Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change "Riot" to "Rot"
1 2 3 4
No support. Somebody mentioned the naming scheme that would be broken if it was changed to "rot" and I 100% agree.
No support. Somebody mentioned the naming scheme that would be broken if it was changed to "rot" and I 100% agree.
I get people being like 'it's not that important' or 'it's not offensive so it's good enough just leave it' but its also not complicated to change a line of text.

The gene should be the flight related word, not the synonym for festival, as the rest of the genes have been. Those saying that the naming scheme would be broken, changing it to riot is what broke it. The genes are named after the flight word, why is plague treated differently? The marigold was correctly named as we can see., and now the gene doesn't match while all the others have been pairs. The staff seem to have just gotten weird about putting 'rot' on a dragon.

It's like if the others were jubilee, carnival, festival, celebration, etc. It just doesn't fit.
I get people being like 'it's not that important' or 'it's not offensive so it's good enough just leave it' but its also not complicated to change a line of text.

The gene should be the flight related word, not the synonym for festival, as the rest of the genes have been. Those saying that the naming scheme would be broken, changing it to riot is what broke it. The genes are named after the flight word, why is plague treated differently? The marigold was correctly named as we can see., and now the gene doesn't match while all the others have been pairs. The staff seem to have just gotten weird about putting 'rot' on a dragon.

It's like if the others were jubilee, carnival, festival, celebration, etc. It just doesn't fit.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
[quote name="AnnieFelis" date="2023-10-23 03:22:19" ] No support. Somebody mentioned the naming scheme that would be broken if it was changed to "rot" and I 100% agree. [/quote] people mention this naming scheme as if it's a well-established thing but... as far as i can tell, it's riot of rot that determines what naming scheme there even is? for all other flights, the flight-related word and the first word in the fest name are the same thing. it's just riot of rot where that isn't the case, so essentially you end up having to choose which pattern to maintain - riot, to maintain the pattern of all first words, or rot, to maintain the pattern of all flight-related words. you're breaking a naming scheme either way, and i feel like because we're talking about events that are specifically meant to celebrate each flight, the connection to those flights themselves is more important to keep in the gene names than a reference to the way in which the genes were released. again, in all cases but one this isn't even a choice that needs to be made... but in the one case where picking one of the two [i]is[/i] necessary, i'm of the opinion that the option which more explicitly references the flight being celebrated in the event and also the gene itself is better than the option which has a much less direct connection.
AnnieFelis wrote on 2023-10-23 03:22:19:
people mention this naming scheme as if it's a well-established thing but... as far as i can tell, it's riot of rot that determines what naming scheme there even is?

for all other flights, the flight-related word and the first word in the fest name are the same thing. it's just riot of rot where that isn't the case, so essentially you end up having to choose which pattern to maintain - riot, to maintain the pattern of all first words, or rot, to maintain the pattern of all flight-related words.

you're breaking a naming scheme either way, and i feel like because we're talking about events that are specifically meant to celebrate each flight, the connection to those flights themselves is more important to keep in the gene names than a reference to the way in which the genes were released. again, in all cases but one this isn't even a choice that needs to be made... but in the one case where picking one of the two is necessary, i'm of the opinion that the option which more explicitly references the flight being celebrated in the event and also the gene itself is better than the option which has a much less direct connection.
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
No support. Perhaps if the gene itself invoked rot/decay (but I respect that the artists didn't want to take it in that direction), changing it to Rot wouldn't bother me. As it stands though, the gene appears to be more in line with mutation. I feel like changing it to Rot would be a misrepresentation- and I feel like that would bother at least some quite a bit! Ultimately, I'll admit this is a bit of a lose-lose situation, as I fully understand why others want it changed.
No support. Perhaps if the gene itself invoked rot/decay (but I respect that the artists didn't want to take it in that direction), changing it to Rot wouldn't bother me. As it stands though, the gene appears to be more in line with mutation. I feel like changing it to Rot would be a misrepresentation- and I feel like that would bother at least some quite a bit! Ultimately, I'll admit this is a bit of a lose-lose situation, as I fully understand why others want it changed.
From a personal stance, I tend to stay away from the site during the Riot of Rot due to a very strong phobia of decay. I can't actually look at most of the Plague-themed skins without getting nauseous. Most of the time I can just avoid Plague imagery pretty well, but I was pretty worried about the gene. Luckily, it's fine. Not my favorite, but not actively rotting or diseased-looking. And that's why I prefer Riot-- it still evokes Plague Flight without getting into... like, implying your dragons are actively decaying on you.
I know my phobia is a complete me problem, and Plague is a part of the site's content, but. I do appreciate the staff taking this tack with the gene.
From a personal stance, I tend to stay away from the site during the Riot of Rot due to a very strong phobia of decay. I can't actually look at most of the Plague-themed skins without getting nauseous. Most of the time I can just avoid Plague imagery pretty well, but I was pretty worried about the gene. Luckily, it's fine. Not my favorite, but not actively rotting or diseased-looking. And that's why I prefer Riot-- it still evokes Plague Flight without getting into... like, implying your dragons are actively decaying on you.
I know my phobia is a complete me problem, and Plague is a part of the site's content, but. I do appreciate the staff taking this tack with the gene.
Two hours ahead of FR time. ey/em/eirs | it/its
No support from me.

I have minimal issues with the Plague aesthetic (I mean I'm currently vacationing in Plague for a reason).
However, I really don't think that we need to name Riot "Rot". We don't call the Plague Festivat "Rot", we call it "Riot", "RoR", or its full name. Furthermore, as Suzuran said, naming it Rot kinda implies your dragon is in fact, rotting.
Which Staff generally tries to avoid, even with genes like Jewel or Gembond that are literally pustules and a disease.
The Genes have been the name of the Festival, not necessarily the Elemental portion.
No support from me.

I have minimal issues with the Plague aesthetic (I mean I'm currently vacationing in Plague for a reason).
However, I really don't think that we need to name Riot "Rot". We don't call the Plague Festivat "Rot", we call it "Riot", "RoR", or its full name. Furthermore, as Suzuran said, naming it Rot kinda implies your dragon is in fact, rotting.
Which Staff generally tries to avoid, even with genes like Jewel or Gembond that are literally pustules and a disease.
The Genes have been the name of the Festival, not necessarily the Elemental portion.
#UnnamedIsValid
My pronouns are xe/xim/xir/xirself.
Wishlist on the dragon
61671499.png Dragon Purchase Preference Poll
Closes 12:01 server time. Sept 1st.
[quote name="KitsuneXIII" date="2023-10-24 15:47:20" ] No support from me. I have minimal issues with the Plague aesthetic (I mean I'm currently vacationing in Plague for a reason). However, I really don't think that we need to name Riot "Rot". We don't call the Plague Festivat "Rot", we call it "Riot", "RoR", or its full name. Furthermore, as Suzuran said, naming it Rot kinda implies your dragon is in fact, rotting. Which Staff generally tries to avoid, even with genes like Jewel or Gembond that are literally pustules and a disease. The Genes have been the name of the Festival, not necessarily the Elemental portion. [/quote] Agreeing with this--all of the gene names so far has been what the players generally call the festival (but I suppose we'll see when January comes around whether we get Tertiary: Crystalline or Tertiary: Gala, as Ice is fairly firm that we celebrate the Gla).
KitsuneXIII wrote on 2023-10-24 15:47:20:
No support from me.

Agreeing with this--all of the gene names so far has been what the players generally call the festival (but I suppose we'll see when January comes around whether we get Tertiary: Crystalline or Tertiary: Gala, as Ice is fairly firm that we celebrate the Gla).
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
@flipthefrog

Gala would be a lot less confusing than Crystalline too, because we already have a gene called Crystal.

We're absolutely celebrating Rockbreaker's on our end, so it's not us that's gonna solve the debate :)
@flipthefrog

Gala would be a lot less confusing than Crystalline too, because we already have a gene called Crystal.

We're absolutely celebrating Rockbreaker's on our end, so it's not us that's gonna solve the debate :)
Support. Naming it "Riot" just sounds wrong
Support. Naming it "Riot" just sounds wrong
Yeeeeeeeeeeet
My Long Drop
My Godlocke

Try out the Hungerlocke!
1 2 3 4