Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | TV/Movie Thing That Drives You Crazy
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
the whole 'prey is good, predators are bad' thing, and 'dogs are good, cats are bad'
the whole 'prey is good, predators are bad' thing, and 'dogs are good, cats are bad'
she/he/they | fr + 3
  • Anything that utilises poor/lack of communication as a plot device.
  • That trope where "unfeminine" female characters have a "feminine" trait purely to reassure viewers that the character is a Real Woman™. Bonus points if that feminine trait is wanting children.
  • Honestly, female characters suddenly wanting babies when previous characterisation showed them as being uninterested.
  • Characters having kids in the middle of dealing with a world-ending threat/whatever.
  • Intelligent creatures that aren't conventionally cute or pretty either always turning out to be evil, and/or cannon fodder for the "heroes" to mow down. It's even worse if they're shown to be sapient. :\
  • @/Matou's post reminded me that I hate the prey = good, predator = bad trope as well.
  • Humans Are Special.
  • Anything that utilises poor/lack of communication as a plot device.
  • That trope where "unfeminine" female characters have a "feminine" trait purely to reassure viewers that the character is a Real Woman™. Bonus points if that feminine trait is wanting children.
  • Honestly, female characters suddenly wanting babies when previous characterisation showed them as being uninterested.
  • Characters having kids in the middle of dealing with a world-ending threat/whatever.
  • Intelligent creatures that aren't conventionally cute or pretty either always turning out to be evil, and/or cannon fodder for the "heroes" to mow down. It's even worse if they're shown to be sapient. :\
  • @/Matou's post reminded me that I hate the prey = good, predator = bad trope as well.
  • Humans Are Special.
@Matou I am SO tired of people saying (in general) that cats are aloof and don't want your attention.

You either (A) have the wrong cat for your personality type, or (B) you must be mistreating them.
@Matou I am SO tired of people saying (in general) that cats are aloof and don't want your attention.

You either (A) have the wrong cat for your personality type, or (B) you must be mistreating them.
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
@Seadramon (waves a hand) I'm guilty of number four.

In my last novel, my protag was giving birth while her island was being invaded. O.o
@Seadramon (waves a hand) I'm guilty of number four.

In my last novel, my protag was giving birth while her island was being invaded. O.o
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
[quote name="GreatLordHades" date="2018-08-30 14:12:00" ] [quote name="PardonPopplio" date="2018-08-30 12:28:54" ] The "Bury your Gays" trope is something that ticks me off, if your community is literally only there for the representation. oh and,,, things happening without foreshadowing [/quote] i can feel heavy voltron shade being thrown here [/quote] we feelin the salt in this club tonight fellas
GreatLordHades wrote on 2018-08-30 14:12:00:
PardonPopplio wrote on 2018-08-30 12:28:54:
The "Bury your Gays" trope is something that ticks me off, if your community is literally only there for the representation.

oh and,,, things happening without foreshadowing
i can feel heavy voltron shade being thrown here
we feelin the salt in this club tonight fellas
zidanerun.gif b / zid - they/them
- Annoying mascots.

That little fairy thing from Glitter Force is a prime example of this.

Every time she shows up on screen I just want to... Snap her neck just to shut up that annoying little voice of hers.

- When a character (usually male) does literally everything for a character (usually female), and at the end she ditches him because GIRL POWER! Like, I get it? But, he literally saved your life, you wanna, at least say thank you?

- Repeatedly saying a character's full name and/or title in casual conversation. No. Just, no. People do not talk like that.

- Movies that are super bloody and gory just because THEY CAN BE, and it totally ruins the story because every second you feel like vomiting.

- Sequels that remove all character development from the previous movie, especially bad when said character is a jerk.

(Might add more later but this is it for now.)
- Annoying mascots.

That little fairy thing from Glitter Force is a prime example of this.

Every time she shows up on screen I just want to... Snap her neck just to shut up that annoying little voice of hers.

- When a character (usually male) does literally everything for a character (usually female), and at the end she ditches him because GIRL POWER! Like, I get it? But, he literally saved your life, you wanna, at least say thank you?

- Repeatedly saying a character's full name and/or title in casual conversation. No. Just, no. People do not talk like that.

- Movies that are super bloody and gory just because THEY CAN BE, and it totally ruins the story because every second you feel like vomiting.

- Sequels that remove all character development from the previous movie, especially bad when said character is a jerk.

(Might add more later but this is it for now.)
8HtYjYR.jpg art-shop-icon_orig.jpg EE6A8YJ.jpg
- My dad loves Pawn Stars....This comic sums it up. (Link instead of picture cause the pictures are really big. :v)

- I'm getting really sick of "only [x] can save/solve/fix this."
- My dad loves Pawn Stars....This comic sums it up. (Link instead of picture cause the pictures are really big. :v)

- I'm getting really sick of "only [x] can save/solve/fix this."
KvxzF3W.png ♦ adult ♦ he/him ♦ FR Time ♦ kpop fan ♦ pms / pings / friend requests ok ♦ lore

You did well today
When the love interest has no personality whatsoever. Or when a character's personality disappears after they get into a relationship.
When the love interest has no personality whatsoever. Or when a character's personality disappears after they get into a relationship.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
@MagicmakerRose I think I'm going to update the subject to include books, since I keep bringing them up. (Although I'm tackling your responses backwards.)

4. I will never forget reading about Hostel II being made. There's a scene where a woman is hung upside down and a guy goes after her with a scythe, and apparently it's so horrible, the f*****g crew couldn't even watch. (Maybe the cameraperson and the director and that's all.) Who the f**k makes such a gory f*****g movie that the g*****n crew can't even watch it being made?!

(Sorry...horror movies are a sore spot with me. I think they're the worst genre out there.)

3. OMG, YES! This all over!

I was reading a historical fiction book and the author used the name of the protag and the name of one of the other characters SO BLEEPING MUCH that I STILL haven't forgotten them!

That's one where you're ready to strangle the author before you get halfway through the book. >.<
@MagicmakerRose I think I'm going to update the subject to include books, since I keep bringing them up. (Although I'm tackling your responses backwards.)

4. I will never forget reading about Hostel II being made. There's a scene where a woman is hung upside down and a guy goes after her with a scythe, and apparently it's so horrible, the f*****g crew couldn't even watch. (Maybe the cameraperson and the director and that's all.) Who the f**k makes such a gory f*****g movie that the g*****n crew can't even watch it being made?!

(Sorry...horror movies are a sore spot with me. I think they're the worst genre out there.)

3. OMG, YES! This all over!

I was reading a historical fiction book and the author used the name of the protag and the name of one of the other characters SO BLEEPING MUCH that I STILL haven't forgotten them!

That's one where you're ready to strangle the author before you get halfway through the book. >.<
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
@Redeim YES! I got ticked off after a couple of episodes because of the horribly low prices they gave. People have said that's how pawn shops are and I was in doubt...and unfortunately, my dad just confirmed. x_x

But it still pisses me off.
@Redeim YES! I got ticked off after a couple of episodes because of the horribly low prices they gave. People have said that's how pawn shops are and I was in doubt...and unfortunately, my dad just confirmed. x_x

But it still pisses me off.
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9