Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | TV/Movie Thing That Drives You Crazy
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Okay, this one is probably oddly specific to me. In live-action movies and shows, I hate it when two people look too similar. And 'too similar' might not look similar to you at all. I have face blindness. Live-action stuff is very confusing for me.

An example: I needed to watch like three seasons of NCIS to be fully able to tell DiNozzo and McGee apart. When both where in the same shot they looked completely different from each other to me, but once the camera focused on one of them again my mind blanked what the actual differences were. Very confusing, like I said.
Okay, this one is probably oddly specific to me. In live-action movies and shows, I hate it when two people look too similar. And 'too similar' might not look similar to you at all. I have face blindness. Live-action stuff is very confusing for me.

An example: I needed to watch like three seasons of NCIS to be fully able to tell DiNozzo and McGee apart. When both where in the same shot they looked completely different from each other to me, but once the camera focused on one of them again my mind blanked what the actual differences were. Very confusing, like I said.
@Xionahri I can tell you when it might not be face blindness--if you're watching one of the Law & Orders. They'll use an actor for one thing and then bring hir back three to five seasons later in another guest starring stint. (Or the actor will switch iterations. Or both.) I don't mind it, but it might lead people to thinking that they're crazier than they really are. xD

My thing (and this is a me thing) is that I have a heck of a time remembering names. I've been watching Counting Cars for four years now, and I still can't name everyone properly!

That's the advantage of shows like Storage Wars--they pop up a little nametag when someone bids on a unit, so you can try to commit them to memory. I still can't remember the name of the annoying guy (and you'd think I'd learn his first), but that's okay--if I ever ran into him, I could probably say, "YUUUP!" and he'd answer. xDDD
@Xionahri I can tell you when it might not be face blindness--if you're watching one of the Law & Orders. They'll use an actor for one thing and then bring hir back three to five seasons later in another guest starring stint. (Or the actor will switch iterations. Or both.) I don't mind it, but it might lead people to thinking that they're crazier than they really are. xD

My thing (and this is a me thing) is that I have a heck of a time remembering names. I've been watching Counting Cars for four years now, and I still can't name everyone properly!

That's the advantage of shows like Storage Wars--they pop up a little nametag when someone bids on a unit, so you can try to commit them to memory. I still can't remember the name of the annoying guy (and you'd think I'd learn his first), but that's okay--if I ever ran into him, I could probably say, "YUUUP!" and he'd answer. xDDD
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
@Hanakoto

Nope, never watched Law & Order. What they are doing sounds weird, though. Despite that, I think it wouldn't bother me because I can't tell anyway. So maybe that is the one show that is less confusing for me than for non-face-blind people.
@Hanakoto

Nope, never watched Law & Order. What they are doing sounds weird, though. Despite that, I think it wouldn't bother me because I can't tell anyway. So maybe that is the one show that is less confusing for me than for non-face-blind people.
How almost every teen movie starts:
Random mother/father figure speaking as the camera pans over a messy room and/or house, "(Insert name here), get up, you're late for school!", and then it goes on from there.

Another is the fact that everyone thinks all superhero movies need some aspect of romance.

Or that every movie aimed at teens MUST have romance.

Twist villains that have NEVER even slightly hinted that they are evil, not even a passing glare or dark joke, NOTHING!
How almost every teen movie starts:
Random mother/father figure speaking as the camera pans over a messy room and/or house, "(Insert name here), get up, you're late for school!", and then it goes on from there.

Another is the fact that everyone thinks all superhero movies need some aspect of romance.

Or that every movie aimed at teens MUST have romance.

Twist villains that have NEVER even slightly hinted that they are evil, not even a passing glare or dark joke, NOTHING!
[quote name="MistLeaf" date="2018-08-29 08:59:27" ] "I can't dance." -Proceeds to dance effortlessly ten seconds after love interest encourages them to- This bothers me so much. Sometimes, when someone says they can't dance, it's not because they lack confidence. It's because they can't dance. [/quote] I hate this trope. And the same goes for the "'I can't sing.', *Then Sings in the most beautiful, well practiced voice ever.*
MistLeaf wrote on 2018-08-29 08:59:27:
"I can't dance." -Proceeds to dance effortlessly ten seconds after love interest encourages them to-

This bothers me so much. Sometimes, when someone says they can't dance, it's not because they lack confidence. It's because they can't dance.
I hate this trope. And the same goes for the "'I can't sing.', *Then Sings in the most beautiful, well practiced voice ever.*
Flashbacks to stuff that happened in a earlier episode, or when an entire episode consists of nothing but flashbacks to previous episodes. It's hella boring and a waste of time.
Flashbacks to stuff that happened in a earlier episode, or when an entire episode consists of nothing but flashbacks to previous episodes. It's hella boring and a waste of time.
forumsig_by_plantfeathers-datch91.png
@Flamestar03 I don't remember if it was this thread or one on another site, but the fact that dystopian books ALWAYS seem to have a love triangle (or maybe it's just YA books in general). SERIOUSLY?! No one I went to school with ever had a love triangle...what's up with that shirt?! (The closest I ever came was inviting a guy friend to Prom when I wanted to go with my crush. :P )

@Trafa1garLaw I'm firmly in the same camp as the people who say that clip shows are thrown in when the writers are desperate for ideas. The only CS I've ever seen that I liked was less a CS and more a bunch of short stories--that was the time that the Simpsons did an episode of potential spinoffs.
@Flamestar03 I don't remember if it was this thread or one on another site, but the fact that dystopian books ALWAYS seem to have a love triangle (or maybe it's just YA books in general). SERIOUSLY?! No one I went to school with ever had a love triangle...what's up with that shirt?! (The closest I ever came was inviting a guy friend to Prom when I wanted to go with my crush. :P )

@Trafa1garLaw I'm firmly in the same camp as the people who say that clip shows are thrown in when the writers are desperate for ideas. The only CS I've ever seen that I liked was less a CS and more a bunch of short stories--that was the time that the Simpsons did an episode of potential spinoffs.
waCd6Af.gif0YZijdT.gif
The "Bury your Gays" trope is something that ticks me off, if your community is literally only there for the representation.

oh and,,, things happening without foreshadowing
The "Bury your Gays" trope is something that ticks me off, if your community is literally only there for the representation.

zidanerun.gif b / zid - they/them
When the main character meets The Person Of The Opposite Sex™ and it's obvious right away that this person will be the love interest. Just... ugh.
When the main character meets The Person Of The Opposite Sex™ and it's obvious right away that this person will be the love interest. Just... ugh.
arcane.png
[ Howard Phillips Lovecraft Fandragon Quest ]
[ The Wolves of Mibu Project ]
I like notifications, so please don't hesitate to ping me~
arcaneshade.png
[quote name="PardonPopplio" date="2018-08-30 12:28:54" ] The "Bury your Gays" trope is something that ticks me off, if your community is literally only there for the representation. oh and,,, things happening without foreshadowing [/quote] i can feel heavy voltron shade being thrown here
PardonPopplio wrote on 2018-08-30 12:28:54:

i can feel heavy voltron shade being thrown here
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9