Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Eye Type Vials Purchasable
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
i fully support this! i was talking about it in on discord with some friends, and we made a good comparison: the color wheel expansion

the CWE, i'm told, was met with great praise and excitement from the userbase, with the joy of greater customization and the only downside being larger breeding color ranges. tri-color scattersights existed and were the same way to get different colors, as always

eye types are RNG based, too. given while every color has an equal chance in a given range and eye types have set % chances, there's a slight difference, but the principle is basically the same. heck, they're basically the eye type equivalent of tri-color scatterscrolls. so why have different stances on the same subject?

like others have said, it's a great way to get people to spend gems if it's in the gem MP. if people convert to gems from treasure, that could also be another treasure sink! and there have been a lot of talks about the treasure economy, so, it could probably work there?

i can't think of any logistical downsides to its implementation other than "not what the devs originally wanted," but, those kinds of things have changed in the past (jup/sat art change, roundsey, etc.). i think overall, it'd be a step in the right direction and fix a lot of the issues going on. while i'm glad we're getting something at least, i do want to put my voice out there and hope we can take some more steps in the right direction!
i fully support this! i was talking about it in on discord with some friends, and we made a good comparison: the color wheel expansion

the CWE, i'm told, was met with great praise and excitement from the userbase, with the joy of greater customization and the only downside being larger breeding color ranges. tri-color scattersights existed and were the same way to get different colors, as always

eye types are RNG based, too. given while every color has an equal chance in a given range and eye types have set % chances, there's a slight difference, but the principle is basically the same. heck, they're basically the eye type equivalent of tri-color scatterscrolls. so why have different stances on the same subject?

like others have said, it's a great way to get people to spend gems if it's in the gem MP. if people convert to gems from treasure, that could also be another treasure sink! and there have been a lot of talks about the treasure economy, so, it could probably work there?

i can't think of any logistical downsides to its implementation other than "not what the devs originally wanted," but, those kinds of things have changed in the past (jup/sat art change, roundsey, etc.). i think overall, it'd be a step in the right direction and fix a lot of the issues going on. while i'm glad we're getting something at least, i do want to put my voice out there and hope we can take some more steps in the right direction!
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
Support.
Support.
Support. I would've gladly accepted them through any other site system but purchasable would be ideal next to more specified releases like Primal in Coli. Galore made me so hopeful we'd get them evenentually even if only by a limited release and the decision to only do this with new natural eye types from goat onwards instead of all is incredibly disappointing.
Support. I would've gladly accepted them through any other site system but purchasable would be ideal next to more specified releases like Primal in Coli. Galore made me so hopeful we'd get them evenentually even if only by a limited release and the decision to only do this with new natural eye types from goat onwards instead of all is incredibly disappointing.

“Denizens of the Volt-Lands”
She/They/He | FR Time +0
Support.

The seeming disregard for older players and older dragons has been and is my largest and longest-lasting frustration with the whole eye business, but even newer players and dragons feel like they're getting a raw deal under the current eye sysem. I have an Imperial Primal breeding project in the works, and currently my plan is to:

1.) Get 16 unrelated dragons
2.) Take a Flight Change vacation
3.) Get at least two unrelated breeding pairs in the exact colours I want
4.) Pump out a ton of identical hatchlings until I either get Primal or get up to 35 breeding pairs
5.) If the latter then I'll have a constant stream of nothing but Obs/Vermillion/Avocado Imperials until I get a male Primal, considering Imps' breeding cooldown and my five nests.

That is 70 dragons. And the odds are so poor that this could still be a years-long project even after I get 35 pairs.

That seems... like an excessive thing to push your players to do, to me? But it's the kind of play that's being encouraged by the current eye system, and the vast majority of players are not going to be that patient. Frankly, they shouldn't have to be.

If a cycling release struck the right balance, then potentially I'd still go through with the above plan so I could Primal several of my oldies and do the breeding project while I wait out the "cooldown" between vial releases. It would make me more likely to go for special eye types in general.

I would like to customize my dragons on this website about customizing dragons.
Support.

The seeming disregard for older players and older dragons has been and is my largest and longest-lasting frustration with the whole eye business, but even newer players and dragons feel like they're getting a raw deal under the current eye sysem. I have an Imperial Primal breeding project in the works, and currently my plan is to:

4.) Pump out a ton of identical hatchlings until I either get Primal or get up to 35 breeding pairs
5.) If the latter then I'll have a constant stream of nothing but Obs/Vermillion/Avocado Imperials until I get a male Primal, considering Imps' breeding cooldown and my five nests.

That is 70 dragons. And the odds are so poor that this could still be a years-long project even after I get 35 pairs.

That seems... like an excessive thing to push your players to do, to me? But it's the kind of play that's being encouraged by the current eye system, and the vast majority of players are not going to be that patient. Frankly, they shouldn't have to be.

If a cycling release struck the right balance, then potentially I'd still go through with the above plan so I could Primal several of my oldies and do the breeding project while I wait out the "cooldown" between vial releases. It would make me more likely to go for special eye types in general.

jtgoRWq.png
[quote name="SparkyLurkdragon" date="2019-05-21 02:18:25" ] Support. The seeming disregard for older players and older dragons has been and is my largest and longest-lasting frustration with the whole eye business, but even newer players and dragons feel like they're getting a raw deal under the current eye sysem. I have an Imperial Primal breeding project in the works, and currently my plan is to: 1.) Get 16 unrelated dragons 2.) Take a Flight Change vacation 3.) Get at least two unrelated breeding pairs in the exact colours I want 4.) Pump out a ton of identical hatchlings until I either get Primal or get up to 35 breeding pairs 5.) If the latter then I'll have a constant stream of nothing but Obs/Vermillion/Avocado Imperials until I get a male Primal, considering Imps' breeding cooldown and my five nests. That is 70 dragons. And the odds are so poor that this could still be a years-long project even after I get 35 pairs. That seems... like an excessive thing to push your players to do, to me? But it's the kind of play that's being encouraged by the current eye system, and the vast majority of players are not going to be that patient. Frankly, they shouldn't have to be. If a cycling release struck the right balance, then potentially I'd still go through with the above plan so I could Primal several of my oldies and do the breeding project while I wait out the "cooldown" between vial releases. It would make me more likely to go for special eye types in general. I would like to customize my dragons on this website about customizing dragons. [/quote] And while that seems like a complicated long-term plan, it's still largely passive. Once you have your breeding pairs, you only need to check in on FR long enough to put a pair on the nest and incubate it. Finding the pairs isn't going to be that more engaging--checking the AH, checking the dragon search, buying the ones that are available. Now, compare it to if all of us could purchase eye vials or earn them through site mechanics. We'd be playing the Fairgrounds, grinding in the Coli, working up our Baldwin and Gathering levels, scoping out the Marketplace, on the forums engaging in sales and trades...IMHO, that definitely seems like it's what FR would want us to be doing other than incubating nests then leaving.
SparkyLurkdragon wrote on 2019-05-21 02:18:25:
Support.

And while that seems like a complicated long-term plan, it's still largely passive. Once you have your breeding pairs, you only need to check in on FR long enough to put a pair on the nest and incubate it. Finding the pairs isn't going to be that more engaging--checking the AH, checking the dragon search, buying the ones that are available.

Now, compare it to if all of us could purchase eye vials or earn them through site mechanics. We'd be playing the Fairgrounds, grinding in the Coli, working up our Baldwin and Gathering levels, scoping out the Marketplace, on the forums engaging in sales and trades...IMHO, that definitely seems like it's what FR would want us to be doing other than incubating nests then leaving.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
A quick forum moderation heads up: Off-topic comments discussing the standardization of eye art have been removed.
A quick forum moderation heads up: Off-topic comments discussing the standardization of eye art have been removed.
Support (again)!

The current eye system isn’t fun for anyone besides people who simply enjoy randomness. It’s not fun for older users because all of their dragons are excluded from it. Heck; it’s not even fun for newer users for the same reason- they can’t get different Natural eyes on their progens or favorite dragons. And with how horrible the hatch odds are, we’re also all virtually unable to get specific new eyes on breeding projects. :(

Vials would let people enjoy the random-hatch aspect and give everyone ways to get the new eyes on existing dragons. They’re two separate markets: A user who just wants a Primal dragon will be far more likely to buy a 40kT Primal baby on the AH, whereas a user who wants Primal on their 3-year-old Wind rep won’t be interested in that 40kT Primal baby. They’d rather fork over that 1 million Treasure (for example) for a vial.

Eyes can’t be reliably bred for, and they don’t get passed down. Eye vials affect the dragon they’re used on exclusively. Someone giving their progen Multi-Gaze isn’t going to flood the market with Multi-Gaze babies or “devalue” Multi-Gaze dragons (which are already going for cheap anyway), especially not if the vial is expensive! A 500g+ vial that applies a certain eye type to a single dragon (and doesn’t affect its offspring) isn’t going to touch the hatch market.

It’s the same sort of thing as buying genes. Yeah, I could just buy a new dragon with Cherub, but if I want Cherub on one of my old favorites, that’s not going to help me. I want to customize my own dragon that I already have, enjoy, and am attached to; I’m not going to chuck it in the bin every time something shiny and new comes along. You can’t replace sentimental value!

I really feel like vials would be the best way to go for this. People have been wanting this for almost a full year, and everyone gets stoked whenever new vials are released. Users like having control over customization!

As things stand, I’m still like...
Why even bother releasing eye types at all if we can’t interact with the majority of them? What’s the point of a potentially-cool new feature that we can’t... actually partake in because it’s locked to “future dragons only” and terrible RNG?
Support (again)!

The current eye system isn’t fun for anyone besides people who simply enjoy randomness. It’s not fun for older users because all of their dragons are excluded from it. Heck; it’s not even fun for newer users for the same reason- they can’t get different Natural eyes on their progens or favorite dragons. And with how horrible the hatch odds are, we’re also all virtually unable to get specific new eyes on breeding projects. :(

Vials would let people enjoy the random-hatch aspect and give everyone ways to get the new eyes on existing dragons. They’re two separate markets: A user who just wants a Primal dragon will be far more likely to buy a 40kT Primal baby on the AH, whereas a user who wants Primal on their 3-year-old Wind rep won’t be interested in that 40kT Primal baby. They’d rather fork over that 1 million Treasure (for example) for a vial.

Eyes can’t be reliably bred for, and they don’t get passed down. Eye vials affect the dragon they’re used on exclusively. Someone giving their progen Multi-Gaze isn’t going to flood the market with Multi-Gaze babies or “devalue” Multi-Gaze dragons (which are already going for cheap anyway), especially not if the vial is expensive! A 500g+ vial that applies a certain eye type to a single dragon (and doesn’t affect its offspring) isn’t going to touch the hatch market.

It’s the same sort of thing as buying genes. Yeah, I could just buy a new dragon with Cherub, but if I want Cherub on one of my old favorites, that’s not going to help me. I want to customize my own dragon that I already have, enjoy, and am attached to; I’m not going to chuck it in the bin every time something shiny and new comes along. You can’t replace sentimental value!

I really feel like vials would be the best way to go for this. People have been wanting this for almost a full year, and everyone gets stoked whenever new vials are released. Users like having control over customization!

As things stand, I’m still like...
Why even bother releasing eye types at all if we can’t interact with the majority of them? What’s the point of a potentially-cool new feature that we can’t... actually partake in because it’s locked to “future dragons only” and terrible RNG?
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="@Aequorin" date="2019-05-21 06:43:48" ] A quick forum moderation heads up: Off-topic comments discussing the standardization of eye art have been removed. [/quote] Then may the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2455826#post_2455826]Legacy Eye Type thread[/url] be unlocked--as it would be on-topic there and the suggestion still stands as it is a discussion point from the previous page on this thread--as a suggestion for one of the "future" types mentioned in the original post.
@Aequorin wrote on 2019-05-21 06:43:48:
Then may the Legacy Eye Type thread be unlocked--as it would be on-topic there and the suggestion still stands as it is a discussion point from the previous page on this thread--as a suggestion for one of the "future" types mentioned in the original post.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I agree! Randomness can be fun in some contexts. I like scattering dragons and breeding pairs with large ranges just to see what happens, because it's fun when you get something lucky! I was excited to hatch my first primal recently, and I definitely think that random hatch eyes should still be a thing!

However, getting primal on a random dragon doesn't change the fact that I've been working on a multigaze breeding project for months now and I still haven't gotten anything.

The problem arises when an entire mechanic is locked behind RNG. Breeding is fine, because you can easily narrow down your breeding range to try and get what you want, and every colour has an equal chance of appearing. The only true RNG is sex, and that's 50/50, not like the 1/100 odds of getting primal. Scatter scrolls are fine, because there's an infinite number of them available. I can keep gambling as long as I like. Coli/chest drop RNG is fine too, because it is very easy to buy what you don't have on the AH (unlike with special eye dragons with rare colour combinations), and again, nothing is retiring.

I feel the same way about the vials- my main problem is that they were retired. If they were infinitely available, either as a marketplace item (they would make a great treasure sink or encourage people to spend gems), or as a cycling item, I would be content to keep gambling.
I agree! Randomness can be fun in some contexts. I like scattering dragons and breeding pairs with large ranges just to see what happens, because it's fun when you get something lucky! I was excited to hatch my first primal recently, and I definitely think that random hatch eyes should still be a thing!

However, getting primal on a random dragon doesn't change the fact that I've been working on a multigaze breeding project for months now and I still haven't gotten anything.

The problem arises when an entire mechanic is locked behind RNG. Breeding is fine, because you can easily narrow down your breeding range to try and get what you want, and every colour has an equal chance of appearing. The only true RNG is sex, and that's 50/50, not like the 1/100 odds of getting primal. Scatter scrolls are fine, because there's an infinite number of them available. I can keep gambling as long as I like. Coli/chest drop RNG is fine too, because it is very easy to buy what you don't have on the AH (unlike with special eye dragons with rare colour combinations), and again, nothing is retiring.

I feel the same way about the vials- my main problem is that they were retired. If they were infinitely available, either as a marketplace item (they would make a great treasure sink or encourage people to spend gems), or as a cycling item, I would be content to keep gambling.
jCVhFoZ.gif
And seeing how the information I presented about future eye vials is gone, I'll rehash.

Galore is a great step, and I am very glad to see that (it appears like) all new natural eyes will have account-locked vials in Galore. I'm not sure if that applies to unnatural too. At least, I hope I'm reading it correctly that Galore will include a limited vial release for all natural eyes. (I hope this includes a pseudo-legacy eye that the announcement post seemed to imply might happen--unless pseudo-legacy is an unnatural type, with an always available vial, which would be better.)

However, Galore is only a single step and he still has flaws. For example, say I don't care about goat but I want three facets on my perma dragons. I can't just sell the goat vials and buy facet vials--I have to go through unsanctioned dragon lending. And I am sure that is something the staff didn't envision when they considered Galore, but it is a reality now. Locking the vials just means dragons are going to be temporarily traded.

Now, this could be changed by making all vials sell-able. At least then players have less reason to worry about being scammed. If that suits the staff's "vision" (pun).

Another flaw, as pointed in a different thread, is that while Galore helps now, all future players are still cut out from having Goat or whatever on their progens etc. That could be solved by having Galore periodically repeat his gifts.

Another solution would be just to keep Galore as an option. Players get, say two Rare Eyed Vials from Galore and then have to earn more through the MP or Roundsey or Baldwin or the Coli or whatever. Perhaps Galore gives out a new scattervial that just scatters between common-rare while all the other eyes have to be purchased in the gem marketplace.

There's lots of options, and I hope we keep getting options going forward instead of having tens of thousands of existing players being cut off from enjoying new features on their beloved dragons.

EDIT: I'm also still not sure how ancient dragons will fit in with eyes and all. Will ancient dragons have their own eye types unique to them? Will they share eye types with modern breeds? Will changing a dragon from ancient to modern or vice versa force it to have common eyes the same as it will reset all genes? Concerning the last question, if it is true, that is ALL the more reason we seriously need individual eye vials. It would really, really suck to have a perma dragon that would be lovely as a new dragon lite, then not only having to completely re-gene it, but also re-eye it, especially if we're still in the eye-pocalypse quagmire with no real viable options to re-eye a dragon.

I mean, imagine your beloved multi-eyed dragon would be great as an ancient wyvern--but in doing so you might never be able to get multi on it again. That's cutting players out from fully enjoying the ancient breed or forcing them to make a choice between breed or eyes.

At the very least, the state of eye types and ancient breed changes needs to be made crystal clear before players (current and future) apply a breed change scroll when dragons lite come out.
And seeing how the information I presented about future eye vials is gone, I'll rehash.

Galore is a great step, and I am very glad to see that (it appears like) all new natural eyes will have account-locked vials in Galore. I'm not sure if that applies to unnatural too. At least, I hope I'm reading it correctly that Galore will include a limited vial release for all natural eyes. (I hope this includes a pseudo-legacy eye that the announcement post seemed to imply might happen--unless pseudo-legacy is an unnatural type, with an always available vial, which would be better.)

However, Galore is only a single step and he still has flaws. For example, say I don't care about goat but I want three facets on my perma dragons. I can't just sell the goat vials and buy facet vials--I have to go through unsanctioned dragon lending. And I am sure that is something the staff didn't envision when they considered Galore, but it is a reality now. Locking the vials just means dragons are going to be temporarily traded.

Now, this could be changed by making all vials sell-able. At least then players have less reason to worry about being scammed. If that suits the staff's "vision" (pun).

Another flaw, as pointed in a different thread, is that while Galore helps now, all future players are still cut out from having Goat or whatever on their progens etc. That could be solved by having Galore periodically repeat his gifts.

Another solution would be just to keep Galore as an option. Players get, say two Rare Eyed Vials from Galore and then have to earn more through the MP or Roundsey or Baldwin or the Coli or whatever. Perhaps Galore gives out a new scattervial that just scatters between common-rare while all the other eyes have to be purchased in the gem marketplace.

There's lots of options, and I hope we keep getting options going forward instead of having tens of thousands of existing players being cut off from enjoying new features on their beloved dragons.

EDIT: I'm also still not sure how ancient dragons will fit in with eyes and all. Will ancient dragons have their own eye types unique to them? Will they share eye types with modern breeds? Will changing a dragon from ancient to modern or vice versa force it to have common eyes the same as it will reset all genes? Concerning the last question, if it is true, that is ALL the more reason we seriously need individual eye vials. It would really, really suck to have a perma dragon that would be lovely as a new dragon lite, then not only having to completely re-gene it, but also re-eye it, especially if we're still in the eye-pocalypse quagmire with no real viable options to re-eye a dragon.

I mean, imagine your beloved multi-eyed dragon would be great as an ancient wyvern--but in doing so you might never be able to get multi on it again. That's cutting players out from fully enjoying the ancient breed or forcing them to make a choice between breed or eyes.

At the very least, the state of eye types and ancient breed changes needs to be made crystal clear before players (current and future) apply a breed change scroll when dragons lite come out.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7