaps? With a limited number of uses per day to avoid flooding the AH with stuff. And there could be a small chance to drop festival chests during the festivals. Should guarantee people would use it at least a week per month.
Now, I understand the biggest problem with this would be balancing the rewards against the cost, so it stays a treasure sink instead of a new money maker, while being rewarding enough for people to risk paying the fee.
But hey, at least we would get a pirate dragon.
Maybe... a pirate or treasure hunter dragon on the Trading Post? You pay him a fee of, let's say 15kt as an example, and he comes back after some hours with a chest, either a rusted, an iron or a gilded one. With odds of 70-20-10% perhaps? With a limited number of uses per day to avoid flooding the AH with stuff. And there could be a small chance to drop festival chests during the festivals. Should guarantee people would use it at least a week per month.
Now, I understand the biggest problem with this would be balancing the rewards against the cost, so it stays a treasure sink instead of a new money maker, while being rewarding enough for people to risk paying the fee.
But hey, at least we would get a pirate dragon.
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
[quote name="@butcherbaby" date="2019-12-11 12:03:22" ] [quote name="Stormdance" date="2019-12-08 13:46:37" ] An alternative way to look at it: prevent treasure from entering the economy in the first place. The most effective way would probably be to remove treasure incentives for exalting. Have other, highly attractive incentives: credit at an apparel shop or gene scrolls. But that would be the most effective way to do it. [/quote] Exalting is an essential game mechanic, the treasure incentive is so people will be encouraged to exalt rather than hold on to dragons FOREVER trying to sell them. Remove the treasure incentive and this game would grind to a halt. [/quote] That's definitely true. There's a difficult counterbalance between 'exalt dragons to prevent server load' and 'too much treasure', and I'm definitely not recommending the removal of the treasure incentive as much as I'm recommending the addition of a non-treasure-generating dragon removal system.
@butcherbaby wrote on 2019-12-11 12:03:22:
An alternative way to look at it: prevent treasure from entering the economy in the first place. The most effective way would probably be to remove treasure incentives for exalting. Have other, highly attractive incentives: credit at an apparel shop or gene scrolls. But that would be the most effective way to do it.

Exalting is an essential game mechanic, the treasure incentive is so people will be encouraged to exalt rather than hold on to dragons FOREVER trying to sell them. Remove the treasure incentive and this game would grind to a halt.
That's definitely true. There's a difficult counterbalance between 'exalt dragons to prevent server load' and 'too much treasure', and I'm definitely not recommending the removal of the treasure incentive as much as I'm recommending the addition of a non-treasure-generating dragon removal system.
mkpoaHZ.png
[quote name="Kapow" date="2019-12-08 14:04:12" ] [quote name="butcherbaby" date="2019-12-08 13:43:50" ] LOL how would that even be worth it? I sure don’t get 10k worth of food/items on each turn. [/quote] allow me to tell you about [item=dragonfly][item=giant darner] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/auction-house/buy/realm/food?itemname=dragonfly&collapse=1]dragonfly ah link[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/auction-house/buy/realm/fam?itemname=epiptite&collapse=1]The Epiptite Familiars [/url] Theres a lot of things that you can only get from the RNG hellscape of Gathering and no further way to try for them. Not even just wildly throwing your treasure into a black hole. [/quote] One of the reasons that these items are so hard to find is because the gathering mechanism is and has been borked in such a way that when you are maxed out in levels, you are LESS likely to find rare items than when you are at lower levels. This is pretty much the opposite of how leveling up is supposed to work. This means that for people like me who are already maxed out, we could spend far more treasure trying to get these items through gathering than it would cost just to save our dragon cash and buy them from other players. A treasure sink like that would be terrible for other parts of the economy, because people who are spending 10k a pop gathering items are going to be pricing those items MUCH MUCH higher when they sell them, so they can make up some of that treasure they sunk into the void. The FR admins ALREADY don’t want to increase the number of gathering turns, they’ve used that as a reason not to increase the active number of lair slots for several years now. I don’t think they are going to be real big on a mechanism that gives people the ability to buy as many gathering turns as they want.
Kapow wrote on 2019-12-08 14:04:12:
butcherbaby wrote on 2019-12-08 13:43:50:
LOL how would that even be worth it? I sure don’t get 10k worth of food/items on each turn.

allow me to tell you about
Dragonfly Giant Darner
dragonfly ah link
The Epiptite Familiars

Theres a lot of things that you can only get from the RNG hellscape of Gathering and no further way to try for them. Not even just wildly throwing your treasure into a black hole.

One of the reasons that these items are so hard to find is because the gathering mechanism is and has been borked in such a way that when you are maxed out in levels, you are LESS likely to find rare items than when you are at lower levels. This is pretty much the opposite of how leveling up is supposed to work.

This means that for people like me who are already maxed out, we could spend far more treasure trying to get these items through gathering than it would cost just to save our dragon cash and buy them from other players.

A treasure sink like that would be terrible for other parts of the economy, because people who are spending 10k a pop gathering items are going to be pricing those items MUCH MUCH higher when they sell them, so they can make up some of that treasure they sunk into the void.

The FR admins ALREADY don’t want to increase the number of gathering turns, they’ve used that as a reason not to increase the active number of lair slots for several years now. I don’t think they are going to be real big on a mechanism that gives people the ability to buy as many gathering turns as they want.
Dappervolk ID #27689
[quote name="Stormdance" date="2019-12-11 21:59:28" ] [quote name="@butcherbaby" date="2019-12-11 12:03:22" ] [quote name="Stormdance" date="2019-12-08 13:46:37" ] An alternative way to look at it: prevent treasure from entering the economy in the first place. The most effective way would probably be to remove treasure incentives for exalting. Have other, highly attractive incentives: credit at an apparel shop or gene scrolls. But that would be the most effective way to do it. [/quote] Exalting is an essential game mechanic, the treasure incentive is so people will be encouraged to exalt rather than hold on to dragons FOREVER trying to sell them. Remove the treasure incentive and this game would grind to a halt. [/quote] That's definitely true. There's a difficult counterbalance between 'exalt dragons to prevent server load' and 'too much treasure', and I'm definitely not recommending the removal of the treasure incentive as much as I'm recommending the addition of a non-treasure-generating dragon removal system. [/quote] But if people don’t get anything in return for exalting their dragons, they just...won’t. Period. So there would still have to be some kind of reward for doing so, and one that was equally or more desirable than the treasure incentive.
Stormdance wrote on 2019-12-11 21:59:28:
@butcherbaby wrote on 2019-12-11 12:03:22:

That's definitely true. There's a difficult counterbalance between 'exalt dragons to prevent server load' and 'too much treasure', and I'm definitely not recommending the removal of the treasure incentive as much as I'm recommending the addition of a non-treasure-generating dragon removal system.

But if people don’t get anything in return for exalting their dragons, they just...won’t. Period. So there would still have to be some kind of reward for doing so, and one that was equally or more desirable than the treasure incentive.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Lairspace is a good treasure sink. . Add up to 5000 active lairspace and that be a treasure sink right there!
I would also love the oppertunity to buy den slots (non active lairspace ) with treasure
Lairspace is a good treasure sink. . Add up to 5000 active lairspace and that be a treasure sink right there!
I would also love the oppertunity to buy den slots (non active lairspace ) with treasure
NO LONGER ACTIVE.

I LEFT FR AND GIVEN AWAY MY STUFF.
[quote name="Namarie" date="2019-12-12 11:49:13" ] Lairspace is a good treasure sink. . Add up to 5000 active lairspace and that be a treasure sink right there! I would also love the oppertunity to buy den slots (non active lairspace ) with treasure [/quote] THIS! At 1million+ Treasure per 5 slots, this is probably the best treasure sink the game could possibly have.
Namarie wrote on 2019-12-12 11:49:13:
THIS!

At 1million+ Treasure per 5 slots, this is probably the best treasure sink the game could possibly have.

Dappervolk ID #27689
[quote name="butcherbaby" date="2019-12-12 12:54:42" ] [quote name="Namarie" date="2019-12-12 11:49:13" ] Lairspace is a good treasure sink. . Add up to 5000 active lairspace and that be a treasure sink right there! I would also love the oppertunity to buy den slots (non active lairspace ) with treasure [/quote] THIS! At 1million+ Treasure per 5 slots, this is probably the best treasure sink the game could possibly have. [/quote] Yes! Also, they need to make lair slots buyable individually the way den slots are, same price for each 5 slot tier but you can buy them piecemeal. Still the same treasure sink but an easier threshold for players, which encourages more expansion from people who currently have trouble earning/saving up the full million plus price of later expansions.
butcherbaby wrote on 2019-12-12 12:54:42:
Namarie wrote on 2019-12-12 11:49:13:
THIS!

At 1million+ Treasure per 5 slots, this is probably the best treasure sink the game could possibly have.

Yes!
Also, they need to make lair slots buyable individually the way den slots are, same price for each 5 slot tier but you can buy them piecemeal. Still the same treasure sink but an easier threshold for players, which encourages more expansion from people who currently have trouble earning/saving up the full million plus price of later expansions.
[quote name="Gaia" date="2019-12-09 05:32:55" ] Hiya, I went ahead and moved this thread over to the Suggestions forum! I'm seeing a lot of creative ideas and constructive discussion. Loving it <3 [/quote] Whereupon the post rate slows down. O the irony. Poor unloved suggestions forum. (Am I the only one who has more fun here than in FRD?) [quote name="PersimmonBird" date="2019-12-08 15:32:15" ][quote name="Snek" date="2019-12-08 14:54:10" ] Temporary nest color changes.[/quote]This would be a [i]fantastic [/i]sink. I'd happily drop 15-50kt per nest laid for a safe (i.e single player, no risk of dragon loss) alternative to nest rentals. I think MP vials for the "common" level eye tints would make a good sink as well, common vs uncommon vs unusual vs rare adds virtually no extra inherent value to a dragon.[/quote] Always support for both of these. Regarding the eyes, there are also a lot of ideas in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2685458]this thread[/url] about ways to change eyes other than vials - NPC, magic crystal, whatever. Maybe a good way to introduce sinks would be to shake up the paradigm of 'Buy item --> activate item --> thing happens' for future features. Instead, it could be 'Pay treasure directly to NPC/feature/etc --> thing happens'. For example, if [b]no[/b] vials had ever existed, and there was just a reflecting pool where each type had a price (treasure and/or gems) and you could pay that price to change any of your dragons to it. Or if there were never renaming scrolls, just a page where, for a set fee, you could change a dragon's name. Or even Jox boxes, it could've been just pay the price, get randomized loot, no container intermediary. Not saying these examples should be applied now (although I'd love to see [i]something[/i] done about the eyes, for tints at least), but for future types of dragon modification or other actions, maybe it could be considered. I'd much rather see mechanics like that than purchasable-but-account-locked items.
Gaia wrote on 2019-12-09 05:32:55:
Hiya, I went ahead and moved this thread over to the Suggestions forum! I'm seeing a lot of creative ideas and constructive discussion. Loving it <3
Whereupon the post rate slows down. O the irony. Poor unloved suggestions forum. (Am I the only one who has more fun here than in FRD?)

PersimmonBird wrote on 2019-12-08 15:32:15:
Snek wrote on 2019-12-08 14:54:10:
Temporary nest color changes.
This would be a fantastic sink. I'd happily drop 15-50kt per nest laid for a safe (i.e single player, no risk of dragon loss) alternative to nest rentals.

I think MP vials for the "common" level eye tints would make a good sink as well, common vs uncommon vs unusual vs rare adds virtually no extra inherent value to a dragon.
Always support for both of these.

Regarding the eyes, there are also a lot of ideas in this thread about ways to change eyes other than vials - NPC, magic crystal, whatever.

Maybe a good way to introduce sinks would be to shake up the paradigm of 'Buy item --> activate item --> thing happens' for future features.

Instead, it could be 'Pay treasure directly to NPC/feature/etc --> thing happens'.

For example, if no vials had ever existed, and there was just a reflecting pool where each type had a price (treasure and/or gems) and you could pay that price to change any of your dragons to it.

Or if there were never renaming scrolls, just a page where, for a set fee, you could change a dragon's name.

Or even Jox boxes, it could've been just pay the price, get randomized loot, no container intermediary.

Not saying these examples should be applied now (although I'd love to see something done about the eyes, for tints at least), but for future types of dragon modification or other actions, maybe it could be considered.

I'd much rather see mechanics like that than purchasable-but-account-locked items.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
[quote name="lynxedlight" date="2019-12-09 04:54:25" ] vendor that changes a dragon's eye color randomly for a fee. maybe even increasing the more you use it in a day, capping at, idk, 100kt ensures people will drop hundreds of thousands of treasure in trying to get primal/multi for their dragons. or just the right eye color even. hell, i know i'd use it just because waiting for breeding projects to churn out the right tint is annoying downside: lots of uproar about effectively unretiring scattersights [/quote] I don’t think I’ve seen anyone happy about scattersights being retired. I’d support this from the bottom of my heart.
lynxedlight wrote on 2019-12-09 04:54:25:
vendor that changes a dragon's eye color randomly for a fee. maybe even increasing the more you use it in a day, capping at, idk, 100kt

ensures people will drop hundreds of thousands of treasure in trying to get primal/multi for their dragons. or just the right eye color even. hell, i know i'd use it just because waiting for breeding projects to churn out the right tint is annoying

downside: lots of uproar about effectively unretiring scattersights
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone happy about scattersights being retired. I’d support this from the bottom of my heart.
mkpoaHZ.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8