Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What happened to scattersight vial value
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3004107#message]they did sort of acknowledge that this was a backpedal from what they had previously said[/url] but not that it was really a betrayal. i think the important thing to take away from the eyepocalypse decision was that it marked a new direction for FR and staff promised that no such betrayal would happen again. [quote=Undel]We don’t plan to bring back the Vial of Scattersight or any item like it, so we’re moving forward with the following gameplay philosophy in mind: In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game.[/quote]
they did sort of acknowledge that this was a backpedal from what they had previously said but not that it was really a betrayal. i think the important thing to take away from the eyepocalypse decision was that it marked a new direction for FR and staff promised that no such betrayal would happen again.
Undel wrote:
We don’t plan to bring back the Vial of Scattersight or any item like it, so we’re moving forward with the following gameplay philosophy in mind:

In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game.
tumblr_inline_njw5imw9Dw1qg2i5p.gif kipper
he/they • fr+8
___
humanoid art shop (usd slots open)
pfp dragon
about me
__u2HsRAV.gif
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-01-04 08:04:15" ] The value of investments can go down as well as up. Consider that a useful life lesson. [/quote] @ceiswyn Quit patronizing me. Obviously, real life investments can and will go down. This is a different situation. It was made clear that the scattervials would be the only way to get the eye types, and they were retired, meaning a market with a fixed amount of supply that was being used up over time and demand slowly increasing as users joined was created. Therefore, it would always trend upwards. That could be relied upon, because of what the devs promised. Then they went back on their word. That cannot be equivocated to, say, the stock market, because there you actually have no guarantees and no omnipotent authority that gets to decide if something suddenly has zero value anymore by changing the rules of the game. There, it is expected that things go down suddenly. Not here. Not in this situation. Not when this was, for all anybody could predict, as safe an investment as light sprites. If the devs added those to the marketplace tomorrow, wouldn't you be upset as well? Wouldn't you feel betrayed? Of course it was a needed change that fixed eye type access... but that doesn't mean we should've lost on something they promised us would retain its value. They should've given us some kind of compensation. [quote] The fact that older users don’t get to gouge newer users by charging ridiculous prices for a QoL item is… not a bad thing?[/quote] You're talking as if a scattervial cartel was extorting newer users. The seller can't just set any price they want, if people think it's too expensive they can just... not buy. And it will have to go down. As you said, it's a QoL item. Not a necessity.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-01-04 08:04:15:
The value of investments can go down as well as up. Consider that a useful life lesson.
@ceiswyn
Quit patronizing me. Obviously, real life investments can and will go down.

This is a different situation. It was made clear that the scattervials would be the only way to get the eye types, and they were retired, meaning a market with a fixed amount of supply that was being used up over time and demand slowly increasing as users joined was created. Therefore, it would always trend upwards. That could be relied upon, because of what the devs promised.
Then they went back on their word.
That cannot be equivocated to, say, the stock market, because there you actually have no guarantees and no omnipotent authority that gets to decide if something suddenly has zero value anymore by changing the rules of the game. There, it is expected that things go down suddenly.

Not here. Not in this situation. Not when this was, for all anybody could predict, as safe an investment as light sprites. If the devs added those to the marketplace tomorrow, wouldn't you be upset as well? Wouldn't you feel betrayed?

Of course it was a needed change that fixed eye type access... but that doesn't mean we should've lost on something they promised us would retain its value. They should've given us some kind of compensation.
Quote:
The fact that older users don’t get to gouge newer users by charging ridiculous prices for a QoL item is… not a bad thing?
You're talking as if a scattervial cartel was extorting newer users. The seller can't just set any price they want, if people think it's too expensive they can just... not buy. And it will have to go down. As you said, it's a QoL item. Not a necessity.
5LqH0sj.png
[quote name="ghostpath" date="2022-01-04 08:09:47" ] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3004107#message]they did sort of acknowledge that this was a backpedal from what they had previously said[/url] but not that it was really a betrayal. i think the important thing to take away from the eyepocalypse decision was that it marked a new direction for FR and staff promised that no such betrayal would happen again. [quote=Undel]We don’t plan to bring back the Vial of Scattersight or any item like it, so we’re moving forward with the following gameplay philosophy in mind: In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game.[/quote] [/quote] @Ghostpath How does this mean they acknowledged no betrayal would happen again? All this means is that they say "no more RNG that gets to decide if you can get the dragon you want, only the amount of time you put into it"
ghostpath wrote on 2022-01-04 08:09:47:
they did sort of acknowledge that this was a backpedal from what they had previously said but not that it was really a betrayal. i think the important thing to take away from the eyepocalypse decision was that it marked a new direction for FR and staff promised that no such betrayal would happen again.
Undel wrote:
We don’t plan to bring back the Vial of Scattersight or any item like it, so we’re moving forward with the following gameplay philosophy in mind:

In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game.
@Ghostpath
How does this mean they acknowledged no betrayal would happen again? All this means is that they say "no more RNG that gets to decide if you can get the dragon you want, only the amount of time you put into it"
5LqH0sj.png
i meant more in the thread as a whole they acknowledged it was a backtrack. eg [quote=Undel]With the launch of the system, we released an event-exclusive item—the Vial of Scattersight—that we’d hoped would help replicate that randomized surprise for a few existing dragons. Looking back, we recognize that releasing that item was a mistake. Even though we thought we were providing a quirky item that could extend the eye types system backwards for a few dragons per player, they ended up exacerbating that frustration.[/quote]
i meant more in the thread as a whole they acknowledged it was a backtrack. eg
Undel wrote:
With the launch of the system, we released an event-exclusive item—the Vial of Scattersight—that we’d hoped would help replicate that randomized surprise for a few existing dragons. Looking back, we recognize that releasing that item was a mistake. Even though we thought we were providing a quirky item that could extend the eye types system backwards for a few dragons per player, they ended up exacerbating that frustration.
tumblr_inline_njw5imw9Dw1qg2i5p.gif kipper
he/they • fr+8
___
humanoid art shop (usd slots open)
pfp dragon
about me
__u2HsRAV.gif
@Ghostpath
at least they acknowledged it was a backtrack... but still no hint of awareness of how it affected people.
If they make a mistake in releasing an item, users who played the game as they intended at the time and invested in that item should not be the ones to suffer for that mistake.
@Ghostpath
at least they acknowledged it was a backtrack... but still no hint of awareness of how it affected people.
If they make a mistake in releasing an item, users who played the game as they intended at the time and invested in that item should not be the ones to suffer for that mistake.
5LqH0sj.png
[quote name="Pteranodon" date="2022-01-04 08:08:35" ] While there are always other ways to make money, not all of them are an option for all people, and this was something akin to the old sprite days in that anybody could participate. Nowadays, that privilege of retired items getting ridiculously expensive is limited to those who were around long enough ago. And the one glimpse more recent players got of it was taken from them without warning.[/quote] But not everyone could participate. The players who joined in the three and a half years since Scattersights couldn’t. If they needed different eyes on a dragon they had to pay increasing amounts of money to ‘those who were around long enough ago’. Besides, it’s not like Scattersights are totally worthless! They sell on the AH for tens of gems, which is still a pretty decent profit on what it cost to make/find them. We’re just not making the vast and unreasonable profits we thought we would; and ‘not making as much money as anticipated’ is not exactly a tragedy.
Pteranodon wrote on 2022-01-04 08:08:35:
While there are always other ways to make money, not all of them are an option for all people, and this was something akin to the old sprite days in that anybody could participate. Nowadays, that privilege of retired items getting ridiculously expensive is limited to those who were around long enough ago. And the one glimpse more recent players got of it was taken from them without warning.

But not everyone could participate. The players who joined in the three and a half years since Scattersights couldn’t. If they needed different eyes on a dragon they had to pay increasing amounts of money to ‘those who were around long enough ago’.

Besides, it’s not like Scattersights are totally worthless! They sell on the AH for tens of gems, which is still a pretty decent profit on what it cost to make/find them. We’re just not making the vast and unreasonable profits we thought we would; and ‘not making as much money as anticipated’ is not exactly a tragedy.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
I mean, tbf I don’t think they should’ve just decided THESE fest things come back in Joxar and THESE don’t. I play another game and all that exclusivity did was cause IMMENSE superiority complexes in older players, elitism towards newer players (like if you weren’t dressed “cool enough” you couldn’t get any help), and resentment from some newer players. Led to a lovely strong of angry messages in public areas, hackers targeting old players in specific, and whenever the devs tried to say “we do want to bring this back actually” they got death threats from the toxic group of vets

So yeah, I don’t really believe in hard exclusivity in games (excluding Kickstarter items, that’s fair, people actually paid for those things to EXIST). But seasonal items? Kinda dumb. Like sorry about investments or whatever but honestly hoarding something for like 50-60 currency isn’t like an actual financial investment. It’s just a game with virtual items and fake currency you can’t buy actual stuff with, so I think people should have fun with it more than anything else
I mean, tbf I don’t think they should’ve just decided THESE fest things come back in Joxar and THESE don’t. I play another game and all that exclusivity did was cause IMMENSE superiority complexes in older players, elitism towards newer players (like if you weren’t dressed “cool enough” you couldn’t get any help), and resentment from some newer players. Led to a lovely strong of angry messages in public areas, hackers targeting old players in specific, and whenever the devs tried to say “we do want to bring this back actually” they got death threats from the toxic group of vets

So yeah, I don’t really believe in hard exclusivity in games (excluding Kickstarter items, that’s fair, people actually paid for those things to EXIST). But seasonal items? Kinda dumb. Like sorry about investments or whatever but honestly hoarding something for like 50-60 currency isn’t like an actual financial investment. It’s just a game with virtual items and fake currency you can’t buy actual stuff with, so I think people should have fun with it more than anything else
unknown.png
[quote name="Pteranodon" date="2022-01-04 08:15:08" ]Not here. Not in this situation. Not when this was, for all anybody could predict, as safe an investment as light sprites. If the devs added those to the marketplace tomorrow, wouldn't you be upset as well? Wouldn't you feel betrayed?[/quote] Actually, I’d be really happy, since I don’t have one and could finally get one [emoji=fae tongue size=1] [quote]Of course it was a needed change that fixed eye type access... but that doesn't mean we should've lost on something they promised us would retain its value. They should've given us some kind of compensation.[/quote] Why? We didn’t lose anything. We still have the Scattersights, and the Scattersights still have a function. The inability to make a massive profit is not the same as a loss.
Pteranodon wrote on 2022-01-04 08:15:08:
Not here. Not in this situation. Not when this was, for all anybody could predict, as safe an investment as light sprites. If the devs added those to the marketplace tomorrow, wouldn't you be upset as well? Wouldn't you feel betrayed?

Actually, I’d be really happy, since I don’t have one and could finally get one
Quote:
Of course it was a needed change that fixed eye type access... but that doesn't mean we should've lost on something they promised us would retain its value. They should've given us some kind of compensation.

Why? We didn’t lose anything. We still have the Scattersights, and the Scattersights still have a function.

The inability to make a massive profit is not the same as a loss.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
I’m very glad that this update happened because I can now consider eye types to be a part of my projects now! I also have a huge hoarding problem with dragons I didn’t like (Eldritch isn’t…very favorable). Because these eyes were “special,” I just struggled to try to get rid of them. With that sentiment gone, I was free to finally exalt these dragons and no regrets doing so. Fortunately, I really loved my 3 primals and I was planning to sell 2 of them but ended up keeping. Even after the eye update, I still love them and I’m in slow process for gening 1!

However, I do know people can have a different playstyle or had invested in these scattersights. And for that, I wish the staff could had communicated better for you guys. I know there was a huge suggestion thread that the eyes should be usable outside of scattersights or make changes for people with dragons prior to the update. But, this did end up harming people who liked the RNG behind these eyes. I would also say it’s rather difficult to have retired items to invest in as there’s Joxar boxes. I kind of wished it was rather all retired items or nothing at all to stay equal.
I’m very glad that this update happened because I can now consider eye types to be a part of my projects now! I also have a huge hoarding problem with dragons I didn’t like (Eldritch isn’t…very favorable). Because these eyes were “special,” I just struggled to try to get rid of them. With that sentiment gone, I was free to finally exalt these dragons and no regrets doing so. Fortunately, I really loved my 3 primals and I was planning to sell 2 of them but ended up keeping. Even after the eye update, I still love them and I’m in slow process for gening 1!

However, I do know people can have a different playstyle or had invested in these scattersights. And for that, I wish the staff could had communicated better for you guys. I know there was a huge suggestion thread that the eyes should be usable outside of scattersights or make changes for people with dragons prior to the update. But, this did end up harming people who liked the RNG behind these eyes. I would also say it’s rather difficult to have retired items to invest in as there’s Joxar boxes. I kind of wished it was rather all retired items or nothing at all to stay equal.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
Oh no not again
Oh no not again
xOuzD3k.png 90444046.png Bj9vK4V.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7