Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change "Riot" to "Rot"
1 2 3 4
While I understand that a dragon with "Rot" would be interpreted as the dragon being injured/in pain, which the staff are very much against, Jewels are literally massive pustules. If a dragon can have huge infected blisters, then it can have "Rot."

Naming the gene "Riot" instead of "Rot" also disrupts the naming scheme of using the descriptor for the festival type.
While I understand that a dragon with "Rot" would be interpreted as the dragon being injured/in pain, which the staff are very much against, Jewels are literally massive pustules. If a dragon can have huge infected blisters, then it can have "Rot."

Naming the gene "Riot" instead of "Rot" also disrupts the naming scheme of using the descriptor for the festival type.
: +3
: Yes

Discord:
Museless_
SRtoOYm.gif
FAzNnJZ.gif
Agreed and support.
Agreed and support.
nsCMFWv.png - Coliseum Grinding
- Dragon Leveling
- Level 25 Sales
- Nest Rentals
- Dressing Room
- And more!
.... aKOKQlM.png
Tentative support? I'm a bit confused now about whether the staff are using the descriptor or just the first word of each festival as the name, the use of "riot" in this case would suggest the latter but as you said maybe they are using descriptors but "rot" is just too squicky for some reason for the staff to want to use for a gene name? But we have plague-adjacent apparel pieces with the word "rot" in them so I'm not sure honestly *sigh*
Tentative support? I'm a bit confused now about whether the staff are using the descriptor or just the first word of each festival as the name, the use of "riot" in this case would suggest the latter but as you said maybe they are using descriptors but "rot" is just too squicky for some reason for the staff to want to use for a gene name? But we have plague-adjacent apparel pieces with the word "rot" in them so I'm not sure honestly *sigh*
e3vuD1x.png
I actually think the gene is better as "Riot" than as "Rot".
I actually think the gene is better as "Riot" than as "Rot".
[quote name="NatsuWolf" date="2023-10-22 08:29:48" ] Tentative support? I'm a bit confused now about whether the staff are using the descriptor or just the first word of each festival as the name, the use of "riot" in this case would suggest the latter but as you said maybe they are using descriptors but "rot" is just too squicky for some reason for the staff to want to use for a gene name? But we have plague-adjacent apparel pieces with the word "rot" in them so I'm not sure honestly *sigh* [/quote] More specifically, the devs are fine using rot as a word, but there is precedent for them using "Riot" as well— [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3268984/1#post_54963191]in this comment in a discussion thread about the name[/url] it was pointed out that the Riot Hazebeacon also follows a similar trend, and is probably based on terms they decided then (as Rot Hazebeacon would also fit, due to being a bird who looks like almost all the flesh has decayed off of, though logistically and going by the Ghostlight enemies that's probably its natural state). As pointed out in the same thread, Riot of Rot is the only three-word festival name with the festival word first, which means that no matter what they choose it'll end up "singled out" by one method or another. I am entirely neutral on this suggestion; I don't care what the genes are called. I just wanted to point out historical precedent and Riot of Rot [i]already[/i] being different from the other festivals by virtue of not being Rotten/Rotting Riot.
NatsuWolf wrote on 2023-10-22 08:29:48:

More specifically, the devs are fine using rot as a word, but there is precedent for them using "Riot" as well— in this comment in a discussion thread about the name it was pointed out that the Riot Hazebeacon also follows a similar trend, and is probably based on terms they decided then (as Rot Hazebeacon would also fit, due to being a bird who looks like almost all the flesh has decayed off of, though logistically and going by the Ghostlight enemies that's probably its natural state). As pointed out in the same thread, Riot of Rot is the only three-word festival name with the festival word first, which means that no matter what they choose it'll end up "singled out" by one method or another.

I am entirely neutral on this suggestion; I don't care what the genes are called. I just wanted to point out historical precedent and Riot of Rot already being different from the other festivals by virtue of not being Rotten/Rotting Riot.
[quote name="mothscale" date="2023-10-22 08:38:33" ] [quote name="NatsuWolf" date="2023-10-22 08:29:48" ] Tentative support? I'm a bit confused now about whether the staff are using the descriptor or just the first word of each festival as the name, the use of "riot" in this case would suggest the latter but as you said maybe they are using descriptors but "rot" is just too squicky for some reason for the staff to want to use for a gene name? But we have plague-adjacent apparel pieces with the word "rot" in them so I'm not sure honestly *sigh* [/quote] More specifically, the devs are fine using rot as a word, but there is precedent for them using "Riot" as well— [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3268984/1#post_54963191]in this comment in a discussion thread about the name[/url] it was pointed out that the Riot Hazebeacon also follows a similar trend, and is probably based on terms they decided then (as Rot Hazebeacon would also fit, due to being a bird who looks like almost all the flesh has decayed off of, though logistically and going by the Ghostlight enemies that's probably its natural state). As pointed out in the same thread, Riot of Rot is the only three-word festival name with the festival word first, which means that no matter what they choose it'll end up "singled out" by one method or another. I am entirely neutral on this suggestion; I don't care what the genes are called. I just wanted to point out historical precedent and Riot of Rot [i]already[/i] being different from the other festivals by virtue of not being Rotten/Rotting Riot. [/quote] Ohh you're right, I totally forgot about the riot hazebeacon! So I guess there is already a quasi-precedent for the use of "riot" instead of "rot" in this type of naming scheme... Ugh but then according to that post they went and completely dropped the naming theme after riot hazebeacon? I hate that lol I really hope they won't do that with the genes, it will very much upset me if they aren't consistent all the way through. Same with riot v rot, I don't really have any druthers which they use, as long as whatever they pick is consistent with the overall naming scheme they are using.
mothscale wrote on 2023-10-22 08:38:33:
NatsuWolf wrote on 2023-10-22 08:29:48:

More specifically, the devs are fine using rot as a word, but there is precedent for them using "Riot" as well— in this comment in a discussion thread about the name it was pointed out that the Riot Hazebeacon also follows a similar trend, and is probably based on terms they decided then (as Rot Hazebeacon would also fit, due to being a bird who looks like almost all the flesh has decayed off of, though logistically and going by the Ghostlight enemies that's probably its natural state). As pointed out in the same thread, Riot of Rot is the only three-word festival name with the festival word first, which means that no matter what they choose it'll end up "singled out" by one method or another.

I am entirely neutral on this suggestion; I don't care what the genes are called. I just wanted to point out historical precedent and Riot of Rot already being different from the other festivals by virtue of not being Rotten/Rotting Riot.

Ohh you're right, I totally forgot about the riot hazebeacon! So I guess there is already a quasi-precedent for the use of "riot" instead of "rot" in this type of naming scheme...

Ugh but then according to that post they went and completely dropped the naming theme after riot hazebeacon? I hate that lol I really hope they won't do that with the genes, it will very much upset me if they aren't consistent all the way through.

Same with riot v rot, I don't really have any druthers which they use, as long as whatever they pick is consistent with the overall naming scheme they are using.
e3vuD1x.png
Changing it to "Rot" would break the naming scheme of using the first word in the name of the Festival.

Brightshine Jubilee
Thundercrack Carnival
Flameforger's Festival
Starfall Celebration
Riot of Rot
Changing it to "Rot" would break the naming scheme of using the first word in the name of the Festival.

Brightshine Jubilee
Thundercrack Carnival
Flameforger's Festival
Starfall Celebration
Riot of Rot
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I would support this, but I doubt it would happen.

Essentially, the debate is basically just a matter of whether a person feels using the first word is more important or using the elemental term is more important.

Personally, I prefer the elemental term, as I feel like the name 'Rot' suits the gene better and the overall naming scheme feels more consistent with Rot. But those saying they're just using the first word are probably right. Even if I'd prefer it differently.
I would support this, but I doubt it would happen.

Essentially, the debate is basically just a matter of whether a person feels using the first word is more important or using the elemental term is more important.

Personally, I prefer the elemental term, as I feel like the name 'Rot' suits the gene better and the overall naming scheme feels more consistent with Rot. But those saying they're just using the first word are probably right. Even if I'd prefer it differently.
[quote name="Zenzic" date="2023-10-22 09:10:50" ] Changing it to "Rot" would break the naming scheme of using the first word in the name of the Festival. Brightshine Jubilee Thundercrack Carnival Flameforger's Festival Starfall Celebration Riot of Rot [/quote] counterargument: keeping it as "riot" breaks the naming scheme of using the flight-related word in the festival name regardless, support. i have a lot of thoughts about this but really it mostly comes down to "this is an inconsistency which i personally find very annoying, and also it's a little sad plague's festival gene isn't directly named after plague now"
Zenzic wrote on 2023-10-22 09:10:50:

Brightshine Jubilee
Thundercrack Carnival
Flameforger's Festival
Starfall Celebration
Riot of Rot
counterargument: keeping it as "riot" breaks the naming scheme of using the flight-related word in the festival name

regardless, support. i have a lot of thoughts about this but really it mostly comes down to "this is an inconsistency which i personally find very annoying, and also it's a little sad plague's festival gene isn't directly named after plague now"
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
[quote name="Limanya" date="2023-10-22 09:38:53" ] counterargument: keeping it as "riot" breaks the naming scheme of using the flight-related word in the festival name [/quote] Uh... Yeeah, but the Plague Festival's name being the odd one out is something that's been set in stone since... Well, forever. They've named the set with this naming scheme regardless.
Limanya wrote on 2023-10-22 09:38:53:
counterargument: keeping it as "riot" breaks the naming scheme of using the flight-related word in the festival name

Uh... Yeeah, but the Plague Festival's name being the odd one out is something that's been set in stone since... Well, forever. They've named the set with this naming scheme regardless.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
1 2 3 4