Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | rp petpeeves
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Vocabulary like “crystal optics” instead of “eyes”. I can’t remember any other examples off the top of my head, but I know there’s a lot more. I remember seeing that stuff in, like, 2012. Why are people still doing it now?? It just reads like someone trying to sound well-written without having any idea how to do that.
Vocabulary like “crystal optics” instead of “eyes”. I can’t remember any other examples off the top of my head, but I know there’s a lot more. I remember seeing that stuff in, like, 2012. Why are people still doing it now?? It just reads like someone trying to sound well-written without having any idea how to do that.
[quote name="Pandacow" date="2022-03-10 11:21:48" ] Vocabulary like “crystal optics” instead of “eyes”. I can’t remember any other examples off the top of my head, but I know there’s a lot more. I remember seeing that stuff in, like, 2012. Why are people still doing it now?? It just reads like someone trying to sound well-written without having any idea how to do that. [/quote] oh god yes. that and purple prose too. i've always known this as "wolfspeak." words like "banner" for tail, "radars" for ears, "pillars" for legs, and just weirdly elaborate words to describe gender like "dame" or "sire" and things along those lines. i too thought it was starting to go away, but i've actually been starting to see it again on roblox in games like WCUE. like... lol. you don't sound as smart as you think you are when you rp like that
Pandacow wrote on 2022-03-10 11:21:48:

oh god yes. that and purple prose too. i've always known this as "wolfspeak." words like "banner" for tail, "radars" for ears, "pillars" for legs, and just weirdly elaborate words to describe gender like "dame" or "sire" and things along those lines. i too thought it was starting to go away, but i've actually been starting to see it again on roblox in games like WCUE. like... lol. you don't sound as smart as you think you are when you rp like that
y6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
[quote name="Coolkid" date="2022-03-10 08:53:51" ] [quote name="@VoidEnvoy" date="2022-03-10 06:40:07" ]AC checks are the worst. I remember a discord roleplay I joined a while ago that required you to COUNT SENTENCES. LIKE WHY.[/quote] NOO WHYY?? i always see discord rp as like.. more casual just due to format but ive never seen sentence counting outside of rps that were almost always never worth it anyways!! i just wanna have fun times not worry about counts for things aauugghh it's like, one of my sites just lifted the requirement to describe the appearance of your character in 200 words, which isn't bad but it sure as heck can be repetitive if said character is literally just a normal earth animal. this dog is very... dog. thank you for coming to my character's profile ive gotten into a bad habit of overdescribing literally because of that old requirement too [/quote] Seriously... Personally I do like to do detailed stuff in discord, but like... AC checks like that are just so annoying. I understand wanting to make sure that your playerbase is active but by stressing them out they're only gonna scare possible members away. :// So I don't get why they do it. Personally in my own server I literally just ask people to list out their characters on a monthly basis and that's it. That's the AC. Simple, easy and it helps us keep track of stuff. Kinda wish other RPs did the same. edit: typos
Coolkid wrote on 2022-03-10 08:53:51:
@VoidEnvoy wrote on 2022-03-10 06:40:07:
AC checks are the worst. I remember a discord roleplay I joined a while ago that required you to COUNT SENTENCES. LIKE WHY.

NOO WHYY?? i always see discord rp as like.. more casual just due to format but ive never seen sentence counting outside of rps that were almost always never worth it anyways!! i just wanna have fun times not worry about counts for things aauugghh

it's like, one of my sites just lifted the requirement to describe the appearance of your character in 200 words, which isn't bad but it sure as heck can be repetitive if said character is literally just a normal earth animal. this dog is very... dog. thank you for coming to my character's profile

ive gotten into a bad habit of overdescribing literally because of that old requirement too

Seriously... Personally I do like to do detailed stuff in discord, but like... AC checks like that are just so annoying. I understand wanting to make sure that your playerbase is active but by stressing them out they're only gonna scare possible members away. :// So I don't get why they do it.

Personally in my own server I literally just ask people to list out their characters on a monthly basis and that's it. That's the AC. Simple, easy and it helps us keep track of stuff. Kinda wish other RPs did the same.

edit: typos
FeAvgNm.png
Khos/Khoshekh, VoidEnvoy
DMs Open, I do not accept random friend requests.
People who have some strict rules for their rp and then claim they're laid back and casual. It's fine to want strict guidelines and it's fine to want things to be casual. Pick one. Let us know what we're in for.

When I read welcome/intro messages like that I'm thinking that either enforcement is going to be spotty (and probably based on whether a mod knows you) or that the leadership doesn't know how they want the rp to run.
People who have some strict rules for their rp and then claim they're laid back and casual. It's fine to want strict guidelines and it's fine to want things to be casual. Pick one. Let us know what we're in for.

When I read welcome/intro messages like that I'm thinking that either enforcement is going to be spotty (and probably based on whether a mod knows you) or that the leadership doesn't know how they want the rp to run.
she/her | 37 | cst
*ahem*

writer’s block

*screams*
*ahem*

writer’s block

*screams*
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png
7gibfJe.png
ZwbGqUa.png
luMBIla.png
lAvpyOQ.png
5vnsOgE.png
lB92wkt.png
WKH2C9p.png
co3WWXY.png 4SVfFPD.png
40QQWBU.png
hX7nLTH.gif
When the DM doesn’t let us do anything, just dragging us along on his little railroad. RP’d with a guy who did this TWICE, and neither time was any fun.
When the DM doesn’t let us do anything, just dragging us along on his little railroad. RP’d with a guy who did this TWICE, and neither time was any fun.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
people who act like you dont exist simply because youre not in their circle of friends or whatever

insta healing when it makes no sense for their character, only out of convenience
i make a perfect plot hook, and they just ignore it with three word replies

people who act like you dont exist simply because youre not in their circle of friends or whatever

insta healing when it makes no sense for their character, only out of convenience
i make a perfect plot hook, and they just ignore it with three word replies

when you're in a combat scene and the other person just makes their character stupid OP for no reason, dodging all the attacks and stuff

when i rp combat i like to keep my characters pretty average, but then the person i'm doing it with will just be like "he dodges the attack and retaliates by stabbing [name] in the stomach" .
how am i supposed to react to that agsahdhd
when you're in a combat scene and the other person just makes their character stupid OP for no reason, dodging all the attacks and stuff

when i rp combat i like to keep my characters pretty average, but then the person i'm doing it with will just be like "he dodges the attack and retaliates by stabbing [name] in the stomach" .
how am i supposed to react to that agsahdhd
MUYNhfy.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
When someone kills your OC while you're offline and can't defend yourself. (ESPECIALLY when you're not even inactive) [emoji=ridgeback deadpan size=1]
When someone kills your OC while you're offline and can't defend yourself. (ESPECIALLY when you're not even inactive)
A pixel sprite of a clown waving her arms up and down
clowning
was MissNevermind
Man, this thread enlightened me, tbh. I was pretty much all of these things as a child and still am now. I gave up Rping a long time ago, but an online friend on another site got me into trying it again, which man, I knew I shouldn't have, but decided to just try since it was a fandom RP.

As a kid, I didn't know anything about Internet lingo, so never heard of RPs, so yeah, I was definitely cringy, lol. Still am now, tbh. I don't RP, so don't worry about me asking, pfft.

I have some pet peeves, though, and while they may not be exactly RP based, they're getting on my nerves and would hands down turn me away from one.

People "lazy speaking": "u r in a city looking 4 smthng", no full words, grammar, punctuation, etc. Sorry, but I do want to read your posts in something close to English. Things such as "lol, idk" and such are fine, but would it kill you to type full words? 2 does NOT equal "too" or "to".

Also, small and/or bright fonts! On another site, the background is white, and you can't change it onsite without browser addons, and people think it's good to use pastel pink, size 1 fonts. I have horrible vision, and can't read that! Do they even know that not everyone has perfect vision?!
Man, this thread enlightened me, tbh. I was pretty much all of these things as a child and still am now. I gave up Rping a long time ago, but an online friend on another site got me into trying it again, which man, I knew I shouldn't have, but decided to just try since it was a fandom RP.

As a kid, I didn't know anything about Internet lingo, so never heard of RPs, so yeah, I was definitely cringy, lol. Still am now, tbh. I don't RP, so don't worry about me asking, pfft.

I have some pet peeves, though, and while they may not be exactly RP based, they're getting on my nerves and would hands down turn me away from one.

People "lazy speaking": "u r in a city looking 4 smthng", no full words, grammar, punctuation, etc. Sorry, but I do want to read your posts in something close to English. Things such as "lol, idk" and such are fine, but would it kill you to type full words? 2 does NOT equal "too" or "to".

Also, small and/or bright fonts! On another site, the background is white, and you can't change it onsite without browser addons, and people think it's good to use pastel pink, size 1 fonts. I have horrible vision, and can't read that! Do they even know that not everyone has perfect vision?!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10