Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | the guide of guides (for new players <3)
[center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/pdPq6WD2/the-guide-of-guides.png[/img][/center] hey, i'm kate, and i'm what you might call "a veteran player." i've been on fr since 2013, and so i think i can say: i've seen lots and lots and lots of guides! but my friends want to get into flight rising, and when i was looking at the guide masterpost, i realized that many of the guides don't cover what i consider to be critical elements of the game! some guides are clearly geared towards experienced players, and a bunch of my favorite guides aren't included because they aren't being updated-- but they're still really useful because nothing has really changed since they were finished! so, i present to you: the guide of guides! (aka the new player's handbook) this guide includes everything i think a new player needs to know, everything previous new players have asked me when i was giving people tips, and other helpful hints i've picked up over the past 8 years! [img]https://i.postimg.cc/2STrJ5PG/gg-getting-started.png[/img] as a new player, i'm sure you have a lot of questions-- why are those bears so expensive??? what does 1:1300 mean?? where do i start??? well, never fear-- i've got you. to start off, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1467442]this is the official FAQ page[/url], which you should read when you sign up. i'll wait :D ...ok, have you read the FAQ? thank you for humoring me [emoji=familiar heart size=1] now, let's dissect the side bar! [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/CLs9mQ8p/Screenshot-5.png[/img][nextcol] starting off, we have the [b]clan section.[/b] [quote]your [b]dragon lair[/b] isn't just where you look at and organize your dragons, it's also where you add apparel, genes and familiars to your dragons. you can write cute little bios, add art and text formatting of your own![/quote] [quote]your [b]nesting grounds[/b] are where you breed dragons and hatch eggs.[/quote] [quote] you can [b]gather items[/b] of six different types: the four different food types, and the more valuable digging and scavenging items. we'll get back to these six types later on![/quote] [quote]your [b]clan profile[/b] is the same page you get when you click on your name. it's a bio-- if you've played another pet game, you should be pretty familiar with the layout, but the basics are: a text box to introduce yourself, your player stats, your most recent posts, your friends, and any comments people might leave on your page.[/quote] [quote]your [b]hoard[/b] is where your items are kept. there are two modes: hoard and vault. anything in your hoard can be sold for its base price (listed in its description) whereas everything in your vault can't be sold! again, we'll come back to the item categories later.[/quote] [quote] the [b]bestiary[/b] is where you can keep track of which familiars (the friends/pets of your dragons) you have, and which ones you don't have! lots of people collect familiars, so this is a handy guide to help them.[/quote] [quote] your [b]messages[/b] are just that: you can send and receive private messages here. you can also trade items and money this way, but I wouldn't trade this way with a stranger, just in case, as there IS a more secure way to trade.[/quote][/columns] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8LPs6ZW/Screenshot-6.png[/img][nextcol]the [b]shop[/b] tab is the simplest tab. [quote]you can buy [b]gems[/b] and [b]merch,[/b] buy items from the site directly in the [b]marketplace,[/b] or buy items from other players in the [b]auction house.[/b][/quote][quote] despite the name, no actual player trading goes on in the [b]trading post,[/b] instead, there are different game elements like trivia, item "quests," an item grab pile, bulk item trading for rarer items, the raffle and Baldwin, the potions dragon ([emoji=heart size=1][emoji=heart size=1][emoji=heart size=1])[/quote] [quote]the [b]crossroads[/b] is where you can safely and securely trade items, dragons or get payment for art, skins, writing, etc.[/quote] [quote] the [b]custom skins[/b] tab has the guide for making skins, the psds for each dragon, and the form to submit a custom skin. if you're an artist, you might want to look into learning how to make skins--- umas (user made skins) are always in demand! [/quote] [quote] [b]festive favors[/b] is where you can buy holiday items for holiday currency![/quote][/columns] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/3JfF8j5D/Screenshot-7.png[/img][nextcol][quote]the [b]play[/b] section has all the onsite games, kept in the [b]fairgrounds[/b] tab, and the battle element, the [b]coliseum.[/b][/quote] [quote]this is also where you can find out which flight is leading in the [b]dominance[/b] fight. the perks of your flight having dominance are explained on this tab-- i'll explain dominance further a little later.[/quote][/columns] [columns][img]https://i.postimg.cc/858VqrP2/Screenshot-8.png[/img][nextcol] the [b]library[/b] tab, as you might imagine, contains all the site lore and information. [quote]the [b]forums[/b] are here, but they need their own section. [/quote][quote]the [b]dev tracker[/b] has all the site changes and developer posts. if you'd like to see what's changed over time, these are a lot of fun to read![/quote] [quote]the [b]which waystone[/b] (hehehe) is the runic stone in the lower right hand corner. it's designed to streamline the "chores" of flight rising (gathering items, bonding with your familiars, playing games for treasure, etc.) and to help new players figure out the game! it's actually really useful for keeping track of what you've already done today.[/quote] [quote]the [b]world map[/b] shows you the world of sornieth in living color-- with text entries! take a look at it, and see where in your flight's territory you'd like to situate your clan (you can change this now!)[/quote] [quote] the [b] search[/b] function lets you search for users, dragons, and forum posts (although in recent years, they've added a much better native search function to the forums, so i would only use the search tab for users or dragons.)[/quote] [quote]the [b]dressing room[/b] lets you preview any apparel on any dragon-- this is a relatively new feature, and i love love love it. my droutfits (dragon outfits) are way better now. i have some tips for navigating it, so there will be a dressing room section later on :D[/quote] [quote]the [b]scrying workshop[/b] lets you check if two dragons are related or not (dragon incest is not cool,) preview hatchlings before you breed two dragons, and preview what different dragons would look like with different genes, colors, breeds, etc.[/quote] [quote]the [b] game database[/b] includes info on all the items in the game, all the monsters you can battle, and all the coliseum venues. [/quote] [quote]the [b]encyclopedia[/b] has all the lore of sornieth, sorted into handy categories![/quote] [quote]the [b]media[/b] tab has flight rising backgrounds and icons[/quote] [quote] and last but not least, the [b]support[/b] tab! if you have any problems, file a support claim with the devs![/quote][/columns]
the-guide-of-guides.png

hey, i'm kate, and i'm what you might call "a veteran player." i've been on fr since 2013, and so i think i can say: i've seen lots and lots and lots of guides! but my friends want to get into flight rising, and when i was looking at the guide masterpost, i realized that many of the guides don't cover what i consider to be critical elements of the game! some guides are clearly geared towards experienced players, and a bunch of my favorite guides aren't included because they aren't being updated-- but they're still really useful because nothing has really changed since they were finished! so, i present to you: the guide of guides! (aka the new player's handbook)

this guide includes everything i think a new player needs to know, everything previous new players have asked me when i was giving people tips, and other helpful hints i've picked up over the past 8 years!

gg-getting-started.png

as a new player, i'm sure you have a lot of questions-- why are those bears so expensive??? what does 1:1300 mean?? where do i start???

well, never fear-- i've got you. to start off, this is the official FAQ page, which you should read when you sign up. i'll wait :D

...ok, have you read the FAQ? thank you for humoring me now, let's dissect the side bar!
Screenshot-5.png starting off, we have the clan section.
Quote:
your dragon lair isn't just where you look at and organize your dragons, it's also where you add apparel, genes and familiars to your dragons. you can write cute little bios, add art and text formatting of your own!
Quote:
your nesting grounds are where you breed dragons and hatch eggs.
Quote:
you can gather items of six different types: the four different food types, and the more valuable digging and scavenging items. we'll get back to these six types later on!
Quote:
your clan profile is the same page you get when you click on your name. it's a bio-- if you've played another pet game, you should be pretty familiar with the layout, but the basics are: a text box to introduce yourself, your player stats, your most recent posts, your friends, and any comments people might leave on your page.
Quote:
your hoard is where your items are kept. there are two modes: hoard and vault. anything in your hoard can be sold for its base price (listed in its description) whereas everything in your vault can't be sold! again, we'll come back to the item categories later.
Quote:
the bestiary is where you can keep track of which familiars (the friends/pets of your dragons) you have, and which ones you don't have! lots of people collect familiars, so this is a handy guide to help them.
Quote:
your messages are just that: you can send and receive private messages here. you can also trade items and money this way, but I wouldn't trade this way with a stranger, just in case, as there IS a more secure way to trade.
Screenshot-6.png the shop tab is the simplest tab.
Quote:
you can buy gems and merch, buy items from the site directly in the marketplace, or buy items from other players in the auction house.
Quote:
despite the name, no actual player trading goes on in the trading post, instead, there are different game elements like trivia, item "quests," an item grab pile, bulk item trading for rarer items, the raffle and Baldwin, the potions dragon ()
Quote:
the crossroads is where you can safely and securely trade items, dragons or get payment for art, skins, writing, etc.
Quote:
the custom skins tab has the guide for making skins, the psds for each dragon, and the form to submit a custom skin. if you're an artist, you might want to look into learning how to make skins--- umas (user made skins) are always in demand!
Quote:
festive favors is where you can buy holiday items for holiday currency!
Screenshot-7.png
Quote:
the play section has all the onsite games, kept in the fairgrounds tab, and the battle element, the coliseum.
Quote:
this is also where you can find out which flight is leading in the dominance fight. the perks of your flight having dominance are explained on this tab-- i'll explain dominance further a little later.
Screenshot-8.png the library tab, as you might imagine, contains all the site lore and information.
Quote:
the forums are here, but they need their own section.
Quote:
the dev tracker has all the site changes and developer posts. if you'd like to see what's changed over time, these are a lot of fun to read!
Quote:
the which waystone (hehehe) is the runic stone in the lower right hand corner. it's designed to streamline the "chores" of flight rising (gathering items, bonding with your familiars, playing games for treasure, etc.) and to help new players figure out the game! it's actually really useful for keeping track of what you've already done today.
Quote:
the world map shows you the world of sornieth in living color-- with text entries! take a look at it, and see where in your flight's territory you'd like to situate your clan (you can change this now!)
Quote:
the search function lets you search for users, dragons, and forum posts (although in recent years, they've added a much better native search function to the forums, so i would only use the search tab for users or dragons.)
Quote:
the dressing room lets you preview any apparel on any dragon-- this is a relatively new feature, and i love love love it. my droutfits (dragon outfits) are way better now. i have some tips for navigating it, so there will be a dressing room section later on :D
Quote:
the scrying workshop lets you check if two dragons are related or not (dragon incest is not cool,) preview hatchlings before you breed two dragons, and preview what different dragons would look like with different genes, colors, breeds, etc.
Quote:
the game database includes info on all the items in the game, all the monsters you can battle, and all the coliseum venues.
Quote:
the encyclopedia has all the lore of sornieth, sorted into handy categories!
Quote:
the media tab has flight rising backgrounds and icons
Quote:
and last but not least, the support tab! if you have any problems, file a support claim with the devs!

sig-left-2.pngsig-center-1.pngsig-right-2.png
[center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Jh0g73hy/gg-the-guides.png[/img][/center] [center]by section![/center] [center][size=4]for the [b]clan section[/b][/size][/center] [quote]the [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1777871]dragon bio resources: comprehensive[/url][/b] guide has all the resources and assets you need to make your dragon bios really pretty! there are templates included, so you won't need to learn how to format code to structure your dragon's info.[/quote] [quote]lots of people like to sell their dragon hatchlings on the forums-- if you have a popular hatchery, you can make a lot of money this way! however, if you're going to sell hatchlings, you need to be able to tell people how likely it is that a hatchling with x y or z color will be hatched, or which of their parents' genes they'll likely inherit. to convey this information, fr players have created the breeding card! while they can be much fancier, when you're starting out, this [b][url=http://fr.jithee.name/card.html]breeding card generator[/url][/b] will get you where you need to go! [b][url=http://keelanrosa.com/fr/]this one[/url][/b] has percentages, but keelanrosa isn't always active, so it usually doesn't have all of the current genes.[/quote] [center][size=4]for the [b]shop section[/b][/size][/center] [quote]the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2497014][b]data-based money-making guide[/b][/url] has all the tips you could ever need to make money. it's the only money making guide i use! please read through the full guide, as there are multiple pages.[/quote] [quote][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1128248][b]this guide[/b][/url] has all the answers to [b]tomo's trivia tablet[/b][/quote] [quote]when you want to get into baldwin's bubbling brew (where you throw less valuable items into the cauldron, and receive ingredients-- then you take the ingredients and use them in recipes to make everything from familiars to battle stones,) the [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2135917/1]baldwin's brew visual guide[/url][/b] is the dragon alchemist's field handbook. you can keep it open and check back at any time![/quote] [center][size=4]for the [b]play section[/b][/size][/center] [quote]see the data-based money making guide for the most effective way to make money in the fairgrounds.[/quote] [quote]remember how I said i'd go into the coliseum in more detail later? now is later. the coliseum is one of my favorite parts of flight rising, but lots of people hate using it. i think this is because people spend way too much time stressing out over team builds, and they don't want to grind. you see, in the coliseum, you get three dragons, who will go out into the world of sornieth and fight beasts. these beasts drop all sorts of items, from food, to apparel, chests, familiars, battle items, you name it. the trick to getting all these things is to properly train and (battle)stone your dragons. there are soooo many coli guides it isn't even funny, but [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1040710]how to train your dragon, by duke[/url][/b] is THE macdaddy of all coli guides. you will not need any other guides, it is absolutely still relevant, even though it hasn't been updated in years. the reason it hasn't been updated in years is because it doesn't need to be! i use this guide to train all of my dragons, and all of my dragons can grind perfectly in the coliseum. edit: thank you very much to halcandra for pointing out that some of the builds suggested in duke's guide ARE a little outdated! it's still a great leveling guide, but there are some very specific and VERY cool builds in this[b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2441268] newer guide by juliuscaesar.[/url][/b] have fun! [emoji=familiar heart size=1][/quote] [quote]i know this might be more suited to the festive favors tab, but I wanted to put these guides after the coli guide, so that you can get acquainted with the coliseum before any holidays come around. that being said, each holiday has its own currency, and you have to collect that currency if you want to buy any of the holiday items from the shop. however, you only get so many gathering turns per day. the solution? grind in the coli during that holiday! but, each coliseum venue has different chances of dropping that currency-- or dropping a chest with a holiday skin AND currency in it. so how do we figure out which venue to grind every holiday? we use one of maki's [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1388514/1#9994325][b]festival coliseum guides![/b][/url] this link is for the shadowbinder's festival, but each guide contains the links for all of the other guides, so you can navigate from there, and bookmark each of them individually, or just bookmark one and navigate from there when each holiday comes around![/quote] [center][size=4]for the [b]library section[/b][/size][/center] [quote]this section is only going to include forum tips, as the forum is huge, has many different subcategories, and there are a lot of guides![/quote] [quote]first up we have the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1047514/1][b]bbcode guide![/b][/url] this is included in the comprehensive dragon bio resources guide, but I'm linking it separately because everything on flight rising uses bbcode, including the forums-- and knowing how to use bbcode will be really helpful for whatever you want to do! try practicing all of these by writing them out in a blank forum post, and previewing your post as you go along. pretty soon, it'll be second nature to you to type out [code][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/38886][i]here's my clan profile![/i][/url][/code] and remember, many of these functions have buttons in the post creator, so once you get the hang of this, you'll be able to highlight parts of your text, hit the button, and voila! bbcode.[/quote] [quote]next, the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/749441][b]forum rules.[/b][/url] these are the general forum rules, but each thread has its own rules. before you make your first post in a thread, check out the pinned posts at the top-- each thread should have the relevant rules post pinned at the top of the thread. some general rules are: no profanity (fr is an all ages site,) no bigotry, and be polite! if you're unsure if something you want to post might violate a rule, go to the help section and ask. or ask here![/quote] ok, and that is the guide of guides! this is certainly not supposed to comprehensive, it's just my two cents that I think will help new players get into fr. please remember to check out the guides thread, and the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2815153][b]guide masterpost.[/b][/url] if you've been on fr for a while, and you want to recommend a guide to me, let me know! if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns, ping me @badthings !
gg-the-guides.png
by section!
for the clan section
Quote:
the dragon bio resources: comprehensive guide has all the resources and assets you need to make your dragon bios really pretty! there are templates included, so you won't need to learn how to format code to structure your dragon's info.
Quote:
lots of people like to sell their dragon hatchlings on the forums-- if you have a popular hatchery, you can make a lot of money this way! however, if you're going to sell hatchlings, you need to be able to tell people how likely it is that a hatchling with x y or z color will be hatched, or which of their parents' genes they'll likely inherit. to convey this information, fr players have created the breeding card! while they can be much fancier, when you're starting out, this breeding card generator will get you where you need to go! this one has percentages, but keelanrosa isn't always active, so it usually doesn't have all of the current genes.
for the shop section
Quote:
the data-based money-making guide has all the tips you could ever need to make money. it's the only money making guide i use! please read through the full guide, as there are multiple pages.
Quote:
this guide has all the answers to tomo's trivia tablet
Quote:
when you want to get into baldwin's bubbling brew (where you throw less valuable items into the cauldron, and receive ingredients-- then you take the ingredients and use them in recipes to make everything from familiars to battle stones,) the baldwin's brew visual guide is the dragon alchemist's field handbook. you can keep it open and check back at any time!
for the play section
Quote:
see the data-based money making guide for the most effective way to make money in the fairgrounds.
Quote:
remember how I said i'd go into the coliseum in more detail later? now is later.

the coliseum is one of my favorite parts of flight rising, but lots of people hate using it. i think this is because people spend way too much time stressing out over team builds, and they don't want to grind. you see, in the coliseum, you get three dragons, who will go out into the world of sornieth and fight beasts.

these beasts drop all sorts of items, from food, to apparel, chests, familiars, battle items, you name it. the trick to getting all these things is to properly train and (battle)stone your dragons.

there are soooo many coli guides it isn't even funny, but how to train your dragon, by duke is THE macdaddy of all coli guides. you will not need any other guides, it is absolutely still relevant, even though it hasn't been updated in years. the reason it hasn't been updated in years is because it doesn't need to be! i use this guide to train all of my dragons, and all of my dragons can grind perfectly in the coliseum.

edit: thank you very much to halcandra for pointing out that some of the builds suggested in duke's guide ARE a little outdated! it's still a great leveling guide, but there are some very specific and VERY cool builds in this newer guide by juliuscaesar. have fun!
Quote:
i know this might be more suited to the festive favors tab, but I wanted to put these guides after the coli guide, so that you can get acquainted with the coliseum before any holidays come around.

that being said, each holiday has its own currency, and you have to collect that currency if you want to buy any of the holiday items from the shop. however, you only get so many gathering turns per day. the solution? grind in the coli during that holiday! but, each coliseum venue has different chances of dropping that currency-- or dropping a chest with a holiday skin AND currency in it.

so how do we figure out which venue to grind every holiday? we use one of maki's festival coliseum guides! this link is for the shadowbinder's festival, but each guide contains the links for all of the other guides, so you can navigate from there, and bookmark each of them individually, or just bookmark one and navigate from there when each holiday comes around!
for the library section
Quote:
this section is only going to include forum tips, as the forum is huge, has many different subcategories, and there are a lot of guides!
Quote:
first up we have the bbcode guide! this is included in the comprehensive dragon bio resources guide, but I'm linking it separately because everything on flight rising uses bbcode, including the forums-- and knowing how to use bbcode will be really helpful for whatever you want to do!

try practicing all of these by writing them out in a blank forum post, and previewing your post as you go along. pretty soon, it'll be second nature to you to type out
Code:
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/38886][i]here's my clan profile![/i][/url]

and remember, many of these functions have buttons in the post creator, so once you get the hang of this, you'll be able to highlight parts of your text, hit the button, and voila! bbcode.
Quote:
next, the forum rules. these are the general forum rules, but each thread has its own rules. before you make your first post in a thread, check out the pinned posts at the top-- each thread should have the relevant rules post pinned at the top of the thread. some general rules are: no profanity (fr is an all ages site,) no bigotry, and be polite! if you're unsure if something you want to post might violate a rule, go to the help section and ask. or ask here!

ok, and that is the guide of guides! this is certainly not supposed to comprehensive, it's just my two cents that I think will help new players get into fr. please remember to check out the guides thread, and the guide masterpost. if you've been on fr for a while, and you want to recommend a guide to me, let me know! if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns, ping me @badthings !
@gaycaesar

wow, thank you so much! This helped me explain FR to my friends who just started :)
@gaycaesar

wow, thank you so much! This helped me explain FR to my friends who just started :)
VsoSnU5.png
Hey, nice collection of guides, straight to the point for beginners! Wouldn't want to see it any other way.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily call Duke's guide the only coli guide you need. The leveling portion, sure, that still works and doesn't need updating, but the suggested builds are very old and catered to Coli 1.0 where every build lost a turn at the start of a battle. 117 STR Mire in particular is honestly not great since it sacrifices STR for now unneeded QCK. The farmers work for their advertised purpose but the STR value is kind of arbitrary. Additionally, there's no mention of a Ghostlight fodder build which outperforms Mire at lower training levels.
The reason why I'm saying this is because I'd recommend also linking this coli build list. The coli has changed a lot and I personally think that we shouldn't have newbies stick to outdated builds just because the attached leveling guide is still good.

I may make a newbie's guide to profit exalting in the future which outlines the difference between all those confusing builds, but let's not talk about that; I just wanted to point all of that out as a Coli nut.
Hey, nice collection of guides, straight to the point for beginners! Wouldn't want to see it any other way.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily call Duke's guide the only coli guide you need. The leveling portion, sure, that still works and doesn't need updating, but the suggested builds are very old and catered to Coli 1.0 where every build lost a turn at the start of a battle. 117 STR Mire in particular is honestly not great since it sacrifices STR for now unneeded QCK. The farmers work for their advertised purpose but the STR value is kind of arbitrary. Additionally, there's no mention of a Ghostlight fodder build which outperforms Mire at lower training levels.
The reason why I'm saying this is because I'd recommend also linking this coli build list. The coli has changed a lot and I personally think that we shouldn't have newbies stick to outdated builds just because the attached leveling guide is still good.

I may make a newbie's guide to profit exalting in the future which outlines the difference between all those confusing builds, but let's not talk about that; I just wanted to point all of that out as a Coli nut.
4Dclvwp.png
@halcandra

no, thank you for pointing this out! this is a great guide, and after looking it over, despite being old-fashioned, I might be forced to use some modern builds ;) (also it's so funny that the person who made that guide is juliuscaesar.... cinematic parallels) i'll add it to the coli section <3
@halcandra

no, thank you for pointing this out! this is a great guide, and after looking it over, despite being old-fashioned, I might be forced to use some modern builds ;) (also it's so funny that the person who made that guide is juliuscaesar.... cinematic parallels) i'll add it to the coli section <3
@gaycaesar Thank you. This is most helpful after being gone for 2 years...
@hawkgirl6511 self ping for later
@gaycaesar Thank you. This is most helpful after being gone for 2 years...
@hawkgirl6511 self ping for later
qWdtKd.png
@badthings good guide! Not a newbie but I would definitely have loved this back in the day. Also, just a reminder to edit the bit on how to ping you, since you’re not gaycaesar any longer!
@badthings good guide! Not a newbie but I would definitely have loved this back in the day. Also, just a reminder to edit the bit on how to ping you, since you’re not gaycaesar any longer!
IMG_4595.png
image1.png
5hF3FGk.png
image0.png
image0.png
image3.png
@elementmaster

i’m so glad you enjoyed it :D and thanks for reminding me!
@elementmaster

i’m so glad you enjoyed it :D and thanks for reminding me!
@badthings thank you so much! This really helps me understand the whole concept of the game!
@badthings thank you so much! This really helps me understand the whole concept of the game!
@BunnySox
@FluffyDragons101
@BunnySox
@FluffyDragons101