Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Sug.] Fayd's Exaltation Overhaul
1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
No support.

i would like to point out that this thread is nearly ten years old, and a lot of changes have been made since it’s writing. I don’t think some of the ideas here still apply (“exaltion isn’t worth your time vs the payout”- it definitely is, as I’ve made massive amounts of treasure a relatively short time in one day from it) and saying that “it’s boring” is a facet of personal opinion (i for one really like it because i’m grinding the coliseum for rare and expensive things to keep or sell on the ah/training dragons while making money!)

with that said, i don’t really know how effective it is to keep necro-ing it. it very well may not line up at all with current/future lore in some ways, it makes an existing system fifty times more complicated, and adds on a ton more to worry about, and would take an astronomical amount of coding work as well as art to implement. Not to mention how complicating it would probably make it harder to participate in for more casual players.

plus the idea of flight specific items/features rubs me the wrong way for so many reasons...

the other thing is that this system completely ignores the technical reason that exalting was added to the site: decreased stress on servers. when you exalt a dragon, it removes massive amounts of data from the servers. we know that 70k+ dragons are exalted per day, so imagine 70k dragons that are not bound by lair size (the reason your lair is limited at all is because of server load, too) with all of their original information plus massive text blurbs, jobs, and tons of other things being added to a dragon who can’t be dressed with apparel, trained in the coliseum, or bred. you’re adding so much to a dragon that is functionally useless. imagine what random information being generated for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of newly exalted dragons during big dom battles (NvP, going on this past week, for example) would do to lag onsite. nothing good. and considering most people exalt dragons for profit, a lot of this work would go unseen and uncared for. sure, the dragons you exalted for profit have a spot in your exalted-dragon-memorial-gardens now, but they’re all butt-ugly because you weren’t focused on buying pretty dragons. you were focused on making money, or gaining dominance for your flight.

anyway, i’m gonna step off the soap box now.
No support.

i would like to point out that this thread is nearly ten years old, and a lot of changes have been made since it’s writing. I don’t think some of the ideas here still apply (“exaltion isn’t worth your time vs the payout”- it definitely is, as I’ve made massive amounts of treasure a relatively short time in one day from it) and saying that “it’s boring” is a facet of personal opinion (i for one really like it because i’m grinding the coliseum for rare and expensive things to keep or sell on the ah/training dragons while making money!)

with that said, i don’t really know how effective it is to keep necro-ing it. it very well may not line up at all with current/future lore in some ways, it makes an existing system fifty times more complicated, and adds on a ton more to worry about, and would take an astronomical amount of coding work as well as art to implement. Not to mention how complicating it would probably make it harder to participate in for more casual players.

plus the idea of flight specific items/features rubs me the wrong way for so many reasons...

the other thing is that this system completely ignores the technical reason that exalting was added to the site: decreased stress on servers. when you exalt a dragon, it removes massive amounts of data from the servers. we know that 70k+ dragons are exalted per day, so imagine 70k dragons that are not bound by lair size (the reason your lair is limited at all is because of server load, too) with all of their original information plus massive text blurbs, jobs, and tons of other things being added to a dragon who can’t be dressed with apparel, trained in the coliseum, or bred. you’re adding so much to a dragon that is functionally useless. imagine what random information being generated for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of newly exalted dragons during big dom battles (NvP, going on this past week, for example) would do to lag onsite. nothing good. and considering most people exalt dragons for profit, a lot of this work would go unseen and uncared for. sure, the dragons you exalted for profit have a spot in your exalted-dragon-memorial-gardens now, but they’re all butt-ugly because you weren’t focused on buying pretty dragons. you were focused on making money, or gaining dominance for your flight.

anyway, i’m gonna step off the soap box now.
ff[/color
FObX7rS.png
5hF3FGk.png
fkWjutW.png
mlHpBMC.png
Flute Stag Figurine Scroll Case
ekux78o.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
kdxdYDq.png
zm4A1gT.png
[quote name="HaloJones" date="2022-03-12 12:53:16" ] @Aliandrin I am against the idea of clanbound anything, particularly clanbound eggs. At least with other clanbound items you can take part in non-supported actions to get around the "locking" - like having someone send you their dragon and applying the clanbound breed change or whatever to it. But you can't even do that with a clanbound egg. I don't want a "chance to hatch" - what I want is a CHOICE. I want to decide for myself what I value the most: the excitement (or complete disinterest in my case) from hatching, or the sales money that can be applied to some other project that I actually do get some pleasure from. I don't want the site effectively telling me "You SHOULD enjoy hatching eggs, so we're going to force you to do it". It's like some extreme sports enthusiast buying someone who hates heights a base-jumping lesson as a present and telling them "you should have a chance to try this activity" when the recipient doesn't want that "chance" and would really much rather have the money that the sports enthusiast spent on the base jumping lesson as their present instead. One of the major things that makes FR successful is that it has a (mostly) free economy where I can sell anything to do with some aspect of the site I'm not interested in (like hatching eggs) and use the money to invest in some aspect of the site I am interested in (like collecting all the familiars). Clanbound items effectively strangle that free economy and try to force the player to take part in some aspect of FR that doesn't interest them, which detracts from that player's enjoyment of the site as a whole. Sorry for the rant. I admit that I have an axe to grind regarding clanbound items and I'm fed up to the back teeth with the site continuing to release them despite the fact that we've had many threads on the Suggestions forums begging the staff to stop doing anything clanbound. [/quote] Well no support to this suggestion then, because if people can get unhatched eggs from exalting then that will crash the market.
HaloJones wrote on 2022-03-12 12:53:16:
@Aliandrin
I am against the idea of clanbound anything, particularly clanbound eggs.
At least with other clanbound items you can take part in non-supported actions to get around the "locking" - like having someone send you their dragon and applying the clanbound breed change or whatever to it. But you can't even do that with a clanbound egg.

I don't want a "chance to hatch" - what I want is a CHOICE. I want to decide for myself what I value the most: the excitement (or complete disinterest in my case) from hatching, or the sales money that can be applied to some other project that I actually do get some pleasure from. I don't want the site effectively telling me "You SHOULD enjoy hatching eggs, so we're going to force you to do it".
It's like some extreme sports enthusiast buying someone who hates heights a base-jumping lesson as a present and telling them "you should have a chance to try this activity" when the recipient doesn't want that "chance" and would really much rather have the money that the sports enthusiast spent on the base jumping lesson as their present instead.

One of the major things that makes FR successful is that it has a (mostly) free economy where I can sell anything to do with some aspect of the site I'm not interested in (like hatching eggs) and use the money to invest in some aspect of the site I am interested in (like collecting all the familiars). Clanbound items effectively strangle that free economy and try to force the player to take part in some aspect of FR that doesn't interest them, which detracts from that player's enjoyment of the site as a whole.

Sorry for the rant. I admit that I have an axe to grind regarding clanbound items and I'm fed up to the back teeth with the site continuing to release them despite the fact that we've had many threads on the Suggestions forums begging the staff to stop doing anything clanbound.

Well no support to this suggestion then, because if people can get unhatched eggs from exalting then that will crash the market.
86cgLtF.png
I think the idea as a whole is good, which at it's base is to spice up exalting. Things can be changed, such as not getting eggs. However adding more things to do when you exalt a dragon is a pretty neat idea, or at least adding more things you get when you exalt.
I think the idea as a whole is good, which at it's base is to spice up exalting. Things can be changed, such as not getting eggs. However adding more things to do when you exalt a dragon is a pretty neat idea, or at least adding more things you get when you exalt.
kbWMBt3.png40tk2UH.png0GOg895.png
I'd love an updated version of this. Adding more things to exalting would be neat even if it was small milestones. A lot of this seems cool but like I said it would need updating as this is a post from years back.
I'd love an updated version of this. Adding more things to exalting would be neat even if it was small milestones. A lot of this seems cool but like I said it would need updating as this is a post from years back.
84902117.png1422796.png 3073204.png 8428246.png 6003887.png
Bringing this back, as this might be a lovely shot in the arm to put into the Grand Exchange as a regular feature (like the Bounty Hunter suggestions, 1, 2, 3 as well). So it sees more regular use except as just the new Festive Favors spot.

Actually having individual benefits from exalting outside of group dom is nice. So even flights that don't manage to regularly get top three in dom, would still get rewarded for their efforts from being able to trade and sell things from their specific Flight version exalt shop on the AH or forums.

Also any place to buy new Flight specific bio or scenery goodies/apparel is always nice. Because we only get flight specific apparel for fests. (And I'm still thirsty for the water apparel in that other suggestion).
Bringing this back, as this might be a lovely shot in the arm to put into the Grand Exchange as a regular feature (like the Bounty Hunter suggestions, 1, 2, 3 as well). So it sees more regular use except as just the new Festive Favors spot.

Actually having individual benefits from exalting outside of group dom is nice. So even flights that don't manage to regularly get top three in dom, would still get rewarded for their efforts from being able to trade and sell things from their specific Flight version exalt shop on the AH or forums.

Also any place to buy new Flight specific bio or scenery goodies/apparel is always nice. Because we only get flight specific apparel for fests. (And I'm still thirsty for the water apparel in that other suggestion).
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
This sounds super intriguing. I was so excited when I saw this until I realized how old it is. Still, I definitely support it (even if it kind of looks like that's a no, at this point)!
This sounds super intriguing. I was so excited when I saw this until I realized how old it is. Still, I definitely support it (even if it kind of looks like that's a no, at this point)!
FR%20Adopt%20Sheepy%20Starry%20Peach.png
This is such a stupendous, staggering amount of information that I couldn't get through a lot of the explanation. The cure of boring/unrewarded exaltation is not five new systems which overcomplicate the entire process. Confusion and exhaustion are not good alternatives to boredom; it's just a new flavor of tedium.

Another issue with this post is that it sees exalting as a failed game feature instead of its own solution for a dofferent feature.

Flight Rising's game loop (arguably, its main purpose) is to breed dragons. Two dragons make between 1-5 children. I don't own a crazy amount of dragons, and only a small portion of those I'm using for breeding. Even with that, even with cooldowns and maturation, I am left with so many babies. So, so many. And I could decide to make those dragons have babies of their own, and since dragons will never become too old to produce offspring, the population rises exponentially. More and more dragons, less and less demand, and even genuinely very pretty dragons or ones with immense cooldowns can't be given away, much less sold. The price goes down and down and down.

Exaltation is the buyer who always has the space, money, and desire to take your dragons off your hands. It's the reason dragons are not 10t in the auction house, and even without the addition of dominance it would be a very good system. They have an inherent worth that somewhat, sorta, kinda makes a pass at giving the economy some thin form of stability.

But, more than all, I exalt dragons because I want them gone. Though a list of some sort of all dragons I've exalted would be nice, I'm not interested in displaying them prominently/publicly/at all. I would be perfectly happy to forget about them.

Now, does the system need rebalancing? I think it would be beneficial, yeah! But that would work best followed along with the coliseum overhaul. It wouldn't be a good idea to drastically change rewards and payouts when the process of obtaining levels is going to change - possibly in a big way. Once the system is redone, the exaltation system can be reevaluated based on the change in effort required to level fodder.
This is such a stupendous, staggering amount of information that I couldn't get through a lot of the explanation. The cure of boring/unrewarded exaltation is not five new systems which overcomplicate the entire process. Confusion and exhaustion are not good alternatives to boredom; it's just a new flavor of tedium.

Another issue with this post is that it sees exalting as a failed game feature instead of its own solution for a dofferent feature.

Flight Rising's game loop (arguably, its main purpose) is to breed dragons. Two dragons make between 1-5 children. I don't own a crazy amount of dragons, and only a small portion of those I'm using for breeding. Even with that, even with cooldowns and maturation, I am left with so many babies. So, so many. And I could decide to make those dragons have babies of their own, and since dragons will never become too old to produce offspring, the population rises exponentially. More and more dragons, less and less demand, and even genuinely very pretty dragons or ones with immense cooldowns can't be given away, much less sold. The price goes down and down and down.

Exaltation is the buyer who always has the space, money, and desire to take your dragons off your hands. It's the reason dragons are not 10t in the auction house, and even without the addition of dominance it would be a very good system. They have an inherent worth that somewhat, sorta, kinda makes a pass at giving the economy some thin form of stability.

But, more than all, I exalt dragons because I want them gone. Though a list of some sort of all dragons I've exalted would be nice, I'm not interested in displaying them prominently/publicly/at all. I would be perfectly happy to forget about them.

Now, does the system need rebalancing? I think it would be beneficial, yeah! But that would work best followed along with the coliseum overhaul. It wouldn't be a good idea to drastically change rewards and payouts when the process of obtaining levels is going to change - possibly in a big way. Once the system is redone, the exaltation system can be reevaluated based on the change in effort required to level fodder.
Tumblr_l_110173923371982.jpg
Yes yes yes yes yes
Yes yes yes yes yes
Jd88XNq.pngread before friending, blocking, reporting etc. Please! (Hopefully not the last one tho :)
BjMvLeY.png(non-fodder) dergs from u are safe with me!
feXtM27.pngarcane is the best. Change my mind. (clan lore)
7c8ZUEs.png lore, art and more!
wishlist
I’m sorry, I’m going to have to say no support for a number of reasons. I won’t articulate everything since there are others out there who have said it better (especially regarding the possibility of crashing the dragon economy).

1. Exaltation’s main reason is for the health of the servers. I don’t think that something like this, which would add even more information to exalted dragons, could be implemented anytime soon, if ever.
2. It is way too complicated imo. I couldn’t even read through the entire thing, let alone figure out how it all works. While I do agree that exalting needs a little bit of sprucing up, I do not agree that “super complicated and elaborate” is the way to go here.
3. One thing I love about FR is that a lot of things are left to interpretation. While that does create a stigma against exalting, some people 100% use it differently than the official lore. My new clan lore is going to use exaltation to indicate everything from death to moving away to fading into the background. Some people (myself included) also use exaltation as a way to “remove” a dragon from their lore, which wouldn’t work if the dragon could randomly visit.
4. I really, really don’t like the religious aspect of this. I’m not going to go into specifics, but one thing I like about this game is that it doesn’t really have pre-established religions, and what it does have is very much open to interpretation. Someone already said this a few pages back, but the deities as they are now are more like royalty than actual gods. Also, the phrase “Grace” in this context leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as does some of the other wording.
5. This was created in the early days of the game, so a lot of the reasoning behind it is no longer applicable. I don’t think the current system warrants a change this drastic and complicated, tbh.
I’m sorry, I’m going to have to say no support for a number of reasons. I won’t articulate everything since there are others out there who have said it better (especially regarding the possibility of crashing the dragon economy).

1. Exaltation’s main reason is for the health of the servers. I don’t think that something like this, which would add even more information to exalted dragons, could be implemented anytime soon, if ever.
2. It is way too complicated imo. I couldn’t even read through the entire thing, let alone figure out how it all works. While I do agree that exalting needs a little bit of sprucing up, I do not agree that “super complicated and elaborate” is the way to go here.
3. One thing I love about FR is that a lot of things are left to interpretation. While that does create a stigma against exalting, some people 100% use it differently than the official lore. My new clan lore is going to use exaltation to indicate everything from death to moving away to fading into the background. Some people (myself included) also use exaltation as a way to “remove” a dragon from their lore, which wouldn’t work if the dragon could randomly visit.
4. I really, really don’t like the religious aspect of this. I’m not going to go into specifics, but one thing I like about this game is that it doesn’t really have pre-established religions, and what it does have is very much open to interpretation. Someone already said this a few pages back, but the deities as they are now are more like royalty than actual gods. Also, the phrase “Grace” in this context leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as does some of the other wording.
5. This was created in the early days of the game, so a lot of the reasoning behind it is no longer applicable. I don’t think the current system warrants a change this drastic and complicated, tbh.
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127