Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Editable Referrals
1 2
Ability to freely remove, add, or change who your referral is. I get the idea is to reward those who got you into the game but I feel like the ability to freely change it would still be a good feature for many various scenarios.

Edit: It's been pointed out that you can already remove someone, which is arguably the most important one, so wahoo! But I'd still like the ability to add people, be it the person you used to have as your referral or a new one!
Ability to freely remove, add, or change who your referral is. I get the idea is to reward those who got you into the game but I feel like the ability to freely change it would still be a good feature for many various scenarios.

Edit: It's been pointed out that you can already remove someone, which is arguably the most important one, so wahoo! But I'd still like the ability to add people, be it the person you used to have as your referral or a new one!
Support for removing the referral- I've seen people talk about how the person who referred them is not somebody they're on good terms with- but, as far as changing it otherwise, I'm a bit baffled on what scenarios you're envisioning that it'd be helpful for?

Like... at the end of the day, one person got you to join, yeah? Or at least, one group of people, but... I don't see the logic in changing it to somebody else, especially long after the fact.
Support for removing the referral- I've seen people talk about how the person who referred them is not somebody they're on good terms with- but, as far as changing it otherwise, I'm a bit baffled on what scenarios you're envisioning that it'd be helpful for?

Like... at the end of the day, one person got you to join, yeah? Or at least, one group of people, but... I don't see the logic in changing it to somebody else, especially long after the fact.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

TLDR (Since I type a lot); Mainly just don't see an issue letting people choose who gets the bonus to their spending if they feel that person fits it. Plus some actual stuff related to referrals, be it because someone got into the game by multiple people and wants to switch it between them or someone wanting to remove and then re-add someone as their referral to pick and choose what gem packs their refereed sees / gets!

-

While the person may not have been the person to get me into FR over all, they got me into water flight and into the dom scene, which I've enjoyed immensely and probably wouldn't have done it without them (my referral in a different sense, if you wanna say!). I appreciate it a lot and forgot to mark them down as the referral person while making my account.

In the end, its my money I'm spending, what's the downside to choosing who I get to let get a bit of a bonus out of my gem buying? Its just an already built in option, I don't really see any harm in letting people choose who they want to get that little bonus whenever, is my thinking. I suppose I just don't see it as something that needs to stay locked behind the one person who referred you potentially forever ago if you think someone else this current day fits it better!

I've also seen while poking around for topics similar to this people who might have gotten into the game from multiple people wanting to switch it between them each time they buy a gem pack.

Maybe someone only wants their referral to see some of the packs but not all. This would also allow them to remove and add the same person to allow more control over exactly what someone else can see of their personal spending.

Like I said, I think there's multiple different reasons someone might want to be able to and I just don't really see any downside to it, and I think its a good thing if people can direct the gem bonus from spending where they want it to go - whenever and to whoever they want.

I think it can still be called a "referral" since it makes sense for it to incentivize marking down who got you into Flight Rising first, just for the reasons above I think it could also very easily be freely changeable!
@Renaiwom

TLDR (Since I type a lot); Mainly just don't see an issue letting people choose who gets the bonus to their spending if they feel that person fits it. Plus some actual stuff related to referrals, be it because someone got into the game by multiple people and wants to switch it between them or someone wanting to remove and then re-add someone as their referral to pick and choose what gem packs their refereed sees / gets!

-

While the person may not have been the person to get me into FR over all, they got me into water flight and into the dom scene, which I've enjoyed immensely and probably wouldn't have done it without them (my referral in a different sense, if you wanna say!). I appreciate it a lot and forgot to mark them down as the referral person while making my account.

In the end, its my money I'm spending, what's the downside to choosing who I get to let get a bit of a bonus out of my gem buying? Its just an already built in option, I don't really see any harm in letting people choose who they want to get that little bonus whenever, is my thinking. I suppose I just don't see it as something that needs to stay locked behind the one person who referred you potentially forever ago if you think someone else this current day fits it better!

I've also seen while poking around for topics similar to this people who might have gotten into the game from multiple people wanting to switch it between them each time they buy a gem pack.

Maybe someone only wants their referral to see some of the packs but not all. This would also allow them to remove and add the same person to allow more control over exactly what someone else can see of their personal spending.

Like I said, I think there's multiple different reasons someone might want to be able to and I just don't really see any downside to it, and I think its a good thing if people can direct the gem bonus from spending where they want it to go - whenever and to whoever they want.

I think it can still be called a "referral" since it makes sense for it to incentivize marking down who got you into Flight Rising first, just for the reasons above I think it could also very easily be freely changeable!
I don't really have any support for or against because it's never an issue that would affect me, but there is a remove button next to my referral. Is that not for the obvious usage of removing the referral or is it weirdly placed for something else? [img]https://i.ibb.co/k0wddB4/IMG-0560.jpg[/img] Edit: I didn't want to try the button in case it wasn't reversible and there wasn't a confirmation window
I don't really have any support for or against because it's never an issue that would affect me, but there is a remove button next to my referral. Is that not for the obvious usage of removing the referral or is it weirdly placed for something else?

IMG-0560.jpg

Edit: I didn't want to try the button in case it wasn't reversible and there wasn't a confirmation window
Untitled47-20231219225403.png
FObX7rS.png5hF3FGk.png
fDSaoY3.pngNN9NPXA.pngtqGkHih.png
Untitled48-20231219225437.png
I think this sort of defeats the purpose of referral rewards and can needlessly punish someone just because you aren't on good terms anymore. I get the idea of it being your money, but that's not necessarily the point of the system. If people can just change them at will, the referral system becomes moot. You could just change it to someone you never even referred, and then it's not even a referral anymore. It's "who do I want to give gems to today?" No support for changing a referral to other people. Part of this is already a thing, though, and I think there should be an alternative to this so people still get rewards that don't state what the person is spending (or say as much to begin with). @Astaraela so you can see what it does, but I don't know if its reversible.

However, I do disagree with how FR handles the referrals to begin with. I think referral rewards should be some set amount regardless of the package, if only for the sake of privacy at the bare minimum (which isn't good enough to me). No one needs to know how much someone is spending, and it's not hard to figure out. Especially if you only have one or two referrals.

For example, my ONE referral got some gems a couple years ago and, while he didn't make it unknown that he bought a bunch of gems (he doesn't care what anyone thinks), it's still really uncomfortable being able to just know what he's spending, when, and how often. I find it a bit creepy even though it's nothing that I can really turn off in terms of the messages themselves, but I obviously still want the rewards because I did refer him. With a set amount given per purchase, at the minimum, you can't tell what they're spending. They could be getting 5$ in gems or 100$ and you'd never know. It's better than the current system.

I do think that there are also even more private ways to go about this, but those are more based on activity/login than purchase amount (and I think that's a better incentive for referrals anyway because a person coming back repeatedly is going to do more in the long haul... but I digress). I just think there are better ways for FR to do referrals entirely because, as it stands, it's not as private with spending habits as it should be. I don't like referrals being linked to spending. At all, and I'm not even referred by anyone.
I think this sort of defeats the purpose of referral rewards and can needlessly punish someone just because you aren't on good terms anymore. I get the idea of it being your money, but that's not necessarily the point of the system. If people can just change them at will, the referral system becomes moot. You could just change it to someone you never even referred, and then it's not even a referral anymore. It's "who do I want to give gems to today?" No support for changing a referral to other people. Part of this is already a thing, though, and I think there should be an alternative to this so people still get rewards that don't state what the person is spending (or say as much to begin with). @Astaraela so you can see what it does, but I don't know if its reversible.

However, I do disagree with how FR handles the referrals to begin with. I think referral rewards should be some set amount regardless of the package, if only for the sake of privacy at the bare minimum (which isn't good enough to me). No one needs to know how much someone is spending, and it's not hard to figure out. Especially if you only have one or two referrals.

For example, my ONE referral got some gems a couple years ago and, while he didn't make it unknown that he bought a bunch of gems (he doesn't care what anyone thinks), it's still really uncomfortable being able to just know what he's spending, when, and how often. I find it a bit creepy even though it's nothing that I can really turn off in terms of the messages themselves, but I obviously still want the rewards because I did refer him. With a set amount given per purchase, at the minimum, you can't tell what they're spending. They could be getting 5$ in gems or 100$ and you'd never know. It's better than the current system.

I do think that there are also even more private ways to go about this, but those are more based on activity/login than purchase amount (and I think that's a better incentive for referrals anyway because a person coming back repeatedly is going to do more in the long haul... but I digress). I just think there are better ways for FR to do referrals entirely because, as it stands, it's not as private with spending habits as it should be. I don't like referrals being linked to spending. At all, and I'm not even referred by anyone.
@Astaraela Oh thanks! Didn't realize they had already implemented one! (All the threads I could find where about wanting the ability to remove one and I've never put down a referral)

@Lykos Its not needlessly punishing someone. No one is, for lack of a better word though I feel it's too harsh, entitled to gems off a person. Now that I know you can already remove someone anyway I just don't see why we shouldn't be able to just slot in a new person; it already kinda just makes the two points fall even further flat to me, I can already make my referral person not get the rewards and I can already "punish" them if we're not on good terms (by removing them). And that's a good thing, I should have control over who's attached to my spending.

And yeah I've seen people talk about randomizing the gem amount, doing it all at once at the end of the month so you can't really math out how much or how often someone is spending etc, and I do think those are also good! I'm unsure on which method I'd like the best but I do think something needs to be done.

If the current system changes to be based more on activity I will say this suggestion would (probably? It'd depend) be taken back, I'm mainly only suggesting it because the system already exists and I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to freely change my referral!
@Astaraela Oh thanks! Didn't realize they had already implemented one! (All the threads I could find where about wanting the ability to remove one and I've never put down a referral)

@Lykos Its not needlessly punishing someone. No one is, for lack of a better word though I feel it's too harsh, entitled to gems off a person. Now that I know you can already remove someone anyway I just don't see why we shouldn't be able to just slot in a new person; it already kinda just makes the two points fall even further flat to me, I can already make my referral person not get the rewards and I can already "punish" them if we're not on good terms (by removing them). And that's a good thing, I should have control over who's attached to my spending.

And yeah I've seen people talk about randomizing the gem amount, doing it all at once at the end of the month so you can't really math out how much or how often someone is spending etc, and I do think those are also good! I'm unsure on which method I'd like the best but I do think something needs to be done.

If the current system changes to be based more on activity I will say this suggestion would (probably? It'd depend) be taken back, I'm mainly only suggesting it because the system already exists and I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to freely change my referral!
I don't really see the problem with this, tbh. I've had some really bad fallings-out with people on FR on they-were-abusive-as-hell tier of bad times, and if I bought gems and had them as a referral, I don't think I would continue buying gems because I would really not want them to get any.

Sure, we can remove it, but what if we reframe our thinking a bit? Instead of "why reward someone who didn't actually refer you to the game/punish someone for falling out", how about "why not reward someone who kept you in the game?" Rewarding signups is great, but long-term retention is rare in any game, so being able to switch my thereotical referral from someone who I've ended up on horrible terms with, or hasn't played in 10 years, to someone who has introduced me to features and gameplay styles that kept me in the game for years, that feels like a good thing.
I don't really see the problem with this, tbh. I've had some really bad fallings-out with people on FR on they-were-abusive-as-hell tier of bad times, and if I bought gems and had them as a referral, I don't think I would continue buying gems because I would really not want them to get any.

Sure, we can remove it, but what if we reframe our thinking a bit? Instead of "why reward someone who didn't actually refer you to the game/punish someone for falling out", how about "why not reward someone who kept you in the game?" Rewarding signups is great, but long-term retention is rare in any game, so being able to switch my thereotical referral from someone who I've ended up on horrible terms with, or hasn't played in 10 years, to someone who has introduced me to features and gameplay styles that kept me in the game for years, that feels like a good thing.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
@Comical

Like I said, I think it defeats the purpose of referrals when you could just slot in someone who never referred you in the first place, but we can agree to disagree. The point of referrals is to reward someone for bringing another person to the site, and this wouldn't accomplish that by letting someone just add in another person who was unrelated to that referral (because most people would just do it for the benefits, not because the person actually referred them).

As said, FR does this in a fashion I think is less than ideal. It's an uncomfortable situation for anyone involved. I wish they'd just overhaul it entirely so that the concern about what a person spends and how often can be entirely trashed. Maybe based on user logs in for x days (not cumulative?) and you get a certain reward. If you get up to a year of play off that referred account, maybe you get more gems for it. I just really dislike the current system as a whole.
@Comical

Like I said, I think it defeats the purpose of referrals when you could just slot in someone who never referred you in the first place, but we can agree to disagree. The point of referrals is to reward someone for bringing another person to the site, and this wouldn't accomplish that by letting someone just add in another person who was unrelated to that referral (because most people would just do it for the benefits, not because the person actually referred them).

As said, FR does this in a fashion I think is less than ideal. It's an uncomfortable situation for anyone involved. I wish they'd just overhaul it entirely so that the concern about what a person spends and how often can be entirely trashed. Maybe based on user logs in for x days (not cumulative?) and you get a certain reward. If you get up to a year of play off that referred account, maybe you get more gems for it. I just really dislike the current system as a whole.
@Tserin Pretty much exactly my thinking with giving my personal example! That persons gotten me into new facets of the site and kept me playing in ways I wouldn’t have before! I’d feel better about spending (not that I feel bad about it or anything, just an extra bonus!) knowing my buddy gets a kick out of it too!

@Lykos I do think it is just an agree to disagree situation as I’ve already explained why I think it doesn’t but the input is valuable either way! I’m unsure what exactly they should change it to because ultimately I don’t think the current system is bad as long as people have more control over it + it’d be a different suggestion all together then this one (which is why I’m not really going too much into it), but it could have some interesting discussions!
@Tserin Pretty much exactly my thinking with giving my personal example! That persons gotten me into new facets of the site and kept me playing in ways I wouldn’t have before! I’d feel better about spending (not that I feel bad about it or anything, just an extra bonus!) knowing my buddy gets a kick out of it too!

@Lykos I do think it is just an agree to disagree situation as I’ve already explained why I think it doesn’t but the input is valuable either way! I’m unsure what exactly they should change it to because ultimately I don’t think the current system is bad as long as people have more control over it + it’d be a different suggestion all together then this one (which is why I’m not really going too much into it), but it could have some interesting discussions!
Support

Reasons why this would be good:
- If you sign up but can't remember the EXACT username of your referrer (this is my case), this would let you add them afterwards when you make sure the name is correct
- You joined because of a group, but the group member you listed is no longer active but the others are
- You quit playing, but someone brought you back to the game
- You and the old referrer had a falling out and they are no longer why you play, but you would like to instead list someone you are playing with/for

The last is more my preference as I feel "referrers" should be a person you play because of, even if they weren't the original person who got you playing, but other people may not agree with that (since it's not the literal definition)
Support

Reasons why this would be good:
- If you sign up but can't remember the EXACT username of your referrer (this is my case), this would let you add them afterwards when you make sure the name is correct
- You joined because of a group, but the group member you listed is no longer active but the others are
- You quit playing, but someone brought you back to the game
- You and the old referrer had a falling out and they are no longer why you play, but you would like to instead list someone you are playing with/for

The last is more my preference as I feel "referrers" should be a person you play because of, even if they weren't the original person who got you playing, but other people may not agree with that (since it's not the literal definition)
Need a fodder trainer build? Try one of these:
Kelp Beds - Leviathan Leveler - 2 Fodder Trainer
GLR + Mire - Ghire Gorer - 2 Fodder
Mire - Mire Mauler - 2 Fodder
GLR - Ruin Wrecker - 2 Fodder Trainer
Boreal Wood- Boreal Banisher - 2 Fodder Trainer
Harpy's Roost - Roost Rustler - 2 Fodder Trainer
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
1 2