Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Eye Type Vials Purchasable
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2019-05-21 16:28:34" ] Another flaw, as pointed in a different thread, is that while Galore helps now, all future players are still cut out from having Goat or whatever on their progens etc. That could be solved by having Galore periodically repeat his gifts. [/quote] That's the part that [i]really [/i]bothers me, it leaves [i]nothing[/i] open for future needs that aren't solved by breeding. It completely closes the door on new players who joined too late, those who missed the pickup window and lost out, or those who just used up their vials and then later on had something come along they wished that they had saved one for and didn't. If FR wants to retain players in the long term and encourage activity and engagement with the site... how is giving out 2 free vials [i]for clicking once[/i] over the course of one week but permanently denying the opportunity to work for more helping promote that?
gemajgall wrote on 2019-05-21 16:28:34:
Another flaw, as pointed in a different thread, is that while Galore helps now, all future players are still cut out from having Goat or whatever on their progens etc. That could be solved by having Galore periodically repeat his gifts.

That's the part that really bothers me, it leaves nothing open for future needs that aren't solved by breeding. It completely closes the door on new players who joined too late, those who missed the pickup window and lost out, or those who just used up their vials and then later on had something come along they wished that they had saved one for and didn't. If FR wants to retain players in the long term and encourage activity and engagement with the site... how is giving out 2 free vials for clicking once over the course of one week but permanently denying the opportunity to work for more helping promote that?

[quote name="Almedha" date="2019-05-21 08:11:53" ] [quote name="@/Aequorin" date="2019-05-21 06:43:48" ] A quick forum moderation heads up: Off-topic comments discussing the standardization of eye art have been removed. [/quote] Then may the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2455826#post_2455826]Legacy Eye Type thread[/url] be unlocked--as it would be on-topic there and the suggestion still stands as it is a discussion point from the previous page on this thread--as a suggestion for one of the "future" types mentioned in the original post. [/quote] I’m confused as to how this is off-topic as well, but if that’s the case, I’d also like to ask if it would be possible to unlock the Legacy Eye Type thread?
Almedha wrote on 2019-05-21 08:11:53:
@/Aequorin wrote on 2019-05-21 06:43:48:
A quick forum moderation heads up: Off-topic comments discussing the standardization of eye art have been removed.
Then may the Legacy Eye Type thread be unlocked--as it would be on-topic there and the suggestion still stands as it is a discussion point from the previous page on this thread--as a suggestion for one of the "future" types mentioned in the original post.

I’m confused as to how this is off-topic as well, but if that’s the case, I’d also like to ask if it would be possible to unlock the Legacy Eye Type thread?
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I’d even be happy if scattersights just came back every year on anniversary, the same week they were released. They’d be less of a limited item and it would make using them less stressful
I’d even be happy if scattersights just came back every year on anniversary, the same week they were released. They’d be less of a limited item and it would make using them less stressful
• FR + 2
• He / They / It
• Suffering Adult
Oh Wyrm?
Adoptables
Art Shop
Tumblr
Lore Shop
Wishlist
RYeGELy.png
Alright, I'll try again, because this is on-topic.

Regarding future eye types as vials: there is no reason why we could not also have "legacy eyes" (as mentioned at least twice on page five of this thread) via his method as well. The reason given that the common eyes were changed in the first place was for standardization, but there are already non-standardized eye types (some rare eyes are two-toned but some are not; some eyes with a colored sclera are not colored on some dragons without, as in the manner of Dark Sclera, in which every dragon was given a sclera). I don't see why we couldn't have more non-standard eye types. (I'll add pictures when I'm not on mobile.)

This is good news, since if legacy eye types were released, we'd at least get a few from Galore. But these would also have to be purchasable, as the suggestion... suggests.

Regarding future eye types as vials: there is no reason why we could not also have "legacy eyes" (as mentioned at least twice on page five of this thread) via his method as well. The reason given that the common eyes were changed in the first place was for standardization, but there are already non-standardized eye types (some rare eyes are two-toned but some are not; some eyes with a colored sclera are not colored on some dragons without, as in the manner of Dark Sclera, in which every dragon was given a sclera). I don't see why we couldn't have more non-standard eye types. (I'll add pictures when I'm not on mobile.)

This is good news, since if legacy eye types were released, we'd at least get a few from Galore. But these would also have to be purchasable, as the suggestion... suggests.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2019-05-20 13:39:03" ] I support this. I understand the idea 'but I want random things happening while breeding' but I will never truly understand 'my enjoyment of X will be diminished because THEY can enjoy X without doing the exact same thing I did'. [/quote] I concur. Like, seriously, do we get angry at a player for being able to buy scrolls for their dream dragon with treasure/gems instead of going through the long process of getting parents with the correct genes/breed/colours and then spending months breeding for the right dragon? No, we don't. We accept that those are two different and yet equally valid methods for achieving the same goal and that they are dependent on the individual playstyle. If you want to breed for your desired Eye Type, fine, that's your call. But for a lot of other players, breeding is something they don't want to have to do (and can't in some situations) and being able to obtain Natural Eye Type Vials should be a valid way to play FR. Despite what people may think, the Eye Types aren't special. I think players get really hung up on the idea that dragons need to be valuable. That there needs to be something special about them or, boo hoo, they're going to get exalted. But here's the cold hard truth: The value of a dragon is inherently subjective. The only value a dragon has is the sentimental one [i]you[/i] give it. Your dragon is only valuable to [i]you[/i]. To everyone else, it's just a dragon. The introduction of Eye Types did not change this fact. So why then is there resistance to the idea of allowing Eye Types to be obtain via Vials in similar ways to how we obtain gene and breed scrolls? Eye Types are just another cosmetic feature, so let them be just another cosmetic feature we can reliably work towards. This is a very long-winded way to say that, yes, I support allowing Eye Types to be available via Vials. I support that these Vials be available for purchase with treasure or gems, through brewing with Baldwin, through Coli, through trading with Swipp, through gifts from Galore, and other means. The Vials don't always have to be available. I am perfectly fine with Vials being cycled on the MP or available once a month at Baldwin during festival weeks or whatever. I am also perfectly fine with the Vials being difficult or expensive to obtain. I like having concrete goals to work towards.
Jemadar wrote on 2019-05-20 13:39:03:
I support this.

I understand the idea 'but I want random things happening while breeding' but I will never truly understand 'my enjoyment of X will be diminished because THEY can enjoy X without doing the exact same thing I did'.

I concur. Like, seriously, do we get angry at a player for being able to buy scrolls for their dream dragon with treasure/gems instead of going through the long process of getting parents with the correct genes/breed/colours and then spending months breeding for the right dragon? No, we don't. We accept that those are two different and yet equally valid methods for achieving the same goal and that they are dependent on the individual playstyle.

If you want to breed for your desired Eye Type, fine, that's your call. But for a lot of other players, breeding is something they don't want to have to do (and can't in some situations) and being able to obtain Natural Eye Type Vials should be a valid way to play FR.

Despite what people may think, the Eye Types aren't special. I think players get really hung up on the idea that dragons need to be valuable. That there needs to be something special about them or, boo hoo, they're going to get exalted.

But here's the cold hard truth: The value of a dragon is inherently subjective. The only value a dragon has is the sentimental one you give it. Your dragon is only valuable to you. To everyone else, it's just a dragon.

The introduction of Eye Types did not change this fact. So why then is there resistance to the idea of allowing Eye Types to be obtain via Vials in similar ways to how we obtain gene and breed scrolls? Eye Types are just another cosmetic feature, so let them be just another cosmetic feature we can reliably work towards.

This is a very long-winded way to say that, yes, I support allowing Eye Types to be available via Vials. I support that these Vials be available for purchase with treasure or gems, through brewing with Baldwin, through Coli, through trading with Swipp, through gifts from Galore, and other means.

The Vials don't always have to be available. I am perfectly fine with Vials being cycled on the MP or available once a month at Baldwin during festival weeks or whatever. I am also perfectly fine with the Vials being difficult or expensive to obtain. I like having concrete goals to work towards.
YrlvOd9.pngQ47Y0lm.png
[quote name="arcaneidolriots" date="2019-05-22 10:22:11" ] Despite what people may think, the Eye Types aren't special. I think players get really hung up on the idea that dragons need to be valuable. That there needs to be something special about them or, boo hoo, they're going to get exalted. But here's the cold hard truth: The value of a dragon is inherently subjective. The only value a dragon has is the sentimental one [i]you[/i] give it. Your dragon is only valuable to [i]you[/i]. To everyone else, it's just a dragon.[/quote] Bless this post. As I always say, the system values every Level 1 dragon at 2-3kt. Anything from fodder hatchlings to G1 Imps, all 2-3kt. If the staff really did want to make certain dragons objectively more "valuable" or "special" than others, they'd raise that amount. Let some people have thier hardcore economics simulator and let the rest of us have our pretty dragon dress-up game
arcaneidolriots wrote on 2019-05-22 10:22:11:
Despite what people may think, the Eye Types aren't special. I think players get really hung up on the idea that dragons need to be valuable. That there needs to be something special about them or, boo hoo, they're going to get exalted.

But here's the cold hard truth: The value of a dragon is inherently subjective. The only value a dragon has is the sentimental one you give it. Your dragon is only valuable to you. To everyone else, it's just a dragon.

Bless this post. As I always say, the system values every Level 1 dragon at 2-3kt. Anything from fodder hatchlings to G1 Imps, all 2-3kt. If the staff really did want to make certain dragons objectively more "valuable" or "special" than others, they'd raise that amount. Let some people have thier hardcore economics simulator and let the rest of us have our pretty dragon dress-up game
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
[quote name="Almedha" date="2019-05-22 09:53:51" ] Alright, I'll try again, because this is on-topic. Regarding future eye types as vials: there is no reason why we could not also have "legacy eyes" (as mentioned at least twice on page five of this thread) via his method as well. The reason given that the common eyes were changed in the first place was for standardization, but there are already non-standardized eye types (some rare eyes are two-toned but some are not; some eyes with a colored sclera are not colored on some dragons without, as in the manner of Dark Sclera, in which every dragon was given a sclera). I don't see why we couldn't have more non-standard eye types. (I'll add pictures when I'm not on mobile.) This is good news, since if legacy eye types were released, we'd at least get a few from Galore. But these would also have to be purchasable, as the suggestion... suggests. [/quote] To add on: Since we’re getting Ancient-exclusive genes, I don’t see why we couldn’t have an eye type that’s only applicable to the current (as of today) breed catalogue. I get that standardization was done for consistency- for example, all Lightning Common dragons will have the same eye colour- and that’s fine. But we can have [b]both[/b] standardized Common eyes (as well as Uncommon, Primal, etc.) across breeds [b]plus[/b] Legacy eyes for the breeds that have Legacy eye artwork. They’re not mutually exclusive- the two can coexist! All other future eye types can all be standardized. New breeds can all pull from the standardized Common/etc. palettes, and they don’t need to have Legacy as an option. Legacy would just be a single, non-standard eye type to restore the dragons people paid and worked to look a certain way, plus it would open up more options for people’s projects. As per the OP suggestion: [quote name="thecatsred" date="2019-05-20 10:22:16" ] Make all existing [b]and future eye type[/b] vials (now that they exist) purchasable through the gem marketplace.[/quote] I still feel like there’s a place for Legacy as one of the aforementioned future eye type vials, and I fully support vials for all possible future eye types. There’s a lot that can be done with the eye type feature! It’s just... not quite there yet.
Almedha wrote on 2019-05-22 09:53:51:

To add on: Since we’re getting Ancient-exclusive genes, I don’t see why we couldn’t have an eye type that’s only applicable to the current (as of today) breed catalogue.

I get that standardization was done for consistency- for example, all Lightning Common dragons will have the same eye colour- and that’s fine. But we can have both standardized Common eyes (as well as Uncommon, Primal, etc.) across breeds plus Legacy eyes for the breeds that have Legacy eye artwork. They’re not mutually exclusive- the two can coexist!

All other future eye types can all be standardized. New breeds can all pull from the standardized Common/etc. palettes, and they don’t need to have Legacy as an option. Legacy would just be a single, non-standard eye type to restore the dragons people paid and worked to look a certain way, plus it would open up more options for people’s projects.

As per the OP suggestion:
thecatsred wrote on 2019-05-20 10:22:16:
Make all existing and future eye type vials (now that they exist) purchasable through the gem marketplace.

I still feel like there’s a place for Legacy as one of the aforementioned future eye type vials, and I fully support vials for all possible future eye types. There’s a lot that can be done with the eye type feature! It’s just... not quite there yet.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
Hello everyone. The thread's been locked as it's gone off-topic and discusses forum moderation. Suggestions requesting the old eye type art are considered off-topic because at their core these are suggestions to reverse the standardized art. We refrain from directly responding to player suggestions [b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2369632]for a reason[/url][/b], but on Monday, May 20, 2019, and as requested by players, we made a one-time exception to our Suggestions Forum policy and [b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2459186/112#post_38992085]directly addressed this topic within the Suggestions Forum itself:[/url][/b] [quote][b]Common Eye Type[/b] The standardization of the eye colors across breeds is permanent and will not be reverted, not even through an eye type vial. As we’ve mentioned before, this was done to create consistency across all current breeds and a standard for the development of future dragon breeds. As more eye types are released, there may be some with art that bears similarity to how common eyes looked in the past, but they will be developed following the new standard.[/quote] Eye type suggestions in general are okay. Suggestions and discussions about gameplay or features are okay. Constructive criticism of gameplay or features is okay and, most importantly, valuable—so long as it remains constructive and is topical to gameplay or the feature. Threads with negative feedback or criticism require moderation when the discussion goes from constructive gameplay focused feedback to comments or speculation focused on the [I]Flight Rising[/I] team or policies. Feedback or concerns regarding the team, decisions, or policies must be submitted through [b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us]Contact Us[/url][/b].
Hello everyone. The thread's been locked as it's gone off-topic and discusses forum moderation.

Suggestions requesting the old eye type art are considered off-topic because at their core these are suggestions to reverse the standardized art.

We refrain from directly responding to player suggestions for a reason, but on Monday, May 20, 2019, and as requested by players, we made a one-time exception to our Suggestions Forum policy and directly addressed this topic within the Suggestions Forum itself:

Quote:
Common Eye Type
The standardization of the eye colors across breeds is permanent and will not be reverted, not even through an eye type vial. As we’ve mentioned before, this was done to create consistency across all current breeds and a standard for the development of future dragon breeds.

As more eye types are released, there may be some with art that bears similarity to how common eyes looked in the past, but they will be developed following the new standard.

Eye type suggestions in general are okay. Suggestions and discussions about gameplay or features are okay. Constructive criticism of gameplay or features is okay and, most importantly, valuable—so long as it remains constructive and is topical to gameplay or the feature.

Threads with negative feedback or criticism require moderation when the discussion goes from constructive gameplay focused feedback to comments or speculation focused on the Flight Rising team or policies. Feedback or concerns regarding the team, decisions, or policies must be submitted through Contact Us.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7